Villanova 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TarHeel2010

New

Re: Villanova 2010

Post by TarHeel2010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:00 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Well I e-mailed about scholarships and here's the e-mail i got after 4 hrs.

"Each of our admitted students are reviewed for merit based scholarships at the time they are admitted, however, students above the medians (LSAT: 162 and GPA: 3.42) are considered most competitive for merit awards.

At this point, we have awarded our scholarship offers, but we may be able to make some additional awards after the April 15 deposit deadline if funds become available. I've added you to the list of students who can be considered for scholarships if additional funds become available."

I guess I'm not getting any, yet.
I emailed them and received the same response. Does anyone think it would be out of line for me to email them back and say that I have generous scholarship offers from other schools and without any money from Villanova I will be withdrawing my application?
I think that is fine as long as you are prepared for them to say "ok, good luck wherever you end up". If you are serious about not attending if you don't get money then i see no harm in asking for it....actually it might be stupid not to...what do you have to lose?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Well I e-mailed about scholarships and here's the e-mail i got after 4 hrs.

"Each of our admitted students are reviewed for merit based scholarships at the time they are admitted, however, students above the medians (LSAT: 162 and GPA: 3.42) are considered most competitive for merit awards.

At this point, we have awarded our scholarship offers, but we may be able to make some additional awards after the April 15 deposit deadline if funds become available. I've added you to the list of students who can be considered for scholarships if additional funds become available."

I emailed them and received the same response. Does anyone think it would be out of line for me to email them back and say that I have generous scholarship offers from other schools and without any money from Villanova I will be withdrawing my application?
sounds like a threat to me. I dont know how effective/leverage its going to have. I mean i guess it'll be effective if your numbers are way above their median.

jegnyr

New

Post by jegnyr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Really? No more money. None for me? Sigh.

164, 3.7

xj5

New

Post by xj5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 pm

jegnyr wrote:Really? No more money. None for me? Sigh.

164, 3.7
I feel you. I'm in the same boat. I called and was told that that they will still be giving out offers over the next few weeks. It sounds like it is still a possibility for us, but my confidence in getting some decent money is nowhere near where it was last week...

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

sounds like a threat to me. I dont know how effective/leverage its going to have. I mean i guess it'll be effective if your numbers are way above their median.
I didn't really mean it as a threat. It was more of a question as to whether you can negotiate from no scholarship into some money by leveraging with another schools offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

I didn't really mean it as a threat. It was more of a question as to whether you can negotiate from no scholarship into some money by leveraging with another schools offer.
I thought about doing this too. I think a better way of approaching it might be to e-mail them about how thrilled you would be to attend Villanova but mention how you did get scholarship offers from other schools and ask if there's anything they can do for you. Saying you will withdraw if you're not offered any money might come off the wrong way.

I just emailed them asking if they could offer anything before the seat deposit deadline. We'll see what they have to say tomorrow I guess.

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Got the physical scholarship letter in the mail today; scholarship email was received 3/1.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

TWoodWil wrote:Got the physical scholarship letter in the mail today; scholarship email was received 3/1.

+1

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:
Time to call out another entitled brat. No school is "fucking ridiculous" for not accepting you and offering you a scholarship quickly. They're not necessarily frothing at the mouth for everyone with numbers above their medians. They already chose the people with high numbers they want, and they liked those applicants more than you. More than likely, you're going to get YPed.
I don't think that Villanova is ridiculous for neglecting to accept me and quickly offer me a scholarship. I think it's ridiculous that I haven't heard anything from them while they've been accepting dozens of folks who applied literally months after I did. The fact that my numbers are above their medians compounds this situation. If they were practicing yield protection they would have waitlisted me early, to gauge how much I wanted to attend. My numbers are also not really high enough for YP.

My point is that I think it's ridiculous that I've heard back from 10 other schools in the same amount of time that I've been waiting for Villanova. Some of them have rejected me, some have waitlisted me. If Villanova chose to do the same, I would understand and certainly wouldn't complain. I am complaining, however, that I have been waiting for a 'fucking ridiculous' amount of time to hear anything. HTH. :D
I feel you on this. I've been waiting for nearly 3 months on a decision from these people. How are they "trying to keep up with the volume of applications they received" when they are accepting people who applied after I went complete? I mean, if they're going to reject me, I wish they would do so so I can move on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TarHeel2010

New

Post by TarHeel2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:23 pm

hoping status checker changes today....

set88

New

Post by set88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm

TarHeel2010 wrote:hoping status checker changes today....
I hope this every day. And have been for quite a while. sigh.

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm

+1

went complete 1/8 and haven't gone under review yet...oh well

x47point6

Bronze

Post by x47point6 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I was in at VLS mid-December, LSAT ~10+ the 75th, and GPA about ~0.6+ the 75th. No merit scholarship offer *yet*, though looking at this thread I kind of doubt it's coming.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

changeitup

New

Post by changeitup » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm

bitlrc wrote:
+1

went complete 1/8 and haven't gone under review yet...oh well
me too...
complete 1/7. I just want to know already. I'd love to get in, but if they don't want me, I'd like to know and move on.

set88

New

Post by set88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

x47point6 wrote:I was in at VLS mid-December, LSAT ~10+ the 75th, and GPA about ~0.6+ the 75th. No merit scholarship offer *yet*, though looking at this thread I kind of doubt it's coming.
If your LSAT's that much higher, they may figure you wouldn't bother coming there anyway. I don't know why schools do this :( If I didn't want to come there I wouldn't have applied. But yet they seem set on giving scholarships and stuff to students AT not ABOVE medians. I'm experiencing that with a couple schools and it's frustrating.

x47point6

Bronze

Post by x47point6 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

lawbreaker wrote:
set88 wrote:
x47point6 wrote:I was in at VLS mid-December, LSAT ~10+ the 75th, and GPA about ~0.6+ the 75th. No merit scholarship offer *yet*, though looking at this thread I kind of doubt it's coming.
If your LSAT's that much higher, they may figure you wouldn't bother coming there anyway. I don't know why schools do this :( If I didn't want to come there I wouldn't have applied. But yet they seem set on giving scholarships and stuff to students AT not ABOVE medians. I'm experiencing that with a couple schools and it's frustrating.
You should e-mail them to show interest if your scores are that high. Mine are above both medians and I got money but I think it might be because I e-mailed them several times and showed interest. Especially with a 170+ lsat score, I think if you talked to them and insinuated you would attend if given money, they would give it to you.
PMed

changeitup

New

Post by changeitup » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 pm

still at application complete 1/7 :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

x47point6

Bronze

Post by x47point6 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Wrote them an email re merit scholarships, got the same standard response as above. Already have Penn and Temple w/ Beasley, does anyone see a strategic reason to push this or should I just withdraw?

changeitup

New

Post by changeitup » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

x47point6 wrote:Wrote them an email re merit scholarships, got the same standard response as above. Already have Penn and Temple w/ Beasley, does anyone see a strategic reason to push this or should I just withdraw?
I'm in the same exact situation. (Penn and Temple w/ Beasley) I honestly have no idea if there's anything we can do at this point.

Oops...misread. I haven't gotten in yet though. Lol so I'm just waiting on an acceptance (and hopefully money)

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 pm

I wrote them an email and I got the standard response saying all scholarships had been awarded. I then wrote back asking if there was any chance of reconsideration based on my offer from PSU and I got the exact same standard email back.

I'm pretty much done with Villanova. I am about 99% sure I will be withdrawing after my visit to Penn State in two weeks.

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm beginning to think Villanova hates me. I've been complete since 1/8. My numbers are >75% in GPA, and median for LSAT. Is this length of a wait normal or should I expect to be getting waitlisted?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:30 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Completed since 9/28

beat that :(

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:44 pm

yeahyeah2121 wrote:I'm beginning to think Villanova hates me. I've been complete since 1/8. My numbers are >75% in GPA, and median for LSAT. Is this length of a wait normal or should I expect to be getting waitlisted?
I'm a 1L at Villanova, and I had similar numbers. I was accepted outright, but not until mid-late March. It's not uncommon, so don't get too frustrated.

changeitup

New

Post by changeitup » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 pm

mikeyp wrote:
yeahyeah2121 wrote:I'm beginning to think Villanova hates me. I've been complete since 1/8. My numbers are >75% in GPA, and median for LSAT. Is this length of a wait normal or should I expect to be getting waitlisted?
I'm a 1L at Villanova, and I had similar numbers. I was accepted outright, but not until mid-late March. It's not uncommon, so don't get too frustrated.

Thanks for letting us know! That definitely helps make me feel better! How do you like it there so far?

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

changeitup wrote:
mikeyp wrote:

Thanks for letting us know! That definitely helps make me feel better! How do you like it there so far?
Oh I love it! I answered a bunch of questions about it in these threads:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=103274
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=105095

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”