U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HG0506

Re: U Washington

Postby HG0506 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised either. I've been making plans with the school I've been accepted to. I cannot find a good reason to wait for them, when there is absolutely no indication of when the "wait" will end. The only definite about this process is that they started pulling people off the wait list the first week of May. Through the grapevine, I've heard they've notified people as late as July and the last few weeks before class. Thus moving right along...

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 23, 2010 4:00 pm

I just got a letter from UW saying that the class of 2010 is full. So those of you on the WL will probably have a clearer picture soon.

wtrke

Postby wtrke » Mon May 24, 2010 12:37 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:I just got a letter from UW saying that the class of 2010 is full. So those of you on the WL will probably have a clearer picture soon.

"clearer picture" = f our lives. haha. In what context did you receive the letter?

Anyone tried calling the AO and asking about the prospects of those of us still on the WL?

TheCheerfulPessimist

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Mon May 24, 2010 1:55 am

I'm an admitted student who plans on withdrawing in the next couple of days, so hang in there!

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 am

Sounds like the only people getting off waitlists will be those who are to replace people who back out on first and second tuition deposits. Maybe that should have been obvious, but I was hoping more people would withdraw from their acceptances.

The other thing that bothers me is that the one person in this thread who was admitted off a waitlist was a high lsat/low gpa splitter, which indicates that UW is concerned about its LSAT median. I'm a reverse splitter. =/

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon May 24, 2010 5:52 am

wtrke wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:I just got a letter from UW saying that the class of 2010 is full. So those of you on the WL will probably have a clearer picture soon.

"clearer picture" = f our lives. haha. In what context did you receive the letter?

Anyone tried calling the AO and asking about the prospects of those of us still on the WL?

'We regret to inform you that the class is full and we will not be admitting you off of our waitlist.'

Paraphrased.

HG0506

Postby HG0506 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
wtrke wrote:

'We regret to inform you that the class is full and we will not be admitting you off of our waitlist.'

Paraphrased.

On one hand, I'm glad the class is starting (or already has) to take shape. Yet it means those of us who haven't heard yet are left wondering whether an imminent letter is awaiting them. If you are in-state, as I am, then that letter awaits us now, or very soon.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon May 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update. Sorry to lob another Q at ya, but when was the letter written/postmarked?

Edit: My mail just came, and no letter here (Seattle).

wtrke

Postby wtrke » Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks TCS.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my mail. I'd almost argue that waiting is worse than being outright denied! At least you're not stuck in limbo like this... :?

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 pm

wtrke wrote:Thanks TCS.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my mail. I'd almost argue that waiting is worse than being outright denied! At least you're not stuck in limbo like this... :?

I absolutely think it's worse. =/

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 pm

The letter was postmarked 5/19. I'm early in the alphabet; maybe that's what the issue is. Maybe I'm first off the waitlist and some of you are still on it.

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 am

They'll maintain a waitlist until the first day of class, or at least August. They're probably just cutting it down.

HG0506

Postby HG0506 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com, where someone has posted they were called by the assistant dean who notified this person of acceptance+financial aid (yesterday).

Another was waitlisted, but denied admission.

50/50.

Hearing something really soon, though the last post makes you wonder.

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

So far have all the people taken off the waitlist been Washington residents?

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 pm

What number do they call you from?

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 pm

8ballistic wrote:So far have all the people taken off the waitlist been Washington residents?

I am a non-resident.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I have the inside scoop. They only admitted four people from teh waitlist and anyone out of state below the tenth position were sent the rejection letters (including me).

wtrke

Postby wtrke » Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 pm

kevin261186 wrote:I have the inside scoop. They only admitted four people from teh waitlist and anyone out of state below the tenth position were sent the rejection letters (including me).

Isn't the WL unranked? I called the AO a few weeks ago and I thought that's what the girl on the phone said...

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
8ballistic wrote:So far have all the people taken off the waitlist been Washington residents?

I am a non-resident.

Oops, I meant by taken off the waitlist offered admission.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 pm

wtrke wrote:
kevin261186 wrote:I have the inside scoop. They only admitted four people from teh waitlist and anyone out of state below the tenth position were sent the rejection letters (including me).

Isn't the WL unranked? I called the AO a few weeks ago and I thought that's what the girl on the phone said...

I bet she didn't rank it.

Schools tend to pull what they need from the waitlist, whether to comply with state law or keep their statistics how they like them. So even if there is no top to bottom ranking, a specific class of people can be excluded if they're "overbooked" on one group or another.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm

The admissions office's position is that the waitlist is unranked, but I understand from a professor on the admissions committee that the list is ranked (At the very least, in groups, from which the admissions committee can pull depending on median needs, etc.). So the idea that the people removed from the list are below the "10th" position & are out of state makes some sense to me.

An interesting fact about UW School of Law, the faculty has voted on a goal for the nubmer of in-state students at 70%, but it is by no means something required by law. Also, UW for the last two years has missed the mark by quiet a bit. (60% for 2008 and 58% for 2009).

Here's to hoping they get closer to 70% this year.

wtrke

Postby wtrke » Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Ditto to hoping they hit that 70% goal!

Talked to the AO today. The girl I spoke to said at least 50 letters went out last week to people on the WL informing them that they were being removed from it. Therefore, things must be lookin pretty full! :( But at least they're trying to really cut that list down and end the wait for some.

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm a non-resident, so I hope they've already hit 70% (ha-ha). Still on the waitlist. I'm a splitter with strong softs including good grades in graduate school. I imagine they kept me on the waitlist in case they were in jeopardy of their LSAT median going down, seeing as one single student can make a whole point difference on the reported LSAT medians. If they initially only put 100 people on the waitlist, and maybe the WL yield was around 80-90%, I can't imagine there are more than 30 people left on the list. However 50 letters seems fishy if they really only took non-residents off the list, because that would have to mean significantly over half the people on the waitlist were non-residents.

wtrke

Postby wtrke » Fri May 28, 2010 12:38 am

8ballistic wrote:50 letters seems fishy if they really only took non-residents off the list, because that would have to mean significantly over half the people on the waitlist were non-residents.

Are you sure the 50 letters are fishy and not the assertion that only non-residents were booted? I agree that accepting both claims makes the resident/non-resident ratio of those on the WL suspicious. I can't imagine that a school like UW with a 70% in-state goal would fill over half their WL with non-residents. The girl I spoke to said she didn't remember the exact number of letters that went out but that it was at least 50. Did kevin ever mention where he got his info? Better yet, kevin, if you're still around, where'd you get your info?

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Well, one or the other. It's not more auspicious one way or the other since they likely adjust the size of the pool based on how many they project pulling from it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”