U Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HG0506

New

Re: U Washington

Post by HG0506 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

I received a letter of rejection yesterday. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

SeattleToSF

New

Post by SeattleToSF » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:27 pm

HG0506 wrote:I received a letter of rejection yesterday. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
I am sorry to hear that. Does your status checker say anything under mailing date?

HG0506

New

Post by HG0506 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 am

Yes. The page was updated with a mailing date of the 6th of August.

wtrke

New

Post by wtrke » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Will be withdrawing Monday; attending elsewhere.

Good luck to those still waiting!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:54 am

Way early to the party, but UW is one of my top prospects and I realllllllly want to go here. Seeing what you guys went through perfectly mirrors the way I expect to act when those applications get checked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Way early to the party, but UW is one of my top prospects and I realllllllly want to go here. Seeing what you guys went through perfectly mirrors the way I expect to act when those applications get checked.
This is my top choice for next fall, as well. See you there! I hope.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:Way early to the party, but UW is one of my top prospects and I realllllllly want to go here. Seeing what you guys went through perfectly mirrors the way I expect to act when those applications get checked.
Are you from Washington? From what i've heard, they seem to prefer people from within the state over other students. Not sure how true this is considering that it seems about 40% of the entering classes are out of state. Being from California, I hope that doesn't put me at a disadvantage. Then again, my parents were from Argentina so I hope the whole 'hispanic' thing makes me look unique up in WA, lol.

3.67 GPA, Psychology B.A from UCLA, and I am currently averaging 165 on my practice LSATs. As long as I can hit 164 on the real deal, I think i've got a legit shot.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:39 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
Are you from Washington? From what i've heard, they seem to prefer people from within the state over other students. Not sure how true this is considering that it seems about 40% of the entering classes are out of state. Being from California, I hope that doesn't put me at a disadvantage. Then again, my parents were from Argentina so I hope the whole 'hispanic' thing makes me look unique up in WA, lol.

3.67 GPA, Psychology B.A from UCLA, and I am currently averaging 165 on my practice LSATs. As long as I can hit 164 on the real deal, I think i've got a legit shot.
This is sort of beside the point, but there are actually quite a few hispanic people in Washington. I worked in Yakima until I recently; there are actually more hispanic people there than european americans.

Good luck with your applications. I'm starting at UW this year. Let me know if you have any questions about the application process.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:12 am

jcl2 wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

This is sort of beside the point, but there are actually quite a few hispanic people in Washington. I worked in Yakima until I recently; there are actually more hispanic people there than european americans.

Good luck with your applications. I'm starting at UW this year. Let me know if you have any questions about the application process.
Haha, i know. Just trying to be lighthearted. How was the application overall? I read somewhere that they need a 'dean authorization.' What is that all about?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:02 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote: This is my top choice for next fall, as well. See you there! I hope.

Haha, i know. Just trying to be lighthearted. How was the application overall? I read somewhere that they need a 'dean authorization.' What is that all about?
The app is pretty straight forward for the most part. I think it would be helpful to really emphasize why you want to come to Washington in your PS. There were quite a few people in the 3.7/165-167 range who were rejected in the last couple years, and I speculate that not making it clear that they really wanted to come here may have been part of the issue for some.

The deans certification is just a form that has to be signed by your undergrad school's Dean of Students (called lots of different things at different schools), basically stating that you are or were in good standing with the school, or something like that. I think it is a little bit archaic, and it sounds like it has been difficult for some people to get it filled out and sent in in a timely manner. Definitely look into what you need to do to have that completed soon.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Just a heads up to you guys, I sent in my "Form B" which is the Dean's Certification thing, but after corresponding with UW Law admissions to make sure that they received it, I was informed by them that they will be discontinuing the Form B requirement this cycle.

If you don't want to take my word for it, perhaps contact them yourselves to confirm.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 pm

jcl2 wrote:The app is pretty straight forward for the most part. I think it would be helpful to really emphasize why you want to come to Washington in your PS. There were quite a few people in the 3.7/165-167 range who were rejected in the last couple years, and I speculate that not making it clear that they really wanted to come here may have been part of the issue for some.
My personal statement is not targeted, but I did write a brief one-page addendum on why I want to go to UW. Do you think this is a good idea? I really do have some good reasons, not BS. Lots of ties to the region, cousin went there, I plan to make Washington my home, etc. I want them to know they're not just another school to me, because they're not.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:54 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
jcl2 wrote:The app is pretty straight forward for the most part. I think it would be helpful to really emphasize why you want to come to Washington in your PS. There were quite a few people in the 3.7/165-167 range who were rejected in the last couple years, and I speculate that not making it clear that they really wanted to come here may have been part of the issue for some.
My personal statement is not targeted, but I did write a brief one-page addendum on why I want to go to UW. Do you think this is a good idea? I really do have some good reasons, not BS. Lots of ties to the region, cousin went there, I plan to make Washington my home, etc. I want them to know they're not just another school to me, because they're not.
I think that is definitely a good idea. This is total speculation, but I think they probably want to have the highest yield possible, so showing them that you actually want to come here will make them more confident that you will accept an offer of admission and that you won't just go to the highest ranked school you get into, because, based on numbers alone, if you get into UW you can probably get into someplace ranked a few spots higher.

Glad to hear they are getting rid of the Dean's Cert. I really didn't see the point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:46 am

Adjudicator wrote:Just a heads up to you guys, I sent in my "Form B" which is the Dean's Certification thing, but after corresponding with UW Law admissions to make sure that they received it, I was informed by them that they will be discontinuing the Form B requirement this cycle.

If you don't want to take my word for it, perhaps contact them yourselves to confirm.
Oh man, i hope that's true because the dean thing sounds utterly lame. When does the UW application go officially live on LSAC's site?

My biggest issue is that I am not too sure how I can really convince them that I want to go to UW. I've been to Seattle once and I fell in love with the city. I have no ties or family in WA and i'd pretty much be alone out there; however, I am tired of california and I really want to start a new life somewhere else. I really feel that WA can be that place. My own personal reason for UW being such a great school to attend in my eyes. Not sure it's a good enough reason to convince the admission officers though, lol.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

I remember reading this on their website a few months ago, but when I went to go look to copy and paste a quote it I can't seem to find it. It was stated that their target is for an entering class to be composed of 70% WA residents.

edit: they took that off of their FAQ for some reason, but using the internet archive it was written:

"Is preference given to Washington state residents?

It is faculty policy that approximately 70% be established as a target for the percentage of Washington state residents in the entering class. However, residency is not a major factor in an admissions decision."

So maybe they got rid of this policy? The latest entering class was only 58% residents.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:55 pm

fosterp wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

I remember reading this on their website a few months ago, but when I went to go look to copy and paste a quote it I can't seem to find it. It was stated that their target is for an entering class to be composed of 70% WA residents.

edit: they took that off of their FAQ for some reason, but using the internet archive it was written:

"Is preference given to Washington state residents?

It is faculty policy that approximately 70% be established as a target for the percentage of Washington state residents in the entering class. However, residency is not a major factor in an admissions decision."

So maybe they got rid of this policy? The latest entering class was only 58% residents.

It could be. The conspiracy theorists would say that more out-of-staters = more money. Honestly though, I think the high percentage of WA residents was just the fact that the majority of the applicants are WA residents. It would be sort of foolish for a school to weigh so much on a student simply because they reside in another state.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 pm

It could be. The conspiracy theorists would say that more out-of-staters = more money. Honestly though, I think the high percentage of WA residents was just the fact that the majority of the applicants are WA residents. It would be sort of foolish for a school to weigh so much on a student simply because they reside in another state.
Well they directly stated that it was policy to admit a majority of WA residents. While its not a major factor, they did say it "was" a factor. Admitting out of state does not give the school more money, it simply means the state does not not subsidize the tuition for non WA residents. As a result, the student must make up the part of tuition that would have otherwise been paid by the state for a resident.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”