Tulane 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jstn1104

Bronze

Re: Tulane 2010

Post by jstn1104 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Bustang wrote:Seat deposit is 4/15 correct?
I'm not sure if the date changes because it says seat deposit must be submitted "before the date on your acceptance letter." Mine was 4/15 though.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 pm

nol607 wrote:I think it's possible. Tulane had a mediocre class the year after Katrina but numbers have risen since then, and there is a plan to decrease the class size. However, people have mentioned on here that placement for the graduating class has been horrendous; I can't verify the accuracy of that, but I have heard it quite a few times.
I'd like to hear more about this (job prospects that is). What occurred?

warchild

New

Post by warchild » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm

KellyD09 wrote:
tkicker182 wrote:
warchild wrote:Are many of you that are going to Tulane paying full sticker price?

I received a 25k/year scholarship and even with that I probably won't be attending. It's hard to justify that much debt when you hear about the problems graduates are facing finding jobs out of law school. I'd like to think I'm special and would work hard and be at the top of the class etc... but everyone thinks they are.
I received the same schoalrship and have the same mindset about attending... its a lot of debt
I received very little scholarship money and will probably not attend due to the cost and the current economy etc. Having said that, I visited Tulane Law School and like everything about it except the cost. I was born in New Orleans and love the area. I was just curious if anyone on here is going to admit attending at sticker price. Surely some people will attend at sticker price. It just seems like a big risk to me given the current state of the legal market.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

KellyD09 wrote:
tkicker182 wrote:
warchild wrote:Are many of you that are going to Tulane paying full sticker price?

I received a 25k/year scholarship and even with that I probably won't be attending. It's hard to justify that much debt when you hear about the problems graduates are facing finding jobs out of law school. I'd like to think I'm special and would work hard and be at the top of the class etc... but everyone thinks they are.
I received the same schoalrship and have the same mindset about attending... its a lot of debt
I'm in the same boat. I can't justify paying $105k for a school of Tulane's job placement and ranking. Will likely withdraw soon.

heyzeus

New

Post by heyzeus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm

just waitlisted via email 164/3.4 and a LA resident.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

I am prob going to put down the deposit. But plz GWU, take me off the WL !!!

(I've got the 25k a year schly)

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:30 pm

LiveFree wrote:I'm not - not sure it would be wise. But I think I'll be attending. I hope they jump up in rankings. Does anyone think they will??
nol607 wrote:I think it's possible. Tulane had a mediocre class the year after Katrina but numbers have risen since then, and there is a plan to decrease the class size. However, people have mentioned on here that placement for the graduating class has been horrendous; I can't verify the accuracy of that, but I have heard it quite a few times.
I think Tulane would look more appropriately ranked at about #30 or so (as would Arizona, UC-Davis and a few others). The TLS adcom doesn't game the rankings, which is good. They take who they want to take, regardless of numbers.

Jimmy Paperboy

New

Post by Jimmy Paperboy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Tulane is in the final round of my choice for a law school. The biggest aspect of Tulane that I am hesitant about is employment. I have looked high and low and I've had trouble finding recent employment statistics on the school. I have looked at the schools site, IRLG, LSAC.com but I have only been able to find vague or old info on the school's employment after graduation. Does anyone have any suggestions on other sources?

msh342

New

Post by msh342 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 am

PDaddy, you feel Tulane should be in the T30 / ranked the same as Fordham in terms of employment prospects?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 am

msh342 wrote:PDaddy, you feel Tulane should be in the T30 / ranked the same as Fordham in terms of employment prospects?
hahahaha, if only this were true

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm

so i went complete on 3/5 and still haven't had any movement. my numbers are above LSAT median and above 25% of GPA. Should i be worried?

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm

In terms of financial aid...probably--at least if Tulane is anything like most schools, which are running out of money for qualified, but late applying candidates. I'm pretty surprised too, and I'm in a similar situation.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Just conjecture, I really hope I'm wrong. But I was expecting a pretty big scholarship, I think I'm above both medians (not really sure what they are this year though) and it seems unlikely that it will come this late.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Are there still a lot of people who went complete a second time 3/5 and have heard nothing since?

bobbycortez

New

Post by bobbycortez » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 pm

nol607 wrote:Are there still a lot of people who went complete a second time 3/5 and have heard nothing since?
complete 2/24/10 and then again 3/25/10 and nothing yet; looking like a WL

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm

I will say it again. Those of us who are 3/5 or around then and expected an acceptance with some money are being held because Tulane doesn't want to simply offer us an acceptance without money which is basically an easy way for us to say no thanks. People have been rejected, waitlisted and accepted since 3/5. I can't see any other reason for them to wait other than the fact that they want to see how many people with scholarships send deposits in.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:00 pm

WD'ing with $25k tonight. Hope that helps someone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 pm

FunkyJD wrote:WD'ing with $25k tonight. Hope that helps someone.

Thanks! I've been waitlisted for about a week and, well, it sucks.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Well good luck, I hope it works out for you. Tulane's a good school.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 pm

A few people have asked in the ASW thread for a recap of a visit... I loved the place but probably won't be attending in the fall (shameless plug of my "where should i go to school thread": http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=113184 )... that said, i really do encourage people to strongly consider Tulane! It seemed like an awesome place.

Friday:
A little bit of breakfast was provided in the lobby. Prospective students were given name tags and new green folders. We mingled in a common area for a few minutes before being led to a mid-sized classroom. Things started off with a welcome from the Dean (I've heard she's going to be leaving soon) and then a talk from the relatively new Vice Dean. The Vice Dean is a very animated graduate of Stanford Law School. She talked quite a bit about rankings (although I got the impression that she wasn't supposed to) and did her best to sell the school. She talked a lot about how wonderful the New Orleans area is.
After the presentation by the vice dean, we sat in on a class. I think it was constitutional law, although I don't really remember. The professor didn’t acknowledge the hundred or so people who descended on his class – he just jumped right into the lesson. Looking around the room, the actual students seemed very relaxed: flip flops, shorts, comfy clothes...
Afterward the class, we split off into the various sessions. Although we signed up for specific sessions before attending, you could really go to whatever you wanted. I listened to a professor talk about clinics, specifically the juvenile litigation clinic. There is definitely an emphasis on community service at the school, and much of it is centered around Hurricane Katrina.
Lunchtime was next. The main campus student center is gorgeous! Bright, sunny, lots of windows – and waterfalls in the middle!
Tables were arranged with a faculty member and current student at each one. I sat at the table with the vice dean. She talked quite a bit about Tulane's breadth - not many other schools offer maritime law, for example. I learned that school is trying to expand their intellectual property program, and just hired someone new (can't remember who).
The after-lunch session I attended was about student organizations... There was a panel of the current students at the front of the room who talked to us about journals, moot court, etc.
Next was a session with a panel of students. No faculty members were allowed in the room – it was supposed to be a kind of tell-all. It was moderately successful and time went by quickly. I learned a lot. Most students said you don’t need a car (many ride their bikes, and the streetcar is very reliable), it’s easy to find housing (they gave some tips and explained what "shotgun" style housing is), said that many of them slacked off second semester and shouldn’t have, and that scholarships played a role in some of their decisions.
A “snowball” mixer was the final event of the day. Everyone was curious – what are snowballs? Well... you'll have to attend an ASW to find out. Or google it. Apparently they’re a New Orleans tradition.

Saturday:
The bus tour was amazing. What a great way to get us all hyped up about New Orleans! The tour guide chattered away the entire time, filling us in on the history of various buildings and the best places to eat. A current student was also on the bus, but he didn’t say much. At the end, our bus driver sang for us… he was a descendant of Louis Armstrong, who performed at the legend’s funeral!
T tour of the school and campus was a little too lengthy, but of course helpful. A current student took us through the law building, answering questions as we went. The library was surprisingly empty. It seemed comfortable enough and it has a ton of natural light. An undergrad student took us around campus - which is lovely. It’s lush, green, many of the buildings are nice… we saw the campus “bead tree” and walked through the student centre food court. Finally we made it to the recreation centre. Gorgeous. I loved it. And not only does it look relatively new and welcoming, it’s within walking distance to the law school. There's a pool, a ton of workout machines, and a track. It’s big and airy.
And that was that!

Although i probably won't end up there next year, it was awesome to see the school. It seemed like a great place to spend (at least) three years!

jchb6d

New

Post by jchb6d » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm

JUST got my acceptance. By email. The email mentions that I will get my acceptance packet, and scholarship information, by mail shortly.

In a perfect world, that "scholarship information" is actually cash money, even if just a little bit. But, this late in the game, what are the chances?

Like everyone else, I'm also worried about employment prospects afterward. I assume a Tulane degree will get me a New Orleans job, but what exactly is the NOLA legal market? Does Tulane at least reach into Texas?

I'm sitting on a full-ride to a 60ish state school. Does that make a difference?

My numbers are are 3.5/165. From looking at LSN, it looks like $60,000 is the going rate. But that was back in January.

So, that's the cautious side of me. Now...

Who's going to the ASW this weekend?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

otherside220

New

Post by otherside220 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:02 pm

nol607 wrote:Are there still a lot of people who went complete a second time 3/5 and have heard nothing since?
+1

totebags

New

Post by totebags » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

jchb6d wrote:JUST got my acceptance. By email. The email mentions that I will get my acceptance packet, and scholarship information, by mail shortly.

In a perfect world, that "scholarship information" is actually cash money, even if just a little bit. But, this late in the game, what are the chances?

Like everyone else, I'm also worried about employment prospects afterward. I assume a Tulane degree will get me a New Orleans job, but what exactly is the NOLA legal market? Does Tulane at least reach into Texas?

I'm sitting on a full-ride to a 60ish state school. Does that make a difference?

My numbers are are 3.5/165. From looking at LSN, it looks like $60,000 is the going rate. But that was back in January.

So, that's the cautious side of me. Now...

Who's going to the ASW this weekend?!

I'm going! I'm trying to organize a get-together on Friday night/after the mixer. The Lewis and Clark one was so successful last month that I'm sure we can replicate it in Fun Central, USA.

jchb6d

New

Post by jchb6d » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm a non-traditional. So I'm bringing 3 guests. 2 of whom are under 3.

So I'm going to beg off for evening festivities, but I'll try to make a few showings once the school year starts and the kiddos have a place to call home.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:25 pm

WL via e-mail today. 165 / 3.2x

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”