Villanova 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jkh

Re: Villanova 2010

Postby jkh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Anyone going to ASD next weekend? If so, where are you staying?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

wooo, just got my financial aid package... approved for 45k in loans. lulz

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:wooo, just got my financial aid package... approved for 45k in loans. lulz

How long did it take to get your package after you sent in info?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Like a week or two after I sent in the final piece of paper work.

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Onion wrote:
beach_terror wrote:wooo, just got my financial aid package... approved for 45k in loans. lulz

How long did it take to get your package after you sent in info?

For me it took less than a week, probably 4-5 days or so. You can check online on Novasis and they also send you an email when everything is ready.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm

jkh wrote:Anyone going to ASD next weekend? If so, where are you staying?

I'll be there, I live in NJ so I'm driving up

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:26 pm

beach_terror wrote:Like a week or two after I sent in the final piece of paper work.

It is just the FAFSA App and the extra Villanova Fin Aid packet right?

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Onion wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Like a week or two after I sent in the final piece of paper work.

Correct; if they need anything extra they will email you a form to fill out.

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
Onion wrote:

Correct; if they need anything extra they will email you a form to fill out.

Great, Thanks!

um08

Postby um08 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:00 am

I finally got a decision after being complete since 12/1 and under review since 1/19.. e-mailed admissions yesterday afternoon to see what the holdup was and they sent me an e-mail acceptance at 11pm.

I will most likely go to open house next week.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 am

Going to mail my seat deposit tomorrow :shock: ahhh! nervous haha

Onion

Postby Onion » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 pm

horriblegb wrote:Going to mail my seat deposit tomorrow :shock: ahhh! nervous haha

It's liberating!

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Onion wrote:
horriblegb wrote:Going to mail my seat deposit tomorrow :shock: ahhh! nervous haha

It's liberating!

Will probably be sending mine in soon also, still trying to make the final decision :shock:

jkh

Postby jkh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Same here!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 am

Haha it is, but i do not think it has even hit me yet, glad to know that some other TLS people will be joining me, so it makes me feel less like I may be doing something completely crazy haha

Onion

Postby Onion » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:23 am

horriblegb wrote:Haha it is, but i do not think it has even hit me yet, glad to know that some other TLS people will be joining me, so it makes me feel less like I may be doing something completely crazy haha

I'll be 100% honest, even after I made the decision and sent in money to Villanova and withdrew from all other schools, I am still wondering it I am crazy and weather or not I made the right decision. I second that it makes me feel better that other TLS people will be attending as well. Now we just have to take care of our living situations.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am

Anyone attending at sticker price? Strongly considering it, wondering if I'm the only one in this boat.

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:57 am

beach_terror wrote:Anyone attending at sticker price? Strongly considering it, wondering if I'm the only one in this boat.

I turned down big money at other (lower ranked) schools to come to Villanova at sticker, so no, you are not alone. I sent in my seat deposit last Monday and putting it in the mail was one of the best feelings of my life. Factoring in the scholarship money I turned down, putting that envelope in the mail was a six figure financial swing, but I don't regret it one bit. It feels so good to know I have something to do next year, and I'm sure when the rest of you send in your deposits, you will feel the same way. Villanova is a great place and offers a fine legal education. I think the feeling of apprehension a lot of you are feeling would exist no matter what school you were thinking of attending. You just need to bite the bullet and mail it in - it literally feels like a boulder has been lifted off of your back.

Onion

Postby Onion » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:37 pm

nyred10 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Anyone attending at sticker price? Strongly considering it, wondering if I'm the only one in this boat.

I turned down big money at other (lower ranked) schools to come to Villanova at sticker, so no, you are not alone. I sent in my seat deposit last Monday and putting it in the mail was one of the best feelings of my life. Factoring in the scholarship money I turned down, putting that envelope in the mail was a six figure financial swing, but I don't regret it one bit. It feels so good to know I have something to do next year, and I'm sure when the rest of you send in your deposits, you will feel the same way. Villanova is a great place and offers a fine legal education. I think the feeling of apprehension a lot of you are feeling would exist no matter what school you were thinking of attending. You just need to bite the bullet and mail it in - it literally feels like a boulder has been lifted off of your back.

+ 1 Million! Same situation here, turned down money at my state school to come to Villanova at sticker. The decision brought to mind a scene in the movie "Risky Business": "Sometimes you just gota say, what the F***". This was one of those times for me. I am pumped to have gotten in and could not turn it down even at sticker.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Any of you guys turn down Temple for Nova mind telling or PMing me why? I'm stuck between the two.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Onion wrote:
horriblegb wrote:Haha it is, but i do not think it has even hit me yet, glad to know that some other TLS people will be joining me, so it makes me feel less like I may be doing something completely crazy haha

I'll be 100% honest, even after I made the decision and sent in money to Villanova and withdrew from all other schools, I am still wondering it I am crazy and weather or not I made the right decision. I second that it makes me feel better that other TLS people will be attending as well. Now we just have to take care of our living situations.

I know and that is scary enough, I do not currently live anywhere close to PA, let alone Villanova. I do have a small scholly, but I did give up some other ones to attend here, but i wouldn't have gone to those schools after visiting anyways. Go wildcats! :) yay, happy easter and super excited today!

jkc939

Postby jkc939 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:50 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Any of you guys turn down Temple for Nova mind telling or PMing me why? I'm stuck between the two.

I just submitted my seat deposit and am looking forward to going to villanova. Like some of these other posts, I turned down some bigger scholarship offers because it seemed like a great place. I decided between villanova and temple too, and chose nova for a few reasons. The building was amazing, I thought alot nicer than temple's and I liked the location. It just seems like life would be easier in the suburbs, having a parking garage right at the building, easily accessible housing nearby, and still easy access to philly. In terms of the school itself, I felt like the students were a pretty cohesive group when I visited, and I got the feeling that people work hard but also make time to do stuff and have a good time. Everyone was super friendly, and I have only heard good things about the school's academics. Also I'm not a PA resident so the in state tuition at temple doesn't apply to me, and villanova offered me a scholarship while temple didn't. Plus big east hoops will be pretty cool. I think either school provides a great education and future opportunities so for me it came down to other factors.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:03 pm

I kind of get the sense that I'd like Nova,but, I feel like I won't hear from them in time, so I won't be able to visit and decided to not pay sticker anywhere. Public interest or government and sticker don't seem to mesh. Sad, because from what I've heard, Nova has a lot of what I'm looking for. :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:05 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Any of you guys turn down Temple for Nova mind telling or PMing me why? I'm stuck between the two.

It's tough to justify Nova over Temple if you live in PA. Yeah, Temple's location is meh, and it's a whole different feel than Nova is... but you save like 20k a year in tuition (18v37), so 60k over 3 years.

I'm still riding the Temple WL, but now I'm between Syracuse (30k scholly, so 15/yr) and Nova at sticker.

tsk070

Postby tsk070 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm just about ready to commit to Villanova over Temple. Villanova gave me $15k per year, which makes it more or less even with Temple considering I would get in-state, so this allows me to choose the school I really like better. I visited both, and while I liked Temple, I wasn't exceptionally impressed, although I was blown away by Villanova. In addition to its beautiful new facility, I also just got a much better vibe, especially from the students, who seemed to be very cohesive, friendly, and welcoming.

I personally like the Augustinian philosophy at the basis of the university as a whole; seeing as I attended what you might call Villanova undergrad's "feeder" high school (also Augustinian), I like the idea of going back to it. Additionally, I have several friends who are all leaning Villanova over Temple. Also, a lawyer friend of mine who works in Philadelphia said that both are very well respected in the Philadelphia legal community, and that I couldn't go wrong with either one, so I should pick the one that really excited me.

All these things have more or less sealed the deal for me, so I think I'll be sending in my deposit in the next week or so.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”