U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kevin261186
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Do not be disheartened if you are still waiting. I got WLd with 3.67 and 157 LSAT. I have also been told that UW take a lot of people off the WL and has even been known to dip into rejections to fill up the class (as hard as this is to believe, I assure you it's true)

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:17 pm

kevin261186 wrote:Do not be disheartened if you are still waiting. I got WLd with 3.67 and 157 LSAT. I have also been told that UW take a lot of people off the WL and has even been known to dip into rejections to fill up the class (as hard as this is to believe, I assure you it's true)


That seems odd... Seems like admissions would just WL more people rather than have to go through the embarrassment of having to say "um, excuse me, we know we rejected you a few months ago, but we have a spot open, would you like to take it?"

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Oh yeah, so if the preliminary rankings are correct, UW dropped from 30 to 32 in the USNWR I think. That kind of sucks, but at the same time, who cares? The rankings are kind of dumb as it is and UW still has a great hold on the PNW (which is really the only place in the US that really matters (kidding, sort of)).

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:35 pm

HerseyChris wrote:Oh yeah, so if the preliminary rankings are correct, UW dropped from 30 to 32 in the USNWR I think. That kind of sucks, but at the same time, who cares? The rankings are kind of dumb as it is and UW still has a great hold on the PNW (which is really the only place in the US that really matters (kidding, sort of)).


If you look at the scores USNWR uses to rank the schools, there is only one point separating the schools tied at 28 and the schools tied at 34, 62 vs. 63 I think, so the difference in that group is pretty meaningless.

barrydukakis
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby barrydukakis » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Just withdrew en masse from a bunch of schools. Pending confirmation of my financial aid, will be attending UW Law this fall.

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 pm

kevin261186 wrote:Do not be disheartened if you are still waiting. I got WLd with 3.67 and 157 LSAT. I have also been told that UW take a lot of people off the WL and has even been known to dip into rejections to fill up the class (as hard as this is to believe, I assure you it's true)



I find this very hard to believe. UW shouldnt have any problem filling seats

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: U Washington

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone want a 2 bedroom condo on queen anne w/parking? Perfect for 2 people; furnished.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby akili » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:47 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Anyone want a 2 bedroom condo on queen anne w/parking? Perfect for 2 people; furnished.


I'm not going to UW law, but am going to be living in Seattle next year. PM me with details please! How much per month rent etc...

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby legalease9 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Just withdrew en masse from a bunch of schools. Pending confirmation of my financial aid, will be attending UW Law this fall.


Do you know roundabout when this is happening?

Annie09
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Annie09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Hey all,

I see that a few people are thinking about re-taking the LSAT. I just wanted to say, I took it THREE times before I got the score I wanted (stupid dino game). But I'm glad I did. It sucks to spend so many hours, days, weeks, months studying, but it's worth it in the end.

Also, for those in Seattle, I took Steven Klein's course and I highly recommend it. He teaches all of the classes himself and there is unlimited free tutoring. And, no, I'm not Steven. I'm just REALLY glad someone told me about him (actually, a few people did), so I thought I'd pass the wisdom on. I took a weekend PowerScore Course before my first LSAT and it was miserable. Let me know if you have any questions! http://www.stevenklein.com/ .

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: U Washington

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey all who are still following. I'm curious, how many of us are waitlisted? I can barely wait for May! (And we're just about a week away haha) Goodluck to all of you!

-----

Annie09 wrote:Hey all,
[...]
Also, for those in Seattle, I took Steven Klein's course and I highly recommend it. He teaches all of the classes himself and there is unlimited free tutoring. And, no, I'm not Steven. I'm just REALLY glad someone told me about him (actually, a few people did), so I thought I'd pass the wisdom on. I took a weekend PowerScore Course before my first LSAT and it was miserable. Let me know if you have any questions! http://www.stevenklein.com/ .


You might not BE him, but it sounds like you work for his company? Anyway, I have heard good things about his program, but I didn't end up taking it myself.

User avatar
wtrke
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby wtrke » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm WL'd at UW.

And in response to annie, I took the PowerScore weekend class and found it really helpful for $350. Way better than blowing $1200 on SK and having to drive to Seattle all the time. Although I'm sure that'd have helped my LSAT some haha.

jmhallah
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:50 am

Re: U Washington

Postby jmhallah » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey, I'm still keeping up with these posts and I'm currently on the WL. Do you know if they have started pulling people off of the WL or not?

kevin261186
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby kevin261186 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 pm

not until May, I believe. So if you have anyone who can make a call to move your name up the WL, you still have time.

hellomoto
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby hellomoto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby ccs224 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:39 pm

hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


+1. Got the same email, though I withdrew yesterday.

hellomoto
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby hellomoto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

ccs224 wrote:
hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


+1. Got the same email, though I withdrew yesterday.


Good luck in DC next year :)

cr073137
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby cr073137 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm

jmhallah wrote:Hey, I'm still keeping up with these posts and I'm currently on the WL. Do you know if they have started pulling people off of the WL or not?


I got wait listed *shocked*, and withdrew immediately. stupid YP

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm

hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


Got the same email, in-state. I wasn't expecting anything though, UW just doesn't give out much merit aid. Plus, I deferred and already paid my deposit, so they new they didn't have to do anything to entice me to come.

Remember that you will get a grant to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition your second two years at UW. If you think about it, one year out-of-state and two years in-state at UW is comparable to a 17k per year scholarship at a school that costs close to 40k at sticker.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:13 pm

cr073137 wrote:
jmhallah wrote:Hey, I'm still keeping up with these posts and I'm currently on the WL. Do you know if they have started pulling people off of the WL or not?


I got wait listed *shocked*, and withdrew immediately. stupid YP


IDK, UW's waitlists don't really show a pattern indicative of YP. But why do you care? You withdrew, so you obviously aren't interested in attending, why are you bitching?

hellomoto
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby hellomoto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:04 pm

jcl2 wrote:
hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


Got the same email, in-state. I wasn't expecting anything though, UW just doesn't give out much merit aid. Plus, I deferred and already paid my deposit, so they new they didn't have to do anything to entice me to come.

Remember that you will get a grant to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition your second two years at UW. If you think about it, one year out-of-state and two years in-state at UW is comparable to a 17k per year scholarship at a school that costs close to 40k at sticker.


That's true. My only concern is the budget shortfall in Washington and the increase in tuition over the next several years. The resident tuition has more than tripled in the last 10 years. Just FYI: http://www.washington.edu/admin/pb/home ... istory.pdf (page 5 and 6)

Edit:
Image

Resident Tuition:
1999-2000: $6009
2000-2001: $6216
2001-2002: $6911
2002-2003: $10230
2003-2004: $13510
2004-2005: $13516
2005-2006: $14807
2006-2007: $16255
2007-2008: $17846
2008-2009: $19585
2009-2010: $22267

Non resident tuition:
1999-2000: $14802
2000-2001: $15326
2001-2002: $17114
2002-2003: $17969
2003-2004: $18510
2004-2005: $19816
2005-2006: $21737
2006-2007: $23878
2007-2008: $26231
2008-2009: $28809
2009-2010: $32777

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:28 pm

hellomoto wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


Got the same email, in-state. I wasn't expecting anything though, UW just doesn't give out much merit aid. Plus, I deferred and already paid my deposit, so they new they didn't have to do anything to entice me to come.

Remember that you will get a grant to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition your second two years at UW. If you think about it, one year out-of-state and two years in-state at UW is comparable to a 17k per year scholarship at a school that costs close to 40k at sticker.


That's true. My only concern is the budget shortfall in Washington and the increase in tuition over the next several years. The resident tuition has more than tripled in the last 10 years. Just FYI: http://www.washington.edu/admin/pb/home ... istory.pdf (page 5 and 6)

Edit:
Image

Resident Tuition:
1999-2000: $6009
2000-2001: $6216
2001-2002: $6911
2002-2003: $10230
2003-2004: $13510
2004-2005: $13516
2005-2006: $14807
2006-2007: $16255
2007-2008: $17846
2008-2009: $19585
2009-2010: $22267

Non resident tuition:
1999-2000: $14802
2000-2001: $15326
2001-2002: $17114
2002-2003: $17969
2003-2004: $18510
2004-2005: $19816
2005-2006: $21737
2006-2007: $23878
2007-2008: $26231
2008-2009: $28809
2009-2010: $32777


I know, it is disguising that the legislature, in large part due to pressure from the public, has abandoned higher education as a funding priority. People just don't realize the enormous economic value of a strong and accessible public university system. People without college educations, and even some with, also frequently complain that the costs of higher education should be born by those who reap the benefits of that education (students and graduates) rather than tax payers, not realizing that the resulting higher tuition will make it much less likely that their children will have the opportunity to go to college. Basically, reducing state funding to higher ed because only the "elite" benefit, just makes those institutions even less accessible to people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

On a positive note, tuition is likely only increasing by 5% for next year, and the state's budget situation should begin to improve as the economy turns around so hopefully we won't see any more extreme 15% jumps, like last year, anytime soon.

PetitBonaparte
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby PetitBonaparte » Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 pm

It's May. Has anyone heard?

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: U Washington

Postby legalease9 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 pm

jcl2 wrote:
hellomoto wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
hellomoto wrote:Just got an email saying that I won't be getting any scholarships. I am out of state, but was hoping that my numbers would help out.


Got the same email, in-state. I wasn't expecting anything though, UW just doesn't give out much merit aid. Plus, I deferred and already paid my deposit, so they new they didn't have to do anything to entice me to come.

Remember that you will get a grant to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition your second two years at UW. If you think about it, one year out-of-state and two years in-state at UW is comparable to a 17k per year scholarship at a school that costs close to 40k at sticker.


That's true. My only concern is the budget shortfall in Washington and the increase in tuition over the next several years. The resident tuition has more than tripled in the last 10 years. Just FYI: http://www.washington.edu/admin/pb/home ... istory.pdf (page 5 and 6)

Edit:
Image

Resident Tuition:
1999-2000: $6009
2000-2001: $6216
2001-2002: $6911
2002-2003: $10230
2003-2004: $13510
2004-2005: $13516
2005-2006: $14807
2006-2007: $16255
2007-2008: $17846
2008-2009: $19585
2009-2010: $22267

Non resident tuition:
1999-2000: $14802
2000-2001: $15326
2001-2002: $17114
2002-2003: $17969
2003-2004: $18510
2004-2005: $19816
2005-2006: $21737
2006-2007: $23878
2007-2008: $26231
2008-2009: $28809
2009-2010: $32777


I know, it is disguising that the legislature, in large part due to pressure from the public, has abandoned higher education as a funding priority. People just don't realize the enormous economic value of a strong and accessible public university system. People without college educations, and even some with, also frequently complain that the costs of higher education should be born by those who reap the benefits of that education (students and graduates) rather than tax payers, not realizing that the resulting higher tuition will make it much less likely that their children will have the opportunity to go to college. Basically, reducing state funding to higher ed because only the "elite" benefit, just makes those institutions even less accessible to people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

On a positive note, tuition is likely only increasing by 5% for next year, and the state's budget situation should begin to improve as the economy turns around so hopefully we won't see any more extreme 15% jumps, like last year, anytime soon.


Just out of curiosity, where did you get the 5% number?

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: U Washington

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm

jcl2 wrote:***
I know, it is disguising that the legislature, in large part due to pressure from the public, has abandoned higher education as a funding priority.
***


Bear in mind that timber sales on state trust lands are the primary source of revenue for higher education in the state: timber prices have been severely depressed for the past 5-6 years, and as a result harvest bids have been very low, with many offers going unsold.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, Bing [Bot], lawschool2017712, Leliana, pizzagoblin, Rio123 and 17 guests