JD/MBA 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aiden127

Re: JD/MBA 2010 applicants

Postby aiden127 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:55 am

This particular string appears to have drawn in some knowledgeable and highly qualified JD/MBA applicants. I was hoping to gain an understanding of the interplay between the two types of programs, and how one's candidacy in the MBA application affects one's chances of moving off the waitlist in the JD application.

I have been placed on the waitlist of two schools with well-known JD/MBA programs, and have identified early on my intention to pursue a JD with a concentration in corporate/securities law. I have relevant experience for a JD/MBA, but wanted to know how the JD admissions office would respond to my submission of a GMAT score that well exceeds the Business School's median.

Though some schools explicitly state that the applicant's candidacy for the JD/MBA programs is considered independently of one another, is it reasonable to assume that relevant work experience and an improved likelihood of entry into the MBA program could improve one's chances of moving off the JD waitlist?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm

i don't think they would care about the GMAT that much, but an admit to the corresponding b-school would probably be a plus for both career-placement and yield reasons. if your LOCI said something along the lines " I have been admitted to X mba program, and really want the JD/MBA. I will completely commit to your school if admitted" i think it would be a strong plus

EmVan

Postby EmVan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 am

Interesting thread. Some really good insight so far. I'm looking at doing a law/MBA program, although in Canada :D

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:22 pm

throwing my name into the mix. Will most likely apply for a jd/mba this fall.

Already took the GMAT, and taking the LSAT in June. The main weak point in my app is that I will only have 2 years of WE at matriculation... but ah well we'll see where it goes

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Bumping this because I have still been weighing the idea of getting an MBA instead of a JD. Dumb question: Are there any top b-schools that don't require WE? I have a few years of WE doing construction estimating for a general contractor, but thats it.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 pm

jms1987 wrote:Bumping this because I have still been weighing the idea of getting an MBA instead of a JD. Dumb question: Are there any top b-schools that don't require WE? I have a few years of WE doing construction estimating for a general contractor, but thats it.

Harvard makes a point of emphasizing that some of their entrants have either no or 1 year of work experience. That being said, those people probably have impressive gpa / gmats, campus stuff, etc.

U chicago also recognizes that some people have <3 yrs WE, and have a special app procedure for it.

Info on both their websites.

That's the only ones off the top of my head...

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

No business school "requires" work experience.

At virtually any top business school, however, it is a huge uphill battle to get in without at least 2 years of work experience. It can be done, but it happens rarely.

For instance take a look at Harvard's incoming class profile. 16/937 students are either fresh out of undergrad or have 1 year of work experience. The majority have four or more years. Keep in mind that Harvard is notorious for skewing young as far as business schools go. It's the same or worse at most others.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:No business school "requires" work experience.

At virtually any top business school, however, it is a huge uphill battle to get in without at least 2 years of work experience. It can be done, but it happens rarely.

For instance take a look at Harvard's incoming class profile. 16/937 students are either fresh out of undergrad or have 1 year of work experience. The majority have four or more years. Keep in mind that Harvard is notorious for skewing young as far as business schools go. It's the same or worse at most others.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html

I am certain those 16 applicants are combinations of URMs with impressive grades/scores, high donating legacies, and non-legacy but nevertheless still high-donating. For all intents and purposes, you MUST have work experience.

But to the question, if you don't know why you're getting an MBA then you really shouldn't be getting an MBA. It's not a law degree where the career path is clearly laid out. YOU have to decide what to make of your MBA, and if you don't have a clue, because you've never had a real job, then you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”