Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:04 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Congrats everyone! I'm sure those of you 164+/3.0+ will be getting some nice scholarships in the future! Wake is known for showing the money. While I am not committed right just yet, I do like the small 1L class size Wake offers compared to most law schools.


Just in. 165, 3.0x. Do you have any basis for your claim of scholarship money?

I would love to go to Wake, but Georgia works out to about 60k. I'd much rather go to Wake, but unless they can get me near 60k total... well It be hard to go to Wake with little scholarship $ ITE


on http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/ look at the attending students (these are the ones who usually update their actual scholarship amounts, many withdraw before getting an offer). If you have a 164/3.0 and don't get money then it would be financially stupid to turn down the offers you would get from Alabama, UGA and possibly UNC as they are cheaper due to being public.



Thanks. I haven't applied to UNC. Do you think they woudl take a 165 3.0x out of state? I got the impression that they would only take those numbers in state... I know nothing is set in stone but... your impressions?

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Congrats everyone! I'm sure those of you 164+/3.0+ will be getting some nice scholarships in the future! Wake is known for showing the money. While I am not committed right just yet, I do like the small 1L class size Wake offers compared to most law schools.


Just in. 165, 3.0x. Do you have any basis for your claim of scholarship money?

I would love to go to Wake, but Georgia works out to about 60k. I'd much rather go to Wake, but unless they can get me near 60k total... well It be hard to go to Wake with little scholarship $ ITE


on http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/ look at the attending students (these are the ones who usually update their actual scholarship amounts, many withdraw before getting an offer). If you have a 164/3.0 and don't get money then it would be financially stupid to turn down the offers you would get from Alabama, UGA and possibly UNC as they are cheaper due to being public.



Thanks. I haven't applied to UNC. Do you think they woudl take a 165 3.0x out of state? I got the impression that they would only take those numbers in state... I know nothing is set in stone but... your impressions?


I think you have a great shot, probably 50/50. I would be shocked if you were out right rejected.

User avatar
flowerpot
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:04 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby flowerpot » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm

TUhustler wrote:So is it safe to say that we probably won't hear anything again until next Friday? I seem to recall someone saying earlier that Wake was going to send out decesions on Fridays. Also is it just me or does it seem like no one has been rejected or waitlisted yet?



I don't think so. I called Wake Forest and asked when I would be hearing from them if I was under "Administrative Review" and the lady on the phone told me it could be as soon as early next week.

TUhustler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby TUhustler » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 pm

flowerpot wrote:
TUhustler wrote:So is it safe to say that we probably won't hear anything again until next Friday? I seem to recall someone saying earlier that Wake was going to send out decesions on Fridays. Also is it just me or does it seem like no one has been rejected or waitlisted yet?



I don't think so. I called Wake Forest and asked when I would be hearing from them if I was under "Administrative Review" and the lady on the phone told me it could be as soon as early next week.


Thanks, I applied early November and Wake is one of my top choices so I'm getting anxious. I visited last year, the campus is beautiful and Winston Salem doesn't seem like a bad place to spend three years.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?


I'm going to the one on Feb. 5th. But I'll be interested to hear about it and what you think.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:54 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?


I'm going to the one on Feb. 5th. But I'll be interested to hear about it and what you think.


Not a problem, I plan on taking pics, hopefully that works out (i'm bad with remembering camera). I wonder what they are serving, a scholarship dinner I attended at Penn State last year was awesome!

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 pm

ntzsch wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?



i think i may be going for the Feb. 5th one, but I have no real reason to pick either way.


Aside: what do ppl wear at these things. Khakis and a button up shirt is good enough?


Sounds good to me, I was going to ask on here. Dress code was spelled out for others I've been invited to. I wonder why Wake is having two back to back? It would make more sense to have one or the other, maybe I should take the 5th so we can all meet.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Unfortunately, the one on the 29th isn't an option for me cause I'll be in DC for work, so I'm glad they're having a second one. I'd love for you guys to come to the one on the 5th so that I can meet you.

I'm planning to wear black/brown pants and a nice shirt. More on the business casual side. But I'd think khakis and a button-up would be fine.

I remember Lishi saying the food was excellent 2 years ago, so hopefully it'll be good this time too.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 pm

ntzsch wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Unfortunately, the one on the 29th isn't an option for me cause I'll be in DC for work, so I'm glad they're having a second one. I'd love for you guys to come to the one on the 5th so that I can meet you.

I'm planning to wear black/brown pants and a nice shirt. More on the business casual side. But I'd think khakis and a button-up would be fine.

I remember Lishi saying the food was excellent 2 years ago, so hopefully it'll be good this time too.



hell yes, maybe i'll go to both 29th and the 5th (and get kicked out before 1L even starts!)


Haha!!!

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:39 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:on http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/ look at the attending students (these are the ones who usually update their actual scholarship amounts, many withdraw before getting an offer). If you have a 164/3.0 and don't get money then it would be financially stupid to turn down the offers you would get from Alabama, UGA and possibly UNC as they are cheaper due to being public.


After doing some research about UNC, I think people should be aware that It is really hard to obtain instate residency for OOS students looking at UNC. Apparently only 30% of out of staters get it, which means OOS students could very easily get stuck with 90k, instead of 60k that would happen if they could get residency.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 am

ntzsch wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?



i think i may be going for the Feb. 5th one, but I have no real reason to pick either way.


Aside: what do ppl wear at these things. Khakis and a button up shirt is good enough?


Sounds good to me, I was going to ask on here. Dress code was spelled out for others I've been invited to. I wonder why Wake is having two back to back? It would make more sense to have one or the other, maybe I should take the 5th so we can all meet.



secret handshake??? (i may be too bashful to even disclose the person behind my tls persona)

haha, i may actually go to the 29th one, but for some reason i would like to know if i get into UNC or not before I go. and, although i should not hold my breath, i feel that the first week of Feb. is somewhat realistic for UNC decisions b/c last year mid-Feb is when decisions started coming in there, and they have said that they are a bit ahead of where they were last-year at this time.

i was kindof hoping that $$$ would make the UNC v. Wake decision easy (assuming I get UNC), but it really made it an extremely difficult one now that wake is a few K cheaper, something I never considered.

the two schools are so different but so even.

The thing that UNC has (if I even get in) over Wake is no threat of losing a scholarship (provided I don't get one that is). If I bomb at Wake there is the potential of paying 35k 2L and 3L. But I am going to visit and see what's up. Don't be to worried about being shy, sometimes I am also.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby missvik218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 am

I'm thinking the 3/19 one looks good, hopefully most decisions will be made and most scholarship offers as well from schools.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:39 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Who else is signed up for the 29th ASD?



secret handshake??? (i may be too bashful to even disclose the person behind my tls persona)

haha, i may actually go to the 29th one, but for some reason i would like to know if i get into UNC or not before I go. and, although i should not hold my breath, i feel that the first week of Feb. is somewhat realistic for UNC decisions b/c last year mid-Feb is when decisions started coming in there, and they have said that they are a bit ahead of where they were last-year at this time.

i was kindof hoping that $$$ would make the UNC v. Wake decision easy (assuming I get UNC), but it really made it an extremely difficult one now that wake is a few K cheaper, something I never considered.

the two schools are so different but so even.

The thing that UNC has (if I even get in) over Wake is no threat of losing a scholarship (provided I don't get one that is). If I bomb at Wake there is the potential of paying 35k 2L and 3L. But I am going to visit and see what's up. Don't be to worried about being shy, sometimes I am also.


The only thing I can say to this is that unlike other schools, at least at Wake if you fall below 2/3 rank-wise and are still in good academic standing, you still get half of your scholarship (most schools take it all away). With a class size of about 150, you'd have to do better than 50 people. If you're not in good academic standing, you've got other issues, including possibly not continuing with school.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Does Wake offer any reimbursement for ASD?

Damn, airfare is expensive.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 pm

kalvano wrote:Does Wake offer any reimbursement for ASD?

Damn, airfare is expensive.


I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that they'll only help if someone has extreme financial need. I'm not sure what that means, so it'd probably be best to contact the admissions office directly. If you do, please post what you find out on here, cause I'm sure there are others who are interested.

JayCole
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby JayCole » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:44 pm

How long does an application typically stay in administrative review?

User avatar
LadyTarHeelian
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 pm

JayCole wrote:How long does an application typically stay in administrative review?


Been there since December 9th. Getting depressing.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 pm

kalvano wrote:Does Wake offer any reimbursement for ASD?

Damn, airfare is expensive.


They told me the wont reimburse. Seems they put all the resources into the very generous scholarships.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:09 pm

So who is going to call and see what they will be serving :) j/k

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:
JayCole wrote:How long does an application typically stay in administrative review?


Been there since December 9th. Getting depressing.


Thats no reason for depression.

I was administrative review for most of all october, all of november and all of december. It finally changed to accepted on January 15. I wouldnt worry about being in administrative review for a while.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:
JayCole wrote:How long does an application typically stay in administrative review?


Been there since December 9th. Getting depressing.


To give you a glimmer of hope I was accepted last year with a 159/3.6, I was in review for at least 4 months.

User avatar
slowmo2385
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby slowmo2385 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Would I be missing out if I went to a later ASD rather than the Scholar's Open House? It would be far more convenient for me to go later but I don't want to miss the boat on the extra money/study abroad discussed earlier in the thread

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 pm

slowmo2385 wrote:Would I be missing out if I went to a later ASD rather than the Scholar's Open House? It would be far more convenient for me to go later but I don't want to miss the boat on the extra money/study abroad discussed earlier in the thread


Door prizes! Awesome, j/k.

I don't know to be honest. I think I was the one who posted about the paid study abroad, but I don't know if they were given them at Scholars Open House, just that they had them. Call and ask if you would be missing out if you waited to attend.

Edit: Looked through last years thread and some people did indeed get these. One guy got a study abroad from scholars open house (it was awarded weeks later but he said it came from the scholars open house competition?) and another one guy got a 3/4 scholarship after visiting (not sure if this was Scholars open or ASD).

User avatar
slowmo2385
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby slowmo2385 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
slowmo2385 wrote:Would I be missing out if I went to a later ASD rather than the Scholar's Open House? It would be far more convenient for me to go later but I don't want to miss the boat on the extra money/study abroad discussed earlier in the thread


Door prizes! Awesome, j/k.

I don't know to be honest. I think I was the one who posted about the paid study abroad, but I don't know if they were given them at Scholars Open House, just that they had them. Call and ask if you would be missing out if you waited to attend.

Edit: Looked through last years thread and some people did indeed get these. One guy got a study abroad from scholars open house (it was awarded weeks later but he said it came from the scholars open house competition?) and another one guy got a 3/4 scholarship after visiting (not sure if this was Scholars open or ASD).


Audibly chuckled at that. I actually just looked at the dates for the later ones and it turns out they are worse for me, so I'll be there on the 5th with expectations of fantastic food and door prizes.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, addie1412, ashrice13, Houzy, JD_Kingfish, jjfyre, LawSchoolTitan, lazarzhr, mm2368, Mr. Bubbles, sspeckk, themouse92, tinafeyclone and 37 guests