U Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PlugInBaby

Bronze

Re: U Washington

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm

mango26 wrote:haha wow according to that my chances are worse now than they were before.
also no one my school matriculated there last year. not totally surprising i guess since i'm on east coast. do you think that being from a school that doesn't normally matriculate there is seen as a small soft?
Good question, I doubt they ever had anyone matriculate from my UG alma mater. I certainly hope they find it in their heart to let this UIC Flame glow brightly at their fine institution. If I get dings and SU continues to baffle me, I will come back as fire, burn all the liars, leave a blanket of ash on the ground.

A cookie for who can name the song and artist which I just quoted, provided that we see each other before class starts. Homemade too, I am a good baker, so I am a natural at tort reform *breaks down laughing at her own joke*...that's a funny one...*puzzled by the scowls of the audience*...you guys!?

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Sorry for the unsolicited advise, and I'm sure you have heard it many times before, but you have a good GPA, don't let a bad LSAT score prevent you from going to a good school, re-take the damn thing and apply again next year. Unless, obviously, you get a miracle acceptance this year. There is some great LSAT study advise on this site, check it out and kick ass in June or September.

Sorry again, I usually hate when people give unsolicited advice to retake the lsat without knowing someones situation. I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

No worries, I totally agree (and get it). I am taking my chance to see if the other aspects of my app, who make me who I am, can withstand the scrutiny of adcomms. I knew going into this cycle I was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot, but I believed in what I had to offer UW, and I am still in review six weeks now (going on 7), so miracles can happen. Ugh, I so don't want to look at another lsat question. But I agree, with more practice I will become proficient under timed conditions. :D

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Rejected with a 162 LSAT and a 3.91 GPA. VERY upset and a little shocked. I would have gone here.
Yikes, sorry to hear about the ding. So, that puts a dent in the YP theory. If you don't mind, can you share your major and whether or not you are in state or out of state?
I'm a history major and out of state. I went to a Philadelphia school (our mascot is a type of bird). I had solid softs, great recommendations, and I wrote the optional essay and wrote my personal statement with them in mind. I don't know what I did wrong. I'm pretty devastated.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Rejected with a 162 LSAT and a 3.91 GPA. VERY upset and a little shocked. I would have gone here.
Yikes, sorry to hear about the ding. So, that puts a dent in the YP theory. If you don't mind, can you share your major and whether or not you are in state or out of state?
I'm a history major and out of state. I went to a Philadelphia school (our mascot is a type of bird). I had solid softs, great recommendations, and I wrote the optional essay and wrote my personal statement with them in mind. I don't know what I did wrong. I'm pretty devastated.
I was quite sure there wasn't an optional essay..but nonetheless I can't blame you for being shocked...*hugs* I am sorry.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
That really sucks, sorry to hear it. Do you have some other options you are happy with or are you going to try again next year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
I was quite sure there wasn't an optional essay..but nonetheless I can't blame you for being shocked...*hugs* I am sorry.
Me too, it sucks to be rejected. I'm 0-6 so far with my apps, so I don't know if I'll ever see what a acceptance letter looks like. So I feel your devastation.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
Well, that diversity essay or whatever it was called...Luckily I have some other options (including the Washington in St. Louis and UC Davis with a little $, plus Temple. I've also been waitlisted at UVA). Still, I REALLY wanted UDub, but I'm not going to wait another year so I have to decide where I want to go.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm just going to convince myself that it all works out in the end.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Rory1987 wrote:I'm just going to convince myself that it all works out in the end.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trav13

New

Post by trav13 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 am

Rory1987 wrote:I'm just going to convince myself that it all works out in the end.
+1

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Rory1987 wrote: Well, that diversity essay or whatever it was called...Luckily I have some other options (including the Washington in St. Louis and UC Davis with a little $, plus Temple. I've also been waitlisted at UVA). Still, I REALLY wanted UDub, but I'm not going to wait another year so I have to decide where I want to go.
Sorry again for the ding, though it sounds like you have some good options. Good luck with UVA and the rest of your cycle.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm

If I don't get to U-Dub I am considering retaking the LSAT over again in June, applying to 10 schools (five I did in this cycle, but also some reasonable reaches and ballparks), applying super early, and not be so gosh darn coy about personal diversity and adversity. I've also re-evaluated what I really want from a law school (not just location and ranking, but cost of attendance, career opportunities, and geographic career placement).

Perhaps the goofy Seattle U waitlisting was the best thing that happened to me.

Anyone else considering blowing it all up and starting over next cycle?

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:If I don't get to U-Dub I am considering retaking the LSAT over again in June, applying to 10 schools (five I did in this cycle, but also some reasonable reaches and ballparks), applying super early, and not be so gosh darn coy about personal diversity and adversity. I've also re-evaluated what I really want from a law school (not just location and ranking, but cost of attendance, career opportunities, and geographic career placement).

Yes, me, for obvious reasons. I think that is a great idea if you're not totally convinced you want to attend SU. Don't sell yourself short, go where you want to attend. That is why I applied to schools that I had very little chance of acceptance, based on my lsat score, because I'm not borrowing 100k to attend a 3rd tier law school to have trouble finding employment afterwards.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:If I don't get to U-Dub I am considering retaking the LSAT over again in June, applying to 10 schools (five I did in this cycle, but also some reasonable reaches and ballparks), applying super early, and not be so gosh darn coy about personal diversity and adversity. I've also re-evaluated what I really want from a law school (not just location and ranking, but cost of attendance, career opportunities, and geographic career placement).

I think in most cases it would probably be worth waiting a year to go to UW or better rather than SU. Hopefully you'll get into UW this year though.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 pm

It's so frustrating because UW really has no peer institutions in the NW. It's kind of UW or bust. L&C, Seattle, U of O, etc..are all great schools (and I'm not counting them out yet), but I wish there was another school I could apply to that would get me the same career opportunities in Seattle (and I could get in to with my stats). Frustrating!!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:22 pm

akili wrote:It's so frustrating because UW really has no peer institutions in the NW. It's kind of UW or bust. L&C, Seattle, U of O, etc..are all great schools (and I'm not counting them out yet), but I wish there was another school I could apply to that would get me the same career opportunities in Seattle (and I could get in to with my stats). Frustrating!!
I feel if I get my LSAT a few points higher, not only can I get a better chance at U-Dub, but even if that falls through getting lots of $$$ from SU can make it a less risky proposition. I may even get a value admission to a Iowa or Illinois (since I'm nice and midwest and all), not very portable to Seattle but strong in Chicago.

Get my LSAT a heck of a lot higher, I'll apply to U-Dub, hope to get free rides from the regional schools (Seattle, Kent, and the like), and carpet bomb the top California schools with their degree portability in the west coast.

So my advice, don't shy away from a really good school not because its in the area you want if it has very good portability in the region you are looking at.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 pm

akili wrote:It's so frustrating because UW really has no peer institutions in the NW. It's kind of UW or bust. L&C, Seattle, U of O, etc..are all great schools (and I'm not counting them out yet), but I wish there was another school I could apply to that would get me the same career opportunities in Seattle (and I could get in to with my stats). Frustrating!!
I've always thought that UC Davis might actually be the next best option after UW if your goal is to work in the NW, especially if you are willing to consider starting out in Northern California. U of O, L&C, and Seattle might give you better overall odds of getting a job in the NW straight out of law school, but the chances at the better jobs in the region coming from those schools is just so slim, I'd rather have the back up of a good shot at Bay Area biglaw or state/federal government jobs, but I guess I have family down there to, so maybe others are not as willing to consider CA. I think the Bay Area will be my second choice market even with a UW degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

jcl2 wrote:
I've always thought that UC Davis might actually be the next best option after UW if your goal is to work in the NW, especially if you are willing to consider starting out in Northern California. U of O, L&C, and Seattle might give you better overall odds of getting a job in the NW straight out of law school, but the chances at the better jobs in the region coming from those schools is just so slim, I'd rather have the back up of a good shot at Bay Area biglaw or state/federal government jobs, but I guess I have family down there to, so maybe others are not as willing to consider CA. I think the Bay Area will be my second choice market even with a UW degree.
What about CU Boulder? Does anyone know of people successfully finding work in Seattle after going to CU?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
What about CU Boulder? Does anyone know of people successfully finding work in Seattle after going to CU?
Read some of the summations from TLS about CU...see where their graduates usually work and how portable the degree is.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:30 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
Aimhigh, how did your UW and L&C visits go?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:53 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
you will definitely have to start building seattle connections early on, and put in a lot of leg work. I doubt Seattle firms are going to be coming out to Colorado to do recruiting when they have NW schools, and all of cali to feed off of

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
I visited CU, UW, and L&C all last week actually... a little crazy! But I liked all three schools. I think my favorite town/campus was CU, and if I didn't have family in the PNW and a desire to eventually move back there - well, I'd probably pick Boulder. I ski, hike, and climb, so it would be pretty perfect place to live for 3 years. That being said, UW was also great (I had a fantastic tour guide who hooked me up with some great info and connections), and I'm leaning in that direction. Waiting to hear about any scholarship $ from UW or CU, though. (not holding my breath on either!)

In case anyone else is comparing any of these schools, I'm going to copy below some thoughts I shared with another TLSer:

UW's new building is great. Functional, large well-lit classrooms with reasonably comfy chairs (important things! ;) ). I went out for dinner after my visit with a recent alum and her main complaints about the building were that a) there just isn't enough space, i.e. locker shortage, office shortage, sometimes classroom shortage for meetings etc., and b) they didn't give the students an open central area to just hang out. Also, I wasn't dazzled by the law library; most of it is underground, so it lacks the airy feeling of L&C's library with its big windows. The law students I spoke with all said they spend a lot of their study time in other libraries around campus, including Suzzallo (for grad students, about a three minute walk from Gates hall) and the business school library. I also liked the location of the law school, on a corner very close to the avenue (restaurants, coffee, shops) and a little separated from the rest of campus. I spoke with several professors and current students at the open house, and I got a great impression from everyone. Very friendly and helpful.

My impression of CU was very, very good. I loved their new building and found the classrooms to be well-lit and comfortable. I also felt as though I fit right in with the student body. I sat in on a Civ Pro class with Professor Krakoff, who was great. I didn't love the library space, but otherwise really liked the building. Our 2L tour guide seemed really happy with the school and mentioned the great relationships between students, not cut-throat competitive but rather helpful and collaborative (according to everyone I talked with, this also can be said of UW). He also mentioned the bonus of Thursday night "happy hour" in the student lounge and said that many law students take advantage of their class-free Fridays by going skiing - I really liked the sound of that! :)

I liked L&C, though to me it felt really similar to my undergrad institution (Willamette U in Salem, OR) and I'm ready for something new. I attended a 1 1/2 hour long Contracts class with Prof. Newell that was surprisingly interesting. While the CU class felt informal, the L&C class was conducted VERY informally. Lots of interaction between professor and students made it feel like I was back in college. I loved L&C's library building, but don't care as much for the rest of their campus. Compared to CU, it felt old and dark. Also, the main classroom complex consists of four completely windowless lecture halls in a building they call "the bunker". That is exactly what it reminded me of. Don't think I would enjoy sitting there for long hours much... but maybe you get used to it.

Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything more specific!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
I visited CU, UW, and L&C all last week actually... a little crazy! But I liked all three schools. I think my favorite town/campus was CU, and if I didn't have family in the PNW and a desire to eventually move back there - well, I'd probably pick Boulder. I ski, hike, and climb, so it would be pretty perfect place to live for 3 years. That being said, UW was also great (I had a fantastic tour guide who hooked me up with some great info and connections), and I'm leaning in that direction. Waiting to hear about any scholarship $ from UW or CU, though. (not holding my breath on either!)

In case anyone else is comparing any of these schools, I'm going to copy below some thoughts I shared with another TLSer:

UW's new building is great. Functional, large well-lit classrooms with reasonably comfy chairs (important things! ;) ). I went out for dinner after my visit with a recent alum and her main complaints about the building were that a) there just isn't enough space, i.e. locker shortage, office shortage, sometimes classroom shortage for meetings etc., and b) they didn't give the students an open central area to just hang out. Also, I wasn't dazzled by the law library; most of it is underground, so it lacks the airy feeling of L&C's library with its big windows. The law students I spoke with all said they spend a lot of their study time in other libraries around campus, including Suzzallo (for grad students, about a three minute walk from Gates hall) and the business school library. I also liked the location of the law school, on a corner very close to the avenue (restaurants, coffee, shops) and a little separated from the rest of campus. I spoke with several professors and current students at the open house, and I got a great impression from everyone. Very friendly and helpful.

My impression of CU was very, very good. I loved their new building and found the classrooms to be well-lit and comfortable. I also felt as though I fit right in with the student body. I sat in on a Civ Pro class with Professor Krakoff, who was great. I didn't love the library space, but otherwise really liked the building. Our 2L tour guide seemed really happy with the school and mentioned the great relationships between students, not cut-throat competitive but rather helpful and collaborative (according to everyone I talked with, this also can be said of UW). He also mentioned the bonus of Thursday night "happy hour" in the student lounge and said that many law students take advantage of their class-free Fridays by going skiing - I really liked the sound of that! :)

I liked L&C, though to me it felt really similar to my undergrad institution (Willamette U in Salem, OR) and I'm ready for something new. I attended a 1 1/2 hour long Contracts class with Prof. Newell that was surprisingly interesting. While the CU class felt informal, the L&C class was conducted VERY informally. Lots of interaction between professor and students made it feel like I was back in college. I loved L&C's library building, but don't care as much for the rest of their campus. Compared to CU, it felt old and dark. Also, the main classroom complex consists of four completely windowless lecture halls in a building they call "the bunker". That is exactly what it reminded me of. Don't think I would enjoy sitting there for long hours much... but maybe you get used to it.

Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything more specific!
Hey, we have good skiing, hiking, and climbing in Washington too. The ski areas closest to Seattle are overcrowded and too low for consistently good snow, but if you are willing to make the trek to Baker, or maybe Crystal, or to venture into the backcountry, I don't know that there is much better within a reasonable distance of Boulder. I will definitely be spending as much of my free time as possible skiing or snowboarding next year. In fact, I'm thinking about a season pass at Baker, since I can stay with my parents in Bellingham, and have them watch my son while my wife and I go skiing.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:19 pm

jcl2 wrote:
Hey, we have good skiing, hiking, and climbing in Washington too. The ski areas closest to Seattle are overcrowded and too low for consistently good snow, but if you are willing to make the trek to Baker, or maybe Crystal, or to venture into the backcountry, I don't know that there is much better within a reasonable distance of Boulder.
I grew up skiing in WA, so I know the drill. =) Though I don't think the drive to Baker would be worth it over Crystal any day of the week, unless maybe there was really no snow at Crystal...

I wouldn't go to Boulder just for the skiing, anyway. I think it would be a great smaller town to live in for a few years - way different than Seattle. Plus, having grown up in the northwest, I wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a little bit longer before moving back. I don't miss the gray winters much- living in DC has taught me that sun feels GOOD in the winter time!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
Hey, we have good skiing, hiking, and climbing in Washington too. The ski areas closest to Seattle are overcrowded and too low for consistently good snow, but if you are willing to make the trek to Baker, or maybe Crystal, or to venture into the backcountry, I don't know that there is much better within a reasonable distance of Boulder.
I grew up skiing in WA, so I know the drill. =) Though I don't think the drive to Baker would be worth it over Crystal any day of the week, unless maybe there was really no snow at Crystal...

I wouldn't go to Boulder just for the skiing, anyway. I think it would be a great smaller town to live in for a few years - way different than Seattle. Plus, having grown up in the northwest, I wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a little bit longer before moving back. I don't miss the gray winters much- living in DC has taught me that sun feels GOOD in the winter time!
I totally agree, Boulder would be a nice place to live. The size and character of the city are pretty ideal, IMO, similar to Bellingham in a lot of ways, and the weather and scenery there are great. I just like to defend NW skiing, and outdoor recreation opportunities generally. I grew up snowboarding at Baker, hence my bias there :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”