Loyola Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lewis louis

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lewis louis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:52 pm

The empirical evidence I have is the admissions officer saying that the class was full....? Either way, i'm not trying to send you into some tailspin or say you won't get into Loyola (if your even waiting on them). If you are, good luck! If not, still good luck! I was just trying to explain a trend I noticed, especially since all the emails had an air of shock to them on the law schools part.

eatlocal

Postby eatlocal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Did any of u receive an email with the address to the new financial aid bld?

lewis louis

Postby lewis louis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Yes. Why?

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Yep, think everybody on the waitlist got it.

lewis louis

Postby lewis louis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 am

No, absolutely everyone got it im assuming. I got accepted back in January and I got the e-mail.

rockababy123

Postby rockababy123 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 am

lewis louis wrote:No, absolutely everyone got it im assuming. I got accepted back in January and I got the e-mail.

I think that's what they meant. Meaning, that everyone who could possibly or is already accepted received the email because they might need the information. The email isn't an indication that an acceptance is forthcoming.

lewis louis

Postby lewis louis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 am

I mean, what you said IS the case but where did you get that deduction from? the above poster straight up said "I think everyone on the WAITLIST got this". Heh, either way it means nothing.

rockababy123

Postby rockababy123 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:38 pm

I read between the lines....since everyone who is already accepted wouldn't find it strange receiving such an email.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm

I think bottom line is...it means absolutely nothng, just an update of contact info.

musshockey15

Postby musshockey15 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 pm

anybody heard anything at all?

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:49 pm

I still have not heard anything, but I am hoping I will this week. It has been almost three weeks since the seat deposit deadline passed.

musshockey15

Postby musshockey15 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:17 pm

anyone get contacted personally? anyone know if they will/have deferred candidates to the next year?

jrose

Postby jrose » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

admitted today off of the list... called and e-mailed by admissions.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Officially going to Loyola Chicago. Had a deposit down at Chicago Kent but switched after Loyola increased their scholarship offer.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Bucky83 wrote:Officially going to Loyola Chicago. Had a deposit down at Chicago Kent but switched after Loyola increased their scholarship offer.

I did the exact same! What was it that you liked more about Loyola over Chi-Kent?

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Bucky83 wrote:Officially going to Loyola Chicago. Had a deposit down at Chicago Kent but switched after Loyola increased their scholarship offer.

I did the exact same! What was it that you liked more about Loyola over Chi-Kent?

-The huge scholarship offer was the biggest thing
-The school and staff are much more helpful/responsive at Loyola
-Location is nicer

You?

Rosebud523

Postby Rosebud523 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 am

So I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that I was admitted off of the waitlist. I should be ecstatic, but there is always a twist, and I was admitted into the Part time evening program. This was something I told them I would possibly consider if all else failed and there wasn't a spot full time at the end of the summer.

My parents are really against me going part time, which erased any feelings of excitement on being admitted. I am also worried that I hurt myself by saying I would consider part time. I guess I thought everyone on the waitlist did this to show their dedication to the school.

What do you guys think I should do?!
1. talk to them and see if I can stay on the waitlist and hope for a full time spot to open up since I am clearly a top contender
2. go part time and transfer after a year ( my dad basically told me he won't allow this, which confuses me and screws with my head more
or
3. Cut my losses and move on.

I am currently enrolled at John Marshall with $16,000 a year and really do not want to go there. I don't have an option to defer a year, so that is where I'll be going if all else fails. Loyola has been my first choice for two years and I have sent numerous letters telling them this and just feel so stressed and confused. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Talking to parents and friends who don't truly understand only makes it worse.

Amanda

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:04 am

Rosebud523 wrote:So I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that I was admitted off of the waitlist. I should be ecstatic, but there is always a twist, and I was admitted into the Part time evening program. This was something I told them I would possibly consider if all else failed and there wasn't a spot full time at the end of the summer.

My parents are really against me going part time, which erased any feelings of excitement on being admitted. I am also worried that I hurt myself by saying I would consider part time. I guess I thought everyone on the waitlist did this to show their dedication to the school.

1. talk to them and see if I can stay on the waitlist and hope for a full time spot to open up since I am clearly a top contender
2. go part time and transfer after a year ( my dad basically told me he won't allow this, which confuses me and screws with my head more
or

I am currently enrolled at John Marshall with $16,000 a year and really do not want to go there. I don't have an option to defer a year, so that is where I'll be going if all else fails. Loyola has been my first choice for two years and I have sent numerous letters telling them this and just feel so stressed and confused. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Talking to parents and friends who don't truly understand only makes it worse.

Amanda

Honestly, I would take Loyola part-time since coming out of John Marshall would seriously impede your job prospects orrr, retake the LSAT and reapply next year. I'm attending Kent PT for the first year and switching to FT after that. I thought for sure I was going to work and go to school, but found out I won't need to do that anymore (which is why I applied to PT). It's not a huge deal. I know a lot of professors at my school teach Day and Evening classes so we get the same teachers, and it's really only a difference of one class (granted, that may prove to be a HUGE difference in course load). The only significant difference to me is that your schedule will be flipped for the first year depending on if you work (studying, clubs, moot court in the morning, and attending class at night). Check to see what you'd need to do to switch to FT next year, but other than that it shouldn't hurt your chances at OCI, Law review, ect. All students are treated equally--this is coming from what I know at Kent though.
Last edited by as stars burn on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

nit00

Postby nit00 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 am

Rosebud523 wrote:So I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that I was admitted off of the waitlist. I should be ecstatic, but there is always a twist, and I was admitted into the Part time evening program. This was something I told them I would possibly consider if all else failed and there wasn't a spot full time at the end of the summer.

or

Amanda

Go to Loyola PT, you'll be much better off in the end than if you had gone to John Marshall. Like Stars said, you can switch to FT after your first year. It is usually pretty easy, at most schools you just have to be in good academic standing, and you have to take classes one summer to catch up credit wise and usually finish your 1L classes at night the fall semester you switch to FT. Also, if you weren't planning on working anyways, now going PT you'll have your whole morning free to study and participate in organizations...or, do work, and you have less to borrow for COL expenses.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 am

nit00 wrote:

or

Amanda

Go to Loyola PT, you'll be much better off in the end than if you had gone to John Marshall. Like Stars said, you can switch to FT after your first year. It is usually pretty easy, at most schools you just have to be in good academic standing, and you have to take classes one summer to catch up credit wise and usually finish your 1L classes at night the fall semester you switch to FT. Also, if you weren't planning on working anyways, now going PT you'll have your whole morning free to study and participate in organizations...or, do work, and you have less to borrow for COL expenses.

+1 I've spoken to a lot of PT students and it does open more time to get involved as well! The transition to FT is usually pretty easy, like nit said...so go to Loyola!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

I just turned down a 100k offer. hope it goes to one of you!

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:47 am

or

Amanda

Amanda, check your inbox. I sent you some info on transferring from PT to FT.

musshockey15

Postby musshockey15 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:46 pm

In off the waitlist for p/t program...and im there.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 pm

did you get pulled off today?

musshockey15

Postby musshockey15 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm

thinkhard wrote:did you get pulled off today?

I got pulled on Tuesday via phone call, visited on Wednesday and paid the deposit on that day.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”