In at Baylor!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nikiya

Re: In at Baylor!

Postby Nikiya » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm

I just found out I was accepted today via status checker. Wow, that barely took over a week! Hopefully my letter comes soon. I'm anxious to find out about potential scholarship offers.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:46 pm

In at baylor today as well

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Nikiya wrote:I just found out I was accepted today via status checker. Wow, that barely took over a week! Hopefully my letter comes soon. I'm anxious to find out about potential scholarship offers.

good chance you'll get full tuition! :) congrats! :mrgreen:

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Hmmm....I sent them a completed application over a month ago. My numbers are solid enough that I thought I would have heard back from them soon (on top of that I had great in-person conversations with the administration). Anyone else still waiting after an early November app?

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm

ec2xs wrote:Hmmm....I sent them a completed application over a month ago. My numbers are solid enough that I thought I would have heard back from them soon (on top of that I had great in-person conversations with the administration). Anyone else still waiting after an early November app?

Did you get a letter in the mail with a fee waiver and an offer to apply as a part of the "Preferred Applicant Program?" Mine said something along the lines of reviewing my application before others received.

I still can't figure out if this is standard or not.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 pm

ec2xs wrote:Hmmm....I sent them a completed application over a month ago. My numbers are solid enough that I thought I would have heard back from them soon (on top of that I had great in-person conversations with the administration). Anyone else still waiting after an early November app?

You should contact them. It seems they have a really quick turnaround with high numbers.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Im in via status checker 163 / 3.58

Baylor's website says tuition per quater is 13,000+??? Is this right? So it cost 52,000 for tuition?!

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Im in via status checker 163 / 3.58

Baylor's website says tuition per quater is 13,000+??? Is this right? So it cost 52,000 for tuition?!

I don't think that's the case. My scholly offer was $58+ and that was HALF of three years tuition.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:05 pm

utcris410 wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:Im in via status checker 163 / 3.58

I don't think that's the case. My scholly offer was $58+ and that was HALF of three years tuition.

38 and change for tuition per year.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:08 pm

utcris410 wrote:

You should contact them. It seems they have a really quick turnaround with high numbers.

167/3.2? And no, not a "Preferred Applicant". But I did have coffee with an admissions rep. and talked to them extensively at the UT law fair. I thought I meant something to you, Baylor! I thought we had something! *sniffle*

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm

ec2xs wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

167/3.2? And no, not a "Preferred Applicant". But I did have coffee with an admissions rep. and talked to them extensively at the UT law fair. I thought I meant something to you, Baylor! I thought we had something! *sniffle*

don't take it too hard. it looks like they are still mostly accepting high gpas. they'll get to us splitters in good time.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:17 pm

twert wrote:
ec2xs wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

don't take it too hard. it looks like they are still mostly accepting high gpas. they'll get to us splitters in good time.

Hmm...my gpa is 3.29. I had a decision within 2 weeks. :?:

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 pm

that pretty interesting, because you don't have a very high lsat. i've been complete for two months now with a 3.1 and a 166. from LSN it looks like the only low gpa splitters were complete before me. maybe they don't like something about me. maybe you are just a rockstar and they really like your app.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:25 pm

twert wrote:that pretty interesting, because you don't have a very high lsat. i've been complete for two months now with a 3.1 and a 166. from LSN it looks like the only low gpa splitters were complete before me. maybe they don't like something about me. maybe you are just a rockstar and they really like your app.

that is weird. im a urm. maybe make sure you're complete and/or ask them if your app is under review?

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey, thought I would throw my hat in this one as well. Baylor was my first acceptance and you can't beat the feeling to see that scholarship tag along with it.

I had the opportunity to drive up to Waco and sit in on a class with some 1L's (I live in Austin) and I can honestly say its pretty nice. The facilities are incredible, the professors are personable and fun, and the students don't live up to the "highly competitive" reputation they are given.

Simply put, about 2 weeks before I went up (I attended the weekend of the UT/Baylor football game) I had 1L's telling me how much they hated it (this was right before their first quarter exams.) When I actually went, those same students told me it wasn't really that bad and they were just stressed. I had one guy comment "I was too rough with them. I am honestly happy I am here."

That is a recommendation that I believe.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Hey, thought I would throw my hat in this one as well. Baylor was my first acceptance and you can't beat the feeling to see that scholarship tag along with it.

I had the opportunity to drive up to Waco and sit in on a class with some 1L's (I live in Austin) and I can honestly say its pretty nice. The facilities are incredible, the professors are personable and fun, and the students don't live up to the "highly competitive" reputation they are given.

Simply put, about 2 weeks before I went up (I attended the weekend of the UT/Baylor football game) I had 1L's telling me how much they hated it (this was right before their first quarter exams.) When I actually went, those same students told me it wasn't really that bad and they were just stressed. I had one guy comment "I was too rough with them. I am honestly happy I am here."

That is a recommendation that I believe.

Basically everything I've heard +100. I haven't visited yet, but I've sat down and talked to two students (2l and 3L) and essentially if you're willing to do the grunt work then Baylor can provide you a great education.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 pm

ec2xs wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

You can have my spot, I also got a partial scholrship, but I have issues with the conservativeness of the school. Guess I will find another school which better suits me.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 pm

"Conservatiness"? I've gone to Baylor twice for Mock Trial and it doesn't seem any more conservative than other parts of Texas. I'm quite interested in what you mean...

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:53 pm

billyez wrote:"Conservatiness"? I've gone to Baylor twice for Mock Trial and it doesn't seem any more conservative than other parts of Texas. I'm quite interested in what you mean...

Oooo...good one. Not the law school, but indicative of the administration as a whole.

--LinkRemoved--

Bass said the seminary's administration -- and that of the larger Baylor campus -- does not allow true academic freedom on the topic. "This environment fears talking about these issues. When you debate these issues, which I've done, they hold it against you," he said. He cited an incident from two years ago in Baylor's undergraduate social-work school, where an openly gay student was not allowed to speak to a class.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm

billyez wrote:"Conservatiness"? I've gone to Baylor twice for Mock Trial and it doesn't seem any more conservative than other parts of Texas. I'm quite interested in what you mean...

If by "other parts of Texas" you mean Lubbock, Abilene, and some ranch towns out west. Baylor is a very conservative school with a Baptist foundation.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Good thing I'm a Baptist. :wink:

What happened to that student was wrong and Baylor's administrative officials should be ashamed of themselves. If I was attending there, I would say how wrong it is. But this is a private institution in a small Texas town. Besides, Waco has never been...the most progressive of cities. Look up the Waco Horror and photos of Jesse Washington sometime.

You know what though...as I wrote that paragraph I began to understand Luis Gomez's point. You have to choose a law school that's comfortable for you. I would say I'm fine going up to Cornell or some liberal institution up north, but deep inside I would still have reservations. I just see that as an opportunity to get out of a comfort zone, though. That being said, while I wouldn't have a problem with someone challenging my beliefs I'd be quite vexed if someone did waht Baylor did in this case.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 pm

billyez wrote:Good thing I'm a Baptist. :wink:

What happened to that student was wrong and Baylor's administrative officials should be ashamed of themselves. If I was attending there, I would say how wrong it is. But this is a private institution in a small Texas town. Besides, Waco has never been...the most progressive of cities. Look up the Waco Horror and photos of Jesse Washington sometime.

You know what though...as I wrote that paragraph I began to understand Luis Gomez's point. You have to choose a law school that's comfortable for you. I would say I'm fine going up to Cornell or some liberal institution up north, but deep inside I would still have reservations. I just see that as an opportunity to get out of a comfort zone, though. That being said, while I wouldn't have a problem with someone challenging my beliefs I'd be quite vexed if someone did waht Baylor did in this case.

If you agree on this point, why did you seem taken aback at Baylor's "conservativeness"? It seems that you're answering the same question you posed to Luis.

Otherwise, well said.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:28 am

Because while I knew it was conservative, I was taken aback by the fact that it was so conservative that it was a turn-off for some people. But as I said in the post, I kind of realized why as I was typing up my response.

brewinbruin

Postby brewinbruin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:28 am

just got in!!!

when do admitted students get scholarship offers?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:18 am

My scholarship offer was written into the acceptance letter, which came a few days after the status checker changed to admit. Hope that helps.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”