U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm

jcl2 wrote:
doopwooper wrote:For those that place UW as a top choice, what distguishes this school to you from other law schools?

As with the other posters who responded, location was one of the main factors. For lifestyle reasons, but also because of proximity to family and friends, I hope to stay in the Northwest after law school, and I definitely don't want to leave the western US. I really wasn't even willing to leave the west for law school. UW is the best school in the west outside of CA, and really the only schools that would possibly provide better opportunities in the NW are the T14, and probably not even all of the T14. UW is also pretty inexpensive, especially with in-state tuition. It was an easy decision for me over similarly ranked schools, really the only schools I would have chosen over UW were Berkeley and Stanford, obviously I didn't get in to either.


I think those would be my only two over UW as well, but everyone has a lot of respect for Stanford and Berkeley, especially west coast people.

benetnash
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby benetnash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm

I think the 'blanking out' of status checkers seems too systematic to be an error. I remember reading the posts of several individuals whose statuses had gone blank before mine had changed, then, the next day, mine was blank as well. About three days after I got the acceptance letter. Could that have just been a coincidence? The checkers still seem to be going blank one at a time... and most seem to be producing decisions. Granted I know nothing about computer tech, but if there was some kind of problem with the server or something wouldn't they have all gone blank at the same time?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby chrisokc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 pm

benetnash wrote:I think the 'blanking out' of status checkers seems too systematic to be an error. I remember reading the posts of several individuals whose statuses had gone blank before mine had changed, then, the next day, mine was blank as well. About three days after I got the acceptance letter. Could that have just been a coincidence? The checkers still seem to be going blank one at a time... and most seem to be producing decisions. Granted I know nothing about computer tech, but if there was some kind of problem with the server or something wouldn't they have all gone blank at the same time?

Agreed.

User avatar
nonsequitur
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby nonsequitur » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 pm

I went blank last Wednesday, and live near Seattle. Got my letter in the mail today - rejected.

Was a little surprised since so few people had gotten letters. I thought the first batch would be acceptances only. Looks like the rejections are on their way already.

User avatar
ProfitsProphets
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

Re: U Washington

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:19 am

So much for the status checker going blank last week meaning acceptances. It appears the dreaded rejection letters are finally coming. :cry:

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: U Washington

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Sorry to hear that negative responses appear to be making their way to you guys. Perhaps it is good then that I'm still R4R as of 12/29....

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 pm

nonsequitur wrote:I went blank last Wednesday, and live near Seattle. Got my letter in the mail today - rejected.

Was a little surprised since so few people had gotten letters. I thought the first batch would be acceptances only. Looks like the rejections are on their way already.


I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Luckily, L&C is a great school, and who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii? So you have some good tough choices to make.

Edit: I'm surprised you got rejected though. You're in-state with a 164 and extensive work experience in different areas, though the no-grades thing is a bit confusing.

Chudancha
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Chudancha » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
nonsequitur wrote:I went blank last Wednesday, and live near Seattle. Got my letter in the mail today - rejected.

Was a little surprised since so few people had gotten letters. I thought the first batch would be acceptances only. Looks like the rejections are on their way already.


I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Luckily, L&C is a great school, and who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii? So you have some good tough choices to make.

Edit: I'm surprised you got rejected though. You're in-state with a 164 and extensive work experience in different areas, though the no-grades thing is a bit confusing.


On LSN he reports to have submitted his app on 10/1/09. So there is two unique things about his applications. They could just be going over them again from the start.

Pro Boner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Pro Boner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa. According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?

Good luck to everyone else. I have quickly become bitter--I am glad I am not going to that drab, grungy city.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Pro Boner wrote:Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa.


Ouch, sorry. :cry:

Pro Boner wrote:According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?


It would be a 7% acceptance rate if they only accepted 180 people. However, if they did that, they'd have to assume everyone they accepted will attend. So no, odds are they accept at least twice that, probably more.

User avatar
thestoryends
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 am

Re: U Washington

Postby thestoryends » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Pro Boner wrote:Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa. According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?

Good luck to everyone else. I have quickly become bitter--I am glad I am not going to that drab, grungy city.


wow. where do you live/when did your status checker change?

Pro Boner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Pro Boner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Is this a yield protection thing?

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Pro Boner wrote:Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa. According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?

Good luck to everyone else. I have quickly become bitter--I am glad I am not going to that drab, grungy city.


Sorry to hear that... when by chance did you apply/go in review?

User avatar
thestoryends
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 am

Re: U Washington

Postby thestoryends » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Pro Boner wrote:Is this a yield protection thing?


usually that would result in a waitlist... right? i'm bracing myself for a BURN from UW now.

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Pro Boner wrote:Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa. According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?

Good luck to everyone else. I have quickly become bitter--I am glad I am not going to that drab, grungy city.


Dammit, thats sucks. That's one of the things I like least about UW, they seem to reject a lot of really good candidates. Most schools don't reject someone at or above 75% for both GPA and LSAT. With these last two rejections, I'm back to being paranoid and worried again.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Pro Boner wrote:Rejected with a 166 and 3.9 @ Public Ivy. Whoa. According to letter, "2600 applications for... 180 positions." My math is rusty, but isn't that a 7% acceptance rate?

Good luck to everyone else. I have quickly become bitter--I am glad I am not going to that drab, grungy city.


Dammit, thats sucks. That's one of the things I like least about UW, they seem to reject a lot of really good candidates. Most schools don't reject someone at or above 75% for both GPA and LSAT. With these last two rejections, I'm back to being paranoid and worried again.


same here... now that I'm on the WL at Berk, I really want UW. Getting nervous...

Pro Boner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Pro Boner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

To answer questions, I haven't really checked my status but have waited a really long time like everyone else (I applied in early October) and am from TX. Their website blows.

However bitter this may sound considering I just got rejected, I have been very displeased with UW's admissions process. I was excited about possibly going there. But with NO out-of-state app fee waivers to the brutally long wait to my poor experiences over the phone I was already apprehensive about going there.

Good luck to all else. Hopefully, you have had better experiences.


PS Hope U W stagnates in the 30 spot for eternity

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Pro Boner wrote:To answer questions, I haven't really checked my status but have waited a really long time like everyone else (I applied in early October) and am from TX. Their website blows.

However bitter this may sound considering I just got rejected, I have been very displeased with UW's admissions process. I was excited about possibly going there. But with NO out-of-state app fee waivers to the brutally long wait to my poor experiences over the phone I was already apprehensive about going there.

Good luck to all else. Hopefully, you have had better experiences.


PS Hope U W stagnates in the 30 spot for eternity


Well, sorry again to hear the bad news. With your stats, I'm sure you'll get into a great school anyways. No problem from my end with the animosity towards UW. It's completely understandable, though I personally hope they climb the rankings even if I don't get in.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: U Washington

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

If i get dinged from U-Dub (I'd be disappointed but not surprised) and Seattle U doesn't offer me a competitive scholarship offer off the waitlist...I am going to have animosity toward the whole city of Seattle...which is too bad because for now its my favorite city.

User avatar
j.wellington
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: U Washington

Postby j.wellington » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Pro Boner wrote:However bitter this may sound considering I just got rejected, I have been very displeased with UW's admissions process. I was excited about possibly going there. But with NO out-of-state app fee waivers to the brutally long wait to my poor experiences over the phone I was already apprehensive about going there.

Good luck to all else. Hopefully, you have had better experiences.


What were your bad experiences over the phone? They certainly don't seem in a hurry, but I've found them very polite and helpful.

User avatar
rhapsodyinazul
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby rhapsodyinazul » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Don't freak out just yet. Got my acceptance letter a few days ago. 171/3.9, applied early November.

I go to UW now, though, for UG.

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:46 pm

rhapsodyinazul wrote:Don't freak out just yet. Got my acceptance letter a few days ago. 171/3.9, applied early November.

I go to UW now, though, for UG.


Those stats don't make me feel any better...

User avatar
algren
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Re: U Washington

Postby algren » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
rhapsodyinazul wrote:Don't freak out just yet. Got my acceptance letter a few days ago. 171/3.9, applied early November.

I go to UW now, though, for UG.


Those stats don't make me feel any better...


Yeah, 171/3.9? I would hope you're just fine there.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: U Washington

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Admissions seem completely random this year.

Just got my letter of you suck.

Weird. People with lower stats than me and out of state have gotten in.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:16 pm

kalvano wrote:Admissions seem completely random this year.

Just got my letter of you suck.

Weird. People with lower stats than me and out of state have gotten in.


Sorry to hear that... when did you apply by chance? and did your status checker change at all?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], Houzy, mav1993, mlp12, pahuber2, ramp_999 and 23 guests