Villanova 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tsk070

Re: Villanova 2010

Postby tsk070 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:46 pm

mikeyp wrote:
tsk070 wrote:Out of curiosity, can a current student (mikeyp, perhaps?) give some information about how the sections work? There are three of them, right? Are they just divided up alphabetically, or in some other way?

The Breakdown
Torts = 3 sections (~80 students)
Civil Procedure = 3 sections (~80 students)
Criminal Law = 2 sections (~120 students)

There are essentially 3 sections: A, B, and C. Each section has approximately 80 people. Your section is designated by your Torts class.

I'll start with an example. My schedule for the fall was as follows:
Torts B
Civ Pro B
Crim Law A
Writing F
Research F

Therefore, I was in section B. So because Torts and Civ Pro have 3 sections each, you will be with the same 80 students for those two classes. However, because Crim Law has only two sections, it is split in half. So 40 students from section B are put in Crim Law A, and the other 40 are put in Crim Law B. Since I was in B, my section was split.

It's a little bit complicated, but does that make sense? Let me know if you want some more clarification, I may not have explained it so well.

The easiest way to think about it though is by legal writing/research class. Each writing class has approximately 20 students. You will go to every class with these 20 students.

I think I get it. But do you have any insight as to how they divide the sections up? Is it done alphabetically, randomly, etc.?

jkh

Postby jkh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Onion wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Just checking in to say I still haven't received a decision from Villanova!

Applied: 11/09/09
Complete: 11/13/09
Time it takes for VLS to make a decision: 159 days and counting... that's just over 5 months.

165/3.4

I thought you had already decided on attending another school. Why would you even care anymore let alone not withdraw your application? Are you still contemplating Villanova?

I paid money for a decision, so I am waiting for one. It's also just interesting to see how they are dealing with this. I have contacted them 3 times and continue to receive generic messages about how they're working really hard to get through all of the applications.

It's not like I'm taking up someone else's spot by sitting on an acceptance or scholarship money, so I don't feel that I should be compelled to withdraw my application even though I do not intend to go to Villanova. Like I said, I just want a decision because I paid the fee and took the time to apply, just like everyone else.

What if they decide to accept you (even though you don't want to attend) and waitlist someone else (who may actually want to attend). You're just causing that person even more stress, quit being a douche and just withdraw. Or at the very least, quit complaining on this thread how you haven't heard yet.

smartin

Postby smartin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Onion wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Just checking in to say I still haven't received a decision from Villanova!

Time it takes for VLS to make a decision: 159 days and counting... that's just over 5 months.

165/3.4

I thought you had already decided on attending another school. Why would you even care anymore let alone not withdraw your application? Are you still contemplating Villanova?

I paid money for a decision, so I am waiting for one. It's also just interesting to see how they are dealing with this. I have contacted them 3 times and continue to receive generic messages about how they're working really hard to get through all of the applications.

It's not like I'm taking up someone else's spot by sitting on an acceptance or scholarship money, so I don't feel that I should be compelled to withdraw my application even though I do not intend to go to Villanova. Like I said, I just want a decision because I paid the fee and took the time to apply, just like everyone else.

I feel you on this.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

quit complaining on this thread how you haven't heard yet.[/quote]

Done and done. Thought you guys might be interested, but I was wrong. Good luck.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm

tsk070 wrote:I think I get it. But do you have any insight as to how they divide the sections up? Is it done alphabetically, randomly, etc.?
That I have no clue. But I do know its not done alphabetically. I think that they divide the sections to have an accurate curve. So you'll probably have three sections each with a wide range of LSAT scores and undergrad GPAs. It could be random, but I doubt it...everything is done deliberately. Oh, and I also know they don't stack sections with scholarship recipients.

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

mikeyp wrote:
tsk070 wrote:I think I get it. But do you have any insight as to how they divide the sections up? Is it done alphabetically, randomly, etc.?
That I have no clue. But I do know its not done alphabetically. I think that they divide the sections to have an accurate curve. So you'll probably have three sections each with a wide range of LSAT scores and undergrad GPAs. It could be random, but I doubt it...everything is done deliberately. Oh, and I also know they don't stack sections with scholarship recipients.

Thanks!

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Onion wrote:

165/3.4

I'm still waiting to hear from Villanova as well. 162, 3.6.

Edit: I didn't pay though, I contacted them and got a fee waiver...

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Soo after deciding on Temple (Villanova didn't accept me until a few days before April 15th), I got a letter telling me that I got a full scholarship from Nova. Well this makes things interesting. And complicated.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 am

changeitup wrote:Soo after deciding on Temple (Villanova didn't accept me until a few days before April 15th), I got a letter telling me that I got a full scholarship from Nova. Well this makes things interesting. And complicated.

What do you have from Temple? If they weren't matching the $$ I would take the full ride in a heartbeat.

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:
changeitup wrote:Soo after deciding on Temple (Villanova didn't accept me until a few days before April 15th), I got a letter telling me that I got a full scholarship from Nova. Well this makes things interesting. And complicated.

What do you have from Temple? If they weren't matching the $$ I would take the full ride in a heartbeat.

If you have full rides from both, it is just going to come down to where you would feel more comfortable going to school for three years. Do you prefer the suburbs or the city (although I suppose you could live in the city either way)? Did you like the feel of one school over the other? Did one of the ASDs grab you more? This is defiantly a tough decision either way.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:18 am

Onion wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

If you have full rides from both, it is just going to come down to where you would feel more comfortable going to school for three years. Do you prefer the suburbs or the city (although I suppose you could live in the city either way)? Did you like the feel of one school over the other? Did one of the ASDs grab you more? This is defiantly a tough decision either way.

+1

Often, those who go to Temple are going there largely because they want to be in a city, while most people who go to Villanova go there because they want to go to Villanova. You're likely to have an easier time meeting people at Villanova, making friends, and dare I say have a more "pleasant" experience. But its all about the type of atmosphere you want at this point.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:

They're both full scholarships. Haha it would be an easier decision if one of them gave me less money.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

Onion wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

That definitely makes sense. Thanks for the advice :)

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am

changeitup wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

They're both full scholarships. Haha it would be an easier decision if one of them gave me less money.

Then like Onion said you need to go where you got the best 'vibe' and where you think you'll enjoy yourself the most for the next 3 years. Either way your in a great position.

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 am

changeitup wrote:
Onion wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

That definitely makes sense. Thanks for the advice :)

Seeing as we are all going into a career based off of advising people, I hope the advice offered on the board is helpful.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:01 am

mikeyp wrote:
Onion wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

+1

Often, those who go to Temple are going there largely because they want to be in a city, while most people who go to Villanova go there because they want to go to Villanova. You're likely to have an easier time meeting people at Villanova, making friends, and dare I say have a more "pleasant" experience. But its all about the type of atmosphere you want at this point.

As a villanova student, do you by any chance know how difficult it is to maintain a 3.25? I'm betting it's not easy, and it depends on your study habits, but at the same time I don't want to lose the scholarship while I'm there. Villanova gave me the 3.25 stipulation, and Temple requires that I'm in the top 50% of the class. I'm sure neither one is easy to do, though.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 am

changeitup wrote:As a villanova student, do you by any chance know how difficult it is to maintain a 3.25? I'm betting it's not easy, and it depends on your study habits, but at the same time I don't want to lose the scholarship while I'm there. Villanova gave me the 3.25 stipulation, and Temple requires that I'm in the top 50% of the class. I'm sure neither one is easy to do, though.

3.25 is around the top 35-40%. It's not an easy task, but to get a full ride you probably scored very well on the LSAT, so you probably have the mental capacity to understand the material well. So it really comes down to your study habits. If you put in the work, I don't see it being too difficult for you to do. If it helps, I am in the top 30% after the first semester and I shouldn't have even been accepted with my LSAT score! It just shows its about how much work you do. If you're ready, willing, and able, you will do it. You just need to do some honest self-reflection to answer that question.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 am

changeitup wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
Onion wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote: [What do you have from Temple? If they weren't matching the $$ I would take the full ride in a heartbeat.

+1

As a villanova student, do you by any chance know how difficult it is to maintain a 3.25? I'm betting it's not easy, and it depends on your study habits, but at the same time I don't want to lose the scholarship while I'm there. Villanova gave me the 3.25 stipulation, and Temple requires that I'm in the top 50% of the class. I'm sure neither one is easy to do, though.

I had a similar choice with scholarships to both (although not free rides). I chose Villanova despite it being slightly more expensive after the scholarships and having a slightly higher stipulation to maintain the scholarship simply because I felt more comfortable there when I visited. Also, I've spoken to a few attorneys in NYC and Boston and all of them seemed to think that Villanova was ranked significantly higher than Temple before I corrected them. FYI, I looked at the curve at Villanova (it's available online) when I was deciding and 3.25 is ~ top 1/3.

edit: I'm also a 0L
Last edited by bceagles182 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks for all the input! You all have been really helpful :)
Extra points for Villanova for having really nice prospective and current students haha.

I'll keep you all updated on my decision :)

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

I had a similar choice with scholarships to both (although not free rides). I chose Villanova despite it being slightly more expensive after the scholarships and having a slightly higher stipulation to maintain the scholarship simply because I felt more comfortable there when I visited. Also, I've spoken to a few attorneys in NYC and Boston and all of them seemed to think that Villanova was ranked significantly higher than Temple before I corrected them. FYI, I looked at the curve at Villanova (it's available online) when I was deciding and 3.25 is ~ top 1/3.

+1 similar situation and choose Villanova for the same reasons. Temple and Nova are about equal in Philly, maybe with Temple having a slight edge, but from speaking to attorneys, judges, lay people, it seems that once you start to leave the Philly area Nova outshines Temple. I've had to correct a lot of lay folk who thought it was Ivy league haha.
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

56ace

Postby 56ace » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 am

Congrats to those with scholarships, but would be interested to hear thoughts of attending at sticker. anybody thinking about it?

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

56ace wrote:Congrats to those with scholarships, but would be interested to hear thoughts of attending at sticker. anybody thinking about it?

I am going at sticker price, despite having several nice offers from other comparative schools. At the end of the day, I think the Pennsylvania market is a good market to get into, and the Villanova name is well respected. I also loved the campus, new building and the people that spoke at ASD. I also got a great feeling from students I spoke to who were currently attending, as well as the prospective students from this board. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to address them!

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:

+1 similar situation and choose Villanova for the same reasons. Temple are about equal in Philly, maybe with Temple having a slight edge, but from speaking to attorneys, judges, lay people, it seems that once you start to leave the Philly area Nova outshines Temple. I've had to correct a lot of lay folk who thought it was Ivy league haha.

Haha. A Catholic school in the Ivy League?! Imagine that!

I too was torn between Villanova and Temple (for this year's cycle) but ultimately chose Villanova. I would get in-state tuition at Temple, and they gave me a nominal ($5000, non-renewable) scholarship, while Villanova gave me $15,000 per year. This made them essentially a financial wash for me, with Nova possibly costing slightly more over three years. This allowed me to choose the one I really liked more.

I visited Temple and liked it but wasn't exceptionally impressed. Then I visited Nova and was really blown away. The new building is gorgeous and the student body seemed really supportive and welcoming, which I didn't necessarily get from Temple. I was a bit concerned that Temple might be better respected in Philadelphia, where I eventually hope to work (can you tell by my avatar?), but I talked to a lawyer friend of mine who practices in Philadelphia, and he told me that both are really well respected in Philadelphia's legal community and that I couldn't go wrong choosing the one I genuinely liked more. This sealed the deal for me, along with the fact that many of the people around me headed to law school next year, both from my current undergrad institution and even from my high school, are choosing Nova over Temple as well.

jkc939

Postby jkc939 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm

tsk070 wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

+1 similar situation and choose Villanova for the same reasons. Temple are about equal in Philly, maybe with Temple having a slight edge, but from speaking to attorneys, judges, lay people, it seems that once you start to leave the Philly area Nova outshines Temple. I've had to correct a lot of lay folk who thought it was Ivy league haha.

I too was torn between Villanova and Temple (for this year's cycle) but ultimately chose Villanova. I would get in-state tuition at Temple, and they gave me a nominal ($5000, non-renewable) scholarship, while Villanova gave me $15,000 per year. This made them essentially a financial wash for me, with Nova possibly costing slightly more over three years. This allowed me to choose the one I really liked more.

I visited Temple and liked it but wasn't exceptionally impressed. Then I visited Nova and was really blown away. The new building is gorgeous and the student body seemed really supportive and welcoming, which I didn't necessarily get from Temple. I was a bit concerned that Temple might be better respected in Philadelphia, where I eventually hope to work (can you tell by my avatar?), but I talked to a lawyer friend of mine who practices in Philadelphia, and he told me that both are really well respected in Philadelphia's legal community and that I couldn't go wrong choosing the one I genuinely liked more. This sealed the deal for me, along with the fact that many of the people around me headed to law school next year, both from my current undergrad institution and even from my high school, are choosing Nova over Temple as well.

This sums up my thoughts pretty much to a T. Both schools will take you where to go, provided you work hard and network, but I ultimately decided on Villanova and I am very happy with my decision. Admittedly they offered me a scholarship while temple did not, but even if they hadn't I would have picked Nova without much thought, as I am from out of state. On the downside, I guess I am going to have to get used to going to school with a bunch of Phillies fans - I'm a Mets / Jets fan :). Anyways, I'm pretty excited to get goin, meet some new people and start a new chapter.

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 pm

jkc939 wrote:
tsk070 wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:

This sums up my thoughts pretty much to a T. Both schools will take you where to go, provided you work hard and network, but I ultimately decided on Villanova and I am very happy with my decision. Admittedly they offered me a scholarship while temple did not, but even if they hadn't I would have picked Nova without much thought, as I am from out of state. On the downside, I guess I am going to have to get used to going to school with a bunch of Phillies fans - I'm a Mets / Jets fan :). Anyways, I'm pretty excited to get goin, meet some new people and start a new chapter.

This, except go Yankees, Giants, Rangers! Defiantly agree with excited to meet everyone and begin the process.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”