Tulane 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

In agreement with PDaddy's "the info cited directly above is grossly misleading."

Many firms prefer to do resume collection from Tulane rather than sending somebody down for OCI, and from what I can gather from the people in ADR department at the firm I am leaving, this trend will be increasing in the near future.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

totebags wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:[


A jump is a jump. And 'Bama is likely to see more improvement with more stability. I really don't think anyone can effectively refute the argument that, to an extent, rankings both cause and result from employment prospects. That's really all I am saying. It's common sense.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby baboon309 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:06 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
superflush wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If Tulane were to be ranked at #30 this year, trust that there would be more employers interested in Tulane, just like more recruiters are probably looking at Indiana grads these days.

:roll:



Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

check this out

--LinkRemoved--

There were only 35 firms/government agencies/wutever OCI in Tulane last yr!!!
It`s worse than a lot of T2ssssss! Even Stetson had 31 of them :)

As for IUB, the number was 58 which is a little bit lower than most of T30 or T-40.


At first I was like wow, that really is making it look like I am about to waste 105k. And then I looked at UF and they had 105 OCI and I was like aww shit ! WTF am I doing ?!?!?!

And then I looked at GWU's and they had one. One OCI. Does that make UF a btr invmnt than GWU? Hell no.

Then I realized than this is essentially a worthless way to judge a school.


What are you talking about? They had 301!!! I think that it's a good way to examine whether a school is overranked or not. You should compare this information with NLJ's go to schoo list and USNEWS. Once you've done that, it`s very easy to tell which school is overranked/underranked. I'll name a few ( IUB and TTTTTTTULANE )

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:24 pm

as the above poster has stated, it is misleading cause firms do not want to travel all the way down to LANO. That being said, I would agree that Tulane is hurting right now.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby pocket herc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:24 pm

first of all, baboon309 is obnoxious. As to questions about job prospects from Tulane, from what I have experienced here things presently are certainly challenging, but Tulane hardly struggles to the extent that lower ranked schools do. Tulane is, to paraphrase, who we thought it was, a T-1 school, strong but not elite, generally pretty well respected, and in some parts of the country has a reputation that belies its rank. If you do well here, you will be fine. If you don't, you will have to hustle. Also, in every other respect, Tulane is simply great. New Orleans is incredible, at least as far as I am concerned, and most people (if not all) end up falling in love with it. If you have the option of attending the elite schools, then it would be foolish to pass them up for Tulane, but beyond those choice schools, it is a pretty great place to end up.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:25 pm

As are other higher ranked and lower ranked schools.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby pocket herc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:30 pm

no argument there

User avatar
totebags
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby totebags » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm

baboon309 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
superflush wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

check this out

--LinkRemoved--

There were only 35 firms/government agencies/wutever OCI in Tulane last yr!!!
It`s worse than a lot of T2ssssss! Even Stetson had 31 of them :)

As for IUB, the number was 58 which is a little bit lower than most of T30 or T-40.


At first I was like wow, that really is making it look like I am about to waste 105k. And then I looked at UF and they had 105 OCI and I was like aww shit ! WTF am I doing ?!?!?!

And then I looked at GWU's and they had one. One OCI. Does that make UF a btr invmnt than GWU? Hell no.

Then I realized than this is essentially a worthless way to judge a school.


What are you talking about? They had 301!!! I think that it's a good way to examine whether a school is overranked or not. You should compare this information with NLJ's go to schoo list and USNEWS. Once you've done that, it`s very easy to tell which school is overranked/underranked. I'll name a few ( IUB and TTTTTTTULANE )



What are you doing in this TTTTTTTTHREAD!?!?!?!?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 am

baboon309 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Not exactly. Last year Alabama reported that they had like a 40% increase in on-campus interviewers (rough estimate). So it would appear that there is at least some immediate response to the rankings.


Alabama had 15 OCIs last yr!!! They probably had 10-11 OCIs a year before! Woohooo! What a big jummmmmmmmmpppp!


Ha, ... that argument is flawed because it fails to take into consideration that Alabama's OCI firm numbers were so low that a 40% is still rather meaningless.
Last edited by superflush on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 am

gwuorbust wrote:And then I looked at GWU's and they had one. One OCI.


I can tell you with certainty that GW had more than 1 firm at their OCI. As a matter of fact they had 300 more than that. And a few years ago, they had more than 500.

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 am

Has Tulane reached its capacity of acceptances? What's with the 163 solid green line being broken on LSN? Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years. Wish we could get some feedback as to whether or not Tulane has reached its capacity or if they still have more acceptances to give out.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Has Tulane reached its capacity of acceptances? What's with the 163 solid green line being broken on LSN? Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years. Wish we could get some feedback as to whether or not Tulane has reached its capacity or if they still have more acceptances to give out.


Well, its not unreasonable for the standards to go up year after year (or rather, from one year to the next).

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 am

superflush wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Has Tulane reached its capacity of acceptances? What's with the 163 solid green line being broken on LSN? Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years. Wish we could get some feedback as to whether or not Tulane has reached its capacity or if they still have more acceptances to give out.


Well, its not unreasonable for the standards to go up year after year (or rather, from one year to the next).


Not a valid response. Anyone else?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
superflush wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Has Tulane reached its capacity of acceptances? What's with the 163 solid green line being broken on LSN? Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years. Wish we could get some feedback as to whether or not Tulane has reached its capacity or if they still have more acceptances to give out.


Well, its not unreasonable for the standards to go up year after year (or rather, from one year to the next).


Not a valid response. Anyone else?


Um, okay. All I'm saying is that just because there are people who are getting rejected with certain numbers (numbers that people hadn't gotten rejected or wl'd before), doesn't necessarily mean that they have no more acceptances. I'm sure they want to see what kind of yield they get on deposits from the prospective students that they have already admitted.

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:13 am

superflush wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
superflush wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Has Tulane reached its capacity of acceptances? What's with the 163 solid green line being broken on LSN? Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years. Wish we could get some feedback as to whether or not Tulane has reached its capacity or if they still have more acceptances to give out.


Well, its not unreasonable for the standards to go up year after year (or rather, from one year to the next).


Not a valid response. Anyone else?


Um, okay. All I'm saying is that just because there are people who are getting rejected with certain numbers (numbers that people hadn't gotten rejected or wl'd before), doesn't necessarily mean that they have no more acceptances. I'm sure they want to see what kind of yield they get on deposits from the prospective students that they have already admitted.


Bold=Valid. Previous response not valid as the pattern held until this week, thus it has nothing to do with standards going up year after year. Tulane is still trying to hit certain target medians like most schools, and for the last 3 years 163 has been that number (trying to shift the 162 median to 163 as a 1 point jump is more realistic than a 2 or 3 point jump no matter how competitive the cycle is this year).

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby PDaddy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:27 am

gwuorbust wrote:as the above poster has stated, it is misleading cause firms do not want to travel all the way down to LANO. That being said, I would agree that Tulane is hurting right now.


Tulane is so on the rebound, as is NOLA. And I think Tulane's median - and ranking along with it - is about to rise.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Bold=Valid. Previous response not valid as the pattern held until this week, thus it has nothing to do with standards going up year after year. Tulane is still trying to hit certain target medians like most schools, and for the last 3 years 163 has been that number (trying to shift the 162 median to 163 as a 1 point jump is more realistic than a 2 or 3 point jump no matter how competitive the cycle is this year).


How can you say that is has nothing to do with this year? This application cycle is this year. If the standards for admission are slightly higher this year, then that is what I mean by standards increasing from one year to the next. Just because people happened to get rejected or waitlisted in the past few weeks doesn't separate those decisions from this year's application cycle. Some of the people who got rejected or waitlisted in the past few weeks applied earlier in the application cycle. If there was this so called "limit" that you are talking about, then surely those people would have cleared the limit. What you're witnessing is likely the fact that Tulane will be more selective than previous years. Which is completely normal. Also, law schools use the waitlist ... there is nothing uncommon about that. Trying to figure out whether Tulane has "reached its limit" is kind of pointless. Tulane doesn't even know yet, and they will not until they get deposits for students back. This is one of the main purposes of the waitlist.

btw, this is false:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years.

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 am

superflush wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Bold=Valid. Previous response not valid as the pattern held until this week, thus it has nothing to do with standards going up year after year. Tulane is still trying to hit certain target medians like most schools, and for the last 3 years 163 has been that number (trying to shift the 162 median to 163 as a 1 point jump is more realistic than a 2 or 3 point jump no matter how competitive the cycle is this year).


How can you say that is has nothing to do with this year? This application cycle is this year. If the standards for admission are slightly higher this year, then that is what I mean by standards increasing from one year to the next. Just because people happened to get rejected or waitlisted in the past few weeks doesn't separate those decisions from this year's application cycle. Some of the people who got rejected or waitlisted in the past few weeks applied earlier in the application cycle. If there was this so called "limit" that you are talking about, then surely those people would have cleared the limit. What you're witnessing is likely the fact that Tulane will be more selective than previous years. Which is completely normal. Also, law schools use the waitlist ... there is nothing uncommon about that. Trying to figure out whether Tulane has "reached its limit" is kind of pointless. Tulane doesn't even know yet, and they will not until they get deposits for students back. This is one of the main purposes of the waitlist.



btw, this is false:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Prior to this week no one with a 163 and a GPA above 3.0 had ever been waitlisted or rejected in the past 3 years.


The first part is nonsense and demonstrates a total lack of comprehension. My question was whether a new trend has formed this week as a result of Tulane having overplayed its hand in giving out too many acceptances already, and thus having to resort to Waitlisting the remaining 163's when this is not normally Tulane's practice as demonstrated from prior years' evidence (and this year's evidence up until this week).

There was one WL 3 years ago on LSN (my apologies). The remainder holds true for every documented year going back to 2003-2004. This trend was only broken this week suggesting that they have run out of seats until after the deposit deadline. This has nothing to do with a higher admissions standard this year as opposed to other years. If you notice, Tulane rejects plenty of people above 163, they just seemed to have held strong with the 163 line (their 75% mark). I was simply hoping that someone else may have heard some news with regard to Tulane having to hold off on further acceptances via ASW/phone call to admissions/etc...

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:22 am

When does the U.S. News World Report come out for law schools?!

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am

gwuorbust wrote:as the above poster has stated, it is misleading cause firms do not want to travel all the way down to LANO. That being said, I would agree that Tulane is hurting right now.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Ohhh yeah?

Where is TTTTulane then? Help me find it please!

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am

Don't really understand your argument. Aren't you merely proving the point of the person you are quoting while intimating that that person's previous statement is incorrect?

Nobody here disagrees that Tulane is hurting right now, but so are a lot of other good schools.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 pm

superflush wrote:Ha, ... that argument is flawed because it fails to take into consideration that Alabama's OCI firm numbers were so low that a 40% is still rather meaningless.


My point was not that Alabama's jump made a significant difference. My point was that there was an immediate response (which there clearly was).

OCI is not the only way to secure employment for the 2L summer. The all employers (very few exceptions) will take applications from students that attend schools from which they do not OCI.

But regardless, I'm confident about my employment prospects at employers that do not OCI here.

From my experience, employers are very interested in Tulane students.

Tulane had ~30 OCI interviewers (more than some T14s) for 1L's this spring with hundreds [like all other "good" schools] of Simplicity employers/job postings. For students that do not know, Simplicity allows you to apply directly to various employers through one site (you upload documents and profile information). Oh and of the 30, 5 were NLJ 250 (with multiple offices), 5 were public interest (including the Center for Seafarer's Rights in NY), 2 were corporations, 2 military, the New Orleans Hornets, and the rest were non-NLJ250 firms/DA offices. However, they were not solo practitioner firms either (1 was).

I'm not going to lie and say our class of 2009 did well in the NLJ250. But I honestly do not know how many were seeking a job within them. So I really cannot speak to that. However if any prospective student is really on the fence between Tulane and somewhere else, there is a list of permanent employers of the class of 2010 (as of March 11) that I can share with you if you PM me. It's not the entire class, but that class not graduated yet (and also not all have employment have reported it - heck I have a summer job, and I haven't reported it).

True Tulane is not quite as elite as it could be, but that is the decision of the administration (we will have new admin. as of July, which might target US News rank climbing as a goal). Think of it this way: if Tulane randomly jumped to number 30 in two years, would you regret not going there over your other options? If so, you may be choosing schools for the wrong reason.

For example reasonable man (in another thread) noted that after T14, rankings did not matter as much for NLJ250 placement (he worded it more bluntly, of course). The reason for that is T14s are the only programs that traditionally present applicants with a 50%+ chance of big law. Any other school, you are looking at less than a 50% chance at it. And while that chance may vary among schools, it will still be less than 50% (so you are gambling if that is your desired outcome whether you want to attend a "T25" school,"T30" school, or a "T50" school). Once you move past the T14, you need to really look at where the school traditionally places (geographically) and the strength of the school because that will allow you to see where employers are aware of the school and its graduates to the point that they will employ them on a year to year basis.

Tulane usually places about 30% Northeast/16% West/40% south-southwest/14% elsewhere.

Hope that helped.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Bold=Valid. Previous response not valid as the pattern held until this week, thus it has nothing to do with standards going up year after year. Tulane is still trying to hit certain target medians like most schools, and for the last 3 years 163 has been that number (trying to shift the 162 median to 163 as a 1 point jump is more realistic than a 2 or 3 point jump no matter how competitive the cycle is this year).


Aren't you making the assumption that expected/target medians can't be revised mid-cycle? Yes, schools target medians ex ante, but don't you believe that they are free to reassess goals following changes in application trends?

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:18 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Bold=Valid. Previous response not valid as the pattern held until this week, thus it has nothing to do with standards going up year after year. Tulane is still trying to hit certain target medians like most schools, and for the last 3 years 163 has been that number (trying to shift the 162 median to 163 as a 1 point jump is more realistic than a 2 or 3 point jump no matter how competitive the cycle is this year).


Aren't you making the assumption that expected/target medians can't be revised mid-cycle? Yes, schools target medians ex ante, but don't you believe that they are free to reassess goals following changes in application trends?


Valid critique. However, I do not believe that to be the case. Pure conjecture on my part though.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:The first part is nonsense and demonstrates a total lack of comprehension. My question was whether a new trend has formed this week as a result of Tulane having overplayed its hand in giving out too many acceptances already, and thus having to resort to Waitlisting the remaining 163's when this is not normally Tulane's practice as demonstrated from prior years' evidence (and this year's evidence up until this week).

There was one WL 3 years ago on LSN (my apologies). The remainder holds true for every documented year going back to 2003-2004. This trend was only broken this week suggesting that they have run out of seats until after the deposit deadline. This has nothing to do with a higher admissions standard this year as opposed to other years. If you notice, Tulane rejects plenty of people above 163, they just seemed to have held strong with the 163 line (their 75% mark). I was simply hoping that someone else may have heard some news with regard to Tulane having to hold off on further acceptances via ASW/phone call to admissions/etc...


I don't really care that much to argue with you. But you seem to be pretty ridiculous with your positions.
But Tulane had someone WL in 07/08 with 163 & 3.14, a reject in 08/09 with 164 & 3.0, and a few people who applied earlier in the cycle who were waitlisted a few weeks ago. If they had "just run out of spots last week" ... then the people who applied in October & December should have been able to get in before this "new trend" you speak of.
In all likelihood they have had an increase in apps and they are not sure of what kind of yield they will get. So they waitlisted a handful of people until they know how many (if any) open seats they still have. Its also possible that the standards for admission (numbers-wise) are going up slightly.
Why you seem to keep calling these points worthless is beyond me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests