Loyola Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hammurabi

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Postby Hammurabi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 pm

In via email at Loyola! (hopefully this is the right thread)

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm

In via e-mail today! First decision of the cycle! :)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Also in via email! Not gonna lie, even though it's a safety for me, it still feels pretty good. :-)

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

In via e-mail!! Not my top choice but still feels good!!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Congrats Kobe and everyone else admitted today. Hopefully you guys hear about money soon.

kyoo

Postby kyoo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Sounds like whoever was accepted today got their notification via email. Mine went complete 1/21 and decision made 1/29. But no email yet. Plus according to the online status, they say they are unable to provide decisions over the phones or via email.
Am I in bad shape? I applied for the PTD.

mrmofo

Postby mrmofo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 pm

kyoo wrote:Sounds like whoever was accepted today got their notification via email. Mine went complete 1/21 and decision made 1/29. But no email yet. Plus according to the online status, they say they are unable to provide decisions over the phones or via email.

I was decision made 1/23 and received the e-mail on 1/28 if that's any consolation

kristela204

Postby kristela204 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

kyoo wrote:Sounds like whoever was accepted today got their notification via email. Mine went complete 1/21 and decision made 1/29. But no email yet. Plus according to the online status, they say they are unable to provide decisions over the phones or via email.

I had decision made 1/22 (the date changed a few times) and I received my acceptance in the mail to the PTD program. These last few posters are the first I have heard that received their notice via email. Maybe they got their merit award via email which indicated that they were accepted. Not sure, but don't worry about it, just wait for the mail!

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm

I applied PTD as well-didn't hear via email, and got waitlisted- definitly not optimal by a long shot, but not quite out of the game!!

As for everybody else--

Withdraw!!!!

:P

mrmofo

Postby mrmofo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

kristela204 wrote:

I had decision made 1/22 (the date changed a few times) and I received my acceptance in the mail to the PTD program. These last few posters are the first I have heard that received their notice via email. Maybe they got their merit award via email which indicated that they were accepted. Not sure, but don't worry about it, just wait for the mail!

It was just an email saying "Congratulations on your recent acceptance... blah blah" I got the letter in the mail the next day. I don't think the e-mail was supposed to come before the letter based on the difference in wording between the letter and the email.

edit: no scholarship info in the e-mail unfortunately

kyoo

Postby kyoo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm

kristela204 wrote:

Thanks. It makes me feel a lot better! I'll just wait and see.

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 pm

My e-mail said that I should receive a large envelope in the next week (that they were sent out today). But this batch of acceptances is the first I've heard per this thread of anyone hearing via e-mail. So I don't necessarily think it's a bad sign if you didn't get the e-mail. They could just be e-mailing them out in batches.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 pm

mrmofo wrote:
kristela204 wrote:

It was just an email saying "Congratulations on your recent acceptance... blah blah" I got the letter in the mail the next day. I don't think the e-mail was supposed to come before the letter based on the difference in wording between the letter and the email.

Did you get scholly money in your mailed letter?

I just looked at my status checker - I didn't go complete until 1/27 (I did submit on 1/12, but I was told they don't even look at apps. until they go 100%). Odd?

mrmofo

Postby mrmofo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
mrmofo wrote:
kristela204 wrote:

Did you get scholly money in your mailed letter?

I just looked at my status checker - I didn't go complete until 1/27 (I did submit on 1/12, but I was told they don't even look at apps. until they go 100%). Odd?

no, just that scholarship info would come in march. :roll: But they have been e-mailing people merit scholarships that they are awarding (none for me yet, booo). Someone in the facebook group said they gave him 15k.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

I received my acceptance via snail mail, and a merit scholly the next day via e-mail. About a week later they snail-mailed a letter with my merit award.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Complete 1/14, In via snail a week ago!

No word of merit scholy yet... hope I get one...

hoosierdaddy

Postby hoosierdaddy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am

So I have a choice between DePaul and Loyola. At DePaul I received $15k per year and must maintain a 3.2 and Loyola I received $10k and must maintain a 3.0. Anyone have any thoughts on how they would make this decision?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:58 am

hoosierdaddy wrote:So I have a choice between DePaul and Loyola. At DePaul I received $15k per year and must maintain a 3.2 and Loyola I received $10k and must maintain a 3.0. Anyone have any thoughts on how they would make this decision?

I've had a great "feeling" about DePaul since I visited. Everyone is very friendly and willing to answer questions, and the way they run their admissions process is awesome - phone calls from professors, etc. I also think the DePaul alumni base is stronger than Loyola, but probably only slightly.

Loyola has great facilities, is in an awesome area of the city, and I think they have better clinical programs. With that said, I haven't had the same feeling about them.

In the end, I would probably take the extra 15k over three years and go with DePaul.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm

hoosierdaddy wrote:So I have a choice between DePaul and Loyola. At DePaul I received $15k per year and must maintain a 3.2 and Loyola I received $10k and must maintain a 3.0. Anyone have any thoughts on how they would make this decision?

Loyola is more selective, which will matter when looking for employment. Also note that the average starting private sector salary for LUC is $95,000 (in 2007). DePaul grads looked at an average starting private sector salary of $68,000.

Tuition rates for the schools are comparable, but the difference in acceptance rates (46th for LUC, according to ILRG, and 96th for DePaul) and the difference in mean starting salary should make the difference towards LUC, I think.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Jerome wrote:

Loyola is more selective, which will matter when looking for employment. Also note that the average starting private sector salary for LUC is $95,000 (in 2007). DePaul grads looked at an average starting private sector salary of $68,000.

Tuition rates for the schools are comparable, but the difference in acceptance rates (46th for LUC, according to ILRG, and 96th for DePaul) and the difference in mean starting salary should make the difference towards LUC, I think.

Good point, although I don't trust any school's information on median/mean starting salaries, especially a T2.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Good point, although I don't trust any school's information on median/mean starting salaries, especially a T2.

That's perfectly fair. I'm not a shill for LUC, but assuming that every T2 school (or every school, period) embellishes the starting salary reports, we can assume, I think pretty safely, that they all do so similarly. That said, even if LUC's mean is 75k, not 95k, we can assume DePaul would be in the mid 50k's, or so.

Also, if you want to practice in Chicago or Illinois, I think LUC's smaller alumni network wont matter so much.

peterswe

Postby peterswe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:26 pm

I was accepted at Loyola, and rejected at Depaul.

I found this to be pretty interesting. I think Loyola liked my PS.

EDIT: Is there any good explination why Depaul has a more extensive alumni network than Loyola? (if this is even true, that is)

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

peterswe wrote:I was accepted at Loyola, and rejected at Depaul.

I found this to be pretty interesting. I think Loyola liked my PS.

EDIT: Is there any good explination why Depaul has a more extensive alumni network than Loyola? (if this is even true, that is)

My first guess is that DePaul alums are more likely to leave Chicago if their starting salaries wouldn't be as good in Chicago as they would be elsewhere, given the high relative costs of life in Chicago. That alone, in theory at least, would explain why they have more alums in different places.

Again, their assertions about a broad alum network may be bogus, or their alum network may be no broader than LUC's.

hoosierdaddy

Postby hoosierdaddy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:06 pm

To brag of a "larger alumni network" is really meaningless. The real question is the quality of the alumni network and can that network result in a higher probability of employment in the location and type of firm of your choice.

I would guess that DePaul's alumni network is larger, simply because they let more students in and therefore graduate more law students. According to US News, if you look at Loyola's full-time program they have 638 students vs. DePaul's 909 students. If those numbers are close to historical averages, DePaul could say - "We have an alumni network 42% greater in size than Loyola's." Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 pm

hoosierdaddy wrote:To brag of a "larger alumni network" is really meaningless. The real question is the quality of the alumni network and can that network result in a higher probability of employment in the location and type of firm of your choice.

I would guess that DePaul's alumni network is larger, simply because they let more students in and therefore graduate more law students. According to US News, if you look at Loyola's full-time program they have 638 students vs. DePaul's 909 students. If those numbers are close to historical averages, DePaul could say - "We have an alumni network 42% greater in size than Loyola's." Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Good point. Again, I'm doubtful that DePaul's network is more substantial than LUC's in any meaningful way. Then again, I could be wrong.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”