U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Shlonster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:48 am

ccs224 wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Is the picture that LSN paints of scholarship at UW accurate? It looks like they seriously give out 120k in scholly each year, and that's it. That can't be right.


Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.


While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.


Emphasis on chump

MisterChase
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:52 am

Re: U Washington

Postby MisterChase » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:54 am

Shlonster wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Is the picture that LSN paints of scholarship at UW accurate? It looks like they seriously give out 120k in scholly each year, and that's it. That can't be right.


Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.


It's not roughly twenty -- it's 32 out of state, plus COL. Easily six figures. I get what you're saying, and it is relatively cheap, but it's not cheap. Even a small scholly would make a big difference.


Yeah, I wasn't talking about out of state costs. It's roughly twenty for us Washington RESIDENTS. :mrgreen:

Yearly Tuition: Resident: $22,267, Non-Resident: $32,777 (2009-2010)

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby MBZags » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:35 am

I forget the link, but it's pretty easy to get Washington residency for tuition purposes after a year.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: U Washington

Postby aimhigh09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 am

MBZags wrote:I forget the link, but it's pretty easy to get Washington residency for tuition purposes after a year.


I think you're referring to the grad student waiver that applies to 2 and 3Ls:

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/ ... ional.html

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: U Washington

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 am

Shlonster wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Is the picture that LSN paints of scholarship at UW accurate? It looks like they seriously give out 120k in scholly each year, and that's it. That can't be right.


Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.


While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.


Emphasis on chump


I'd love to be that chump...

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: U Washington

Postby ProfitsProphets » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.[/quote]

While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.[/quote]

Emphasis on chump[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump...[/quote]

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.


While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.[/quote]

Emphasis on chump[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump...[/quote]

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump as well, but it does kind of suck that a school you'd like to go to doesn't offer any money and another school that's higher ranked does, essentially forcing you to go to the other school, though if that other school is GW or Vandy, it's tough to complain too much.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby ccs224 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.


While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.


Emphasis on chump[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump...[/quote]

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump as well, but it does kind of suck that a school you'd like to go to doesn't offer any money and another school that's higher ranked does, essentially forcing you to go to the other school, though if that other school is GW or Vandy, it's tough to complain too much.[/quote]

It's always easy to complain.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby CmonSD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am

In review 3/14........they even work Sundays....impressive. :D

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 am

feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm

My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????


When did you go In Review? basically now you wait for the mail...

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Neelio wrote:
Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????


When did you go In Review? basically now you wait for the mail...


Submitted 1/13, In Review 2/22. Corssing fingers that they dont average LSAT scores!

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????



Probably this, starting at :20.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: U Washington

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Bobalou wrote:
Neelio wrote:
Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????


When did you go In Review? basically now you wait for the mail...


Submitted 1/13, In Review 2/22. Corssing fingers that they dont average LSAT scores!

dang, pretty much same dates as me, hoping mine goes blank sometime today :)

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Neelio wrote:feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!


I hope I go blank today. C'mon UW, let's have a flood of acceptances for business majors!

rodewan
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby rodewan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:36 pm

i just went blank as well. i sincerely hope this is not the rejection batch.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 pm

rodewan wrote:i just went blank as well. i sincerely hope this is not the rejection batch.


stats, if you don't mind?

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: U Washington

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Neelio wrote:feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!


I hope I go blank today. C'mon UW, let's have a flood of acceptances for business majors!

+1

rodewan
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby rodewan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 pm

pm'd you neelio

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

Does that make sense to anyone else? Washington is tied for my top choice, I'd pay sticker + to go there.

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

Does that make sense to anyone else? Washington is tied for my top choice, I'd pay sticker + to go there.


Not sure what their plan is.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc
If you look at last year, there are a number of acceptances in the last few days of March though.
I hope I go blank soon. I check my status pretty much every hour on the hour.

mat2013
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

Re: U Washington

Postby mat2013 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

Does that make sense to anyone else? Washington is tied for my top choice, I'd pay sticker + to go there.


I think it makes sense, but so do other very lucid, completely different explanations. Hopefully it works out though. Or at least ends soon. :)

What did your addendum regarding your LSAT state?

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Not sure what their plan is.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc
If you look at last year, there are a number of acceptances in the last few days of March though.
I hope I go blank soon. I check my status pretty much every hour on the hour.


Ugh, looks like it was all rejects in that 2nd/3rd week with mixed results towards the end of the month.

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

mat2013: i just pm'd you re: LSAT addendum.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Anon.y.mousse., dddddd90, Exabot [Bot], fattsdomino, Keilz, lawlawland16, pizzagoblin, TudoBem and 19 guests