U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akili

Re: U Washington

Postby akili » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:16 pm

It does suck that we can't predict what's going on with UW, but at least they seem to be really looking at people. I don't know what they actually want...but it gives me hope that maybe I have it???

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:
I just hope UW is weird enough to take me in and end this drama.

Amen. I woke up in the middle of the night after a nightmare about opening a rejection letter from UW last night. I'm pretty sure I can handle a rejection, but this waiting is what's killing me.

it's killing me too. I've been losing sleep as well. This really sucks... anybody go "blank" today?

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:

Amen. I woke up in the middle of the night after a nightmare about opening a rejection letter from UW last night. I'm pretty sure I can handle a rejection, but this waiting is what's killing me.

Is it wrong to find that nightmare kind of adorable in a way? If I get dinged, I would be disappointed, but I'm stastically on the outside looking in anyway so the onus would be on myself. Better than the SU waitlisting, where I feel like a battered trophy wife who still loves her philandering husband, but deep down inside knows she can do much better.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:

Is it wrong to find that nightmare kind of adorable in a way? If I get dinged, I would be disappointed, but I'm stastically on the outside looking in anyway so the onus would be on myself. Better than the SU waitlisting, where I feel like a battered trophy wife who still loves her philandering husband, but deep down inside knows she can do much better.

Ha, that's a great metaphor. That wait list is so puzzling. It should be them begging you and showering you with money to come.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I agree, I have no idea what UW is doing with this cycle. I saw recently a 168/3.9 getting rejected, and for someone like me (an embarrassing lsat score) still in contention (at least I think I am by still being in review). I went to a recent law school forum in the Bay Area and spoke to an admission rep from another school I am still waiting to hear from, and he summed it up nicely for me: "It would be a miracle if we admitting you with that score." In short, I can only HOPE that UW is seriously taking a holistic approach with this cycle. For some of us "miracles" do happen.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 pm

akili wrote:It does suck that we can't predict what's going on with UW, but at least they seem to be really looking at people. I don't know what they actually want...but it gives me hope that maybe I have it???

+100 (I think they want sociologist, see you, me and plugin still in contention). :wink:

funkylicks

Postby funkylicks » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 am

Can anyone match or beat 'Ready For Review' 12/17? They're certainly going to need to brush away the cob-webs if and when I ever go into review.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am

At this point I'm seriously wondering if I'll have a decision by the time my other deposits are due. I would eat another $200-300 for UW if I had to, but needless to say I'd rather not.

seattleguy

Postby seattleguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Not sure if I should post this here or in the UW Class of 2013 thread, but as it seems more folks are checking this one, I'll post here and in the other.

I called the Financial Aid Coordinator at UW Law today to ask a few questions about how aid works. LSN only shows one person with any sort of aid on their profile for the past couple years, and I've read a few times on different threads that UW doesn't really do any scholarships. Here is the low-down as far as what the Financial Aid Coordinator said (i.e. maybe take it with a grain of salt):

-While some aid is need based, they do have merit based aid that is not the Gates Public Service Scholars program.
-Some aid is a combination of merit/need
-There are over 70 scholarship funds at UW and you are automatically considered for them with your application and FAFSA
-There is tuition exemption money available.
-If you think your EFC is too high, fill out a 2010-2011 Revision Request which gets filed with the main Financial Aid office, and they might be able to reduce your EFC and thus, make you eligible for more need based aid.
-UW does not give Perkins Loans to its Law school students, Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans are the main ones.
-It's still early in their process, but he thinks they should be putting packages together and sending them out by mid-March.

Hope that helps some folks, let me know if you know anything else.

hellomoto

Postby hellomoto » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm

seattleguy wrote:Not sure if I should post this here or in the UW Class of 2013 thread, but as it seems more folks are checking this one, I'll post here and in the other.

I called the Financial Aid Coordinator at UW Law today to ask a few questions about how aid works. LSN only shows one person with any sort of aid on their profile for the past couple years, and I've read a few times on different threads that UW doesn't really do any scholarships. Here is the low-down as far as what the Financial Aid Coordinator said (i.e. maybe take it with a grain of salt):

-While some aid is need based, they do have merit based aid that is not the Gates Public Service Scholars program.
-Some aid is a combination of merit/need
-There are over 70 scholarship funds at UW and you are automatically considered for them with your application and FAFSA
-There is tuition exemption money available.
-If you think your EFC is too high, fill out a 2010-2011 Revision Request which gets filed with the main Financial Aid office, and they might be able to reduce your EFC and thus, make you eligible for more need based aid.
-UW does not give Perkins Loans to its Law school students, Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans are the main ones.
-It's still early in their process, but he thinks they should be putting packages together and sending them out by mid-March.

Hope that helps some folks, let me know if you know anything else.

Thanks for finding out this info. I was just about to ask about this :)

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Rejected with a 162 LSAT and a 3.91 GPA. VERY upset and a little shocked. I would have gone here.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:44 pm

funkylicks wrote:Can anyone match or beat 'Ready For Review' 12/17? They're certainly going to need to brush away the cob-webs if and when I ever go into review.

That does indeed suck. Much worse than my 12/26.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Rejected with a 162 LSAT and a 3.91 GPA. VERY upset and a little shocked. I would have gone here.

Yikes, sorry to hear about the ding. So, that puts a dent in the YP theory. If you don't mind, can you share your major and whether or not you are in state or out of state?

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
yeff wrote:GPA slightly under median, LSAT well above.

Incidentally, as I glanced at the UW website to double-check the above, I found the following.

LSAT Score and GPA Ranges of 2008 J.D. Applicants
The first figure in each cell represents the number of admission offers made, and the number after the slash represents the total number of applications reviewed. For example, 40/115 in the second row, fifth column, indicates that of the 115 people who applied with a GPA between 3.50 and 3.74 and an LSAT score between 163-165, 40 were offered admission. These data represent 100 percent of all applications reviewed with score on the 180 test scale. This chart should not be used as a gauge of the likelihood of admission, and certainly not as a guarantee.
This information is presented to give applicants some idea of the likelihood of admission. It should be noted, however, that these data can and do change from year to year. In addition, there is some latitude within each category, so that a person presenting credentials at the upper limits of one cell might have an excellent chance for admission, while another applicant at the lower limits might only have a marginal chance. For these reasons, this chart should be used as an approximate gauge of the likelihood of admission and NOT as a guarantee.

So the chart should not be used as a gauge, but should be used as an approximate gauge. Hrm.

59/87 for GPAs from 3.5-3.74 and 166-168 got in? That's not a very high percentage.
17/46 for GPAs from 3.25-3.49 and 166-168?
40/115 for GPAs from 3.5-3.74 and 163-165?

That table is depressing.

Edit: If only my GPA were .02 higher and my LSAT 2 points higher, I'd be in the 44/44 section.

Just an FYI, I clicked on this link again, and it looks like they updated the numbers from the admitted class of 2008 to the admitted class of 2009 (though the LSAT ranges are bigger I think).

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Rejected with a 162 LSAT and a 3.91 GPA. VERY upset and a little shocked. I would have gone here.

No kidding...I would be so incredibly pissed if I were you...especially with those stats. Sorry about that...at least you'll get into some other schools for sure with those numbers.

I, on the other hand, am still waiting to get in review (since 1/11, which admittedly isn't as bad funnylicks and ozarkhack).

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

Incidentally, as I glanced at the UW website to double-check the above, I found the following.

The first figure in each cell represents the number of admission offers made, and the number after the slash represents the total number of applications reviewed. For example, 40/115 in the second row, fifth column, indicates that of the 115 people who applied with a GPA between 3.50 and 3.74 and an LSAT score between 163-165, 40 were offered admission. These data represent 100 percent of all applications reviewed with score on the 180 test scale. This chart should not be used as a gauge of the likelihood of admission, and certainly not as a guarantee.
This information is presented to give applicants some idea of the likelihood of admission. It should be noted, however, that these data can and do change from year to year. In addition, there is some latitude within each category, so that a person presenting credentials at the upper limits of one cell might have an excellent chance for admission, while another applicant at the lower limits might only have a marginal chance. For these reasons, this chart should be used as an approximate gauge of the likelihood of admission and NOT as a guarantee.

So the chart should not be used as a gauge, but should be used as an approximate gauge. Hrm.

59/87 for GPAs from 3.5-3.74 and 166-168 got in? That's not a very high percentage.

Edit: If only my GPA were .02 higher and my LSAT 2 points higher, I'd be in the 44/44 section.

Just an FYI, I clicked on this link again, and it looks like they updated the numbers from the admitted class of 2008 to the admitted class of 2009 (though the LSAT ranges are bigger I think).

Looks like they did. Here is the link: http://www.law.washington.edu/Admissions/Statistics.aspx

Looks like the GPA median fell, though not significantly, and the LSAT median stayed the same, though oddly the 25/75 increased. Interesting to note that the median age jumped from 24 to 26, the percentage of women went from 60 to 48, and the percentage of people with advanced degrees jumped from 12 (I think) to 20%.

Not sure if any of this really means anything for this year, especially given that there have been administrative and staff changes, but interesting none-the-less.

Also, I feel pretty lucky to have been accepted given that people in my LSAT/GPA range were only 44/112, and I was towards the lower end of that range for both GPA and LSAT.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:08 pm

[quote="jcl2*]
Looks like they did. Here is the link: http://www.law.washington.edu/Admissions/Statistics.aspx

Looks like the GPA median fell, though not significantly, and the LSAT median stayed the same, though oddly the 25/75 increased. Interesting to note that the median age jumped from 24 to 26, the percentage of women went from 60 to 48, and the percentage of people with advanced degrees jumped from 12 (I think) to 20%.

Not sure if any of this really means anything for this year, especially given that there have been administrative and staff changes, but interesting none-the-less.

Also, I feel pretty lucky to have been accepted given that people in my LSAT/GPA range were only 44/112, and I was towards the lower end of that range for both GPA and LSAT.[/quote]

Oooh I'm basically a coin flip...that's makes me feel better...but dings like rory and tintins (the only dings i know of where both LSAT and GPA is better than mine) do not.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Also interesting that there was not a single matriculating student that graduated from my UG, which happens to be one of the other state universities in Washington. I wonder if I'll be the only one this year?

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Woo my chances improved (along with Pluginbaby's and ProfitProphets!!)

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

haha wow according to that my chances are worse now than they were before.
also no one my school matriculated there last year. not totally surprising i guess since i'm on east coast. do you think that being from a school that doesn't normally matriculate there is seen as a small soft?

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:25 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

Ouch, this makes my chances seem pretty bleak. Based on the updated chart, no one under 150 was offered admission for 2009, which makes me wonder why would I still be in review six weeks now. Either my app is holding up or they want to make me wait for my eventual ding. This definitely cleared the air.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

akili wrote:Woo my chances improved (along with Pluginbaby's and ProfitProphets!!)

Are you in a favorable column? Or do you mean our chances improved for some other reason. My columns combined makes it a resounding 1/174.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Shoot! I'm sorry. I thought you and Pluginbaby and I were all in the same column. I'm in the 160-164/3.75+

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm

akili wrote:Shoot! I'm sorry. I thought you and Pluginbaby and I were all in the same column. I'm in the 160-164/3.75+

Nope, not me, it's our major that links us. I'm totally cool with my chances, or lack there of. I totally bomb the lsat and really didn't want to take it again. So I took my chances this cycle, so for not so good, but retaking the test is not the worst thing in life. So 2011 it may be after all. Unless some unforeseen miracle occurs and I am that lone applicant (1/174) in 2010.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

Ouch, this makes my chances seem pretty bleak. Based on the updated chart, no one under 150 was offered admission for 2009, which makes me wonder why would I still be in review six weeks now. Either my app is holding up or they want to make me wait for my eventual ding. This definitely cleared the air.[/quote]

Sorry for the unsolicited advise, and I'm sure you have heard it many times before, but you have a good GPA, don't let a bad LSAT score prevent you from going to a good school, re-take the damn thing and apply again next year. Unless, obviously, you get a miracle acceptance this year. There is some great LSAT study advise on this site, check it out and kick ass in June or September.

Sorry again, I usually hate when people give unsolicited advice to retake the lsat without knowing someones situation. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”