Villanova 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway

Re: Villanova 2010

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Well I e-mailed about scholarships and here's the e-mail i got after 4 hrs.

"Each of our admitted students are reviewed for merit based scholarships at the time they are admitted, however, students above the medians (LSAT: 162 and GPA: 3.42) are considered most competitive for merit awards.

At this point, we have awarded our scholarship offers, but we may be able to make some additional awards after the April 15 deposit deadline if funds become available. I've added you to the list of students who can be considered for scholarships if additional funds become available."

I guess I'm not getting any, yet.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Who did you email, admissions or financial aid? I emailed finaid, and haven't got a response back yet.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:Who did you email, admissions or financial aid? I emailed finaid, and haven't got a response back yet.

Feona H. Persaud Singh
Assistant Director for Admissions
Villanova University School of Law
299 N. Spring Mill Road
Villanova, PA 19085
610-519-7081

she e-mailed me back

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Well I e-mailed about scholarships and here's the e-mail i got after 4 hrs.

"Each of our admitted students are reviewed for merit based scholarships at the time they are admitted, however, students above the medians (LSAT: 162 and GPA: 3.42) are considered most competitive for merit awards.

At this point, we have awarded our scholarship offers, but we may be able to make some additional awards after the April 15 deposit deadline if funds become available. I've added you to the list of students who can be considered for scholarships if additional funds become available."

I'm going to guess if we haven't heard then we're not getting anything. This makes my choice a lot easier...its hard to turn down a big scholarship from Penn State to pay sticker at Villanova.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Well I e-mailed about scholarships and here's the e-mail i got after 4 hrs.

I'm going to guess if we haven't heard then we're not getting anything. This makes my choice a lot easier...its hard to turn down a big scholarship from Penn State to pay sticker at Villanova.

yep.. its 14k from pitt vs 10k from PSU for me now.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

Yeah 20k at PSU v. nothing at Villanova...plus a lower COL in State College. I am visiting both in two weeks so Villanova is going to have to blow me out of the water for me to really consider it.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

Yeah 20k at PSU v. nothing at Villanova...plus a lower COL in State College. I am visiting both in two weeks so Villanova is going to have to blow me out of the water for me to really consider it.

i'm going to visit villanova soon too but please give me an update on how it is! I bet the new building will probably blow you out of the water....but then again, PSU's Carlisle's new building is banging i heard....

xj5

Postby xj5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Wow! I'm really surprised to read this. I am well above both medians and I haven't received any scholarship info. I've been in contact with an admissions officer and he made it seem as if the scholarship committee is still reviewing applications. I was expecting an update today or tomorrow from him.

I'm not sure what to think now. I was definitely expecting some $$ from Villanova...

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 am

So since my numbers are above both the medians, I am 'competitive for a merit award' at Villanova. And they've already doled out their merit awards, but they haven't yet made a decision on my application after being complete for 3 months? Excuse my francais, but this school is fucking ridiculous.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 am

Burger in a can wrote:

So since my numbers are above both the medians, I am 'competitive for a merit award' at Villanova. And they've already doled out their merit awards, but they haven't yet made a decision on my application after being complete for 3 months? Excuse my francais, but this school is fucking ridiculous.

sorry dude.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 am

Burger in a can wrote:

my thoughts exactly...

villanova is the only school right now that could sway my decision. temple gave me an amazing offer, but i'd really like to add villanova into the mix.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 am

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

Speaking from some experience....COL in State College is not as cheap as you might expect... Certainly you can live in a UG area for relatively cheap and routinely deal with drunk people but if you want to live somewhere thats pretty nice AND quiet, your costs will approach those of a "decent" apt in Phlipadelphia... Just trying to help....

However, if VILLA doesn't come near to matching your 20k from PSU, then it is a very easy decision regardless of COL.. GL

xj5

Postby xj5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 pm

xj5 wrote:

Wow! I'm really surprised to read this. I am well above both medians and I haven't received any scholarship info. I've been in contact with an admissions officer and he made it seem as if the scholarship committee is still reviewing applications. I was expecting an update today or tomorrow from him.

I'm not sure what to think now. I was definitely expecting some $$ from Villanova...

Any thoughts on what I should do? Just wait? If I don't hear anything I'll definitely contact them by the end of the week.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

Time to call out another entitled brat. No school is "fucking ridiculous" for not accepting you and offering you a scholarship quickly. They're not necessarily frothing at the mouth for everyone with numbers above their medians. They already chose the people with high numbers they want, and they liked those applicants more than you. More than likely, you're going to get YPed.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
Time to call out another entitled brat. No school is "fucking ridiculous" for not accepting you and offering you a scholarship quickly. They're not necessarily frothing at the mouth for everyone with numbers above their medians. They already chose the people with high numbers they want, and they liked those applicants more than you. More than likely, you're going to get YPed.

I don't think that Villanova is ridiculous for neglecting to accept me and quickly offer me a scholarship. I think it's ridiculous that I haven't heard anything from them while they've been accepting dozens of folks who applied literally months after I did. The fact that my numbers are above their medians compounds this situation. If they were practicing yield protection they would have waitlisted me early, to gauge how much I wanted to attend. My numbers are also not really high enough for YP.

My point is that I think it's ridiculous that I've heard back from 10 other schools in the same amount of time that I've been waiting for Villanova. Some of them have rejected me, some have waitlisted me. If Villanova chose to do the same, I would understand and certainly wouldn't complain. I am complaining, however, that I have been waiting for a 'fucking ridiculous' amount of time to hear anything. HTH. :D

um08

Postby um08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:

I don't think that Villanova is ridiculous for neglecting to accept me and quickly offer me a scholarship. I think it's ridiculous that I haven't heard anything from them while they've been accepting dozens of folks who applied literally months after I did. The fact that my numbers are above their medians compounds this situation. If they were practicing yield protection they would have waitlisted me early, to gauge how much I wanted to attend. My numbers are also not really high enough for YP.

My point is that I think it's ridiculous that I've heard back from 10 other schools in the same amount of time that I've been waiting for Villanova. Some of them have rejected me, some have waitlisted me. If Villanova chose to do the same, I would understand and certainly wouldn't complain. I am complaining, however, that I have been waiting for a 'fucking ridiculous' amount of time to hear anything. HTH. :D

Agreed. I'm in a similar situation.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm

lawbreaker wrote:
I think you should call them and tell them your situation. It's shocking to me that you haven't heard anything back when your LSAT score is probably a top one among their applicants. It wouldn't surprise me if they had accidentally overlooked your application. If I were in your position, I might even go there in person (if you live nearby) to find out what's going on because something is wrong.

I actually did contact them a couple of weeks ago to ensure that my application was complete, and they verified that it was.

By the way, congratulations on your scholarship, numbers twin! I noticed the 'A' next to Villanova on your LSN profile- Congrats on making your decision! :mrgreen:

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:
I think you should call them and tell them your situation. It's shocking to me that you haven't heard anything back when your LSAT score is probably a top one among their applicants. It wouldn't surprise me if they had accidentally overlooked your application. If I were in your position, I might even go there in person (if you live nearby) to find out what's going on because something is wrong.

I actually did contact them a couple of weeks ago to ensure that my application was complete, and they verified that it was.

By the way, congratulations on your scholarship, numbers twin! I noticed the 'A' next to Villanova on your LSN profile- Congrats on making your decision! :mrgreen:

I just called them and got the "we've had a lot of applications this year so it's taken a while" response :(

xj5

Postby xj5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:38 pm

changeitup wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:

I just called them and got the "we've had a lot of applications this year so it's taken a while" response :(

But did they make it seem as if scholarship offers are still going out?

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:47 pm

xj5 wrote:
changeitup wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:

To those not admitted yet, yes. So there's still hope atleast.

xj5

Postby xj5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm

changeitup wrote:
xj5 wrote:
changeitup wrote:

well I was admitted over a month ago. they know i'm interested, so I don't know whats going on. good luck.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Just received acceptance today, gathered here that no scholarships have gone out so I'll wait for that.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 pm

xj5 wrote:
changeitup wrote:
xj5 wrote:
changeitup wrote:

well I was admitted over a month ago. they know i'm interested, so I don't know whats going on. good luck.

Have you tried calling them? I hope you end up getting an offer! Good luck!

um08

Postby um08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 pm

champ33 wrote:Just received acceptance today, gathered here that no scholarships have gone out so I'll wait for that.

When did you go 'under review'? / Stats?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:52 pm

I emailed them and received the same response. Does anyone think it would be out of line for me to email them back and say that I have generous scholarship offers from other schools and without any money from Villanova I will be withdrawing my application?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”