Tulane 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 am

Anyone headed to ASD this weekend?

User avatar
volfan6415
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby volfan6415 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 am

dancer330 wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:Hey, congrats to all who are in. I am a current Tulane 1L and happy to answer any questions yall have.


Thanks so much for offering to answer questions.

How has your 1L experience been at Tulane so far? Are you happy with the decision you made?

I see that you did get a scholarship. Would you have gone to Tulane if you hadn't gotten money from them?



I could not be happier with my decision. Tulane is a great place to go to law school and New Orleans is an amazing city, there is never a shortage of things to do. As for Tulane itself so far I have enjoyed my experience. I don't know what the primary reason for it is but the students here seem far less competitive than I hear from my friends at other schools. People are willing to share notes/outlines and generally help each other out, which all in all makes for a much better law school experience.

One thing I would note, and i don't know if its good or bad is that Tulane does not organize its classes into sections. Every student takes the same classes, but you don't have the same exact people in every class. The only exception to this is LRW which is a year long course that stays the same in the fall and the spring. I think that this organization is what leads to the lower competition amongst students because you are not competing with the same set of students in every class.

Yes I did get a scholarship and it would be hard to say that it did not factor into my decision. However I probably would have chosen Tulane anyways given the city of New Orleans and the atmosphere at the law school.

k10370
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby k10370 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am

volfan6415 wrote:
dancer330 wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:Hey, congrats to all who are in. I am a current Tulane 1L and happy to answer any questions yall have.


Thanks so much for offering to answer questions.

How has your 1L experience been at Tulane so far? Are you happy with the decision you made?

I see that you did get a scholarship. Would you have gone to Tulane if you hadn't gotten money from them?



I could not be happier with my decision. Tulane is a great place to go to law school and New Orleans is an amazing city, there is never a shortage of things to do. As for Tulane itself so far I have enjoyed my experience. I don't know what the primary reason for it is but the students here seem far less competitive than I hear from my friends at other schools. People are willing to share notes/outlines and generally help each other out, which all in all makes for a much better law school experience.

One thing I would note, and i don't know if its good or bad is that Tulane does not organize its classes into sections. Every student takes the same classes, but you don't have the same exact people in every class. The only exception to this is LRW which is a year long course that stays the same in the fall and the spring. I think that this organization is what leads to the lower competition amongst students because you are not competing with the same set of students in every class.

Yes I did get a scholarship and it would be hard to say that it did not factor into my decision. However I probably would have chosen Tulane anyways given the city of New Orleans and the atmosphere at the law school.


So does this mean class rankings are done for the 1L class as a whole? I know other law schools which have sections rank each section, rather than the entire 1L class.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby jstn1104 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 am

volfan6415 wrote:One thing I would note, and i don't know if its good or bad is that Tulane does not organize its classes into sections. Every student takes the same classes, but you don't have the same exact people in every class. The only exception to this is LRW which is a year long course that stays the same in the fall and the spring. I think that this organization is what leads to the lower competition amongst students because you are not competing with the same set of students in every class.


On this note, I spoke with Dean Krinsky about this when I was in New Orleans a week and a half ago. One of the positive effects of this is that scholarship recipients are not grouped together and forced to compete with each other to maintain their GPAs. It sounds like most of the people who are given scholarships are able to keep them.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 am

Oh as of yesterday we have a new dean (FYI).

David D. Meyer is coming to Tulane from the U of Illinois.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
volfan6415
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby volfan6415 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:53 am

k10370 wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:
dancer330 wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:Hey, congrats to all who are in. I am a current Tulane 1L and happy to answer any questions yall have.


Thanks so much for offering to answer questions.

How has your 1L experience been at Tulane so far? Are you happy with the decision you made?

I see that you did get a scholarship. Would you have gone to Tulane if you hadn't gotten money from them?



I could not be happier with my decision. Tulane is a great place to go to law school and New Orleans is an amazing city, there is never a shortage of things to do. As for Tulane itself so far I have enjoyed my experience. I don't know what the primary reason for it is but the students here seem far less competitive than I hear from my friends at other schools. People are willing to share notes/outlines and generally help each other out, which all in all makes for a much better law school experience.

One thing I would note, and i don't know if its good or bad is that Tulane does not organize its classes into sections. Every student takes the same classes, but you don't have the same exact people in every class. The only exception to this is LRW which is a year long course that stays the same in the fall and the spring. I think that this organization is what leads to the lower competition amongst students because you are not competing with the same set of students in every class.

Yes I did get a scholarship and it would be hard to say that it did not factor into my decision. However I probably would have chosen Tulane anyways given the city of New Orleans and the atmosphere at the law school.


So does this mean class rankings are done for the 1L class as a whole? I know other law schools which have sections rank each section, rather than the entire 1L class.




Yes the rankings are based on the class as a whole, but the 1L class is not ranked until after the end of the spring term. Then the class is ranked at the end of each subsequent term.

User avatar
Auroch
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Auroch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Are you still taking questions since I'm now considering the school as a bigger possibility then before. How are employment opportunities looking like as a 2L for the summer or a graduating student? Do you know people that are having alot of trouble? If I am in like the top 45% of my class for the first year, what will it be like getting a summer position?

dancer330
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby dancer330 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 pm

volfan6415 wrote:
dancer330 wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:Hey, congrats to all who are in. I am a current Tulane 1L and happy to answer any questions yall have.


Thanks so much for offering to answer questions.

How has your 1L experience been at Tulane so far? Are you happy with the decision you made?

I see that you did get a scholarship. Would you have gone to Tulane if you hadn't gotten money from them?



I could not be happier with my decision. Tulane is a great place to go to law school and New Orleans is an amazing city, there is never a shortage of things to do. As for Tulane itself so far I have enjoyed my experience. I don't know what the primary reason for it is but the students here seem far less competitive than I hear from my friends at other schools. People are willing to share notes/outlines and generally help each other out, which all in all makes for a much better law school experience.

One thing I would note, and i don't know if its good or bad is that Tulane does not organize its classes into sections. Every student takes the same classes, but you don't have the same exact people in every class. The only exception to this is LRW which is a year long course that stays the same in the fall and the spring. I think that this organization is what leads to the lower competition amongst students because you are not competing with the same set of students in every class.

Yes I did get a scholarship and it would be hard to say that it did not factor into my decision. However I probably would have chosen Tulane anyways given the city of New Orleans and the atmosphere at the law school.


Thanks for your response. Everyone seems to love it there. I visited Tulane a few weeks ago and everything about it felt right. Everything except the cost, that is...

User avatar
volfan6415
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby volfan6415 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Auroch wrote:Are you still taking questions since I'm now considering the school as a bigger possibility then before. How are employment opportunities looking like as a 2L for the summer or a graduating student? Do you know people that are having alot of trouble? If I am in like the top 45% of my class for the first year, what will it be like getting a summer position?


Tulane is having the same problems that every other school is having, this is not a very good market right now. I know of 3L's who are having problems, but I know 3Ls at other schools that are having the same problems. Its just this economy no one is really hiring, its not really a great time to be a lawyer, then again its not really the best time to be unemployeed either. Tulane is doing about as good as they can to find us jobs.

User avatar
JAdore3
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby JAdore3 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Oh as of yesterday we have a new dean (FYI).

David D. Meyer is coming to Tulane from the U of Illinois.

--LinkRemoved--



Professor Meyer is one of the most exceptional professors I have ever had. He will be a great addition to Tulane... sad to see him leave UIUC! :(

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

complete 3/5. Above median GPA + LSAT. I know someone who just got waitlisted w/ 163 3.6. What's the deal? Anyone else?

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

nol607 wrote:complete 3/5. Above median GPA + LSAT. I know someone who just got waitlisted w/ 163 3.6. What's the deal? Anyone else?



I'm confused too. I went complete 3/5 as well. There have been a round of waitlists and rejections since then but I have not heard anything. I guess no news is good news. My numbers are 3.43/163 so I thought I would get a small scholly but now I just hope I get in

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Did you apply late? I sent out Tulane 6 weeks later than all of my other apps, which I'm thinking is the cause of the disproportionate competition.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 pm

I applied in early January. I was just looking at LSN and quite a few non-URMs got accepted off the waitlist recently with sub 160 lsats and low gpas. Idk what to think.

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm

YP? Much higher chance of them attending even at full tuition.

mailmanstalker
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby mailmanstalker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:39 pm

keemos wrote:
nol607 wrote:complete 3/5. Above median GPA + LSAT. I know someone who just got waitlisted w/ 163 3.6. What's the deal? Anyone else?



I'm confused too. I went complete 3/5 as well. There have been a round of waitlists and rejections since then but I have not heard anything. I guess no news is good news. My numbers are 3.43/163 so I thought I would get a small scholly but now I just hope I get in


+1

jrduncan3ail.com
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby jrduncan3ail.com » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm in the same camp as you two on 3/5. Compete 3/5 (updated, had an earlier complete date but I don't remember what it was), 163/3.76 and I've heard nothing. Submitted in early Jan.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm

jrduncan3ail.com wrote:I'm in the same camp as you two on 3/5. Compete 3/5 (updated, had an earlier complete date but I don't remember what it was), 163/3.76 and I've heard nothing. Submitted in early Jan.



Thinking optimistically, maybe they want to accept us with scholarships but have no scholarship money available so they are waiting for people to withdraw rather than accept us at sticker. Would be a risky thing to do

--That actually made a lot of sense as I wrote it out

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Sias » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm

keemos wrote:I applied in early January. I was just looking at LSN and quite a few non-URMs got accepted off the waitlist recently with sub 160 lsats and low gpas. Idk what to think.


Strange that they're already dipping into the wait list despite some of us being sans decision. Complete since 3/4 here.

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 pm

keemos wrote:
jrduncan3ail.com wrote:I'm in the same camp as you two on 3/5. Compete 3/5 (updated, had an earlier complete date but I don't remember what it was), 163/3.76 and I've heard nothing. Submitted in early Jan.



Thinking optimistically, maybe they want to accept us with scholarships but have no scholarship money available so they are waiting for people to withdraw rather than accept us at sticker. Would be a risky thing to do

--That actually made a lot of sense as I wrote it out


haha you're definitely a "glass half full" person. I'll go with it.

bobbycortez
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby bobbycortez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:22 pm

167, sub3.0... complete 2/24 and updated to file complete today... i'll take the no news is good news route and keep my hopes up. this cycle just seems a little wonkier than usual for splitters

heyzeus
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby heyzeus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Just got file complete 3/25 from 2/3. What does it say when a decision is made are there different types? sorry if this already has been stated.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby matchesmalone » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Were most of you that were admitted or waitlisted notified by email? My status checker says my decision was made a few days ago and the letter was sent. I didn't receive anything by email, and my numbers poor so I'm expecting a ding.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby jstn1104 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:03 pm

matchesmalone wrote:Were most of you that were admitted or waitlisted notified by email? My status checker says my decision was made a few days ago and the letter was sent. I didn't receive anything by email, and my numbers poor so I'm expecting a ding.


I believe I was first notified by email. The subject said "Your acceptance to Tulane University" or something along those lines.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby matchesmalone » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 pm

jstn1104 wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:Were most of you that were admitted or waitlisted notified by email? My status checker says my decision was made a few days ago and the letter was sent. I didn't receive anything by email, and my numbers poor so I'm expecting a ding.


I believe I was first notified by email. The subject said "Your acceptance to Tulane University" or something along those lines.


How long after the status check change was the email sent? I assume it was a few hours later. My status was changed on the 22nd.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, curry4bfast, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo and 3 guests