Syracuse 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lupton Pittman

New

Re: Syracuse 2010

Post by Lupton Pittman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Doesn't sound binding. I mean you indicated your "intent to register", nothing more. Also, on the form it says the $500 is non-refundable in the event you don't matriculate, so it seems like they're aware of the possibility you won't.

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Birdman wrote:I did look at that, you have to be accepted to that separately though, and as its the number one program its very competitive to get into. 12 Syracuse graduates took the California bar and 3 passed according the LSAC's ABA data so the odds didn't look that good. And beyond that I think it made more sense to be able to do externships, etc. in the area I want to practice. If I had wanted to be a prosecutor in New York then I would have taken Syracuse but since I want to be a prosecutor in Southern California it didn't make much sense to go to law school in New York just to move and then probably fail the California bar. Also I got a half tuition scholly at where I'm going as opposed to a small financial aid award from Syracuse. A year ago I would have taken Syracuse. I'm glad I took a year off to research everything and know that outside of the very best law schools it makes more sense to go to law school where you want to practice. This is especially true for people who want to be ada's, pd's, etc. Also San Diego's weather beats Syracuse's any day.
As a 1L at Syracuse, I can say that it is EASY to get into Maxwell if you're a law student. I know someone who got in with a 2.7 GPA (curve is 3.0).

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

LuvTheWNBA wrote:
Birdman wrote:I did look at that, you have to be accepted to that separately though, and as its the number one program its very competitive to get into. 12 Syracuse graduates took the California bar and 3 passed according the LSAC's ABA data so the odds didn't look that good. And beyond that I think it made more sense to be able to do externships, etc. in the area I want to practice. If I had wanted to be a prosecutor in New York then I would have taken Syracuse but since I want to be a prosecutor in Southern California it didn't make much sense to go to law school in New York just to move and then probably fail the California bar. Also I got a half tuition scholly at where I'm going as opposed to a small financial aid award from Syracuse. A year ago I would have taken Syracuse. I'm glad I took a year off to research everything and know that outside of the very best law schools it makes more sense to go to law school where you want to practice. This is especially true for people who want to be ada's, pd's, etc. Also San Diego's weather beats Syracuse's any day.
As a 1L at Syracuse, I can say that it is EASY to get into Maxwell if you're a law student. I know someone who got in with a 2.7 GPA (curve is 3.0).
How easy is it to practice in California from Syracuse though? It didn't seem that likely based on what I read.

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Birdman wrote:
LuvTheWNBA wrote:
How easy is it to practice in California from Syracuse though? It didn't seem that likely based on what I read.

Well if you study hard for the cali bar, not hard. I'm planning on practicing in CA as well. The Maxwell degree in particular has serious national mobility.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 am

Got my acceptance package today, but no scholarship information....Going to be a tough call, Syracuse is likely going to be the best school I get into (only top 100 school) but is also the most expensive by quite a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 am

jjd06e wrote:Got my acceptance package today, but no scholarship information....Going to be a tough call, Syracuse is likely going to be the best school I get into (only top 100 school) but is also the most expensive by quite a bit.

Congrats!
yep 86th in the country!
have you visited the school?

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

rw2188 wrote:
jjd06e wrote:Got my acceptance package today, but no scholarship information....Going to be a tough call, Syracuse is likely going to be the best school I get into (only top 100 school) but is also the most expensive by quite a bit.

Congrats!
yep 86th in the country!
have you visited the school?
Thanks, Going to be there a week from today

JValdez

New

Post by JValdez » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:20 pm

jjd06e:

Congrats!! I applied very late in cycle and wondering if I even have a shot. May I ask what your numbers were? When did you apply and go complete?

Thanks!

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 am

hey all,
my brother goes to Newhouse undergrad and he has already told me that pretty much all the leases for apartments and housing have already been signed for fall 10--
any idea of where you are going to live? In terms of housing by the law school, that would qualify me as homeless.....

I have already looked at craigslist and it seems slightly promising, but in reality I am afraid to get an apartment in the wrong part of town/ have a crazy commute/ use my car etc etc. ideas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lupton Pittman

New

Post by Lupton Pittman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:29 pm

If you go to the admitted students part of the web site, there's a pdf of a listing for off-campus housing that they gave out during admitted student day.

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Anyone looking for a female roommate still? if yes, please contact!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”