U Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TTTennis

Bronze

Re: U Washington

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am

akili wrote:I think I'm a long shot with 160/3.8. Holding out hope that they want my GPA?
+8473205874309587 :lol:

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 am

cdd_04 wrote:
akili wrote:I think I'm a long shot with 160/3.8. Holding out hope that they want my GPA?
Want to start a prayer group? I would be ecstatic if UW accepted me...It's by far my top choice.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 am

I'm holding out hope that my 164, which is above median but not quite 75th, is enough to overcome my crap GPA and out-of-state status. That, combined with the fact I've been out of school for 4 years, gives me some small sliver of hope.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 am

good luck to all of you. let's hope that they give some of us long-shots a chance!

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am

I'm not sure if this will squelch or stoke everyone's anxiety, but I got my offer of admission in the mail this afternoon. Status checker reads: "Decision Delivered Via US Mail" 2/5/2010. And I applied late November, complete mid-December.

One other thing: my decision came in a fairly plain, regular-sized envelope and only included a 2 pg letter...so I thought it was bad news at first. Very glad it wasn't.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:44 am

buddyblack wrote:I'm not sure if this will squelch or stoke everyone's anxiety, but I got my offer of admission in the mail this afternoon. Status checker reads: "Decision Delivered Via US Mail" 2/5/2010. And I applied late November, complete mid-December.

One other thing: my decision came in a fairly plain, regular-sized envelope and only included a 2 pg letter...so I thought it was bad news at first. Very glad it wasn't.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Congrats! is U Washington one of your top choices?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 am

akili wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
Want to start a prayer group? I would be ecstatic if UW accepted me...It's by far my top choice.
Dear Lord,

I know you love all your children equally, however, tonight I ask that you forget about that nonsense. Please love me and akili more than the rest. In fact, because I hate being selfish (some may even say I'm benevolent), I ask that you only love us more than you love exactly two other University of Washington applicants that would have previously been admitted if it were not for us. These applicants can have either better or worse scores than we do; I leave that to your discretion. Once we have been admitted --with generous scholarship packages, or not--you can stop loving us more than the said two other applicants. Once we begin our studies, however, I ask that you continue to love us more than all the other University of Washington 1Ls so that we may outperform them and secure high-paying jobs. After that, you are free to love us less if you so choose; but please don't.

P.S. I wouldn't mind driving around a new Audi R8 while in law school so as to secure a nice Christian wife :D Because, as you are well-aware, I'm way too big of a d-bag to get a girlfriend based off of my personality alone. Thank you for being understanding.

Amen.

Does that help?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 am

cdd_04 wrote:
akili wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
Dear Lord,

I know you love all your children equally, however, tonight I ask that you forget about that nonsense. Please love me and akili more than the rest. In fact, because I hate being selfish (some may even say I'm benevolent), I ask that you only love us more than you love exactly two other University of Washington applicants that would have previously been admitted if it were not for us. These applicants can have either better or worse scores than we do; I leave that to your discretion. Once we have been admitted --with generous scholarship packages, or not--you can stop loving us more than the said two other applicants. Once we begin our studies, however, I ask that you continue to love us more than all the other University of Washington 1Ls so that we may outperform them and secure high-paying jobs. After that, you are free to love us less if you so choose; but please don't.

P.S. I wouldn't mind driving around a new Audi R8 while in law school so as to secure a nice Christian wife :D Because, as you are well-aware, I'm way too big of a d-bag to get a girlfriend based off of my personality alone. Thank you for being understanding.

Amen.

Does that help?
Amen. Amen. Amen.
I go to a Christian university so I'll see if I can get some pull with Jesus from this side. With our powers combined...... :lol:

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

kalvano wrote:I'm holding out hope that my 164, which is above median but not quite 75th, is enough to overcome my crap GPA and out-of-state status. That, combined with the fact I've been out of school for 4 years, gives me some small sliver of hope.
Yes, I am this type of splitter. 164 here as well, and I've been out 5 years.

These other guys are praying, maybe we should sacrifice something? Other than our GPA's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

Count me in the camp that's worried about GPA. Their numbers from last year seem to indicate they value that over LSAT. I do think I have some interesting "softs" to offer, but the 700-word essay limit kind of stymied my ability to tell my story, and gave me the impression that they're more of a show-me-the-stats kind of school anyway.

I'm a little surprised with myself about how badly I want this one. I could get into Berkeley and I'd shrug, but an acceptance letter from UW would have me singing from the balcony.

Also: The 70% in-state yield is making me wish I'd dropped everything and moved to Seattle last spring.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 am

j.wellington wrote:Count me in the camp that's worried about GPA. Their numbers from last year seem to indicate they value that over LSAT. I do think I have some interesting "softs" to offer, but the 700-word essay limit kind of stymied my ability to tell my story, and gave me the impression that they're more of a show-me-the-stats kind of school anyway.

I'm a little surprised with myself about how badly I want this one. I could get into Berkeley and I'd shrug, but an acceptance letter from UW would have me singing from the balcony.

Also: The 70% in-state yield is making me wish I'd dropped everything and moved to Seattle last spring.
Or maybe they want to see that you have to ability to write concisely, since this is law school we're going to. Maybe I'm wrong? Not to mention, 700 words is kind of generous (that's over two pages). You would've really loved GWU's requirement (500 word limit).

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:59 am

algren wrote:
These other guys are praying, maybe we should sacrifice something? Other than our GPA's?
:D lol

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
j.wellington wrote:Count me in the camp that's worried about GPA. Their numbers from last year seem to indicate they value that over LSAT. I do think I have some interesting "softs" to offer, but the 700-word essay limit kind of stymied my ability to tell my story, and gave me the impression that they're more of a show-me-the-stats kind of school anyway.

Or maybe they want to see that you have to ability to write concisely, since this is law school we're going to. Maybe I'm wrong? Not to mention, 700 words is kind of generous (that's over two pages). You would've really loved GWU's requirement (500 word limit).
I understand that this varies and can be a measure of different things, but I do think it says something about the school. If a school gives a four-page maximum and tells you that two or three pages is average (which several do), it tells me they're genuinely interested in an applicant's personal qualities. If there's a strict 500-word limit, it tells me my hard stats are going matter predominantly and my softs are more of an afterthought. I'm not bashing the latter approach or trying to sound resentful. I just think it's indicative about the adcomm's preferences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Friend of mine just got her acceptance letter. Shedidnt apply til the beginning of January while I applied back in December. Goes to show what a 171 LSAT will do. Those with high stats probably will hear soon.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

j.wellington wrote: I understand that this varies and can be a measure of different things, but I do think it says something about the school. If a school gives a four-page maximum and tells you that two or three pages is average (which several do), it tells me they're genuinely interested in an applicant's personal qualities. If there's a strict 500-word limit, it tells me my hard stats are going matter predominantly and my softs are more of an afterthought. I'm not bashing the latter approach or trying to sound resentful. I just think it's indicative about the adcomm's preferences.
Maybe you're right, and I'm not trying to turn this thread into a big debate, but I've read amazing personal statements that were only a page long and told me a lot about the applicant's personal qualities. FWIW. Best of luck to you though. Hopefully we all get in.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 pm

j.wellington wrote:For what it's worth, I was told by someone who used to work in the admissions office that they render most of the decisions after their winter quarter ends, which according to the web site is March 20. That might not be the same this year if they have a new admissions director, as cited a few posts up. I hope not. That's getting pretty close to the deposit date for some other schools.

Out of curiosity, what are the stats of those who consider themselves long shots? PM if you don't mind. More than for any other school I'm having a really hard time trying to predict where I stand. The numbers chart on the admissions web site raises more questions than it answers.
Last year most of the decisions went out in February, with some in March, and only a few after March 20; check LSN. Are you sure you weren't talking to someone who worked for undergrad admissions?

Anyway, good luck to everyone! In previous years it seems UW has preferred high GPAs to high LSATs, I think their GPA median is actually better than a few T14s, but I think all bets are off on what they are going to be looking for this year with a new dean and new admissions director and staff, maybe it will be the same maybe not. FWIW I got in last year as a bit of a LSAT splitter.

I'm not really sure why I obsessively check this thread being that I was accepted a year ago. I guess I'm just board with work and wishing law school was starting next week rather than in eight months.

Again, good luck to you all! Hopefully I'll be seeing most of you in the fall.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

jcl2 wrote:Last year most of the decisions went out in February, with some in March, and only a few after March 20; check LSN. Are you sure you weren't talking to someone who worked for undergrad admissions?
Lest anyone take stock in something I said here, I think this guy was referring to the cycle for 2008, and it's possible he didn't know what the hell he was talking about, or had a skewed definition of "most," or something else. It was just a recent grad I met at a party. In other words: I don't know anything more than anyone else. I'm just grasping at straws like the rest as I wait anxiously for a response.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 pm

cdd_04 wrote:

Amen.

Does that help?
You had me until you said Audi R-8. My little brother loves that car, but I never understood why anyone would want a $120k car.
Good luck to the both of you, and everyone on this thread.
I check this thread, my status checker, and LSN about 5x a day to see if there are any updates, hopefully someone has some good news soon.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 pm

HerseyChris wrote:but I never understood why anyone would want a $120k car.

The answer is in your statement.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:40 pm

This image is probably computer enhanced, but what the heck.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Ugh that's beautiful. I want to go there so bad! Most of my friends from UG will be around, I'm sick of living in Texas during the summers, I love big cities....UW please pick me! I'll go in a heartbeat!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm

HerseyChris wrote:This image is probably computer enhanced, but what the heck.

haha, that is DEFINITELY computer enhanced...yet effective! Damn you, UW.
kalvano wrote:The answer is in your statement.

TITCR. But actually, I don't want know know why anyone would want a $120,00 car either. I want the 5.2 quattro ($155,000 car) :D

zermatt1

New

Post by zermatt1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm

akili wrote:Ugh that's beautiful. I want to go there so bad! Most of my friends from UG will be around, I'm sick of living in Texas during the summers, I love big cities....UW please pick me! I'll go in a heartbeat!
Hi akili. I live in Texas also and I hate the summers. I live at Ft. Hood. I have only been in Texas for one summer and I though I was going to die. We have the same scores. I am a Washington resident so I hope that boosts me a few points.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:01 pm

A few more digitally enhanced images:

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 pm

HerseyChris wrote:A few more digitally enhanced images:

HersheyChris, why must you continue to ruin my life? What next, are you going to post your acceptance letter? ha jk

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”