Tulane 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Bustang » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Same, but remember that Tulane's overall budget includes COL etc. Most universities don't include this. 60k for 3 three years of schooling at Houston does not equate to 60k in loans.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

JayCole wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the Cost of Attendance figures they included in the packet? Even with a 25k/yr scholarship (I AM VERY GRATEFUL) you are looking at 35k / year of loans. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations regarding the overall cost of law school but Tulane seems like a very (nearly prohibitively) expensive option at this point.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?


You should check out UC Davis OOS.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby chrisokc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm

JayCole wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the Cost of Attendance figures they included in the packet? Even with a 25k/yr scholarship (I AM VERY GRATEFUL) you are looking at 35k / year of loans. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations regarding the overall cost of law school but Tulane seems like a very (nearly prohibitively) expensive option at this point.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

New Orleans is too expensive for me, even with the $25k/year. Look at some of the apartments on craigslist. $1,500+ for a half-way decent two-bedroom apartment. No can do.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 pm

D00d New Orleans is pretty cheap for a major city.

LSAT N00b
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby LSAT N00b » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:26 pm

PhantaManta wrote:D00d New Orleans is pretty cheap for a major city.

Lol. Seriously. It doesn't get much cheaper.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:05 pm

I pay quite a bit more than the 2bdrm mentioned above for a tiny apartment in a nice part of Boston proper. The NO prices seem great.

On another note, one person used the Super Bowl win as further proof NO - and ostensibly Tulane - is on the upward trend. How do people feel about this? How far can Tulane climb in the rankings? It seems like one of the few schools where lay prestige far out-paces US NEWS rankings.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby PhantaManta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 am

As a Colts fan, the Saints winning only made it less likely I would attend Tulane. I won't take this into consideration on purpose, but everytime I am there I will have flashbacks to Reggie Wayne triple-stutter-stepping his in route while the CB is 30 yards down field with Charlie Johnson chasing him as much as his fat lineman legs will move. =(

mlichten
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby mlichten » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 am

to the guy speaking about the superbowl changing the city culture....

ive lived in pittsburgh my whole life and have been fortunate enough to see what kind of cultural impact a superbowl win can have on a city's moral. the backbone of pittsburgh is made up of its sports teams and in the 70's when the steel idustry collapsed the steelers superbowls kept the emotions of the city alive. I am super excited about going to tulane as I am sure that this will be an amazing chance to experience a city on a the rise. with all the great things i have been hearing about tulane i can only assume theres great success in its future. for all those who are skeptical, you might not want to miss a chance to experience what could possibly be a historic era for the city of new orleans.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby superflush » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 am

chrisokc wrote:New Orleans is too expensive for me, even with the $25k/year. Look at some of the apartments on craigslist. $1,500+ for a half-way decent two-bedroom apartment. No can do.


You know you could fit 2 people in a two-bedroom ... or just make do with a one-bedroom apartment.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby chrisokc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 am

superflush wrote:
chrisokc wrote:New Orleans is too expensive for me, even with the $25k/year. Look at some of the apartments on craigslist. $1,500+ for a half-way decent two-bedroom apartment. No can do.


You know you could fit 2 people in a two-bedroom ... or just make do with a one-bedroom apartment.

I figure my wife and daughters will fit the bill. And if you're comparing New Orleans to cities like Boston, NY, and LA, it seems pretty cheap. For a place not on the east or west coast, the rental prices are really high. This really comes into play when you're comparing Tulane with schools like Wake Forest or SMU or UGA. Rent is going to be around twice as much per month for housing that appears to be pretty questionable in many cases.

User avatar
TonyDigital
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby TonyDigital » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 am

chrisokc wrote:
superflush wrote:
chrisokc wrote:New Orleans is too expensive for me, even with the $25k/year. Look at some of the apartments on craigslist. $1,500+ for a half-way decent two-bedroom apartment. No can do.


You know you could fit 2 people in a two-bedroom ... or just make do with a one-bedroom apartment.

I figure my wife and daughters will fit the bill. And if you're comparing New Orleans to cities like Boston, NY, and LA, it seems pretty cheap. For a place not on the east or west coast, the rental prices are really high. This really comes into play when you're comparing Tulane with schools like Wake Forest or SMU or UGA. Rent is going to be around twice as much per month for housing that appears to be pretty questionable in many cases.


Fwiw, a friend of mine goes to Xavier and has a studio apartment near the campus for $500...

User avatar
minkins
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby minkins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 am

PhantaManta wrote:As a Colts fan, the Saints winning only made it less likely I would attend Tulane. I won't take this into consideration on purpose, but everytime I am there I will have flashbacks to Reggie Wayne triple-stutter-stepping his in route while the CB is 30 yards down field with Charlie Johnson chasing him as much as his fat lineman legs will move. =(


I feel you completely :(

I sort of took the Saints winning as an omen that I'll be going to Tulane though, haha!

LiveFree
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby LiveFree » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:47 pm

In today via email. Acceptance materials on the way!

RSN_M3
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

In via e-mail! 155-157, 4.0+ from T20 ugrad, non-urm.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:04 pm

Fwiw, a friend of mine goes to Xavier and has a studio apartment near the campus for $500...[/quote]


If you are okay having roommates getting a 3 or 4 br house is often a better way to go- you can have something really nice and spacious for $500-$600/ person/month- I live in NOLA now and would be happy to answer any questions about the city/ housing/ entertainment, etc.

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby tsub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm

In today via e-mail!

158/3.6x Non-URM

rmartin7686
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby rmartin7686 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:45 pm

In today via email and status checker!!!! So pumped. 161, 3.42 Non-URM. I also didnt hear anything from them since the beginning of December so this should give everyone some hope! Also, as a 6'9'' man, the totebag is going to make an interesting fashion statement. :wink:

User avatar
totebags
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby totebags » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 pm

rmartin7686 wrote:In today via email and status checker!!!! So pumped. 161, 3.42 Non-URM. I also didnt hear anything from them since the beginning of December so this should give everyone some hope! Also, as a 6'9'' man, the totebag is going to make an interesting fashion statement. :wink:



Congrats! When did you go complete?

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Snoopy1216 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am

rmartin7686 wrote:In today via email and status checker!!!! So pumped. 161, 3.42 Non-URM. I also didnt hear anything from them since the beginning of December so this should give everyone some hope! Also, as a 6'9'' man, the totebag is going to make an interesting fashion statement. :wink:


Hahhaha awesommme lol. Congrats

rmartin7686
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby rmartin7686 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am

Went complete on 12/3/09 and it didn't change until 2/5/10. I actually called the admissions office last week to see what was going on and they said I was under review and should hear in a month. I was finally updated to complete on 2/5/10 and then heard today. I am really excited about Tulane and it is a relief to have an answer after religiously reading this thread for two months!!!

User avatar
anothernancydrew
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby anothernancydrew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 am

In today via email! I am thrilled.

To the poster a few posts up who complained about the apartments for $1500--I think that price is really inflated. I live in a beautiful, modern 2 bedroom house with a huge yard in a nice neighborhood and I pay significantly less than that. If all you can find are $1500+ you just need to look around some more, as I think prices that high are rare.

LSAT N00b
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby LSAT N00b » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:55 am

So is anyone here definitely attending Tulane?

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 am

tsub wrote:In today via e-mail!

158/3.6x Non-URM


You give me hope!

RSN_M3
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby RSN_M3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 am

LSAT N00b wrote:So is anyone here definitely attending Tulane?

I'm pretty sure I'll be going, unless UT says yes.

Jimmy Paperboy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: Tulane 2010

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Mine just changed from complete 1/7 to complete 2/12. I hope this means that I will hear a decision soon. This is a top choice and I pray for an acceptance!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”