U Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HerseyChris

Bronze

Re: U Washington

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 am

cougit wrote:Not applying to UW because I have a severe problem with everything purple and gold :wink:
nonetheless... go cougs :)
You guys are going down this Saturday. We're not losing the Apple Cup this year. Last year was just a fluke.
Man has the Apple Cup gone downhill recently, I remember when it used to be a good rivalry between two good pac-10 schools. Now it's a contest to not be the worst pac-10 team.

cougit

New

Post by cougit » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:28 am

HerseyChris wrote:
cougit wrote:Not applying to UW because I have a severe problem with everything purple and gold :wink:
nonetheless... go cougs :)
You guys are going down this Saturday. We're not losing the Apple Cup this year. Last year was just a fluke.
Man has the Apple Cup gone downhill recently, I remember when it used to be a good rivalry between two good pac-10 schools. Now it's a contest to not be the worst pac-10 team.
Martin Stadium last year was incredible. But, I might have to agree with you. Unfortunately I already sold my soul for last year's win so I'm hoping another coug will sell theirs this year. I'd hate to lose the Apple Cup my senior year.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:55 am

HerseyChris wrote:
roxj wrote:I'm not applying to UW Law because I was born and raised here (and a soon-to-be UW alum). Basically, I'm really ready to experience somewhere new. But I have to throw UW some cred. Seattle's great, the campus is beautiful, and I actually love the weather here. It's never too hot or too cold, and the rain makes you want to cuddle up and study. If anyone has any questions about the campus, I've spent the last four years on it...
I've been to the UG campus, but not the law school. Is it separate from the rest of the school? I believe it's on the west side of campus as well, correct?

Are you not wanting to come back to the NW eventually? Because if you did want to work in Seattle, it would seem like UW would be the best option outside of a t-14 or possibly UCLA.
The law school is right on the main campus, on the northwest side. I've heard a lot of people joke about how there are more ugrads in the law library than actual law students. I'm definitely open to coming back to the NW. I've gotten into Michigan and Gtown so far, so it should be an option.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 am

roxj wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
roxj wrote:I'm not applying to UW Law because I was born and raised here (and a soon-to-be UW alum). Basically, I'm really ready to experience somewhere new. But I have to throw UW some cred. Seattle's great, the campus is beautiful, and I actually love the weather here. It's never too hot or too cold, and the rain makes you want to cuddle up and study. If anyone has any questions about the campus, I've spent the last four years on it...
I've been to the UG campus, but not the law school. Is it separate from the rest of the school? I believe it's on the west side of campus as well, correct?

Are you not wanting to come back to the NW eventually? Because if you did want to work in Seattle, it would seem like UW would be the best option outside of a t-14 or possibly UCLA.
The law school is right on the main campus, on the northwest side. I've heard a lot of people joke about how there are more ugrads in the law library than actual law students. I'm definitely open to coming back to the NW. I've gotten into Michigan and Gtown so far, so it should be an option.
I see, can't blame you for choosing t-14 over UW, especially in this job market. I'll probably do the same if my Dec LSAT is anywhere near my practice tests. I hear it's easier to go biglaw at a t-14 in Seattle than it is to go biglaw from UW anyways.

What are undergrads doing in the law library... For some reason I view this as a bad thing... I'd rather have it be quiet and prestigious, not filled with loud bratty 19 year olds.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:20 pm

roxj wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

The old law school was in a dingy looking office building off campus to the west, the new one is on the main campus. Thank goodness for Bill Gates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:24 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
roxj wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

I see, can't blame you for choosing t-14 over UW, especially in this job market. I'll probably do the same if my Dec LSAT is anywhere near my practice tests. I hear it's easier to go biglaw at a t-14 in Seattle than it is to go biglaw from UW anyways.

What are undergrads doing in the law library... For some reason I view this as a bad thing... I'd rather have it be quiet and prestigious, not filled with loud bratty 19 year olds.
True, it's just so much nicer than the other libraries on campus. Don't worry though, there's a study area reserved for law students only, and it's always quiet in there, you won't even notice the kids.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:00 pm

Some Cougar jokes for cougit and this upcoming Apple Cup(some are repeats, some are lame, some have misspellings).

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2009/11/24/1 ... #storyjump

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:18 am

It'll be great when we finally have a year when the Apple Cup isn't just to decide who's the absolute worst team in the Pac-10

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 pm

FYI http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/ ... ional.html

Out of state students can definitely get in-state tuition after their first year. You have to apply for residency and if you fail to overcome the presumption that you are in Washington primarily for educational purposes, the school will provide you a waiver for the difference in tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alpine

New

Post by Alpine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I am applying next year, but I am under the impression that UW doesn't give merit based aid to out-of-state students, is this true? Though, that graduate student waiver is pretty hefty, regardless. Also, is it correct to assume that lower T14 schools will place significantly better in Seattle, or will a diploma for UW fair better? I can't seem to find any information that says one way or the other. All I have heard are rumors that say Seattle is near impossible to break into as a fresh-out graduate.

cougit

New

Post by cougit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Alpine wrote:I am applying next year, but I am under the impression that UW doesn't give merit based aid to out-of-state students, is this true? Though, that graduate student waiver is pretty hefty, regardless. Also, is it correct to assume that lower T14 schools will place significantly better in Seattle, or will a diploma for UW fair better? I can't seem to find any information that says one way or the other. All I have heard are rumors that say Seattle is near impossible to break into as a fresh-out graduate.
From what I've seen, the Seattle legal market is full of UW and Seattle U grads, but I think that's more self-selection than anything. Most T14 grads are not going to choose Seattle if they can avoid it (which is silly, if you ask me, I love Seattle). UW has a pretty good hold on the market, and I'm not sure Cornell or Gtown is going to get you much of a boost over UW, but you'd probably have a equal shot.

Alpine

New

Post by Alpine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:54 pm

cougit wrote:
Alpine wrote:I am applying next year, but I am under the impression that UW doesn't give merit based aid to out-of-state students, is this true? Though, that graduate student waiver is pretty hefty, regardless. Also, is it correct to assume that lower T14 schools will place significantly better in Seattle, or will a diploma for UW fair better? I can't seem to find any information that says one way or the other. All I have heard are rumors that say Seattle is near impossible to break into as a fresh-out graduate.
From what I've seen, the Seattle legal market is full of UW and Seattle U grads, but I think that's more self-selection than anything. Most T14 grads are not going to choose Seattle if they can avoid it (which is silly, if you ask me, I love Seattle). UW has a pretty good hold on the market, and I'm not sure Cornell or Gtown is going to get you much of a boost over UW, but you'd probably have a equal shot.
Okay, thanks for the insight, Cougit.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I went to a reception for pre-law students at Perkins Coie, which is one of the bigger, fancier Seattle-based firms. They said that of the current first year associates, the only non-UW/SU grads were from Columbia and Yale. Basically, UW is the best for the local market, unless you go t14 or have ties to Seattle (ie from here originally, go away to law school). I don't think you'd have trouble coming out of Gtown/NW/Cornell etc. But like someone already said, you wouldn't necessarily have an advantage either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Just went under review today (complete 11/2)... do you think they'll get any admissions decisions out before the winter break? Probably too much to hope for, but I am REALLY hoping for good news from UW!!

(first-time poster here... been lurking for a long time, finally had to give in and join the TLS fray! :roll: )

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:35 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Just went under review today (complete 11/2)... do you think they'll get any admissions decisions out before the winter break? Probably too much to hope for, but I am REALLY hoping for good news from UW!!

(first-time poster here... been lurking for a long time, finally had to give in and join the TLS fray! :roll: )
Good luck. According to LSN, last year, only 6 people hear back before February, the earliest being on Jan 7th.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... r=desc&p=2

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Just went under review today (complete 11/2)... do you think they'll get any admissions decisions out before the winter break? Probably too much to hope for, but I am REALLY hoping for good news from UW!!

Good luck. According to LSN, last year, only 6 people hear back before February, the earliest being on Jan 7th.

Though 12 people did get in around Christmas time the year before.
Last edited by HerseyChris on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:45 pm

That would be a pretty awesome Christmas present... I'll even make it home to WA for it. Hint, hint, UW. :)

Anyone else go under review yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Also under review as of today. This is a relief, as it was only a few days between "Form B missing" (called after that had stuck there for a week and they had received it but not updated status to reflect that) and "Under Review." Hope it's a quick review.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:06 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:That would be a pretty awesome Christmas present... I'll even make it home to WA for it. Hint, hint, UW. :)

Anyone else go under review yet?
Yeah it would be a good present. I was actually going to stop by UW tomorrow after my LSAT retake and buy a UW Law sweatshirt for my mom for Christmas, but I forgot about the UW Cal Football game at 3:30, and I don't really want to drive around campus during a game. Maybe next week.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:15 pm

If it is anything like last year, I wouldn't expect to hear before early February. Then again, I don't know if anyone was "under review" this early last year, so maybe they are changing things up.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 am

Looks like there was at least one acceptance last week on LSN:

http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... &order=asc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:36 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Looks like there was at least one acceptance last week on LSN:

Thanks for sharing. Somehow I think she's going to a t-14 instead. I'm surprised she hasn't been JR2ed already.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I will be shocked if this woman doesn't end up at Yale or Stanford. Still, they must be doing something different this year because there were no acceptances until late January last year.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:42 pm

ChairmanWow

New

Post by ChairmanWow » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:17 pm

jcl2 wrote:

I will be shocked if this woman doesn't end up at Yale or Stanford. Still, they must be doing something different this year because there were no acceptances until late January last year.

Any chance this is a WUStL typo? According to LSN they released a big batch on Friday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”