Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby missvik218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:38 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote:Just got the e-mail. Offered $20k, but will probably withdraw my acceptance soon.

Same! Except for the withdrawing part, this makes Wake a lot more attractive to me.

Anyone else think that they've grossly over estimated COL expenses on the website?! $19,100 annually seems like A LOT to me for Winston Salem.


TLS has $8500 for room and board at Winston Salem

19,000 would put COL at the same as Los Angeles, which is pretty much impossible for a small city in north carolina to accomplish

Agreed, because I live in MIA now for about 20k ... no way Winston is even close.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:39 pm

missvik218 wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote:Just got the e-mail. Offered $20k, but will probably withdraw my acceptance soon.

Same! Except for the withdrawing part, this makes Wake a lot more attractive to me.

Anyone else think that they've grossly over estimated COL expenses on the website?! $19,100 annually seems like A LOT to me for Winston Salem.



I WANT MINE!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:NDIrish, I'm pretty sure WM>wake for d.c.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, William and Mary feeds into the D.C. market.


Oh yea, I think so too, it just depends on what the differences in overall cost of attendance are...trying to do a cost/benefit analysis, but not exactly sure what to make of the COL figures for W-S and Williamsburg

KansasSplitter
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby KansasSplitter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle

married0L
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby married0L » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

NDIrish,

Congrats on the scholarship.

I received one for 20,000/yr. Would you mind sharing your stats?

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle


Numbers if you don't mind me asking? (PM me if you don't want it to be public info).

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm

missvik218 wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote:Just got the e-mail. Offered $20k, but will probably withdraw my acceptance soon.

Same! Except for the withdrawing part, this makes Wake a lot more attractive to me.

Anyone else think that they've grossly over estimated COL expenses on the website?! $19,100 annually seems like A LOT to me for Winston Salem.


TLS has $8500 for room and board at Winston Salem

19,000 would put COL at the same as Los Angeles, which is pretty much impossible for a small city in north carolina to accomplish

Agreed, because I live in MIA now for about 20k ... no way Winston is even close.


I completely agree that COL is way over estimated. I live about thirty minutes away from winston now and pay around 400 dollars a month for my share in a two bedroom (including utilities). From what I have seen on sites such as apartments.com, rent for a similar apartment in Winston would run about the same.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:NDIrish, I'm pretty sure WM>wake for d.c.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, William and Mary feeds into the D.C. market.


Oh yea, I think so too, it just depends on what the differences in overall cost of attendance are...trying to do a cost/benefit analysis, but not exactly sure what to make of the COL figures for W-S and Williamsburg



I'm from virginia and have 2 sisters who go to William and Mary.

CoL is very cheap. I find it hard to imagine that William and Mary is not comparable to Winston Salem CoL. If it isn't I can't imagine its a large difference. Definitly not a big city or anything.

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:I completely agree that COL is way over estimated. I live about thirty minutes away from winston now and pay around 400 dollars a month for my share in a two bedroom (including utilities). From what I have seen on sites such as apartments.com, rent for a similar apartment in Winston would run about the same.


share room or your own bedroom?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle



Congrats man, that sounds awesome!

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:I completely agree that COL is way over estimated. I live about thirty minutes away from winston now and pay around 400 dollars a month for my share in a two bedroom (including utilities). From what I have seen on sites such as apartments.com, rent for a similar apartment in Winston would run about the same.


share room or your own bedroom?


My own bedroom and bathroom. This is another reason Wake is so attractive for me. COL is so cheap here, plus what you get for your money is nice.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:50 pm

18k 18k 18k a year!

oMG! 165 3.06... Wasn't even thinking i would get in!!!


PEACE OUT GEORGIA.

WOOOTIESWOOTIES

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
KansasSplitter wrote:Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle


Numbers if you don't mind me asking? (PM me if you don't want it to be public info).


URM

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
KansasSplitter wrote:Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle


Numbers if you don't mind me asking? (PM me if you don't want it to be public info).


URM


Ah. Thanks. On LSN, it looks like the full-rides last year (i.e. the ones worth over $100,000) were given only to URMS. Does anyone know if there are any full-rides for non-URMS?

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:19 pm

I
PirateCap'n wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
KansasSplitter wrote:Full ride. I actually started to tear up at work and left early to celebrate. Typical parking lot scene with dancing and yelling in a business suit.

/cycle


Numbers if you don't mind me asking? (PM me if you don't want it to be public info).


URM


Ah. Thanks. On LSN, it looks like the full-rides last year (i.e. the ones worth over $100,000) were given only to URMS. Does anyone know if there are any full-rides for non-URMS?


I'm sure the Fletcher is available to anyone. But they only give out two of those so.....yea.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:I'm sure the Fletcher is available to anyone. But they only give out two of those so.....yea.


Sorry. I should have clarified. Any full-rides for non-URMs other than the Fletcher? (I was already aware of it).

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:29 pm

lol they only give out 2 fletcher scholarships?

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Threepeat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Just got home from work and saw the email: 18k/year! Pretty much what I was expecting but now it makes it competitive with my other options.

Congrats everyone who heard good news today!!

I wish I could get down before March 5th for a slim shot at the Fletcher, but it's not possible with my work schedule. Anyways, I'm signing up for the March 19th open house (Haha my parents will be coming. I'm not signing them up as guests, but it will be nice to have them there for another perspective on the school/facilities).

I hope to see some of you on the 19th!!

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Congrats to everybody who got scholarship offers today. Since I am relatively sure I will be at Wake Forest come August, I hope that many of you will join me and I look forward to meeting those of you who do. I can't wait til August (although I have way too much stuff to do between now and then)! :?

Also, even if you aren't sure where you will be going, feel free to join the "Wake Forest Law Class of 2013" facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=i ... 0155809099).

NeedAdviceNow
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby NeedAdviceNow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 pm

I am in Administrative Review since 1/12. Is it a bad sign?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 pm

NeedAdviceNow wrote:I am in Administrative Review since 1/12. Is it a bad sign?


Yes. If you are in administrative review for longer than 10 days it means you are automatically rejected... :roll:

As I've said multiple times in this thread... I was in administrative review for 2 and a half months, and I just got an 18k/yr scholly...

Relax =)

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 pm

20K per year. I was maybe hoping for a tad more, but then I remembered their relatively low tuition. 15K tuition isn't too bad. I don't like GPA requirements, but I guess 2/3 isn't bad. The tough decisions are starting to pile up.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

2/3 not so bad? The only thing I've seen more leinant than that is the unconditional scholarship. Furthermore, you get to keep 1/2 even if you drop below 2/3rds.

IMO, the conditions of scholarship are great.

User avatar
Margo1020
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Margo1020 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm a 1L at Wake. If anyone has questions about Wake or the upcoming scholar days, feel free to ask! Congrats to all those who have been accepted - hope to see you next year! :D

LiveFree
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LiveFree » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Margo,

Two questions for ya:

1) Where do most 1Ls choose to live?

2) Would you mind to elaborate on the social scene in Winston-Salem? What does the city have to offer?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laowhynot109 and 7 guests