JD/MBA 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Re: JD/MBA 2010 applicants

Postby englawyer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:17 pm

i may have misread your question. if you are asking if the same cycle, you can suddenly become a jd/mba applicant, it probably depends on whether or not you submitted an mba app.

if you were independently admitted to the mba and the jd in the same year, i imagine its quite possible to enroll as a jd/mba even if you didn't specify that on your applications.

however, you cant just ask to become a jd/mba applicant if you didn't submit a mba app. most schools require two separate applications, although a few have a joint such as NYU

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:47 pm

jerjon2 wrote:Does anyone have any experience or anecdotal information about how difficult it is to get into University of Chicago's Business School if one is already a law student there? (I've been accepted there ED for fall 2010) I ask because I have very limited work experience but I would like to get into patent brokerage at some point after being involved in IP law. Because I intend to start my career in IP Biglaw, I can't imagine when I would have the chance to stop and go back to school for an MBA or if I would have time to try and do it part time.

I talked to a bunch of people (former students, current students, admissions people) about the Chicago JD/MBA because I was choosing between there and Columbia for law school (I'm now a jd/mba at Columbia - applied to the b school during my first year).

The impression I got is that it is easier to get in if you are already at the law school. That said, it's not like you can just waltz in - the bar is lower, but it's still quite high. They probably will look more charitably on your limited work experience, especially since you are writing about how you want a law career afterwards. You still will have to get a good score on the GMAT though (700+ I'm guessing), get good professional recs and write good essays.

One former jd/mba gave me an estimate that 40% or so of jd/mba applicants who are already at the law school get in. This is obviously way better than the 20% or so overall admissions rate, but it's still not a sure thing, and can probably be largely attributed to the fact that law students have high UG GPAs. That also isn't an official (or even unofficial) statistic - just one guy's estimate.

How much work experience do you have? If you have even 1 or 2 years I think it's a big help over coming straight out of undergrad.

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:52 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:Does anyone have any experience or anecdotal information about how difficult it is to get into University of Chicago's Business School if one is already a law student there? (I've been accepted there ED for fall 2010) I ask because I have very limited work experience but I would like to get into patent brokerage at some point after being involved in IP law. Because I intend to start my career in IP Biglaw, I can't imagine when I would have the chance to stop and go back to school for an MBA or if I would have time to try and do it part time.

I talked to a bunch of people (former students, current students, admissions people) about the Chicago JD/MBA because I was choosing between there and Columbia for law school (I'm now a jd/mba at Columbia - applied to the b school during my first year).

The impression I got is that it is easier to get in if you are already at the law school. That said, it's not like you can just waltz in - the bar is lower, but it's still quite high. They probably will look more charitably on your limited work experience, especially since you are writing about how you want a law career afterwards. You still will have to get a good score on the GMAT though (700+ I'm guessing), get good professional recs and write good essays.

One former jd/mba gave me an estimate that 40% or so of jd/mba applicants who are already at the law school get in. This is obviously way better than the 20% or so overall admissions rate, but it's still not a sure thing, and can probably be largely attributed to the fact that law students have high UG GPAs. That also isn't an official (or even unofficial) statistic - just one guy's estimate.

How much work experience do you have? If you have even 1 or 2 years I think it's a big help over coming straight out of undergrad.

What do you wager are the benefits of already being in HLS when applying to HBS? is part-time WE through UG useful?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:05 pm

for mba admissions, summer internships /pt during undergrad usually doesn't count. not sure about jd/mba though

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:50 pm

sayan wrote:
What do you wager are the benefits of already being in HLS when applying to HBS? is part-time WE through UG useful?

I don't really know much about HLS/HBS. I would wager you'd really face a big uphill battle coming straight out of UG, even with part time work experience.

There's a grand total of 1 student in HBS 2011 straight out of undergrad. Another 15 with one year.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html

Most of the JD/MBAs at Columbia have at least 2 years of WE, average is probably 3, and I know only one who came straight out of undergrad (so it can be done).

There are three reasons I've heard cited for why you need work experience for business school, and I'm genearlly inclined to agree:

-You won't be able to contribute to classes if you don't have work experience (a lot of it is simulation and group based, not book learning, and is dependent on applying skills you learned at work - modeling, presentations, finance, etc)

-Business employers are very reluctant to hire MBAs with little or no work experience

-You won't really have a good idea of what you want to do after business school without work experience, so you'll get less out of the experience

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

Sorry I took so long to reply, I am straight out of undergrad. I worked throughout school. I went to school for electrical engineering and I've worked in several research labs my entire undergraduate experience. The closest thing I have to any leadership is leading an undergraduate bioengineering research team for 2 years (Not that I think that would have much weight). Thanks for your reply.

I've also been reconsidering applying at all. I think it would be better to just go to law school and see if an MBA would be beneficial later in life. However, I am interested to know what joint degree tuition is like if anyone has any insight.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 am

Tuition is basically normal, except you pay 8 semesters instead of 6.

At Columbia, you pay 5 semesters of law school tuition, and 3 of business school tuition (about $2000 more).

I know some of the accelerated programs (i.e. Northwestern) cost more per semester, but then again you're there for fewer semesters.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:Tuition is basically normal, except you pay 8 semesters instead of 6.

At Columbia, you pay 5 semesters of law school tuition, and 3 of business school tuition (about $2000 more).

I know some of the accelerated programs (i.e. Northwestern) cost more per semester, but then again you're there for fewer semesters.

Thanks a lot, I had been wondering that but the only school I could find anything definitive on was Georgetown. (Their info was basically what you were telling me but I didn't want to take one example as necessarily representing the norm)

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 pm

bumping this for a few reasons:

1) how's it going for everyone who got their shit together in time to apply to both degrees in the same cycle?

2) got accepted to Penn Law a couple weeks ago (pretty sure this will be the best law school I get in to). Looks like there are some rumors on here that Wharton is getting sick of law students back-dooring their way in. How would they look at a Penn Law student with 2 years WE as a paralegal, leadership credentials in college, and a 750 GMAT?

3) I posted this elsewhere, but this is probably a better place: Right now I'll probably apply to Wharton during my 1L year. How would getting the 3 year jd/mba affect recruitment for me? I would be taking classes summer after 1L year (assuming I'm going to be doing the 3-year program), not doing anything legal. And, I won't have the consulting/banking experience, so my impression is that I won't be looked upon too favorably during Wharton recruiting. Does anyone know specific law firms that really like jd/mbas? I would be planning on going in to law first, then possibly networking into banking, consulting, etc. (I have a bunch of friends in nyc in banking/consulting, so I think I could make that work if I wanted to... plus contacts from Wharton if I get in).

I was thinking about the jd/mba before, which is why I took the GMAT. I decided not to apply for it because I couldn't write a convincing story for why I wanted it (and I had a really good one for Law). Now I'm just trying to figure out if it is feasible for me to do it... I'd appreciate any information. Good luck!

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 pm

ughOSU wrote:2) got accepted to Penn Law a couple weeks ago (pretty sure this will be the best law school I get in to). Looks like there are some rumors on here that Wharton is getting sick of law students back-dooring their way in. How would they look at a Penn Law student with 2 years WE as a paralegal, leadership credentials in college, and a 750 GMAT?

3) I posted this elsewhere, but this is probably a better place: Right now I'll probably apply to Wharton during my 1L year. How would getting the 3 year jd/mba affect recruitment for me? I would be taking classes summer after 1L year (assuming I'm going to be doing the 3-year program), not doing anything legal. And, I won't have the consulting/banking experience, so my impression is that I won't be looked upon too favorably during Wharton recruiting. Does anyone know specific law firms that really like jd/mbas? I would be planning on going in to law first, then possibly networking into banking, consulting, etc. (I have a bunch of friends in nyc in banking/consulting, so I think I could make that work if I wanted to... plus contacts from Wharton if I get in).

2: Wharton does resent people trying to backdoor through the JD (I was told as much by the admissions office), but not if they're qualified. Two years as a paralegal is not disqualifying in and of itself, but you'll have to tell a compelling story about "why the JD/MBA," and why your career goals are realistic given your background. I think it would be a bad idea, for instance, to say you wanted to go into banking straight out of school. Then it will really look like you're backdooring in, plus you'll face an uphill battle convincing recruiters to hire you without business experience (paralegal generally doesn't count for these purposes). If, on the other hand, you say you want to be a transactional lawyer and want the MBA to enhance your practice, it's much more realistic, and it makes pre-JD/MBA business work experience less important.

3: First of all, make sure you can apply for the 3-year JD/MBA during your first year - I know Northwestern doesn't allow this.

I imagine it wouldn't have a big impact on law school recruiting, but will have a big impact on b-school recruiting. Given your lack of business experience, having an internship (or two) is even more important. That said, it's a pretty big advantage to finish in 3 years instead of 4.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:08 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:2: Wharton does resent people trying to backdoor through the JD (I was told as much by the admissions office), but not if they're qualified. Two years as a paralegal is not disqualifying in and of itself, but you'll have to tell a compelling story about "why the JD/MBA," and why your career goals are realistic given your background. I think it would be a bad idea, for instance, to say you wanted to go into banking straight out of school. Then it will really look like you're backdooring in, plus you'll face an uphill battle convincing recruiters to hire you without business experience (paralegal generally doesn't count for these purposes). If, on the other hand, you say you want to be a transactional lawyer and want the MBA to enhance your practice, it's much more realistic, and it makes pre-JD/MBA business work experience less important.

3: First of all, make sure you can apply for the 3-year JD/MBA during your first year - I know Northwestern doesn't allow this.

I imagine it wouldn't have a big impact on law school recruiting, but will have a big impact on b-school recruiting. Given your lack of business experience, having an internship (or two) is even more important. That said, it's a pretty big advantage to finish in 3 years instead of 4.

Yea I was surprised too but you can do the jd/mba in 3 years applying during 1L. I'm still not convinced this would be the best plan for me. My reasoning is this: I need a legal job before I'd be able to go into finance. I really shouldn't do anything that will decrease my odds of getting a legal job ITE. Some claim that jd/mba's are frowned upon in legal recruiting (not sure if I buy that), and I wouldn't be able to do something legal during 1L summer, possibly another disadvantage. Wharton also offers a certificate for law students, and I'm kind of thinking that may be what I'll end up doing. It seems to have some of the benefits and none of the liabilities, for me at least.

Also, jd/mba in 3 years seems like a shitload of work.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Not sure if anyone would have a knowledgeable answer to this or not, but- I applied this cycle to several JD/MBA programs, and several schools for just law school (b-school apps are expensive and don't hand out fee-waivers the way law schools do). I have had varying success thus far, including acceptance to JD/MBA programs, though I'm still waiting for responses from most of my schools.

Anyway, here's my question. I was recently dinged from the b-school side of a program that I submitted both JD and MBA apps. I have yet to hear from the law school. I would still be interested in attending the law school (and re-applying to the b-school as a 1L or scrapping the MBA entirely) if accepted, but am concerned that my rejection from the b-school may have a negative influence on my chances. I know schools make separate decisions regarding the JD and MBA, but my concern is that when (if) the two programs communicate, and the law school is informed that I haven't been accepted to the business program, they might ding me as well given that I checked the JD/MBA box and am out of the running MBA-wise.

Does this seem like a valid concern? Would it be smart to send an e-mail to the law school admissions expressing my continued interest in the JD program despite my MBA rejection? The law school is one of my top choices, so I'd like to do whatever possible to reaffirm my interest in spite of the MBA setback.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jake

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:44 am

jakeoooh wrote:Not sure if anyone would have a knowledgeable answer to this or not, but- I applied this cycle to several JD/MBA programs, and several schools for just law school (b-school apps are expensive and don't hand out fee-waivers the way law schools do). I have had varying success thus far, including acceptance to JD/MBA programs, though I'm still waiting for responses from most of my schools.

Anyway, here's my question. I was recently dinged from the b-school side of a program that I submitted both JD and MBA apps. I have yet to hear from the law school. I would still be interested in attending the law school (and re-applying to the b-school as a 1L or scrapping the MBA entirely) if accepted, but am concerned that my rejection from the b-school may have a negative influence on my chances. I know schools make separate decisions regarding the JD and MBA, but my concern is that when (if) the two programs communicate, and the law school is informed that I haven't been accepted to the business program, they might ding me as well given that I checked the JD/MBA box and am out of the running MBA-wise.

Does this seem like a valid concern? Would it be smart to send an e-mail to the law school admissions expressing my continued interest in the JD program despite my MBA rejection? The law school is one of my top choices, so I'd like to do whatever possible to reaffirm my interest in spite of the MBA setback.

Jake

Bumping this because I woke up from my sleep, worrying about this!

I have applied to top jd/mba programs and I am afraid that rejection to one program will have a negative impact on decision making of the other program. Any insight would be appreciated!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 am

pulandasu wrote:
jakeoooh wrote:Not sure if anyone would have a knowledgeable answer to this or not, but- I applied this cycle to several JD/MBA programs, and several schools for just law school (b-school apps are expensive and don't hand out fee-waivers the way law schools do). I have had varying success thus far, including acceptance to JD/MBA programs, though I'm still waiting for responses from most of my schools.

Jake

I have applied to top jd/mba programs and I am afraid that rejection to one program will have a negative impact on decision making of the other program. Any insight would be appreciated!

the problem is that there is such a small group of applicants to jd/mba programs that no one will be able to speak with authority on the matter.

I do think they are truly independent though, as I talked to one MBA program to ask if they knew I was admitted to the JD, and they didn't know. If there was any kind of communication/working together going on, I would imagine that they would at least discuss acceptance into one of the programs.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:17 am

englawyer wrote:
pulandasu wrote:

Jake

the problem is that there is such a small group of applicants to jd/mba programs that no one will be able to speak with authority on the matter.

I do think they are truly independent though, as I talked to one MBA program to ask if they knew I was admitted to the JD, and they didn't know. If there was any kind of communication/working together going on, I would imagine that they would at least discuss acceptance into one of the programs.

Just a suggestion:
Don't you think last couple of threads are more relevant to Law School Admissions forum? I feel like there will be more people who would read and throw in some insights.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 am

I too have been wrestling with this decision. Currently my plan is to go the JD route (as a have a Business undergrad) and see if that allows me to potentially make my way back into the business side.

I have heard that generally speaking the JD/MBA is so student-driven that recruiters for corporations and industry would just like their LAWYER to have some business sense. . .not an MBA as his/her knowledge may be too business focused making the reason they hired them. . . legal expertise. . . to be left on the wayside.

I can't make up my mind. I have decided that during 1L I should get a feel for what will be my next step.

rmend

Postby rmend » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm

I know this might not be the place to ask this, but this seems to be a well informed group. If you're looking to get some work experience before an MBA or JD/MBA, are certain jobs more respected for those 2 yrs of WE before entering an MBA program like consulting and finance or is any full time job enough? For example, would working as one of the first 10-15 employees at a start up garner you any more or any less respect for admissions than consulting, etc?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:35 pm

certain jobs (banking and consulting, as you mentioned) have a major advantage and are more respected.

meaningful startup work is pretty good though; i would rank it above a "normal" job in a corporation.

has the company received venture-capital funding from a well known firm? stuff like that would go a long way to proving the credibility of the venture in the eyes of the adcomm. it would also depend on the role you would take and your success in generating results.

rmend

Postby rmend » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 pm

There won't be venture capital. It's not a tech start up and i think its well financed otherwise, and sales are already seven figures. I would basically be in charge of all of marketing (internet, print, advertising, etc) in addition to the usual start up tasks of sales and so on. Would work experience like this be enough to get into a top 10 jd/mba program with a very high GPA or are spots at the upper echelon of schools reserved for bain consultants and ibanking?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 pm

rmend wrote:There won't be venture capital. It's not a tech start up and i think its well financed otherwise, and sales are already seven figures. I would basically be in charge of all of marketing (internet, print, advertising, etc) in addition to the usual start up tasks of sales and so on. Would work experience like this be enough to get into a top 10 jd/mba program with a very high GPA or are spots at the upper echelon of schools reserved for bain consultants and ibanking?

2/3 of the spots are "reserved" for banking and consulting (1/3 each respectively). if they wanted to, those schools could easily fill the class with either bankers or consultants, because MBA is an integral part of the culture in those fields.

the other 1/3 are for tech, marketing, general industry, non-profit, military, etc. The competition can be fierce. you should get the book "how to get into the top mba programs" to get a better feel for the criteria.

your potential work experience sounds impressive though, so i think you would certainly have a chance. the startup sounds pretty legitimate so there is probably a ton of potential for growth. if you really want to bolster your chances, you can also get involved in volunteering. schools apparently have a soft-spot for a good leadership essay about how you made an impact in the community.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm in this cycle now. Hoping for Vandy.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the Harvard JD/MBA?

This is from the website:
Q: Will my interest in the joint program be considered by each admissions office?

You should express your interest in enrolling in the JD/MBA program when you complete either application. Admissions officers at both schools will take this information into account when making their admissions decisions.

Does that mean it's slightly easier to get in? Or that they are looking for a different type of applicant?

I'm curious because by the "numbers", I have an average GMAT and above average GPA for the bschool; for the law school I have a slightly lower than average GPA and have yet to take the LSAT.

I'm hoping the bschool won't frown on my 2 years of work experience, since it's management consulting at a decent firm...

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 pm

hellojd wrote:Does that mean it's slightly easier to get in? Or that they are looking for a different type of applicant?

I think the latter. The general consensus (though I don't know this for a fact firsthand) is that HBS and HLS are so good and get such high quality applicants to the joint program that they don't need to lower their standards at all.

As for 2 years work experience, I think that puts you in the running. More is obviously always better, but 1) 2 years is legitimate enough to bring some perspective, and 2) I think they understand that since it's a 4-year program most applicants are anxious to get started ASAP.

Good luck with the LSAT and your application.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:22 pm

hellojd wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the Harvard JD/MBA?

This is from the website:
Q: Will my interest in the joint program be considered by each admissions office?

You should express your interest in enrolling in the JD/MBA program when you complete either application. Admissions officers at both schools will take this information into account when making their admissions decisions.

Does that mean it's slightly easier to get in? Or that they are looking for a different type of applicant?

I'm curious because by the "numbers", I have an average GMAT and above average GPA for the bschool; for the law school I have a slightly lower than average GPA and have yet to take the LSAT.

I'm hoping the bschool won't frown on my 2 years of work experience, since it's management consulting at a decent firm...

A guy on here was accepted with similar "stats" (above average for HBS and below average for HLS). He didn't have meaningful work experience either. I wish I could be so lucky.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
hellojd wrote:Does that mean it's slightly easier to get in? Or that they are looking for a different type of applicant?

I think the latter. The general consensus (though I don't know this for a fact firsthand) is that HBS and HLS are so good and get such high quality applicants to the joint program that they don't need to lower their standards at all.

As for 2 years work experience, I think that puts you in the running. More is obviously always better, but 1) 2 years is legitimate enough to bring some perspective, and 2) I think they understand that since it's a 4-year program most applicants are anxious to get started ASAP.

Good luck with the LSAT and your application.

Thanks for the input bass. hopefully you're right about the we... i don't want to graduate when i'm 30 after all haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”