Villanova 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mikeyp

Bronze

Re: Villanova 2010

Post by mikeyp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:46 pm

smartin wrote:Sent an email asking to my name to be removed from the wait list. Not that I needed to -- I think the wait list is opt-in, not opt-out.

I got into Temple, which is a ton less expensive as a resident, and I've already done my time living on the Main Line.

Word to the wise, avoid drinking at Kelly's on Lancaster Ave -- it's where the undergrads go. The Grog has fewer douchebags. At least these things were true three years ago.
haha its still true. kelly's is not so great. flip & baileys is the best place to go--its nice, comfortable, CHEAP, and its where all the law students go. the grog is ok, but its small and pricey for now legitimate reason. brownies is another cool place and they have live bands.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 pm

mikeyp wrote:
smartin wrote:Sent an email asking to my name to be removed from the wait list. Not that I needed to -- I think the wait list is opt-in, not opt-out.

I got into Temple, which is a ton less expensive as a resident, and I've already done my time living on the Main Line.

Word to the wise, avoid drinking at Kelly's on Lancaster Ave -- it's where the undergrads go. The Grog has fewer douchebags. At least these things were true three years ago.
haha its still true. kelly's is not so great. flip & baileys is the best place to go--its nice, comfortable, CHEAP, and its where all the law students go. the grog is ok, but its small and pricey for now legitimate reason. brownies is another cool place and they have live bands.
I went to a grateful dead tribute band concert at brownies several years ago. ahh, the memories.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

smartin wrote:I went to a grateful dead tribute band concert at brownies several years ago. ahh, the memories.
haha they played a few weeks ago too! but i didn't go.

NYVA311

Bronze

Post by NYVA311 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 pm

For all of you who have been accepted after the April 15 deposit deadline, when is your deposit deadline?

Just wondering because I'd assume there will be some waitlist movement after this date :D

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:03 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:How many people out there are still waiting for any response from Villanova?
count me in. complete since 1/13. yes, just complete on 1/13. no word since. I've already deposited elsewhere, so not too concerned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

um08

New

Post by um08 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm

NYVA311 wrote:For all of you who have been accepted after the April 15 deposit deadline, when is your deposit deadline?

Just wondering because I'd assume there will be some waitlist movement after this date :D
April 30th - I was accepted a week or 2 before the April 15th deadline

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I just got one of the 20k scholarships, but it's 3.2 conditional. I'm definitely considering it. Does anyone know if Nova section stacks? Sorry if this has been addressed.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Not sure if it was addressed in here or another forum, but MikeyP stated that Nova did not stack sections based on scholarships. I would pm him if you had more questions.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:55 pm

badpixie wrote:
WithGrace23 wrote:Wow badpixie, you'd think that with your LSAT they would have moved a little faster in accepting you...
I applied really late in the cycle (early March), so I'm not surprised, considering how long most others have been waiting. Also, I'm very non-traditional, so my age may be a concern. I had responses from some schools pretty quickly, but I'm still waiting to hear from several. I'm allowing myself to believe that the reason for the delay is that they are trying to find merit scholly $ lying around somewhere. It makes the waiting slightly easier. :wink:
You might be YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 pm

mikeyp wrote:

What wrong with undergrads being a bar? Isn't that the best way to meet good looking women? :P

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 pm

jimicornerstone wrote:I just got one of the 20k scholarships, but it's 3.2 conditional. I'm definitely considering it. Does anyone know if Nova section stacks? Sorry if this has been addressed.
they don't stack

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Mon May 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Just spoke with Villanova about the roommate list and they said they will release it to students who have made a deposit towards the end of this month.

EDIT: Can anyone lend any insight as to how difficult it is to find a roommate?

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Finally went IR 5/4, after being stuck at complete since 2/2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 am

jman77 wrote:Finally went IR 5/4, after being stuck at complete since 2/2.
Ditto. Geez, Nova.

greg11a

New

Post by greg11a » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Went complete 3/9, also just went to in review on the status checker on 5/4.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

WL today after going IR yesterday, and that was after being stuck at complete since 2/2. My 3rd WL since yesterday (USC yesterday, UCLA and Villanova today).

What a crazy cycle.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Yeah that sounds rough, but 2/2 is pretty late in the cycle. Hope it all works out for you though! A LOCI saying you definitely want to go to the school will probably help getting off the WL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greg11a

New

Post by greg11a » Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm

jman77 wrote:WL today after going IR yesterday, and that was after being stuck at complete since 2/2. My 3rd WL since yesterday (USC yesterday, UCLA and Villanova today).

What a crazy cycle.
WL with a 167/3.9? I guess I have no chance at an acceptance, unless they give me points for going there as an undergrad.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 pm

This is my favorite part of the WL e-mail:

"It is a competitive year and your file has been given full consideration."

So my application went IR 5/4 and I got WL'd 5/5... full consideration indeed. Hehe.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Wed May 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Accepted today after going in review 4/30. I called after and they told me I didn't get a scholarships.163/3.43 Maybe they are out of money

NYVA311

Bronze

Post by NYVA311 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I can't imagine how anyone waiting for months and who has already committed somewhere else (because pretty much all seat deposits were due on April 15/May 1) is going to turn around and go to Villanova now, even with some scholarship money. They're hurting themselves by replying so late to people when other schools with an equal amount of applications/more have already replied to everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 pm

To those of you who are on the waitlist or haven't heard back yet, even those of you that have scores well above the median, SEND A LETTER OF CONTINUED INTEREST!

There are reasons why schools don't accept EVERYONE with scores well above their medians...they know that they will go elsewhere. They have to take people around and below the median because there is a higher likelihood that they will enroll. But obviously they will prefer people with higher scores. So what's the solution? LOCI. If you have above median scores and you're scratching your head right now, a letter expressing your deep-rooted desire to attend Villanova will brush away the uncertainty, and you have a much better chance of being accepted.

So stop reading and start writing. Write a letter and mail it. After you mail it, send an email to admissions with a copy of the letter attached, and let them know that a copy is in the mail. Time is of the essence right now, so don't waste any of it. Good luck, all.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 pm

mikeyp wrote:To those of you who are on the waitlist or haven't heard back yet, even those of you that have scores well above the median, SEND A LETTER OF CONTINUED INTEREST!

There are reasons why schools don't accept EVERYONE with scores well above their medians...they know that they will go elsewhere. They have to take people around and below the median because there is a higher likelihood that they will enroll. But obviously they will prefer people with higher scores. So what's the solution? LOCI. If you have above median scores and you're scratching your head right now, a letter expressing your deep-rooted desire to attend Villanova will brush away the uncertainty, and you have a much better chance of being accepted.

So stop reading and start writing. Write a letter and mail it. After you mail it, send an email to admissions with a copy of the letter attached, and let them know that a copy is in the mail. Time is of the essence right now, so don't waste any of it. Good luck, all.
I would have taken your advice a month ago. This late in the game, no dice. They must know that by this time, most people would already have made decisions about where they want to go or at least narrowed down their options to a few schools. I understand the concept of YP and am not scratching my head over getting WL'd. I am scratching my head a bit over how it took them 3 months to put my file in review and all of 1 day to put me on the WL.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 am

jman77 wrote:I would have taken your advice a month ago. This late in the game, no dice. They must know that by this time, most people would already have made decisions about where they want to go or at least narrowed down their options to a few schools. I understand the concept of YP and am not scratching my head over getting WL'd. I am scratching my head a bit over how it took them 3 months to put my file in review and all of 1 day to put me on the WL.
Incorrect. LOCIs are more effective now than ever. If they know, this late in the game, that you still want to attend, that is huge. But hey, if you don't want to, that's your prerogative.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 am

mikeyp wrote:
jman77 wrote:I would have taken your advice a month ago. This late in the game, no dice. They must know that by this time, most people would already have made decisions about where they want to go or at least narrowed down their options to a few schools. I understand the concept of YP and am not scratching my head over getting WL'd. I am scratching my head a bit over how it took them 3 months to put my file in review and all of 1 day to put me on the WL.
Incorrect. LOCIs are more effective now than ever. If they know, this late in the game, that you still want to attend, that is huge. But hey, if you don't want to, that's your prerogative.
I think you misunderstood my basic argument. I am not saying LOCI's are less effective now than they were before. I am saying that if I was seriously considering attending Villanova back then, I probably am no longer considering them now because in the time it took them to put my file in review and WL me, I have since gotten a lot of really great offers and have narrowed down my choices, and have put down deposits, etc. I would have written that LOCI at an earlier time; I will not right now. And I am sure several other applicants in the same situation have a similar perspective.

Hope that clarifies things.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”