Loyola Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nitr0x99

Bronze

Re: Loyola Chicago 2010

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 pm

mcm1211 wrote:Edit: meant to quote the post about the scholarship being 5k/year, not total.

I was wondering the same thing. So far, Loyola has offered me 5k compared to 15k at Depaul. If the money was equal I would definitely prefer Loyola. Does anybody have any insight on Loyola's negotiating policy?
Yeah, that's exactly what mine says too. As far as facilities go, I am very familiar with both Loyola's and Depaul's. Loyola's law building is awesome, very modern and they are currently doing work to continue to improve it (they just renamed the building after receiving a record donation from legendary Chicago lawyer Phil Corboy). Depaul's facilities are certainly not as nice as Loyola's, but I'm not sure that nicer facilities are worth an extra $10k per year...[/quote]

I agree. :( It doesn't really make sense to throw away money just because you wan't to go to school ina 'nicer' building. It just sucks though because I visited Kent and it would be an awesome motivator to have nice classrooms.

We'll see how the ASD at DePaul on March 6th goes. I thought they were renovating DePaul?

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm

so far, i've gotten nothing from loyola, but 15k/yr from depaul. Worth asking for? Or is it hard to ask for money when no initial offer was made?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Modian wrote:so far, i've gotten nothing from loyola, but 15k/yr from depaul. Worth asking for? Or is it hard to ask for money when no initial offer was made?
I would absolutely give it a shot.

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm

I too received an e-mail granting me merit aid before I ever knew that I was accepted. I then received the letter in the mail a couple days later. I guess it's different for everyone depending on how long the letter will take to get to you, as well as if you are being offered any $$

I ended up getting 7500 a year. I am not sure if this is enough to convince me. I guess I will have to wait for other decisions before I decide. How do you think LUC compares to Kent?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I too received an e-mail granting me merit aid before I ever knew that I was accepted. I then received the letter in the mail a couple days later. I guess it's different for everyone depending on how long the letter will take to get to you, as well as if you are being offered any $$

I ended up getting 7500 a year. I am not sure if this is enough to convince me. I guess I will have to wait for other decisions before I decide. How do you think LUC compares to Kent?
Not as good. I'd take Kent over LUC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fenderjsm88

Bronze

Post by fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Is anyone going to the scholarship reception this Friday?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:42 pm

My acceptance said merit $$$ would be awarded in March.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Is anyone going to the scholarship reception this Friday?
Yeah.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 am

While it is valid to say YOU would take Kent over LUC, its not accurate to say "not as good". In fact, I would say popular opinion is made of two opinions. 1) Loyola, Depaul, Kent is essentially a was, but if you need a tie break and are interested in Health, Business, IP you would be wise to go to the respective schools. 2) Depaul and Loyola are essentially the same, but depaul/loyola has a slightly bigger alumni base. Kent is starting to make a name for itself, but alot of people in the city, despite its rank, view it as slightly less than.

Thats just my opinion, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks for all of your input! Money will also be a large factor for me, if I end up in the Chicago area. Good luck to everyone else :)

Mattisgo

New

Post by Mattisgo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:32 am

Withdrew today.

Hope one of you gets my spot!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 am

Was anybody at ASW on Saturday?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Was anybody at ASW on Saturday?
Yup. You?

I was actually more impressed with the school than I anticipated. The building, while under the knife to the tune of $20 million, was pretty nice. The current students I spoke with seemed bright, eager to learn, and hard working. While I wouldn't make assumptions on professorial quality on a mock class alone, I was relatively impressed with the professor who taught the mock criminal law course.

All of that written, the administration was clearly doing their best to make sure that the prospective students knew that the school itself was aware that its rating was not great. They stressed, again and again, the quality of the school, the strong reputation LUC has in the Chicago area, and the extensiveness of the alumni network.

I will give more details to anyone that might want them but wasn't there. On the whole, I was pretty impressed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am

I thought the same thing! I was very impressed and I really liked the atmosphere of the school. I was also pleased with how upfront they were about their ranking, jobs and the price of law school. It was refreshing.

I spoke with a girl who had also applied to some top-14 schools and she didn't like the fact that the employment picture being painted wasn't so rosey. I asked him/her if she would rather be lied to instead?

At the luncheon I had a chance to speak with Dean Yellen and he seemed very down to earth and eager to support his students. This, I also felt, was reflected in the rest of the school.

Its moved to my top choice. Kent is now #2.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 am

if you have been to DePaul, how would you compare/contrast the two schools?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:45 am

uwb09 wrote:if you have been to DePaul, how would you compare/contrast the two schools?

I've only been on an info tour at DePaul. However, the difference to me and my S/O was that DePaul was in the process of getting their shit together, while Loyola-Chi had it figured out. Every 1L gets a tutor/mentor (that is 2L or 3L), the faculty seems more visible and helpful etc. Also, DePaul made you think that you were on your way to some job in BigLaw or a Clerkship with a degree from their school. Loyola-Chi has much better stats but was far more honest about the employment picture. This is huge for me. Honesty. I'm about as agnostic (leaning atheist) as it comes but the Jesuit factor really makes Loyola-Chi appealing. More support. More honesty and openness.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I thought the same thing! I was very impressed and I really liked the atmosphere of the school. I was also pleased with how upfront they were about their ranking, jobs and the price of law school. It was refreshing.

I spoke with a girl who had also applied to some top-14 schools and she didn't like the fact that the employment picture being painted wasn't so rosey. I asked him/her if she would rather be lied to instead?

At the luncheon I had a chance to speak with Dean Yellen and he seemed very down to earth and eager to support his students. This, I also felt, was reflected in the rest of the school.

Kobe, we applied to many of the same schools. Hope the news is good for you.

Yeah, I spoke with a student who was upset that the student panel and the admins were dour about the job prospects. I asked the same thing you did. I am beginning to get the impression that there are (broadly) three types of applicant:

1. Don't know what else to do with their lives, but like the idea of money, so apply to law school.
2. Dad is a lawyer, grandpa was a lawyer, big sister is in law school, so, hey, law school it is.
3. Those that are actually engaged by the study and practice of law.

I got the impression, from the current LUC students with whom I spoke, that many of them were #3. That was refreshing.

The quality of the building and the access to the Chicago market and the opportunities it offers are very attractive. Not to mention unlimited CTA access for $100 a semester.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:52 am

Its been mostly good. Very pleased, things are going as expected. I hope the same for yourself! What school(s) are you leaning towards? (PM if you want)

I also agree that most of the students fell in category #3. I feel the honesty and atmosphere of the school accounts for part of this.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Its been mostly good. Very pleased, things are going as expected. I hope the same for yourself! What school(s) are you leaning towards? (PM if you want)

I also agree that most of the students fell in category #3. I feel the honesty and atmosphere of the school accounts for part of this.
Applied to:
Loyola
Wisconsin (no news)
Iowa (in)
Minnesota (no news)
Indiana - Bloomington (no news)
CU Boulder (WL, will send LOCI)
UNC - Chapel Hill
Wash & Lee (WL - withdrew)

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Jerome wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I thought the same thing! I was very impressed and I really liked the atmosphere of the school. I was also pleased with how upfront they were about their ranking, jobs and the price of law school. It was refreshing.

Kobe, we applied to many of the same schools. Hope the news is good for you.

Yeah, I spoke with a student who was upset that the student panel and the admins were dour about the job prospects. I asked the same thing you did. I am beginning to get the impression that there are (broadly) three types of applicant:

1. Don't know what else to do with their lives, but like the idea of money, so apply to law school.
2. Dad is a lawyer, grandpa was a lawyer, big sister is in law school, so, hey, law school it is.
3. Those that are actually engaged by the study and practice of law.

I got the impression, from the current LUC students with whom I spoke, that many of them were #3. That was refreshing.

The quality of the building and the access to the Chicago market and the opportunities it offers are very attractive. Not to mention unlimited CTA access for $100 a semester.
This actually makes loyola a little more palpable even though it is probably my last choice. I really dont want to stay in chicago, but if I do, loyola wont be too bad i guess.

mrmofo

New

Post by mrmofo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I went this past weekend also and I really fell in love with the school. The faculty all seem to be extremely genuine, and the career services office is hellbent on helping their students succeed. The atmosphere of the school is great and you can't beat the location. The students that I met really enjoy their time there, and like a few said before, are actually interested in studying/ practicing law. I'd highly recommend visiting if you can. My trip sealed my fate at loyola :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Happy to say Loyola is still in the running for me. I know it is late, but has anyone had success negotiating merit aid? I have a 60k offer from Penn State, so I am hoping Loyola may be able to offer a little more, considering I want to stay in Chicago.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am

traehekat wrote:Happy to say Loyola is still in the running for me. I know it is late, but has anyone had success negotiating merit aid? I have a 60k offer from Penn State, so I am hoping Loyola may be able to offer a little more, considering I want to stay in Chicago.
I have no personal experience, BUT when I spoke with the admissions and financial aid offices, they both said it is possible if you have offers from other schools. Then they went on to say that it is highly unlikely.

If you want to stay in Chicago, I'd stick with LUC even with less money than what Penn State will fork over. That's just me, though.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am

Jerome wrote:
traehekat wrote:Happy to say Loyola is still in the running for me. I know it is late, but has anyone had success negotiating merit aid? I have a 60k offer from Penn State, so I am hoping Loyola may be able to offer a little more, considering I want to stay in Chicago.
I have no personal experience, BUT when I spoke with the admissions and financial aid offices, they both said it is possible if you have offers from other schools. Then they went on to say that it is highly unlikely.

If you want to stay in Chicago, I'd stick with LUC even with less money than what Penn State will fork over. That's just me, though.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Right now my choice is between Loyola, Iowa, and OSU for Chicago. Do you think Loyola would be more receptive to offering me more money with the Iowa acceptance (no money), rather than the money from Penn State?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 am

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Right now my choice is between Loyola, Iowa, and OSU for Chicago. Do you think Loyola would be more receptive to offering me more money with the Iowa acceptance (no money), rather than the money from Penn State?
I'm in THE SAME position as you with Iowa, so my answer: let's find out. Iowa wont give me money, I don't want NLJ 250 placement, and I can't take on 150k+ in debt for Iowa, so LUC is looking nice, especially if they give me 20K instead of 15K.

What's your strategy?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”