Loyola Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roguey

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby roguey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

I believe so :) Congratulations!!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm

I can't even describe the level of emotional happiness i'm feeling right now. This is the first decision that's been made on me so far, I sent out around 15 apps.

4 years ago I was just some unemployed college dropout flushing my life down the toilet, i've wanted to work in the legal arena since I was a little kid. I explored other careers through internships, jobs, etc... and I always came back to wanting to go to law school. I got my shit togehter, went back to school, took me three times but I kicked the LSAT's ass, and ya.

I've been through so much BS in my life, put in so much time, I am sitting at my desk right now at work trying to hold back tears of happiness.

While I may not go to Loyola-Chicago when all is said and done, I can tell you this school will always be special to me, and their acceptance letter (if it comes) will be framed on my wall as a reminder that no matter where you are at in life, you can always turn things around.

Ok sorry for the rant haha, congrats to the people who made it in at Loyola-Chicago, and if I decide to go there I hope to meet you guys in person. This forum has helped me a lot in deciding where to apply, getting ready for the LSAT, and working on my app materials.

Alright back to work :D

jimicornerstone

Postby jimicornerstone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

uwb09 wrote:got an e-mail inviting me to attend an admitted student reception, and status checker says a decision has been made. Is it safe to assume I got in?

Got the same thing! Shweet. 1st Acceptance.. 1st post..

I sent out 17 .. and am anticipating a large amount of waitlists.

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm

jimicornerstone wrote:
uwb09 wrote:got an e-mail inviting me to attend an admitted student reception, and status checker says a decision has been made. Is it safe to assume I got in?

Got the same thing! Shweet. 1st Acceptance.. 1st post..

I sent out 17 .. and am anticipating a large amount of waitlists.

I got the same email. So I am assuming I am accepted to the school. :D
This is my 2nd acceptance in two days. I still have 22 pending application out there. I hope I make a swipe of 24 acceptances! :P :P :P

Modian

Postby Modian » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm

haha I got the admitted students email today, but about 30 minutes prior, I got an invitation to apply, waived fee, etc., email.

Also, have scholarships already been awarded? I haven't heard anything about money yet. If I got money from DePaul, should I bring it up to LUC?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Modian wrote:haha I got the admitted students email today, but about 30 minutes prior, I got an invitation to apply, waived fee, etc., email.

Also, have scholarships already been awarded? I haven't heard anything about money yet. If I got money from DePaul, should I bring it up to LUC?

Wait a few days. I received an e-mail from LUC awarding me a scholarship a day later. Sit for a week and then ask.

jimicornerstone

Postby jimicornerstone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Modian wrote:haha I got the admitted students email today, but about 30 minutes prior, I got an invitation to apply, waived fee, etc., email.

In one of the e-mails I got today there was a list of specialty scholarships that could be applied for (separate app. I assume) with March 1 deadlines. I got a few detailed attachments, I'm thinking these correlate to whatever I checked in the "interests" section on their app. I dunno about just regular merit schollys.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:09 pm

jimicornerstone wrote:

In one of the e-mails I got today there was a list of specialty scholarships that could be applied for (separate app. I assume) with March 1 deadlines. I got a few detailed attachments, I'm thinking these correlate to whatever I checked in the "interests" section on their app. I dunno about just regular merit schollys.

I'm not so sure. I got the same e-mail, too.

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Jerome wrote:
jimicornerstone wrote:

I'm not so sure. I got the same e-mail, too.

I got the scholarships email as well. It came 30 mins after the 1st email for admitted students.

prana479

Postby prana479 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Just got waitlisted :( Do y'all think it's better to tough it out or just ask to be considered for PT(I'm a definite in for PT, their numbers are so bipolar!)? I'm sure I'd have no problem transferring to FT after the first year, but that does require me to sacrifice a summer I could be clerking to take classes...

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:07 am

Just withdrew admissions and 20k, good luck everyone!

Modian

Postby Modian » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 am

Is asking for a matching scholarship from loyola reasonable (DePaul, 15k/yr)? Has anyone done this yet?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 am

Modian wrote:Is asking for a matching scholarship from loyola reasonable (DePaul, 15k/yr)? Has anyone done this yet?

I haven't tried, but it is worth a shot. I asked the admissions office about whether they ever negotiated, and the lady I spoke to said it was rare, but they sometimes match offers.

mcm1211

Postby mcm1211 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 am

Jerome wrote:
Modian wrote:Is asking for a matching scholarship from loyola reasonable (DePaul, 15k/yr)? Has anyone done this yet?

I haven't tried, but it is worth a shot. I asked the admissions office about whether they ever negotiated, and the lady I spoke to said it was rare, but they sometimes match offers.

I was wondering the same thing. So far, Loyola has offered me 5k compared to 15k at Depaul. If the money was equal I would definitely prefer Loyola. Does anybody have any insight on Loyola's negotiating policy?

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 am

mcm1211 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. So far, Loyola has offered me 5k compared to 15k at Depaul. If the money was equal I would definitely prefer Loyola. Does anybody have any insight on Loyola's negotiating policy?

I thought mine said $5,000/total for Loyola Chicago as well since I did not read the entire letter (I was doing homework when I got it.) But after reading it over it says $5,000 every year which would equal $15,000. Does your say this as well? "your scholarship will be applied in two equal installments (one half each semester) toward your tuition for 2010-2011 academic year, and renewed in the subsequent years you are in attendance for your JD degree."

Is this correct?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

alisyn313 wrote:
mcm1211 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I thought mine said $5,000/total for Loyola Chicago as well since I did not read the entire letter (I was doing homework when I got it.) But after reading it over it says $5,000 every year which would equal $15,000. Does your say this as well? "your scholarship will be applied in two equal installments (one half each semester) toward your tuition for 2010-2011 academic year, and renewed in the subsequent years you are in attendance for your JD degree."

Is this correct?

thats what mine says

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 pm

mcm1211 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I am in the same situation. I got 15K/year at depaul and 5K/year at loyola. I tried negotiating and they told me they couldn't do anything for me. :(

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
mcm1211 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I am in the same situation. I got 15K/year at depaul and 5K/year at loyola. I tried negotiating and they told me they couldn't do anything for me. :(

The scholarship love is nowhere to be found this cycle. Tried negotiating with a few schools - nada.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 pm

For anyone that has visited, what is your opinion of the facilities? I've heard Depaul's are pretty dismal.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Chiglaw wrote:For anyone that has visited, what is your opinion of the facilities? I've heard Depaul's are pretty dismal.

I wont be visiting DePaul, but I am checking out LUC next weekend. I'll provide a summary if anyone is interested.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Withdrew today, and freed up $15k/year in scholarship money. Good luck!

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Chiglaw wrote:For anyone that has visited, what is your opinion of the facilities? I've heard Depaul's are pretty dismal.

I visited and couldn't see myself spending long days in the building because honestly I thought it was kind of cramped. They're in the process of renovating though and some floors were way better than others. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice school but I withdrew after seeing the facilities, it was just kind of average

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Jerome wrote:

I wont be visiting DePaul, but I am checking out LUC next weekend. I'll provide a summary if anyone is interested.

I would be interested, plan to head out there sometime next month regardless, but would be nice to get another person's perspective

illini10

Postby illini10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 am

Last week I visited Kent, Loyola and DePaul.

Loyola has done a lot of updating - brand new mock court room, updated class rooms and nice areas to study in. They are still working on the building. I liked the overall feel of Loyola.

Kent is in a great location, across the street for Union Station. It has a very impressive entrance. A good layout with a modern industrial feel.

DePaul is in need of much updating. Slow old elevators, old class rooms. For me it might be a hard place to spend 3 years at.

mcm1211

Postby mcm1211 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Edit: meant to quote the post about the scholarship being 5k/year, not total.

I was wondering the same thing. So far, Loyola has offered me 5k compared to 15k at Depaul. If the money was equal I would definitely prefer Loyola. Does anybody have any insight on Loyola's negotiating policy?[/quote]

Yeah, that's exactly what mine says too. As far as facilities go, I am very familiar with both Loyola's and Depaul's. Loyola's law building is awesome, very modern and they are currently doing work to continue to improve it (they just renamed the building after receiving a record donation from legendary Chicago lawyer Phil Corboy). Depaul's facilities are certainly not as nice as Loyola's, but I'm not sure that nicer facilities are worth an extra $10k per year...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”