U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChairmanWow

Re: U Washington

Postby ChairmanWow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm

j.wellington wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
j.wellington wrote:Somehow LSN is still only showing one rejection and no waitlists: http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats I'm starting to suspect the admissions office is being intentionally confusing.

How so?
Last year, LSN only showed 73 people as being accepted, when they accept 550 or so applicants, and they usually send out mostly acceptances first.

I guess I'm just reacting to the rejections reported here versus the almost complete lack of rejections on LSN, which you'd think would draw members from the same pool. I'm also just antsy and can't entirely understand what's taking so long. It sucks to be accepted to your second choice without even a smoke signal from your first choice. If I could get an answer from UW my decision would be made. It's truly the only pending application I still care about.

In fairness, two of the rejections on LSN don't have GPA's reported. They show up under the applicants tab, but not on the graph.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm

ChairmanWow wrote:
j.wellington wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
j.wellington wrote:Somehow LSN is still only showing one rejection and no waitlists: http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats I'm starting to suspect the admissions office is being intentionally confusing.

How so?
Last year, LSN only showed 73 people as being accepted, when they accept 550 or so applicants, and they usually send out mostly acceptances first.

I guess I'm just reacting to the rejections reported here versus the almost complete lack of rejections on LSN, which you'd think would draw members from the same pool. I'm also just antsy and can't entirely understand what's taking so long. It sucks to be accepted to your second choice without even a smoke signal from your first choice. If I could get an answer from UW my decision would be made. It's truly the only pending application I still care about.

In fairness, two of the rejections on LSN don't have GPA's reported. They show up under the applicants tab, but not on the graph.

Wow, a 165 3.8 got rejected? Waitlisted at Cornell and UVA, accepted at BU, Fordham, and GW?

Like I said, UW is very weird and and hard to predict.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 pm

I guess I'm just reacting to the rejections reported here versus the almost complete lack of rejections on LSN, which you'd think would draw members from the same pool. I'm also just antsy and can't entirely understand what's taking so long. It sucks to be accepted to your second choice without even a smoke signal from your first choice. If I could get an answer from UW my decision would be made. It's truly the only pending application I still care about.[/quote]

In fairness, two of the rejections on LSN don't have GPA's reported. They show up under the applicants tab, but not on the graph.[/quote]
Wow, a 165 3.8 got rejected? Waitlisted at Cornell and UVA, accepted at BU, Fordham, and GW?

Like I said, UW is very weird and and hard to predict.[/quote]
Hope they are taking a holistic look like Berk...

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Has anyone called to find out what's what?

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm

gymboree wrote:Has anyone called to find out what's what?

It's official- a blank status checker means that a decision has been rendered. Spoke to someone in admissions today.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Neelio wrote:

It's official- a blank status checker means that a decision has been rendered. Spoke to someone in admissions today.

:? Well where's mine then? It's been more than a week, and I'm only in AZ, not across the country.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm

It is interesting looking at the lsn graphs for the last few years that, unlike many schools, UW seems to have quite a few scattered rejections in what one would assume to be their auto-admit range, as well as a few acceptances in what should be their auto-reject range. This makes me think that there must be some other criteria that they do take seriously besides just numbers. There are too many rejections in the auto-admit zone for those to all be the result of some major error on the application, like sending the wrong PS, and too few and to scattered to indicate YP. There are also too many acceptances in the auto-reject zone, for them to have all been Nobel prize winners, combat veterans, or Olympic athletes. I wonder what it is.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Neelio wrote:

:? Well where's mine then? It's been more than a week, and I'm only in AZ, not across the country.

Damn... no idea. That's just what the lady on the phone said. You could probably call and ask on your decision status. they might give it you.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Neelio wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Neelio wrote:

Damn... no idea. That's just what the lady on the phone said. You could probably call and ask on your decision status. they might give it you.

Eep. I'm too scared to call. I did that for Cornell on Christmas Eve and got rejected.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 pm

don't be superstitious!! Just dooooo it. The lady working the front desk today is super nice. She overheard me listening to the healthcare debate and we bs'd about it for almost 10 minutes, fwiw

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:51 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Neelio wrote:

+1, but I'm in CA. I was thinking of calling if I hadn't heard by the end of the week. I just don't want to annoy them or anything...I know they must be crazy busy right now.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Neelio wrote:don't be superstitious!! Just dooooo it. The lady working the front desk today is super nice. She overheard me listening to the healthcare debate and we bs'd about it for almost 10 minutes, fwiw

Hmm, they must be at lunch.

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

Ugh mine went blank last week...and I live in NC. This is going to take forever. Why can't they just e-mail me to tell me that I got rejected (my most likely guess...)

yeff

Postby yeff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:54 pm

A rejection with 165/3.8 is not to be expected, but not unheard of either. From the UW brochure, 71/99 with 3.75+ and 163-165 were accepted.

Things may be slightly different this year, but according to their own publication, UW had a nearly 100% acceptance rate for those with 3.75+ and 166+ OR 169+ and 3.5+. 166 out of 168 in these categories were accepted.
Last edited by yeff on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm

I guess I'm just reacting to the rejections reported here versus the almost complete lack of rejections on LSN, which you'd think would draw members from the same pool. I'm also just antsy and can't entirely understand what's taking so long. It sucks to be accepted to your second choice without even a smoke signal from your first choice. If I could get an answer from UW my decision would be made. It's truly the only pending application I still care about.[/quote]

In fairness, two of the rejections on LSN don't have GPA's reported. They show up under the applicants tab, but not on the graph.[/quote]

Like I said, UW is very weird and and hard to predict.[/quote]

I think where you've been accepted explains it all: If you got accepted to Cornell, would you really pick UW over the former? The adcomms have been doing this for a long time and they know when an applicant can get into many other [higher ranked] schools, so they choose to reject some of those candidates. But I could be entirely wrong.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 pm

jcl2 wrote:It is interesting looking at the lsn graphs for the last few years that, unlike many schools, UW seems to have quite a few scattered rejections in what one would assume to be their auto-admit range, as well as a few acceptances in what should be their auto-reject range. This makes me think that there must be some other criteria that they do take seriously besides just numbers. There are too many rejections in the auto-admit zone for those to all be the result of some major error on the application, like sending the wrong PS, and too few and to scattered to indicate YP. There are also too many acceptances in the auto-reject zone, for them to have all been Nobel prize winners, combat veterans, or Olympic athletes. I wonder what it is.

Hopefully they do take more into account over just numbers. I know a lsat score is important, but it shouldn't account for everything (like some schools). Maybe UW is focused on putting together an interesting diverse class, and not everyone with fine numbers are interesting or diverse. Plus what does auto-reject really mean? But I digress...

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:
I think where you've been accepted explains it all: If you got accepted to Cornell, would you really pick UW over the former? The adcomms have been doing this for a long time and they know when an applicant can get into many other [higher ranked] schools, so they choose to reject some of those candidates. But I could be entirely wrong.

I agree, some of the rejects may be, I got into [t-14] applicant, so I'll let UW know, or UW finds out from LSN, and then rejects. But to answer you question, yes I would pick UW over the Cornell. Location and $ (and sports).

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:10 pm

When did the blank screeners go complete? I went complete in early December, in review on 2/5, and have never gotten the blank screen. My numbers are in that outside looking in range and I wonder if they are just taking a long hard look at everything.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:When did the blank screeners go complete? I went complete in early December, in review on 2/5, and have never gotten the blank screen. My numbers are in that outside looking in range and I wonder if they are just taking a long hard look at everything.

I was complete in November, and I think In Review at the end of December or beginning of January. I've been blank since last week sometime, though I'm not sure the exact day.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Haha, I just called, and the guy said it DOESN'T mean anything. Sigh. Someone needs to make up their mind. :P

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Haha, I just called, and the guy said it DOESN'T mean anything. Sigh. Someone needs to make up their mind. :P

really??? wow... I don't know what to believe anymore. This is unbelievable.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Neelio wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Haha, I just called, and the guy said it DOESN'T mean anything. Sigh. Someone needs to make up their mind. :P

really??? wow... I don't know what to believe anymore. This is unbelievable.

Yup. However, he did say "the last status you saw was In Review, right?" - so it's only people who were in review. I dunno, I still think it means a decision, and I just haven't gotten one yet.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:When did the blank screeners go complete? I went complete in early December, in review on 2/5, and have never gotten the blank screen. My numbers are in that outside looking in range and I wonder if they are just taking a long hard look at everything.

Honestly, I think they are taking a long hard look (holistic) approach for this class. I can only speak anecdotally, but I have been in review since 1/21 (still there) and as someone mentioned earlier, my lsat score would fall into the "auto-reject" pile; however, the rest of my app has it all: grades, perseverance, overcoming obstacles, URM, etc., etc. So, all I can do is remain hopeful considering that I haven't already received a ding. IMO, it doesn't take that long to say no, so hopefully it means YES!!!!!!! But, I'm also practical so retaking the test and applying again next year may be in the stars.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:25 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:

I agree, some of the rejects may be, I got into [t-14] applicant, so I'll let UW know, or UW finds out from LSN, and then rejects. But to answer you question, yes I would pick UW over the Cornell. Location and $ (and sports).

Send a LOCI if you haven't already done so, let them know UW is No. 1.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:

Honestly, I think they are taking a long hard look (holistic) approach for this class. I can only speak anecdotally, but I have been in review since 1/21 (still there) and as someone mentioned earlier, my lsat score would fall into the "auto-reject" pile; however, the rest of my app has it all: grades, perseverance, overcoming obstacles, URM, etc., etc. So, all I can do is remain hopeful considering that I haven't already received a ding. IMO, it doesn't take that long to say no, so hopefully it means YES!!!!!!! But, I'm also practical so retaking the test and applying again next year may be in the stars.

That is exactly what I am hoping for and was thinking. Let's hope there is room for three affable sociology major scores with killer GPAs and so-so LSATs (me, you, and akili).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”