In at Baylor!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shawty18ga

Re: In at Baylor!

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:21 am

Quick question, maybe a stupid one, but hopefully somebody can answer. Do law students have to go to chapel? Also, can you get kicked out of the law school or have a scholarship rescinded from drinking and/or having sex?

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:34 am

billyez wrote:Good thing I'm a Baptist. :wink:

What happened to that student was wrong and Baylor's administrative officials should be ashamed of themselves. If I was attending there, I would say how wrong it is. But this is a private institution in a small Texas town. Besides, Waco has never been...the most progressive of cities. Look up the Waco Horror and photos of Jesse Washington sometime.

You know what though...as I wrote that paragraph I began to understand Luis Gomez's point. You have to choose a law school that's comfortable for you. I would say I'm fine going up to Cornell or some liberal institution up north, but deep inside I would still have reservations. I just see that as an opportunity to get out of a comfort zone, though. That being said, while I wouldn't have a problem with someone challenging my beliefs I'd be quite vexed if someone did waht Baylor did in this case.

Exactly, I never stated that Baylor isn't worth attending (I did send an application) or that others will not enjoy and make the most out of this school. On the contrary as my previous post said, I hope someone else here will be thrilled to have my spot.

I didn't apply to very liberal schools either, but believe I would be more comfortable for the next three years on another school.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 am

baylor's full tuition for all 3 years is $110,250. it's an expensive school but it's a great regional school in Texas. problem is, if youre looking for big law jobs you are better suited trying to get into UT (which dominates the Texas market) or even UH (for the Houston area) / SMU (for the Dallas area).

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:31 am

catharsis wrote:baylor's full tuition for all 3 years is $110,250. it's an expensive school but it's a great regional school in Texas. problem is, if youre looking for big law jobs you are better suited trying to get into UT (which dominates the Texas market) or even UH (for the Houston area) / SMU (for the Dallas area).

Lots of assumptions in the bolded part, but this might be the truest post on this entire thread. Biglaw tuition costs without biglaw job prospects. Just be absolutely sure you know this before matriculating. This is possibly the source of many of the current students' unhappiness.

Like most things in life, do your research and you'll be fine.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 am

catharsis wrote:baylor's full tuition for all 3 years is $110,250. it's an expensive school but it's a great regional school in Texas. problem is, if youre looking for big law jobs you are better suited trying to get into UT (which dominates the Texas market) or even UH (for the Houston area) / SMU (for the Dallas area).

+1

So true. You really don't see a lot of Baylor students in biglaw here in Texas. My boyfriend is an attorney in Dallas, and I feel like EVERYONE graduated from SMU, though there are plenty from UT. Baylor is definitely good if you want to be a litigator, and don't mind not having the biglaw salary. I do know several attorneys in the surrounding area that went to Baylor and are doing fairly well in private practice.

I, personally, really disliked Baylor when I visited. The students who were assigned to basically "sell" the school to us sounded downright miserable (but I'm definitely not basing my overall impression of the school on the opinions of a handful of students). The campus is beautiful, FWIW, and I do still believe it provides a good legal education.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:50 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Quick question, maybe a stupid one, but hopefully somebody can answer. Do law students have to go to chapel? Also, can you get kicked out of the law school or have a scholarship rescinded from drinking and/or having sex?

Underage drinking? Possibly. But no, you won't be kicked out of the school for sex or legal drinking. I have spent a lot of time in and around the university...it has a surprising amount of party kids.

As for chapel...no, I haven't heard anything along those lines. I was even told explicitly that the law school is a little less religiously focused than the undergraduate students. It's still a college, despite the religious and conservative leanings, and you'll find a lot of what you'll find at every college.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:54 pm

The law school /=/ the undergraduate institution. If anything, the law school should separate itself from the undergraduate institution like the medical school did in the 50s.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:44 pm

This is good to know. I like my full scholarship and the low cost of living in Waco, but I am not going to behave like I had to my first two years of ug at a small Christian school.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:17 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Quick question, maybe a stupid one, but hopefully somebody can answer. Do law students have to go to chapel? Also, can you get kicked out of the law school or have a scholarship rescinded from drinking and/or having sex?

From my understanding, you won't have time for these things.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:50 pm

I like to study with a beer. As far as the other, well my girlfriend might come visit now and then, so maybe I can fit it in (pun intended) during study breaks.

ExcitedBlutterance

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:41 am

In at Baylor!! Just found out via status checker.. :shock: :D

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:47 am

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:In at Baylor!! Just found out via status checker.. :shock: :D

+1

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 am

shawty18ga wrote:I like to study with a beer. As far as the other, well my girlfriend might come visit now and then, so maybe I can fit it in (pun intended) during study breaks.

Ahahahaha....please go to Baylor.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

Patrick, you always show up on every Baylor thread, repeating all kinds of negative stuff about the school. What's your beef?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Patrick, you always show up on every Baylor thread, repeating all kinds of negative stuff about the school. What's your beef?

PM'ed.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm interested as well.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Bustang wrote:I'm interested as well.

+1
Please forward, Patrick!

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 pm

Sorry, Patrick. I didn't mean to start a trend here.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 am

shawty18ga wrote:Sorry, Patrick. I didn't mean to start a trend here.

Haha, figured this might happen...alright with you if I copy and paste?

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 am

Any thoughts on how Baylor might view a 173/2.35 (reasonably solid GPA addendum)?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:24 am

Ty Webb wrote:Any thoughts on how Baylor might view a 173/2.35 (reasonably solid GPA addendum)?

Through $$$-colored glasses.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Copying and pasting would be fine.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:33 pm

I snuck into the law school library last night to do some studying for my last final. I observed some of the students discretely from a distance. One girl said she had cried 9 times that day already, two of the guys (albeit upperclassmen) next to her consoled her and told her it would be fine. She explained to them that she had a memo to work on with 3 issues and had to be 8 pages maximum. Both of the guys gave her links via e-mail and wrote down on paper exactly how to complete the assignment properly and with ease. All of them talked for 15 minutes afterwards about life/drinking etc. The F word was used quite often. After that I listened to two guys on law review who were both cussing atrociously about finding cases or something about.. something. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with law lingo yet. Overall, the atmosphere was extremely friendly but full of tiredness/fear due to the classes they were all working through.

My impression: TLS has given a undeserved bad rap towards Baylor Law School. This was only three-five people, but my talks with others+this impression compounds my conclusion. Now as far as the classes being tough, that's all true.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

The PM
a) It's an easy target.
b) They're really deceptive about their recruiting processes. Attend an accepted students day or prospective students day. They really talk it up (biglaw, judicial clerkships, sky's-the-limit kind of stuff). Everyone one I know personally who actually attends (including a long-term SO) tells a completely different story. They intentionally front their top students at these things as representative of the median and then feed them lines about how Baylor is the perfect place to be.
c) The environment of the school itself can be terrible. The administration fosters an atmosphere of competition, which just adds to the already intense atmosphere of any law school.
d) It's in Waco.
e) I feel like people should know what they're getting into, especially on a message board that caters to biglaw. Biglaw rarely happens from Baylor, midlaw jobs (the staple of Baylor's private hiring) are disappearing quickly and state agencies (DAs offices, OAG, etc.) are all on hiring freezes. Baylor does nothing to put out a realistic picture of their hiring prospects: which now by in large consist of hanging out a shingle or joining a small-town firm. This is fine, but hardly representative the Biglaw Baylor tuition and image they put out.
f) I wasn't laughing at you going to Baylor, I was just laughing at your 'fit it in' joke. Jokes like that are actually looked down upon at Baylor, to give you an idea of the somewhat conservative atmosphere.

In short, no beef with Baylor, as long as you are absolutely sure you know what you're getting yourself into: huge tuition prices, incredibly tough curriculum (PC third year is soul-crushing), little-to-no biglaw prospects (again, not necessarily a bad thing as long as you know) and a conservative administration/atmosphere. No, there's no chapel, yes people can drink, but it's more subtle than that.

As this is a message board, please feel free to discuss/disagree/agree/whatever.

Bustang wrote: My impression: TLS has given a undeserved bad rap towards Baylor Law School. This was only three-five people, but my talks with others+this impression compounds my conclusion. Now as far as the classes being tough, that's all true.

This may be true, but the bad rap I think comes from the same line of thinking that most people have on this board: biglaw or bust. In the end, picking a law school is a very personal preference with dozens of factors weighing in. Most people on this board are not looking for Baylor. It's just the ZOMG!BaylorCanGetMeBiglawInTexasBecauseIt'sRanked55!!! that irks me. Both my parents went to Baylor, many of my friends go there or recently graduated; I know where these people end up. It's not biglaw.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

patrickd139 wrote:The PM
a) It's an easy target.
b) They're really deceptive about their recruiting processes. Attend an accepted students day or prospective students day. They really talk it up (biglaw, judicial clerkships, sky's-the-limit kind of stuff). Everyone one I know personally who actually attends (including a long-term SO) tells a completely different story. They intentionally front their top students at these things as representative of the median and then feed them lines about how Baylor is the perfect place to be.
c) The environment of the school itself can be terrible. The administration fosters an atmosphere of competition, which just adds to the already intense atmosphere of any law school.
d) It's in Waco.
e) I feel like people should know what they're getting into, especially on a message board that caters to biglaw. Biglaw rarely happens from Baylor, midlaw jobs (the staple of Baylor's private hiring) are disappearing quickly and state agencies (DAs offices, OAG, etc.) are all on hiring freezes. Baylor does nothing to put out a realistic picture of their hiring prospects: which now by in large consist of hanging out a shingle or joining a small-town firm. This is fine, but hardly representative the Biglaw Baylor tuition and image they put out.
f) I wasn't laughing at you going to Baylor, I was just laughing at your 'fit it in' joke. Jokes like that are actually looked down upon at Baylor, to give you an idea of the somewhat conservative atmosphere.

In short, no beef with Baylor, as long as you are absolutely sure you know what you're getting yourself into: huge tuition prices, incredibly tough curriculum (PC third year is soul-crushing), little-to-no biglaw prospects (again, not necessarily a bad thing as long as you know) and a conservative administration/atmosphere. No, there's no chapel, yes people can drink, but it's more subtle than that.

As this is a message board, please feel free to discuss/disagree/agree/whatever.

Bustang wrote: My impression: TLS has given a undeserved bad rap towards Baylor Law School. This was only three-five people, but my talks with others+this impression compounds my conclusion. Now as far as the classes being tough, that's all true.

This may be true, but the bad rap I think comes from the same line of thinking that most people have on this board: biglaw or bust. In the end, picking a law school is a very personal preference with dozens of factors weighing in. Most people on this board are not looking for Baylor. It's just the ZOMG!BaylorCanGetMeBiglawInTexasBecauseIt'sRanked55!!! that irks me. Both my parents went to Baylor, many of my friends go there or recently graduated; I know where these people end up. It's not biglaw.

+55

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”