Villanova 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roecyris

Re: Villanova 2010

Postby roecyris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 am

JB6816 wrote:Applied to both Villanova and Temple. WL from Villanova and no response at all from Temple. I guess I'll just keep waiting with everyone else!!

I am currently WL at Villanova and after three months of waiting for Temple I was finally denied on Sunday (i know, right? sunday?). Such crap timing cuz I dropped off a LOCI in their office Monday morning, haha. C'est la vie! Also, just as long as were talking area schools, I was accepted at Rutgers-Camden and my numbers (158/3.35) are slightly below 25% for LSAT & just at the median for GPA ... I don't have a clue how I was WL at Villanova with these numbers.

I'm going to Rutgers almost certainly (although MSU just contacted me with a large $$$ offer), but I still want to know if Villanova would have me so I'm not pulling out of the race just yet.

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you!

Onion

Postby Onion » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 pm

When I was at Villanova for a tour, the 1L giving the tour said it was becoming popular among the professors to not allow computers to be used during class time. Can any Villanova students comment on this? My hand writing is so poor I can barely read it myself. Writing an exam or even just taking notes could be detrimental without a laptop for me.

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Onion wrote:When I was at Villanova for a tour, the 1L giving the tour said it was becoming popular among the professors to not allow computers to be used during class time. Can any Villanova students comment on this? My hand writing is so poor I can barely read it myself. Writing an exam or even just taking notes could be detrimental without a laptop for me.

I heard the same thing when I went on a tour and have read the same thing elsewhere. Do any current students at Villanova feel like not being able to use a computer in class helps/hurts them in any way? I was under the impression that using a computer in class was all but essential, both for taking notes and the ability to quickly reference cases and briefs...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Interesting, I sort of like the no laptop in class idea. It's not a huge deal breaker for, most of my typing will be before/after class anyway. It would kind of suck not to be able to actively edit my notes/outlines.

As long as I can take my exam on a computer, I'm good.

Onion

Postby Onion » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:Interesting, I sort of like the no laptop in class idea. It's not a huge deal breaker for, most of my typing will be before/after class anyway. It would kind of suck not to be able to actively edit my notes/outlines.

As long as I can take my exam on a computer, I'm good though.

I should have asked about exams and if you are allowed to type them. Also, I feel like typing notes during class and then going back to edit/ supplement them would be preferable for me, rather than trying to decipher my handwriting and re-creating my notes a second time after class. As far as briefs and past notes, I suppose you could just keep a binder and continue to print stuff out along the way, thought I would think people constantly flipping back and forth and looking for paperwork would be more distracting to peers than if their neighbor was on the internet. I feel like by law school, people should have some degree of self control.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Onion wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Interesting, I sort of like the no laptop in class idea. It's not a huge deal breaker for, most of my typing will be before/after class anyway. It would kind of suck not to be able to actively edit my notes/outlines.

As long as I can take my exam on a computer, I'm good though.

I should have asked about exams and if you are allowed to type them.

You can, I asked when I visited. As for the rest, I totally agree.

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Onion wrote:When I was at Villanova for a tour, the 1L giving the tour said it was becoming popular among the professors to not allow computers to be used during class time. Can any Villanova students comment on this? My hand writing is so poor I can barely read it myself. Writing an exam or even just taking notes could be detrimental without a laptop for me.

When I visited last week, I went to a 1L elective class called Justice and Rights. Out of about 20-30 people in the class, none had their laptop open. I would bet that the professor doesn't allow their use.

Onion

Postby Onion » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm

tsk070 wrote:

When I visited last week, I went to a 1L elective class called Justice and Rights. Out of about 20-30 people in the class, none had their laptop open. I would bet that the professor doesn't allow their use.

Ugh, this is the opposite of what I wanted to hear. Oh well, I will have to start practicing reading my sorry excuse for handwritten notes now. It is like learning to read another language.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I don't know about it becoming popular. My first semester we were allowed to use laptops in all classes. This semester, I only have one class that doesn't allow laptops (Con Law). I was annoyed, but honestly, it has worked out for the better.

Onion wrote:I should have asked about exams and if you are allowed to type them. Also, I feel like typing notes during class and then going back to edit/ supplement them would be preferable for me, rather than trying to decipher my handwriting and re-creating my notes a second time after class. As far as briefs and past notes, I suppose you could just keep a binder and continue to print stuff out along the way, thought I would think people constantly flipping back and forth and looking for paperwork would be more distracting to peers than if their neighbor was on the internet. I feel like by law school, people should have some degree of self control.

All exams can be taken on a laptop. It ends up working out, because you will take notes as you read, which you can type or write in the margins. Most people do what you said is "tedious"--that is, type notes and print out for class--but it's not as tedious as you think. It's actually very helpful because you have everything you need in a neatly typed sheet, so when you're called on you don't look like a donkey. :)

tsk070 wrote:When I visited last week, I went to a 1L elective class called Justice and Rights. Out of about 20-30 people in the class, none had their laptop open. I would bet that the professor doesn't allow their use.

Just a heads up...Justice and Rights is NOT a typical class. It is an elective, which most people took because they couldn't get one of the other electives offered to 1Ls, and its subject matter is more philosophical and policy oriented. Its a very academic class.

Onion

Postby Onion » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for clearing some of that up!

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

mikeyp wrote:Just a heads up...Justice and Rights is NOT a typical class. It is an elective, which most people took because they couldn't get one of the other electives offered to 1Ls, and its subject matter is more philosophical and policy oriented. Its a very academic class.

While you're on the topic, is it particularly hard to get your preferred 1L elective? If you don't mind sharing, which one do you have? Was it your first choice?

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 pm

just got a $10k/yr scholarship offer, so don't give up to everyone who hasn't heard yet because they're not completely tapped out

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

bitlrc wrote:just got a $10k/yr scholarship offer, so don't give up to everyone who hasn't heard yet because they're not completely tapped out

same here...this makes my decision a little more interesting...

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Just got full tuition. Hell yeah.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

liquidsword wrote:
bitlrc wrote:just got a $10k/yr scholarship offer, so don't give up to everyone who hasn't heard yet because they're not completely tapped out

same here...this makes my decision a little more interesting...

same here as well; it's dependent on a 3.25 gpa though-- that's definitely not a given in law school

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 pm

tsk070 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:Just a heads up...Justice and Rights is NOT a typical class. It is an elective, which most people took because they couldn't get one of the other electives offered to 1Ls, and its subject matter is more philosophical and policy oriented. Its a very academic class.

While you're on the topic, is it particularly hard to get your preferred 1L elective? If you don't mind sharing, which one do you have? Was it your first choice?

nope not at all. the people that didn't get their elective slacked on signing up. if you have a preference, you really should be ready to sign up literally the second it becomes available. but there are a bunch of seats. i'm taking criminal procedure, it was my first choice.

tadesire85

Postby tadesire85 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Hello All,

Anyone know how I can find out if Villanova alumni can successfully transition to California law firms? I am worried of attending an out of state law school when my plan is to live and practice in California. I have heard such great things about Villanova and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to attend the school.

thanks

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 pm

tadesire85 wrote:Hello All,

Anyone know how I can find out if Villanova alumni can successfully transition to California law firms? I am worried of attending an out of state law school when my plan is to live and practice in California. I have heard such great things about Villanova and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to attend the school.

thanks

Maybe send them an email asking
http://www.law.villanova.edu/Alumni/Alu ... #ContactUs

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 am

finally accepted :)

To those of you guys who got scholarship money, about how long after being accepted did you hear about it? Thanks!!

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 am

changeitup wrote:finally accepted :)

To those of you guys who got scholarship money, about how long after being accepted did you hear about it? Thanks!!

about a week i think. accepted on status checker, received a letter in the mail, then got a scholarship offer via email

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 am

Took me about 5 weeks to get mine, but I've heard it was quicker for others.

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 am

It seems they've sent them out in batches, for the most part independently of when you were admitted. I was admitted January 28 and got my scholarship on March 1. It looks like a lot of scholarships went out then, and another batch seems to have gone out yesterday or so.

jkh

Postby jkh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:46 am

Anyone going to ASD this weekend? I'll be there, flying to Philly in a few hours. Excited!

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am

jkh wrote:Anyone going to ASD this weekend? I'll be there, flying to Philly in a few hours. Excited!

I'll be there!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”