Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moandersen

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 pm

sdegarmo wrote:

damn $425 for a 1 bedroom apartment??? I pay $500 to share a room in a 3BR Duplex in which all rooms are shared (Total Rent $3000/mo). ive never had enough money to afford my own room here, not even when i was on my parent's $

While cheaper housing is awesome (I live in Chicago), Im worried how much of a pay cut my fiance will take if we decide on WF. Currently our combined income is comfortable at over 100k, and with me obviously not working while in ls, it will be her job supporting us during those three years. Not going to lie, Im a little scared at how little the going rate is in the winston-salem area. :(

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

What does she do?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 pm

kalvano wrote:What does she do?

Shes a high school chem/biochem teacher (also certified in bio), has her masters, and has 3 years teaching experience at a top chicago hs. So shes definitely marketable anywhere in the country considering her credentials, but we quickly glanced at teacher salaries in NC and saw 37k :shock: huge pay cut if thats the case - though we are praying its wrong.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:17 pm

moandersen wrote:

Shes a high school chem/biochem teacher (also certified in bio), has her masters, and has 3 years teaching experience at a top chicago hs. So shes definitely marketable anywhere in the country considering her credentials, but we quickly glanced at teacher salaries in NC and saw 37k :shock: huge pay cut if thats the case - though we are praying its wrong.

I imagine the Chicago teachers unions are much better for teachers than those in NC

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

moandersen wrote:

No, my wife is a teacher. It's around $35K - $40K.

But it's much cheaper to live in NC than in Chicago.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:36 pm

kalvano wrote:No, my wife is a teacher. It's around $35K - $40K.

wow, thats incredibly depressing......

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm

moandersen wrote:

I think that's what it's like in most medium sized towns in America no?! Teachers where I grew up made about 35k - 40k I believe.

sotomayor

Postby sotomayor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm

what's the deal with administrative/committee review? i was in committee review on 1/22 and i just switched to committee review today.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 pm

missvik218 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I think that's what it's like in most medium sized towns in America no?! Teachers where I grew up made about 35k - 40k I believe.

I think 35k-40k starting out (read: fresh out of ug) is reasonable, no doubt. If you go to the burbs to teach, its ridiculous how much more they make than those teaching in the city though.

Im just trying to wrap my brain around how to make ends meet for two people on just 40k/year and its just not computing at the moment because Im thinking of Chicago's CoL. Maybe after our visit, ill understand a little better.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

moandersen wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I think 35k-40k starting out (read: fresh out of ug) is reasonable, no doubt. If you go to the burbs to teach, its ridiculous how much more they make than those teaching in the city though.

Im just trying to wrap my brain around how to make ends meet for two people on just 40k/year and its just not computing at the moment because Im thinking of Chicago's CoL. Maybe after our visit, ill understand a little better.

I'll try to throw you a monthly budget really quick (and, of course, I assume you aren't including tuition as part of that):

2 BR Apartment - $400-$600 (Random Sample) --LinkRemoved--
Cable/Internet/Utils- $150
Food - $300
Car Insurance - $50
Renter's Insurance - $20 (?)
Gasoline - $100
Personal Expenses - $150
Health Insurance - $250 (I'd assume you could get it through the student plan somehow for cheap if the union had a crappy plan)

That would be $1420-$1620. I'd assume she would take home about $2200/month after taxes. I think you could do it very comfortably.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm

moandersen wrote:Im thinking of Chicago's CoL.

That's your problem.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm

moandersen wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

It's much, much cheaper to live here, trust me. My parents (with me included, as I'm staying with them temporarily) live on ~$40,000 a year, maybe slightly less...and while they're by no means rich, they're also not in the poor house either. They're able to pay their bills just fine without living incredibly cheaply. We live about an hour from Winston-Salem. That salary would be a little rough if you're used to +$100,000 a year, but it'd only be for three years, right?

Also, maybe your wife could teach at a private school? I know public school teachers here in NC don't make much, but I have no idea about private school teachers. I could see them making more. With her credentials, I say she'd have at least a decent shot at getting a job at a private school, but I don't know much about teaching/the education system, so take that with a grain of salt.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm

My wife is also a highschool science teacher. Looks like they may possibly be each others competition :)

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

mytwocents wrote:
Also, maybe your wife could teach at a private school? I know public school teachers here in NC don't make much, but I have no idea about private school teachers. I could see them making more. With her credentials, I say she'd have at least a decent shot at getting a job at a private school, but I don't know much about teaching/the education system, so take that with a grain of salt.

Private schools pay significantly less than public schools.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:My wife is also a highschool science teacher. Looks like they may possibly be each others competition :)

or friends? 8) Looks like you have committed to wf already. I still have 6 schools to hear from, but if i get some $ from wf, its shooting to the top (or almost the top) of my list.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

d-cannon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

For some reason, that's really surprising. But also, I obviously didn't know what I was talking about...haha

Muddy

Postby Muddy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

ntzsch wrote:
d-cannon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

what? i cannot figure that one. maybe after benefits are included to the public teachers' salaries?

You’ll find many private school teachers also have their children enrolled there. The private schools pay less than the public schools, but they allow the teachers’ children to enroll with drastically reduced tuition. Many families find this to be worth it.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:21 am

ntzsch wrote:
d-cannon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

what? i cannot figure that one. maybe after benefits are included to the public teachers' salaries?

Many private schools were started with a large endowment. Tuition may cover 60-70% of a school's overhead. The most important job of most private school Presidents is fund raising. If a public school in a certain locale is paying $35K plus benefits to recent college grads, a private school in the same area MIGHT pay $25K, with inferior benefits.

I purchased a 40,000 sq ft school for a steal and looked into options for it. I interviewed the admin leaders at various private, charter, and public schools. I was rather surprised at the deficit faced by private schools with $10K/yr tuition x several hundred students.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 am

Muddy wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
d-cannon wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

You’ll find many private school teachers also have their children enrolled there. The private schools pay less than the public schools, but they allow the teachers’ children to enroll with drastically reduced tuition. Many families find this to be worth it.

Also, teachers at a private school may deal with a more engaged (dare I say, enjoyable?) audience. Money is not the only motivator for some people. Many private school teachers report a higher job satisfaction than public school teachers... similar to public service vs a firm job for JD holders, maybe?

sticknbindle

Postby sticknbindle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 am

who's comin on friday?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:20 am

sticknbindle wrote:who's comin on friday?

That'd be me. We leave D/FW tomorrow afternoon, fly in to Raleigh.

Up to Lexington, VA on Thursday, WF on Friday. See the town and whatnot in between.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 am

sticknbindle wrote:who's comin on friday?

I'll be there. I'm driving over Thursday afternoon and will come home on Saturday. Can't wait!

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 am

Anyone going on the 15th?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 am

I'm going on the 15th. Me and the fiancee plan on bumming around downtown afterwards. Should be a fun day =)

sotomayor

Postby sotomayor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 am

sotomayor wrote:what's the deal with administrative/committee review? i was in committee review on 1/22 and i just switched to committee review today.

?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”