Loyola Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool???
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lawschool??? » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Just noticed that a decision was made 3/30/10 but I haven't received the email (see prev posts). Does this mean I didn't get in?

UGHilbert
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby UGHilbert » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Withdrawing. Freeing up scholarship money. Good luck all!

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby uwb09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm

lawschool??? wrote:Just noticed that a decision was made 3/30/10 but I haven't received the email (see prev posts). Does this mean I didn't get in?

I didn't receive an acceptance email when I got in

lawschool???
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lawschool??? » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:06 pm

uwb09 wrote:
lawschool??? wrote:Just noticed that a decision was made 3/30/10 but I haven't received the email (see prev posts). Does this mean I didn't get in?

I didn't receive an acceptance email when I got in


Thank you, that makes me feel better. The online status notes that I should receive a decision letter within the next month. Could it really take up to a month to receive a response? Seems like I could walk to Chicago and back sooner than that...

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Burnsie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I just got the same thing. I'm hopeful...but realistically it is a ding. I hope the letter comes soon. I'll let you know as soon as I get mine. I'm lots of states away.

lawschool???
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lawschool??? » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Burnsie wrote:I just got the same thing. I'm hopeful...but realistically it is a ding. I hope the letter comes soon. I'll let you know as soon as I get mine. I'm lots of states away.


Thanks, I'll let you know if I hear anything too. In reading the previous posts, many people reported receiving the email on the 17th when a decision was made on the 15th. I'm hopeful I will get an e-mail in the next 48 hours. If not, I'm sure it's a ding.

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Burnsie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Also, there is no information on bottom of status checker for seat deposits, fees, etc. i see that as a ding. oh well. i continue the waiting elsewhere.

lawschool???
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lawschool??? » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

]
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Danger wrote:My status just changed to "Decision Mailed." I got a sense from what I read here that they e-mail acceptances, is that correct? In other words, does my status mean rejected?

TNX


Loyola does not email acceptances, however a few days after I received my letter of admission in the mail, I received an email concerning merit aid.


this is wrong... they do send emails... look back at previous posts.

I did not receive an e-mail acceptance, either. I did, however, receive merit award via e-mail.

My decision was rendered on Feb 8. I got two emails on Feb 10: one saying congratulations and telling me how to log in to the admitted students' site, and the other telling me to submit the fafsa. I received the packet a few days later via usps and it contained scholarship information. Neither email contained scholarship information. I hope that helps :)
[/quote]

Maybe this will provide us with some hope. I'm very doubtful of my chances though. However, I still wonder about the fees and seat deposits not containing a fee or due date.

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Burnsie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:10 pm

lawschool??? wrote:]
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Danger wrote:My status just changed to "Decision Mailed." I got a sense from what I read here that they e-mail acceptances, is that correct? In other words, does my status mean rejected?

TNX


Loyola does not email acceptances, however a few days after I received my letter of admission in the mail, I received an email concerning merit aid.


this is wrong... they do send emails... look back at previous posts.

I did not receive an e-mail acceptance, either. I did, however, receive merit award via e-mail.

My decision was rendered on Feb 8. I got two emails on Feb 10: one saying congratulations and telling me how to log in to the admitted students' site, and the other telling me to submit the fafsa. I received the packet a few days later via usps and it contained scholarship information. Neither email contained scholarship information. I hope that helps :)


Maybe this will provide us with some hope. I'm very doubtful of my chances though. However, I still wonder about the fees and seat deposits not containing a fee or due date.[/quote]


Crossing my fingers for the both of us!!!

User avatar
Chiglaw
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Chiglaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Anyone planning on going to the ASD on April 10th?

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 pm

just sent in "do not wish to remain on waitlist"...hope somebody benefits!

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby CAHopeful » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:35 pm

Chiglaw wrote:Anyone planning on going to the ASD on April 10th?


I'm attending ASD on the 10th. Anyone else? I'm coming all the way from SoCal, so I hope it's good.

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Burnsie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey lawschool???, I did not recieve the email that came to everyone 2 days later. Coupled with a ding in the mail from northeastern I am pretty sure this will be a rejection for me as well. I'm kinda sad, and my dog won't cuddle....

knightrider2002
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby knightrider2002 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Got my email last night. Guess I will be making my decision soon. :evil:

mrmofo
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby mrmofo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:44 pm


b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:16 pm

lawschool??? wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
lawschool??? wrote:Just noticed that a decision was made 3/30/10 but I haven't received the email (see prev posts). Does this mean I didn't get in?

I didn't receive an acceptance email when I got in


Thank you, that makes me feel better. The online status notes that I should receive a decision letter within the next month. Could it really take up to a month to receive a response? Seems like I could walk to Chicago and back sooner than that...


Well, they also said it would take 4-6 weeks to make a decision, so who the hell knows?

I just hope I know soon because I have to put down a deposit somewhere.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby JCougar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 pm

I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. I got no scholarship money at all for some reason. Not a big deal, though. Hopefully one of y'all will have a great time going there. Chicago rocks!

lewis louis
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lewis louis » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:17 am

Anyone in town for the ASD? First time back in chicago in a long time, lookin' to grab some beers tomorrow night.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby quadsixm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:08 am

Withdrawing soon. Good luck to all on WL!

asolano10
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby asolano10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 am

Maybe someone can help me out. I didn't attend the ASW this past Saturday and I just recently got my acceptance... Can you give me some real and true perspectives on the school atmosphere, campus, academic rigor, etc? I've got to put down a deposit by April 15th and I'm still thinking this through. Any thoughts? Thanks!

User avatar
Chiglaw
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Chiglaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 am

Atmosphere: Granted, there is always some spin when dealing with the admissions folks, but I really felt very comfortable. They came across as very honest. No one promised us 160k salaries or that someone would hand us a biglaw job (as I've heard DePaul does) but they did emphasis that the alumni base is very strong in Chicago and can go a long way in helping you find legal work in this shit economy. 91% of 2009 grads had legal employment 9 months after graduation.

Campus: Coming from University of Illinois, the facilities are quite a huge change. The law school is located in one building in a really nice part of downtown. A large portion has been recently renovated with the remaining floors set to be complete by 2014. The library was very very nice but it is not open 24hours/day which is sort of surprising. We didn't get to see every floor but even the older floors weren't in very bad shape. The student lounge was really small and pretty run down tho.

Academic Rigor: Not really sure how well I could get a feel for this but what I did gather from a conversation with a 3L student was that Loyola is more focused on creating lawyers with lawyering skills instead of a more academic focus that can be found at UC and NW.

I'm still not 100% sold on the school but unfortunately my cycle doesn't give me many other choices. With a scholarship it only seems like a slightly risky investment if you want to stay in Chicago and don't aspire to biglaw, but there is little chance I'd pay sticker.

nitr0x99
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby nitr0x99 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 am

asolano10 wrote:Maybe someone can help me out. I didn't attend the ASW this past Saturday and I just recently got my acceptance... Can you give me some real and true perspectives on the school atmosphere, campus, academic rigor, etc? I've got to put down a deposit by April 15th and I'm still thinking this through. Any thoughts? Thanks!


I didnt go to ASW but visited. I liked it alot. Facilities are great, and they are making them even better with 20 million in renovations. They have a new courtroom that is absolutely stunning. Location of the building is great also, its in the gold coast which is a nice part of chicago that is readily accessible by subway (el) or buses. Good restaurants, shopping, and nightlife around there as well. Law school building is independent of Loyola's main campus which is in the far north side of the city.

Loyola seems to be all about Health law and Child law. Those are their specialties. Before the recession, Loyola placed about 15% of the class in BIGLAW which is more than any of the other T2 law schools in Chicago. Obviously its not gonna be at 15% anymore, but you might have more of a chance at BIGLAW from Loyola rather than DePaul or Kent (just a sliver of a chance lol)



Don't really know what to tell you about academic rigor. When I sat down with the dean of admissions, she was real nice and very honest about things. Very straightforward. That was nice because other law schools I visited tried to make ti sound like everyone was gonna be 100K+ ballin straight out of law school lol

edit: wow the post above me was made as I typed this one, insane how similar our posts are

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby moandersen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 am

nitr0x99 wrote:They have a new courtroom that is absolutely stunning.


Best courtroom by far of the schools i have visited - its amazing. However, I think im going to throw my acceptance and $ back in the pot. Talking to a partner of a mid-sized chicago firm only solidified my decision to withdraw. Its a solid school if you want to work in chicago all your life, but im ready to get out.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

[quote="nitr0x99Before the recession, Loyola placed about 15% of the class in BIGLAW which is more than any of the other T2 law schools in Chicago. Obviously its not gonna be at 15% anymore, but you might have more of a chance at BIGLAW from Loyola rather than DePaul or Kent (just a sliver of a chance lol)

[/quote]

Loyola was at 15%
Kent was at 13.8%

Splitting hairs but just sayin'...

lewis louis
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby lewis louis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:26 am

moanderson: What did the mid-size law firm partner have to say? You can PM if you would like.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”