U Washington

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HerseyChris

Re: U Washington

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am

griffkin wrote:There is nothing under my "mailings" box (other than app received/status checker info)... I take this to mean that they rendered a decision, and have decided to reject me so emphatically that they will refuse to even mail me a rejection letter.

Nothing under mine either, so I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps it's just a certain admissions officer thing, one person does the decision process and updates the mailings, and the other doesn't bother and just blanks the status.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

3/10 group...are we blank yet? (because I'm not and I'm a WEE bit nervous)

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:59 am

akili wrote:3/10 group...are we blank yet? (because I'm not and I'm a WEE bit nervous)

3/14 and stillllllll waiting. Maybe today?? The people on this thread are soooo nice that it really makes me want to attend! I toured a school the other day and some of the people I met were..lets say, not so nice.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

No mailings listed for me either. While it passes the time, I think it's useless to read muh into the timing or content of UW's status checker. What I've gleaned from this board is that there's not much consistency in how they use it and they don't send out batches of one kind of decision. I'm just going to wait for my letter to come and take it from there. They've worn me down to the point of ambivalence. That's probably for the better.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:12 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
akili wrote:Ok so details! What did the envelope look like? Approximately how many tears did you shed?

Ha, just a small envelope. 5/1 deposit deadline, 4/16 ASD, scholarship app info, official transcript request. May or may not take a victory run through Seattle now, it's supposed to pour though. Well see. My cheeks hurt though, can't get this goofy smile off my face. GL to those still waiting.

Oh come on be a true Seattleite! Put on your flannel jacket and take a victorious jog in the rain. When you get home warm yourself up to some coffee. It's fun being a breathing cliche! (this is a near replica to my visit to Seattle U....the rain and flannel was not by design though on my part)

So weather.com is stupid and it didn't actually rain. Well it did for 10 minutes despite the forecast saying 3 hours of 'showers'. Here are some pictures of my run: And ha, Plug In, I don't do any of those things... The rain doesn't bother me so much, I just don't want my mp3 player to get wet.

33 miles in 3 hours 50 minutes, Mercer Island, across I-90, up Eastlake, looked at a few houses, went to the law school, ran around Green Lake, went to Fremont, down Westlake, through Seattle Center and Downtwn Seatle, back to Mercer Island.
House I'm looking at, it's a $600k (yeesh) duplex, 2 bedrooms up top, 5 bedrooms down below, recently remodeled, so if anyone here is interested in renting (less than half a mile from the Law School, 43rd street and 8th Ave).

Inside the Law School.
Outside the Law School (2nd picture is from a run 2 weeks ago).
Can't run through Seattle without taking a picture of the Space Needle.

(Edited because I spelled Seattle wrong in one caption. God I'm an idiot.)
Last edited by HerseyChris on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bohemka

Postby Bohemka » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm

^^^^ You ran 33 miles yesterday??? Is that normal or was it just the adrenaline from being accepted to UW? :)

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
akili wrote:Ok so details! What did the envelope look like? Approximately how many tears did you shed?

Ha, just a small envelope. 5/1 deposit deadline, 4/16 ASD, scholarship app info, official transcript request. May or may not take a victory run through Seattle now, it's supposed to pour though. Well see. My cheeks hurt though, can't get this goofy smile off my face. GL to those still waiting.

Oh come on be a true Seattleite! Put on your flannel jacket and take a victorious jog in the rain. When you get home warm yourself up to some coffee. It's fun being a breathing cliche! (this is a near replica to my visit to Seattle U....the rain and flannel was not by design though on my part)

So weather.com is stupid and it didn't actually rain. Well it did for 10 minutes despite the forecast saying 3 hours of 'showers'. Here are some pictures of my run: And ha, Plug In, I don't do any of those things... The rain doesn't bother me so much, I just don't want my mp3 player to get wet.

33 miles in 3 hours 50 minutes, Mercer Island, across I-90, up Eastlake, looked at a few houses, went to the law school, ran around Green Lake, went to Fremont, down Westlake, through Sattle Center and Downtwn Seatle, back to Mercer Island.
House I'm looking at, it's a $600k (yeesh) duplex, 2 bedrooms up top, 5 bedrooms down below, recently remodeled, so if anyone here is interested in renting (less than half a mile from the Law School, 43rd street and 8th Ave).

Inside the Law School.
Outside the Law School (2nd picture is from a run 2 weeks ago).
Can't run through Seattle without taking a picture of the Space Needle.

That is one hell of a run.

edit: and in an incredible time. Just over 7 minute miles for that distance is insane.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

jcl2 wrote:

edit: and in an incredible time. Just over 7 minute miles for that distance is insane.

bohemka wrote:
^^^^ You ran 33 miles yesterday??? Is that normal or was it just the adrenaline from being accepted to UW?

Thanks, um, it's actually normal, I do something similar to this every few weeks or so. Though this particular run was a bit due to adrenaline because my legs felt like crap before the run started.

Thanks jcl, yeah, I can assure you the last hour was NOT 7 minute pace, but the first 90 for a good 6:40 and I ran around Green Lake at 6:00 pace just for kicks.
Last edited by HerseyChris on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

bohemka wrote:
^^^^ You ran 33 miles yesterday??? Is that normal or was it just the adrenaline from being accepted to UW?

Thanks, um, it's actually normal, I do something similar to this every few weeks or so. Though this particular run was a bit due to adrenaline because my legs felt like crap before the run started.

Thanks jcl, yeah, I can assure the last hour was NOT 7 minute pace, but the first 90 for a good 6:40 and I ran around Green Lake at 6:00 pace just for kicks.

Holy crap. That's impressive.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

well if I ever need to train for a marathon, I know who to hit up

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Haha I wrote my PS about running but I'm nowhere near the 33 mile club! Doing my first 1/2 May 15th (day before graduation!), Any advice HerseyChris?

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Finally blank. I'm on the east coast so the next few days are going to be anxiety-filled... It's always been my first choice.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:50 pm

sophistry wrote:Finally blank. I'm on the east coast so the next few days are going to be anxiety-filled... It's always been my first choice.

Congrats! Me too... in NYC. Stats if you don't mind?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:50 pm

That's an impressive run time, but ouch, that's gotta wreak havoc on your joints. I used to run far less and experienced the pain that ultimately accompanies high impact exercise. Swimming for me from now on, which is too bad, because Seattle offers some nice running areas.

mat2013

Postby mat2013 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 pm

I was dinged on Saturday. Crushing (although expected) as I really wanted to attend UW. I attended as an UG.
Congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting.
Reading this thread for a few months now has really been an odd communal experience. I wish good luck to you all.
Question: I'm going to re-take the test this June (my score was 6-7 points lower than my practice tests) and am wondering if anyone has any study material suggestions. I took a local class here in Seattle, but am looking for maybe some study guides I can buy. Please PM me as I'm sure not everyone is interested. Thanks.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm

mat2013 wrote:I was dinged on Saturday. Crushing (although expected) as I really wanted to attend UW. I attended as an UG.
Reading this thread for a few months now has really been an odd communal experience. I wish good luck to you all.
Question: I'm going to re-take the test this June (my score was 6-7 points lower than my practice tests) and am wondering if anyone has any study material suggestions. I took a local class here in Seattle, but am looking for maybe some study guides I can buy. Please PM me as I'm sure not everyone is interested. Thanks.

Have you checked out Pithypikes LSAT study guide in the LSAT prep forum? Pretty good stuff in there, I think.
Last edited by jcl2 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

mat2013 wrote:I was dinged on Saturday. Crushing (although expected) as I really wanted to attend UW. I attended as an UG.

Use the Logical Reasoning and Logic Games Bibles, if you don't already have them. That guide was actually more helpful than the two Kaplan courses I rushed through. If you have the discipline, I think you're honestly better off studying on your own for the LSAT.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm

akili wrote:Haha I wrote my PS about running but I'm nowhere near the 33 mile club! Doing my first 1/2 May 15th (day before graduation!), Any advice HerseyChris?

Um... Not sure where your training is at, but doing a long run (20-25% of your weekly mileage) every week (or 10 days or two weeks) is helpful. If you're not really a workout person (I'm not, I hate running on tracks), doing a faster run once or twice a week ideal. Maybe incorporate a few 15 second strides at the end of a few run, just to get leg turnover. As for the other runs, don't be afraid to go too slow. Most runs are just for mileage, and going faster than a certain pace just makes it harder for your legs to recover. Some people call them "Junk Miles" others call them the Foundation for successful long distance running.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

JOThompson wrote:

Use the Logical Reasoning and Logic Games Bibles, if you don't already have them. That guide was actually more helpful than the two Kaplan courses I rushed through. If you have the discipline, I think you're honestly better off studying on your own for the LSAT.

I'll second this. I admittedly did not do well on the LSAT compared to my practice tests either (damn you nerves the first time, then Reading Comp the second time), but those bibles were great, and not at all expensive (all things considered).

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
akili wrote:Haha I wrote my PS about running but I'm nowhere near the 33 mile club! Doing my first 1/2 May 15th (day before graduation!), Any advice HerseyChris?

Um... Not sure where your training is at, but doing a long run (20-25% of your weekly mileage) every week (or 10 days or two weeks) is helpful. If you're not really a workout person (I'm not, I hate running on tracks), doing a faster run once or twice a week ideal. Maybe incorporate a few 15 second strides at the end of a few run, just to get leg turnover. As for the other runs, don't be afraid to go too slow. Most runs are just for mileage, and going faster than a certain pace just makes it harder for your legs to recover. Some people call them "Junk Miles" others call them the Foundation for successful long distance running.

How do you manage your hydration on really long runs? I always have trouble with getting dehydrated on 18+ milers. I guess I have been running in eastern Washington, though, where it is either windy as hell or 95 degrees and I have to carry all of my water or stash it along my route because there are no sources of drinking water along the way. I'm really looking forward to running in western Washington again.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

jcl2 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

How do you manage your hydration on really long runs? I always have trouble with getting dehydrated on 18+ milers. I guess I have been running in eastern Washington, though, where it is either windy as hell or 95 degrees and I have to carry all of my water or stash it along my route because there are no sources of drinking water along the way. I'm really looking forward to running in western Washington again.

Two things. I'm oddly weird in that I don't sweat. Unless it's in a hot indoor basketball court, I'm not much of a sweater. The other thing is, I don't drink water. I drink usually 2-3 cups per day, but for some reason just don't need water much. It's weird, I know.
But what I did do, is I drank a cup of water before I left. Then I drank some water 2 hours in at Green Lake. Then I stopped by a 7-11 and bought an Arizona Green Tea with the 5 quarters in my pocket. Downed that, then resumed running. Most people carry those 'grenade belts', and I suppose those would work, though for longer runs, obviously they should probably be some mixture of water, electrolyte, maybe protein in the water.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:

Two things. I'm oddly weird in that I don't sweat. Unless it's in a hot indoor basketball court, I'm not much of a sweater. The other thing is, I don't drink water. I drink usually 2-3 cups per day, but for some reason just don't need water much. It's weird, I know.
But what I did do, is I drank a cup of water before I left. Then I drank some water 2 hours in at Green Lake. Then I stopped by a 7-11 and bought an Arizona Green Tea with the 5 quarters in my pocket. Downed that, then resumed running. Most people carry those 'grenade belts', and I suppose those would work, though for longer runs, obviously they should probably be some mixture of water, electrolyte, maybe protein in the water.

I'm the opposite, in that I sweat a lot and need to drink a lot. I usually carry one of those water bottles that straps to my hand (I hate the belts) with a 50% water Gatorade mix. I think better weather conditions and easier access to fluids along the way should make a big difference.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

akili wrote:I'm thinking of sending an LOCI. Wise? Unwise?

I'm freaking out!

Honestly, you should have sent one at least a month ago. It's too late now. I sent an LOCI the first week of January in an effort to remove my file from the auto-reject pile, which must have worked as I have been IR ever since.
Last edited by ProfitsProphets on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
akili wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:
akili wrote:I'm thinking of sending an LOCI. Wise? Unwise?

I'm freaking out!

At this point it's probably pointless IMO.

Damn. You are probably right. It's not like anything drastic has changed. I'm kind of coming to the same conclusion as you. If I don't get in to UW, I will wait and reapply next year or the year after.

It may look like the three sociology majors can be LSAT study buddies if things go awry. We can be the Bonklers of U-Dub! (if Profits doesn't mind dressing in Japanese schoolgirl garb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m05jJhsy ... re=related
(yes its in Japanese and the subtitles are in Spanish, but it shows you that if we unite we can beat the smart kids!)

My school girl outfit is a little small for me now, but I'll squeeze into it. :D Honestly, I hope this doesn't come to be, not because I don't want to be study buddies, rather, I want us to get in this cycle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 pm

jcl2 wrote:

Have you checked out Pithypikes LSAT study guide in the LSAT prep forum? Pretty good stuff in there, I think.

I haven't gotten my decision yet (nor am I blank), but I already ordered the books and plan on doing a 2 month version of the pithypike method. I hope to increase my score at least five points (which would give me 166 and a good shot next year at U-Dub). Perhaps with a sociology degree you can be the fourth Bonkler!

As for HerseyChris' 33 mile run...I can do that through Seattle no problem: Start at Kidd Valley to Portage Bay to Cactus to Maekawa..... :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”