U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
daesonesb

Re: U Washington

Postby daesonesb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:39 am

gg
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 am

Current Status: Ready for Review
Current Status Date: 12/29/2009
-------------------------------------

Give me a reason...

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:26 am

Primo LSAT score! If you are jealous of my catfight, I'm jealous of that score! As for UDub v UCLA...I don't think the prestige boost of UCLA is worth paying out of state sticker if you want to work in the Pacific Northwest.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 am

--ImageRemoved--

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 am

lifeaway1985 wrote:Current Status: Ready for Review

Give me a reason...

Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 3/8/2010

I guess the Admission Office people also read threads here... Waving :D Hey, love me back :D

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 am

lifeaway1985 wrote:
lifeaway1985 wrote:Current Status: Ready for Review

Give me a reason...

Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 3/8/2010

I guess the Admission Office people also read threads here... Waving :D Hey, love me back :D

looks like the admissions office is up bright and early today...

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am

Neelio wrote:looks like the admissions office is up bright and early today...

And it appears maybe some weekend work:

I went "In Review" on 3/4. Now my checker's current status date has changed to 3/6 (Sat.). Still says IR.

Anybody know if this means anything? I'd assume it means decision reached (which probably isn't good).

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 am

ozarkhack wrote:
Neelio wrote:looks like the admissions office is up bright and early today...

And it appears maybe some weekend work:

I went "In Review" on 3/4. Now my checker's current status date has changed to 3/6 (Sat.). Still says IR.

Anybody know if this means anything? I'd assume it means decision reached (which probably isn't good).

Ya- I went IR 02/03---->IR 03/05. I don't think it means anything except another committee is looking at your app. Status checker will go blank when a decision has been reached

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 pm

daesonesb wrote:
daesonesb wrote:got a text from my roomate last night, My UW letter is at my apartment. I wont be home till tomorrow, but I'm almost tempted to tell him to open it for me.

Got home. Opened letter. In at UW, despite a misdemeanor disclosure :P . Feeling a bit of relief right now.
Now comes the hard choice: UCLA at out of state sticker, or UW at in state sticker?

I don't think UCLA will give you a really significant advantage anywhere except in Southern CA, and I doubt it would give you any advantage in the NW, it may actually be a slight disadvantage in the NW. Though if your goal is biglaw, and you would rather a biglaw job in LA than something else in Seattle or Portland, maybe UCLA is the better choice. Then again, even in the best years UCLA was not placing more than about 50% of their class into biglaw, and it is probably quite a bit lower than that right now, so with the cost of tuition there, especially out of state, that still seems like a bit of a risk. OOS tuition at UCLA is pushing 50k per year, combined with high COL in LA your debt could easily exceed 200k, in-state at UW is about 20k per year, so even factoring in loans for cost of living you should be able to keep your debt under 100k. There is an enormous difference in paying back 100k vs. 200k in educational debt, 100k would be manageable even on a salary of even 50k or so, but I can't imagine paying back 200k on less than a biglaw salary.

You are more likely to end up getting a biglaw job out of UCLA than UW if you are willing to stay in SoCal, but the risk of not getting a biglaw job and having 200k in debt would be high enough to scare me away from making that decision. If your goal is to work in Seattle or Portland I really don't think there is any good reason to choose UCLA given the difference in cost.

Congrats and good luck with your decision!

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 pm

jcl2 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
daesonesb wrote:got a text from my roomate last night, My UW letter is at my apartment. I wont be home till tomorrow, but I'm almost tempted to tell him to open it for me.

Got home. Opened letter. In at UW, despite a misdemeanor disclosure :P . Feeling a bit of relief right now.
Now comes the hard choice: UCLA at out of state sticker, or UW at in state sticker?

I don't think UCLA will give you a really significant advantage anywhere except in Southern CA, and I doubt it would give you any advantage in the NW, it may actually be a slight disadvantage in the NW. Though if your goal is biglaw, and you would rather a biglaw job in LA than something else in Seattle or Portland, maybe UCLA is the better choice. Then again, even in the best years UCLA was not placing more than about 50% of their class into biglaw, and it is probably quite a bit lower than that right now, so with the cost of tuition there, especially out of state, that still seems like a bit of a risk. OOS tuition at UCLA is pushing 50k per year, combined with high COL in LA your debt could easily exceed 200k, in-state at UW is about 20k per year, so even factoring in loans for cost of living you should be able to keep your debt under 100k. There is an enormous difference in paying back 100k vs. 200k in educational debt, 100k would be manageable even on a salary of even 50k or so, but I can't imagine paying back 200k on less than a biglaw salary.

You are more likely to end up getting a biglaw job out of UCLA than UW if you are willing to stay in SoCal, but the risk of not getting a biglaw job and having 200k in debt would be high enough to scare me away from making that decision. If your goal is to work in Seattle or Portland I really don't think there is any good reason to choose UCLA given the difference in cost.

As a California native, UCLA SOL is nationally ranked (T15), so the employment opportunities definitely stretch beyond SoCal. Although expensive, UCLA doesn't restrict you to the PNW like UW does (some California jobs). I think it really depends on where you really want to work (and take State bar). California or Washington...hmm

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Good luck to everyone recently in review. We're hitting the home stretch now. First seat deposit due May 1.
Last edited by ProfitsProphets on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

jcl2 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:

For BigLaw concerns, here is a link to last year with regards to law schools and NJL250 firms.
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
It looks like UCLA is 35.9% and UW is 19.8%. Though USC is 41.3%, so if you got in there and were offered money, that might be another option.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm

In review now, too! Sweetness.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:43 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:

For BigLaw concerns, here is a link to last year with regards to law schools and NJL250 firms.
It looks like UCLA is 35.9% and UW is 19.8%. Though USC is 41.3%, so if you got in there and were offered money, that might be another option.

yep, 129 to 33 (graduates) from 2009. That a big disparity.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 pm

IR 3/8. Yay.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Is anyone not in review?

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:18 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:Got home. Opened letter. In at UW, despite a misdemeanor disclosure :P . Feeling a bit of relief right now.

yep, 129 to 33 (graduates) from 2009. That a big disparity.

But UCLA's class is more than twice as big, the percentages are the more important thing to look at. You are right that UCLA probably gives you a considerable advantage over UW elsewhere in CA and probably a bit of an advantage elsewhere in the country, but UCLA is still primarily regional, most grads do stay in SoCal. As I said, UCLA will give you a better overall shot at biglaw, so if getting biglaw is your primary goal and you are willing to accept some risk (that you still might not get biglaw, but you will have 200k in debt), then UCLA might be the right choice.

As you said, it mostly comes down to location preference. If one wanted to work in CA or was gunning for biglaw, with that being more important than location, then UCLA is probably the better choice, if one wants to work in the NW, UW is probably the better choice. Because of the significant cost difference, I also think that someone who is unsure where they want to end up or what kind of work they want to do should really give UW serious consideration.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm

HerseyChris wrote:Is anyone not in review?

Me...since 1/11. In-state; same GPA as you, but your LSAT is way higher than mine. I'm expecting a ding, but still.
Last edited by KIM_SAYS: on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:08 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:

Me...since 1/11.

+1

seattlite

Postby seattlite » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Sadly, yes, I am still "Ready for Review" as of 01/12/10. :(

Hopefully, I will be In Review soon. I just hope that there will still be acceptance slots available when I go into review. :wink:

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

seattlite wrote:

Sadly, yes, I am still "Ready for Review" as of 01/12/10. :(

Hopefully, I will be In Review soon. I just hope that there will still be acceptance slots available when I go into review. :wink:

Ok, well good luck to you three. I was just wondering because so many people said in review, I was starting to worry that they just clicked a button by accident changing the statuses, but obviously that's a stupid/unfounded concern since people who have their status change are going to say 'me!' and it just looks like a lot of people.

algren

Postby algren » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:58 pm

akili wrote:
KIM_SAYS: wrote:

Me...since 1/11.

+1

+1

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 pm

This is killing me! I love you, UW, reciprocate please!

khong2

Postby khong2 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:17 pm

My last change in status was 2/5/2010. Within the last couple of hours the status checker went blank. Here's hoping for good news. Anybody else with a similar update?!

funkylicks

Postby funkylicks » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm

It's finally time to relinquish my throne as the king of "Ready For Review" (12/17). I too am "In Review" today. Good luck everybody.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”