U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
taytay

Re: U Washington

Postby taytay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

unfortunately I applied at the deadline so if those who went complete mid december are just starting to get decisions it looks like I have a while to wait :( washington doesn't take feb lsats though do they?

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 pm

thestoryends wrote:have UW's decision batches been uniform in the past? like all acceptances or all W/L on certain days?

No they haven't. I think it's been the first initial batch is all acceptances, and from there it's either or. But so far it's just acceptances, and they have a new dean and staff I believe, so it's tough to tell by looking at the past.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

taytay wrote:unfortunately I applied at the deadline so if those who went complete mid december are just starting to get decisions it looks like I have a while to wait :( washington doesn't take feb lsats though do they?

On their site it says that December is the latest you can take the test to meet the January 15 deadline and that the February results come out after most decisions have been made and might reduce your chances of admission. It doesn't say they don't accept February scores. If a decision still hasn't been made, an improved score in February would probably help you. Since that score is coming our pretty soon and you haven't gotten a decision yet, you might want call them to let them know now that you will have a new score when the February results come out and ask if they will consider it.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
thestoryends wrote:have UW's decision batches been uniform in the past? like all acceptances or all W/L on certain days?

No they haven't. I think it's been the first initial batch is all acceptances, and from there it's either or. But so far it's just acceptances, and they have a new dean and staff I believe, so it's tough to tell by looking at the past.

Yeah, last year they started sending out rejections as well as acceptances in the beginning of February, but who knows for this year.

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:19 pm

So...my application status check no longer says "decision pending". In fact, it no longer even has a status section. For those who have received their decisions-

if you have been admitted does it make a note of that?

I'm pretty sure they rejected me.....but that's ok because Lewis and Clark gave me a whole mess of $$.....

I still think its odd though that instead of writing "decision made" they just took away the status section entirely....

Fecta23

Postby Fecta23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Did anyone else not get a conformation email?

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Fecta23 wrote:Did anyone else not get a conformation email?

confirmation that they received your app?

Fecta23

Postby Fecta23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Neelio wrote:

Yeah, me and my friend both didnt receive emails from the school.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Fecta23 wrote:
Neelio wrote:

Yeah, me and my friend both didnt receive emails from the school.

When did you apply? It took me about 5-7 business days before I got the confirmation email.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:53 pm

I just had a guided tour today with someone high up in the administration and sat in on a medical malpractice lecture.

The law school building is great and the people are friendly. In the small class (approx 20) there was a willingness to offer answers without reprisal from the professor and the class was interesting and engaging. The law library is lit by natural light through huge skylights, which is nice: and it seemed as though there was plenty of space for everyone to spread out with all of their stuff.

In terms of admissions the lady told me that they have auto-admit and auto-reject groups which get their primary attention. Following this initial batch of acceptances and rejections they go on to the huge group in the middle and make decisions based on the LSDAS score (hybrid of lsat and gpa) and 'other factors'. She said that if you have an interesting application you stand a better chance, but I have no way of knowing if this is just the standard line that all schools seem to push.

She also said that applications are up 15% from last year, but did not mention if the overall quality of applications has risen, only the total amount.

Just thought i'd share. HTH

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 pm

kevin261186 wrote:I just had a guided tour today with someone high up in the administration and sat in on a medical malpractice lecture.

The law school building is great and the people are friendly. In the small class (approx 20) there was a willingness to offer answers without reprisal from the professor and the class was interesting and engaging. The law library is lit by natural light through huge skylights, which is nice: and it seemed as though there was plenty of space for everyone to spread out with all of their stuff.

In terms of admissions the lady told me that they have auto-admit and auto-reject groups which get their primary attention. Following this initial batch of acceptances and rejections they go on to the huge group in the middle and make decisions based on the LSDAS score (hybrid of lsat and gpa) and 'other factors'. She said that if you have an interesting application you stand a better chance, but I have no way of knowing if this is just the standard line that all schools seem to push.

She also said that applications are up 15% from last year, but did not mention if the overall quality of applications has risen, only the total amount.

Did they say if taking a guided tour increases your chance of an acceptance? Perhaps I should sign up.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
kevin261186 wrote:I just had a guided tour today with someone high up in the administration and sat in on a medical malpractice lecture.

Did they say if taking a guided tour increases your chance of an acceptance? Perhaps I should sign up.

I hope so, I made the trip from NYC to visit!!

algren

Postby algren » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Thank you very much for your impressions. It's always helpful to have first hand information from other prospectives.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 pm

HerseyChris wrote:

The lady on the tour said that when it comes to waitlists there is often a benefit to having a name that they recognise. Going on a tour and letting them see your intent is a great way to this. But she did say that this will be more beneficial for the waitlisted people and not so important for those without the numbers.

She also said not to be disheartened by the waitlist. She gave me some nice examples of people who have succeeded on the waitlist. She also told me a story about a guy a while back who had to transfer in from a lower ranked school as he got rejected and ended up finishing top of his class. Good things can happen with persistence.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm

kevin261186 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

The lady on the tour said that when it comes to waitlists there is often a benefit to having a name that they recognise. Going on a tour and letting them see your intent is a great way to this. But she did say that this will be more beneficial for the waitlisted people and not so important for those without the numbers.

She also said not to be disheartened by the waitlist. She gave me some nice examples of people who have succeeded on the waitlist. She also told me a story about a guy a while back who had to transfer in from a lower ranked school as he got rejected and ended up finishing top of his class. Good things can happen with persistence.

Cool. Did they hint at any new changes the new Dean might bring about? Either with direction of the school or changes in what they look for in the admissions process, etc?

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:31 pm

HerseyChris wrote:

Hope Dean Rodgriguez remembers a midwestern girl who recommended some good deep dish pizza places before the dean's trip to Chicago. :)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Assuming I am lucky enough to get in, does scholarship info come with the packet, or is it at a later date?

Please be with the packet, waiting twice is maddening.

seattleguy

Postby seattleguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Assuming I am lucky enough to get in, does scholarship info come with the packet, or is it at a later date?

Please be with the packet, waiting twice is maddening.

I agree, I'm pretty sure I'd pay sticker if I got into UW, but getting the info would really make my decision easy.

ppljones

Postby ppljones » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

I was accepted last week and the status updates on my status checker are now blank. My acceptance letter came in a small envelope. I don't exactly have merit-based scholarship numbers so I can't say whether the scholarship info comes with the acceptance or not? Good luck to everyone and I hope to see you at UW next year!
Last edited by ppljones on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Finally got my acceptance letter, very happy.

UW does not offer merit-based scholarships, or at least, they have not in past years.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Finally got my acceptance letter, very happy.

UW does not offer merit-based scholarships, or at least, they have not in past years.

Congrats BD!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:40 pm

barrydukakis wrote:UW does not offer merit-based scholarships, or at least, they have not in past years.

That sucks.

But $32K first year, $22K last two years.

Is getting resident status easy?

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
barrydukakis wrote:UW does not offer merit-based scholarships, or at least, they have not in past years.

That sucks.

I hear its next to impossible for the state of Washington in terms of paying in state tuition.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
kalvano wrote:

That sucks.

I hear its next to impossible for the state of Washington in terms of paying in state tuition.

TITCR - don't bank on it like you would in Cali.

Admissions person said there is not change to how they admit students, same old LSAT/GPA equation that we have all grown to love.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 pm

So, if you're out-of-state, even with decent numbers, it's $95K or so to attend school there?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”