U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MBZags

Re: U Washington

Postby MBZags » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:34 pm

doopwooper wrote:Dinged with a 167/3.9. Eep. Oh well. I guess Seattle is out of the cards for me. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting

I have the same numbers, so I guess I'm looking at a ding, too.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:15 pm

MBZags wrote:
doopwooper wrote:Dinged with a 167/3.9. Eep. Oh well. I guess Seattle is out of the cards for me. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting

Um, YP FWIW. 167/3.9 = Above BOTH 75%iles...

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:19 pm

gatorlion wrote:
MBZags wrote:

Schools don't yield protect by rejecting, at least by my understanding.

Yield protecting is by making sure the offers and acceptances is the highest rate possible.

Schools, again in my understanding, yield protect by waitlisting to see if the applicant will even go through the effort of sending a LOCI/LOR and, if they do, what they have to say.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
MBZags wrote:

Schools don't yield protect by rejecting, at least by my understanding.

Yield protecting is by making sure the offers and acceptances is the highest rate possible.

Schools, again in my understanding, yield protect by waitlisting to see if the applicant will even go through the effort of sending a LOCI/LOR and, if they do, what they have to say.

That seems correct concerning most schools, but it look as though UW rarely, if ever, wait lists.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/?whichCycle=0910
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0708/?whichCycle=0910

apurkey

Postby apurkey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Got the acceptance letter in the mail today. I think that whole thing about the status checker going blank not meaning anything is a lie, I went blank on Monday and my letter was dated 2/22.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:
I think where you've been accepted explains it all: If you got accepted to Cornell, would you really pick UW over the former? The adcomms have been doing this for a long time and they know when an applicant can get into many other [higher ranked] schools, so they choose to reject some of those candidates. But I could be entirely wrong.

I agree, some of the rejects may be, I got into [t-14] applicant, so I'll let UW know, or UW finds out from LSN, and then rejects. But to answer you question, yes I would pick UW over the Cornell. Location and $ (and sports).

Send a LOCI if you haven't already done so, let them know UW is No. 1.

Perhaps I might. I think you're supposed to wait for wait list, and I didn't apply until the dead line because I didn't have my LORs in until then, but I think in the next month or so I might have to. I read on TLS that generally you do it if you get a promotion, or something has changed in your status, and nothing has happened to me, but today I got an email telling me I finally passed the fourth and final section of my CPA exam, so perhaps I'll put that in the letter and that will look better for tax/corporate law.

Also, I ran past the UW Law school last night, and it's absolutely gorgeous. I took some pictures of it, but it was real dark by the time I got there. It didn't look like there were that many students there studying, but it was a Thursday night, so that could've been it. The rest of the campus is really nice too (haven't stepped foot on it since 1999), though I couldn't find the Business School for some reason.
Last edited by HerseyChris on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Also, I ran past the UW Law school last night, and it's absolutely gorgeous. I took some pictures of it, but it was real dark by the time I go there. It didn't look like there were that many students there studying, but it was a Thursday night, so that could've been it. The rest of the campus is really nice too (haven't stepped foot on it since 1999), though I couldn't find the Business School for some reason.

Where in Seattle is UW, anyway? I've only visited the city once and didn't actually make it out to the campus.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

j.wellington wrote:
Also, I ran past the UW Law school last night, and it's absolutely gorgeous. I took some pictures of it, but it was real dark by the time I got there. It didn't look like there were that many students there studying, but it was a Thursday night, so that could've been it. The rest of the campus is really nice too (haven't stepped foot on it since 1999), though I couldn't find the Business School for some reason.

Where in Seattle is UW, anyway? I've only visited the city once and didn't actually make it out to the campus.

--ImageRemoved--
It's on the north east side, just above the 520 bridge bordering Lake Washington. The 520 bridge has possibly the worst traffic ever, so that's a real downer if you live on the East Side.
West of UW is Fremont/Greenlake which is supposedly Yuppie-ish.
South of UW is Capitol Hill, which is kind of a mixed neighborhood, but kind of on the younger side?
South West of UW is Queen Anne/Lake Union which is where the Space Needle is. Queen Anne is pretty nice and more family oriented / rich.
East of UW is Laurelhurst, and there are a lot of really nice houses ($5MM to $10MM nice), especially along the water front.

Other Seattleites, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
Last edited by HerseyChris on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Ya, its north on I-5 just across the canal bridge. When you are driving on I-5 north of seattle and going over the canal bridge you can look east and see the campus, the stadium, lake washington, 520 bridge, etc... it's really a gorgeous sight. Kinda makes taking the bus to work at 6-7am worth it when you look east and see the sun rising over the mountains, with the water/bridge/campus in the foregrounds

520 is prob the worst traffic in the state. The bridge itself actually moves well, but the lanes just on either side get really backed up with on-ramp traffic (think sand timer effect). It's taken me an hour to go from bellevue to UW before, and it's just a couple miles. But there are a lot of back roads you can take once you live here a bit and get a feel for the area
Last edited by uwb09 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bees

Postby bees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 pm

HerseyChris wrote:West of UW is Fremont/Greenlake which is supposedly Yuppie-ish.

Haha. Fremont maybe. Greenlake no.

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 pm

bees wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:West of UW is Fremont/Greenlake which is supposedly Yuppie-ish.

Fremont used to be the best area until they moved the "Red Door" and 17 starbucks opened within a two block radius.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:
bees wrote:

Fremont used to be the best area until they moved the "Red Door" and 17 starbucks opened within a two block radius.

Never heard of the Red Door before, but I ran past it last night apparently.

hellomoto

Postby hellomoto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:13 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just got an acceptance letter. I think this is now my number one choice unless I get one of the crazy reaches.

(165/3.6. I am pretty sure they did not average my LSATs, because it was MUCH lower)

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

hellomoto wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just got an acceptance letter. I think this is now my number one choice unless I get one of the crazy reaches.

(165/3.6. I am pretty sure they did not average my LSATs, because it was MUCH lower)

Congratz. When did you blank?

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 pm

rorystewart wrote:

Congrats, and if I may ask, are you in-state or out of state? Or West Coast?

hellomoto

Postby hellomoto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

rorystewart wrote:

Either Friday (2/19) or Monday (2/22). It was in review on Thursday. I wasn't around a computer Friday and I checked on Monday where it was blanked.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:39 pm

I don't know if I buy the YP thing, if you look at lsn, they have accepted lots of people in the 167+ 3.75+ range. Unless they are snooping around on LSN and TLS trying to figure out who people are and who is not likely to attend based on other acceptances; that seems a little far fetched though. Also, lots of the people with high numbers they have accepted do have T14 offers as well. Who knows really, but I think if it were YP there would be more of a pattern and it would be with waitlists not rejections.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:43 pm

gatorlion wrote:
MBZags wrote:

Even if they are YPing, it still sucks because some people with those numbers (me) are actually heavily considering it because of our ties to the area. I am getting anxious over nothing right now, though, since I haven't received a letter either way. Oh well, c'est la vie.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Anyone still awaiting review? I've been this way since 1/11. If I have to wait another month before they finally start reviewing I'm going to kill someone. Then I won't end up going to law school after all. :?

Chudancha

Postby Chudancha » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 pm

What was the date on the letter?

hellomoto

Postby hellomoto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Chudancha wrote:

What was the date on the letter?

Feb. 23

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:08 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Anyone still awaiting review? I've been this way since 1/11. If I have to wait another month before they finally start reviewing I'm going to kill someone. Then I won't end up going to law school after all. :?

Yeah, since 12/29.

yeff

Postby yeff » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

IN through the mail today!

Glad to have the option of returning home (grew up near Seattle), and happy that transmitting my app at 2:55 am PST on January 16th ( :shock: ) proved unproblematic.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 am

yeff wrote:IN through the mail today!

Glad to have the option of returning home (grew up near Seattle), and happy that transmitting my app at 2:55 am PST on January 16th ( :shock: ) proved unproblematic.

Wow...congrats! You're gonna get this question sooner or later....

Stats?

yeff

Postby yeff » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:42 am

GPA slightly under median, LSAT well above.

Incidentally, as I glanced at the UW website to double-check the above, I found the following.

LSAT Score and GPA Ranges of 2008 J.D. Applicants
The first figure in each cell represents the number of admission offers made, and the number after the slash represents the total number of applications reviewed. For example, 40/115 in the second row, fifth column, indicates that of the 115 people who applied with a GPA between 3.50 and 3.74 and an LSAT score between 163-165, 40 were offered admission. These data represent 100 percent of all applications reviewed with score on the 180 test scale. This chart should not be used as a gauge of the likelihood of admission, and certainly not as a guarantee.
This information is presented to give applicants some idea of the likelihood of admission. It should be noted, however, that these data can and do change from year to year. In addition, there is some latitude within each category, so that a person presenting credentials at the upper limits of one cell might have an excellent chance for admission, while another applicant at the lower limits might only have a marginal chance. For these reasons, this chart should be used as an approximate gauge of the likelihood of admission and NOT as a guarantee.

So the chart should not be used as a gauge, but should be used as an approximate gauge. Hrm.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”