Tulane 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PhantaManta

Bronze

Re: Tulane 2010

Post by PhantaManta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I think 3.0 is 50% if I remember correctly.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I think you are correct.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

msh342 wrote:
superflush wrote:
msh342 wrote:Native New Yorker here...got a lot more money at Brooklyn Law School and would like to stay in New York. I've heard conflicting reports of Tulane's national reach immediately following graduation.
What is your estimated COA at both?
Sticker at Tulane, so 180k
12k at Brooklyn, so 144k.
hm, well, its a personal decision. I'd probably rather go to Tulane. Also, it depends on how much you need to stay in New York.
And you probably have a percentage requirement for the scholly at BLS?

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 am

heard day was changing the curve to be more lenient
and supposed to vote on it last week

hear it from friendz

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:07 am

PDaddy wrote: Well, I doubt IUB will ever be Tulane either. I am such a Tulane fan because I know what that university can be. The university really should be in a league with Duke, Vandy, UVA, and Emory. It may take another 15-20 years (or 30), but I believe it can be that good.

I'm going to back off of that statement. Tulane UG really isn't as far behind those other schools as people think and could be back in the top-20 UG within a few years. It supposedly has been ranked as high as 11th. Tulane's rep on Wall Street is crazy huge.

A good example of the respect that Tulane garners in that area is that alumni are offered membership to the Manhattan Cornell Club. Only graduates of Cornell, Tulane, Brown, Duke, Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Stanford are eligible for membership. In the south the school is perceived to be a notch below Vandy, Emory, Duke, and Rice. The name definitely draws respect though.

For UG: Duke>Vandy>Emory>Rice>Tulane>>>other southern schools

For law: Virginia>Duke>Vandy=/>Texas>Emory>UNC>Tulane>Florida=SMU=Baylor=Miami>other southern schools. And there are people (older lawyers and judges, college professors, etc) who would put Tulane ahead of Emory and UNC. I asked Sociology and Geography profs which southern law schools I should consider. Everyone mentioned Tulane within the top 4-6 schools.

One professor said I should consider Duke, Vandy, and Tulane (notably omitting UVA), and that was all. When I pointed out the "error", she didn't blink, saying that she knew about UVA but didn't consider it to be as good as the others, employment notwithstanding. These profs were talking mostly about classroom experience and lay prestige.

I don't put Texas or UNC UG in Tulane's class. Tulane needs to double its endowment to $2Billion and regenerate its grad programs and engineering department. As a top research institution, it has the ability to reach the status of Rice and Emory quickly, and is already making efforts to do so. And, despite its slight fall in the rankings, wait until next year, when it's numbers kick in. Tulane should hit the top-30 soon if UC Davis was able to do it.

Tulane is extremely well respected. It's med school was once in the top-6 nationally. Its b-school is well respected, though not considered "elite". It's law program is underranked, and its undergrad has been considered to be amongst the very best in America.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 am

Decided not to send off a seat deposit. Hopefully my 60 grand scholly goes to someone on here.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 am

PDaddy wrote:
PDaddy wrote: Well, I doubt IUB will ever be Tulane either. I am such a Tulane fan because I know what that university can be. The university really should be in a league with Duke, Vandy, UVA, and Emory. It may take another 15-20 years (or 30), but I believe it can be that good.

I'm going to back off of that statement. Tulane UG really isn't as far behind those other schools as people think and could be back in the top-20 UG within a few years. It supposedly has been ranked as high as 11th. Tulane's rep on Wall Street is crazy huge.

A good example of the respect that Tulane garners in that area is that alumni are offered membership to the Manhattan Cornell Club. Only graduates of Cornell, Tulane, Brown, Duke, Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Stanford are eligible for membership. In the south the school is perceived to be a notch below Vandy, Emory, Duke, and Rice. The name definitely draws respect though.

For UG: Duke>Vandy>Emory>Rice>Tulane>>>other southern schools

For law: Virginia>Duke>Vandy=/>Texas>Emory>UNC>Tulane>Florida=SMU=Baylor=Miami>other southern schools. And there are people (older lawyers and judges, college professors, etc) who would put Tulane ahead of Emory and UNC. I asked Sociology and Geography profs which southern law schools I should consider. Everyone mentioned Tulane within the top 4-6 schools.

One professor said I should consider Duke, Vandy, and Tulane (notably omitting UVA), and that was all. When I pointed out the "error", she didn't blink, saying that she knew about UVA but didn't consider it to be as good as the others, employment notwithstanding. These profs were talking mostly about classroom experience and lay prestige.

I don't put Texas or UNC UG in Tulane's class. Tulane needs to double its endowment to $2Billion and regenerate its grad programs and engineering department. As a top research institution, it has the ability to reach the status of Rice and Emory quickly, and is already making efforts to do so. And, despite its slight fall in the rankings, wait until next year, when it's numbers kick in. Tulane should hit the top-30 soon if UC Davis was able to do it.

Tulane is extremely well respected. It's med school was once in the top-6 nationally. Its b-school is well respected, though not considered "elite". It's law program is underranked, and its undergrad has been considered to be amongst the very best in America.
while I put down a deposit at TTTulane, all that really matters is employment prospects. lay prestige doesn't matter. I just hope Tulane is able to get back their national reach w/in 3 years or that in June my LSAT goes up, up, up.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:45 am

Is somebody able to point me towards an interview (or something) with the new dean which would give me an idea of his vision and plans for the school during his tenure?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 am

For those that have pulled out of Tulane, have any of you done the decline survey? I think it is funny that one of the questions they ask is whether or not you used LSN or TLS and, if yes, what your opinion of the sites were. I guess maybe they are thinking these sites are impacting people's decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 am

Has anyone heard anything from Tulane in awhile? I know they've pulled from the waitlist already so it seems strange that I haven't yet received a decision.

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

JessicaTiger wrote:For those that have pulled out of Tulane, have any of you done the decline survey? I think it is funny that one of the questions they ask is whether or not you used LSN or TLS and, if yes, what your opinion of the sites were. I guess maybe they are thinking these sites are impacting people's decisions?
Should send Tulane Adcoms a survey asking whether the websites LSN or TLS are impacting their decisions.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Just withdrew from Tulane. I was on the wait list but both my numbers were above Tulane's 75th percentile so it may eventually mean an acceptance for somebody...Good luck!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Sias wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Tulane in awhile? I know they've pulled from the waitlist already so it seems strange that I haven't yet received a decision.
How many people have allegedly been accepted off the waitlist?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:56 am

Finally got decision: waitlist

heyzeus

New

Post by heyzeus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Has there been any waitlist movement. I have been wl'd since 4/13 so I guess I am relative waitlist noob. I know historically getting in of the wl is all over the place. 2008 - 35% of the class was off the wl and 2009 - noone got in off the wl

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:09 pm

heyzeus wrote:Has there been any waitlist movement. I have been wl'd since 4/13 so I guess I am relative waitlist noob. I know historically getting in of the wl is all over the place. 2008 - 35% of the class was off the wl and 2009 - noone got in off the wl
I can tell you that I was WL'd about a month before you, and I'm still on.
I thought someone said that 1 person had got accepted off the waitlist on LSN, but I don't know how much creditability that has.

ms.ballerina

New

Post by ms.ballerina » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Anyone else go complete 4/20?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ianfitzy

New

Post by ianfitzy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 pm

nvm
Last edited by ianfitzy on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

ms.ballerina wrote:Anyone else go complete 4/20?
Yep, complete 2nd time on 4/20

ms.ballerina

New

Post by ms.ballerina » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:25 pm

OK well hopefully all acceptances :)

I'm such a slacker I should have applied before March.

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

ms.ballerina wrote:OK well hopefully all acceptances :)

I'm such a slacker I should have applied before March.
We both have pretty good numbers so here's to optimism

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”