Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisokc

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby chrisokc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:01 pm

d-cannon wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:How many others have kids? 22 month old and 3 week old here :)

5yr old and 3 yr old... does anyone know of GOOD public elementary schools within a half hour radius of the school?

9 year old and 8 year old girls.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:17 pm

d-cannon wrote:

5yr old and 3 yr old... does anyone know of GOOD public elementary schools within a half hour radius of the school?

[url]http://www.greatschools.org/north-carolina/winston_salem/elementary-schools/?pageSize=25&sortColumn=ratingsHeader&sortDirection=desc&p=1&sortSelection=GS+Rating
[/url]

Nice to know there are so many of us!

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 pm

My Status Checker still says "Committee Review" but I submitted my app 11/24. Should I call them? Or do you think it's taking this long because it's a big ol' fat rejection?

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:24 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
d-cannon wrote:

[url]http://www.greatschools.org/north-carolina/winston_salem/elementary-schools/?pageSize=25&sortColumn=ratingsHeader&sortDirection=desc&p=1&sortSelection=GS+Rating
[/url]

Nice to know there are so many of us!

Thanks so much! How did I miss this? I looked on great schools about a month ago and only found 5's and 6's... this may be a game changer...

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:00 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Congrats everyone! I'm sure those of you 164+/3.0+ will be getting some nice scholarships in the future! Wake is known for showing the money. While I am not committed right just yet, I do like the small 1L class size Wake offers compared to most law schools.

Just in. 165, 3.0x. Do you have any basis for your claim of scholarship money?

I would love to go to Wake, but Georgia works out to about 60k. I'd much rather go to Wake, but unless they can get me near 60k total... well It be hard to go to Wake with little scholarship $ ITE

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:04 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:My Status Checker still says "Committee Review" but I submitted my app 11/24. Should I call them? Or do you think it's taking this long because it's a big ol' fat rejection?

I'm feeling the same way. I've been under Administrative Review since 12/9 and people with identical stats (within .04 on GPA) have gotten in who applied later than I did.

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:06 pm

In today via email! 164, 3.4

That correction email scared me though. Anyways, congrats to all of those who have been admitted!

I've been a long time lurker in this thread (I'm real superstitious so I though posting might jinx my chances). Wake's one of my top choices simply for the atmosphere and the type of people they attract.

Haha time to creep and acknowledge that I've been stalkin people (Louis Gomez- congrats on your decision to attend wake!, tstyler-ha I know you said you're close to making your decision, LSATfromNC, missvik, and others that I know I'm missing due to my excitement) but you all seem like the type of people I would like to go to school with!

I still need to get some money from Wake to make this a real possibility, but hopefully they'll come through. Congrats again to everyone admitted and good luck to everyone else waiting!

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm

for those of you who got in, do you know what your status checker says now? mine is in "administrative review"... any idea how long i could/should be there? thanks!

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm

leraa6587 wrote:for those of you who got in, do you know what your status checker says now? mine is in "administrative review"... any idea how long i could/should be there? thanks!

I was "administrative review" 12/9. Now it says "Congrats" 1/15. I had about a month of waiting, but a week and a half or so of that was holidays.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Threepeat wrote:In today via email! 164, 3.4

That correction email scared me though. Anyways, congrats to all of those who have been admitted!

I've been a long time lurker in this thread (I'm real superstitious so I though posting might jinx my chances). Wake's one of my top choices simply for the atmosphere and the type of people they attract.

Haha time to creep and acknowledge that I've been stalkin people (Louis Gomez- congrats on your decision to attend wake!, tstyler-ha I know you said you're close to making your decision, LSATfromNC, missvik, and others that I know I'm missing due to my excitement) but you all seem like the type of people I would like to go to school with!

I still need to get some money from Wake to make this a real possibility, but hopefully they'll come through. Congrats again to everyone admitted and good luck to everyone else waiting!

Thanks Threepeat! Congrats on your acceptance. While I can't speak for Wake, looking at those on LSN (http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants) that received scholarships already, there are several on there with similar numbers (164, 3.39-3.46ish) that received $18,000/year. So, I would think you are likely to receive that as well. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :-)

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I was taking a look around LSN for 08-09 and 07-08 acceptances...and it seems hardly anyone with lower than a 164 gets any scholarship money. I thought Wake was fairly generous? I'm at or above medians for both LSAT and GPA, so it's not like I barely got in. Wake has always been in my top 3, but I was really, really starting to get excited about them so this is so disheartening. Sorry to sound like a Bitter Betty, but seriously, how can they go from offering 164's 20K a year to offering 163's almost nothing? That's like a 2 question difference! There's really almost no way I could go to Wake without any scholarship money...I don't feel comfortable paying back that much debt ITE (I know it's getting better, but there are no guarantees job-wise and I refuse to just assume that I'll find something quickly) when I have a pretty solid chance at getting into UNC (in-state tuition FTW) and decent scholarship offers at other, albeit lesser, schools.

Sorry for the negativity...I had a shitty day at a new job, I'm STILL "held for further review" at UGA after 2 months and have heard absolutely nothing yet from UNC, so I'm kind of throwing myself a little pity party via TLS, haha.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm

mytwocents wrote:I was taking a look around LSN for 08-09 and 07-08 acceptances...and it seems hardly anyone with lower than a 164 gets any scholarship money. I thought Wake was fairly generous? I'm at or above medians for both LSAT and GPA, so it's not like I barely got in. Wake has always been in my top 3, but I was really, really starting to get excited about them so this is so disheartening. Sorry to sound like a Bitter Betty, but seriously, how can they go from offering 164's 20K a year to offering 163's almost nothing? That's like a 2 question difference! There's really almost no way I could go to Wake without any scholarship money...I don't feel comfortable paying back that much debt ITE (I know it's getting better, but there are no guarantees job-wise and I refuse to just assume that I'll find something quickly) when I have a pretty solid chance at getting into UNC (in-state tuition FTW) and decent scholarship offers at other, albeit lesser, schools.

Sorry for the negativity...I had a shitty day at a new job, I'm STILL "held for further review" at UGA after 2 months and have heard absolutely nothing yet from UNC, so I'm kind of throwing myself a little pity party via TLS, haha.

No problem. We've all been there. That's the hard thing about this whole process. You have to decide what is right for you. Some people are all about the ranking, and they don't care how much debt they'll take on. Some people don't want the debt, so they forego a higher ranked school for a lower ranked one that is cheaper (via scholarships or in-state tuition).

I've heard from many people on this board that Ms. Nutt is very forthcoming with providing a candidate with an idea of whether they will get a scholarship. You could try calling her or e-mailing her, explaining that you really want to attend Wake, but that you'd need a scholarship, and ask what are your chances of receiving one. You might not get an answer or the answer you're hoping for, but you never know unless you give it a shot.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the average LSAT a 163? I feel like getting scholarship money while at the median is rare.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the average LSAT a 163? I feel like getting scholarship money while at the median is rare.

Their website only lists 25th & 75th for Class of 2012.

LSAT --> 160/164
GPA --> 3.26/3.71

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the average LSAT a 163? I feel like getting scholarship money while at the median is rare.

No, you're right. I'm not expecting what others have gotten..I mean, they got higher LSAT scores and deserve the perks that come along with them! But considering Wake's reputation as being fairly generous with scholarships (at least in relation to its peer schools), I'm just really surprised that they'd stop offering ANYTHING after 164. I mean, c'mon Wake...not even a little bit of help? I counted maybe 2 people on LSN with a 163 who got any $$. But Wake is an excellent school with an excellent reputation (especially within NC), so I'm sure they have no trouble convincing people to attend, money or not.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 pm

mytwocents wrote:

No, you're right. I'm not expecting what others have gotten..I mean, they got higher LSAT scores and deserve the perks that come along with them! But considering Wake's reputation as being fairly generous with scholarships (at least in relation to its peer schools), I'm just really surprised that they'd stop offering ANYTHING after 164. I mean, c'mon Wake...not even a little bit of help? I counted maybe 2 people on LSN with a 163 who got any $$. But Wake is an excellent school with an excellent reputation (especially within NC), so I'm sure they have no trouble convincing people to attend, money or not.

I'm sure there are others out there with 163 that got a scholarship, but just aren't on LSN. LSN consists of such a small percentage of applicants.

I think at this point they are trying to lure in those with numbers around their 75th, and once they make more admissions decisions and know what their overall applicant pool is, as well as who accepts their offer and who doesn't, they'll offer scholarships to those with lower numbers.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

I'm sure there are others out there with 163 that got a scholarship, but just aren't on LSN. LSN consists of such a small percentage of applicants.

I think at this point they are trying to lure in those with numbers around their 75th, and once they make more admissions decisions and know what their overall applicant pool is, as well as who accepts their offer and who doesn't, they'll offer scholarships to those with lower numbers.

You're so right. I'm just in a bad mood tonight, so don't mind me haha :oops:

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:56 pm

mytwocents wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

You're so right. I'm just in a bad mood tonight, so don't mind me haha :oops:

No problem! We're all entitled to those now and then.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
mytwocents wrote:I was taking a look around LSN for 08-09 and 07-08 acceptances...and it seems hardly anyone with lower than a 164 gets any scholarship money. I thought Wake was fairly generous? I'm at or above medians for both LSAT and GPA, so it's not like I barely got in. Wake has always been in my top 3, but I was really, really starting to get excited about them so this is so disheartening. Sorry to sound like a Bitter Betty, but seriously, how can they go from offering 164's 20K a year to offering 163's almost nothing? That's like a 2 question difference! There's really almost no way I could go to Wake without any scholarship money...I don't feel comfortable paying back that much debt ITE (I know it's getting better, but there are no guarantees job-wise and I refuse to just assume that I'll find something quickly) when I have a pretty solid chance at getting into UNC (in-state tuition FTW) and decent scholarship offers at other, albeit lesser, schools.

No problem. We've all been there. That's the hard thing about this whole process. You have to decide what is right for you. Some people are all about the ranking, and they don't care how much debt they'll take on. Some people don't want the debt, so they forego a higher ranked school for a lower ranked one that is cheaper (via scholarships or in-state tuition).

I've heard from many people on this board that Ms. Nutt is very forthcoming with providing a candidate with an idea of whether they will get a scholarship. You could try calling her or e-mailing her, explaining that you really want to attend Wake, but that you'd need a scholarship, and ask what are your chances of receiving one. You might not get an answer or the answer you're hoping for, but you never know unless you give it a shot.

That she is. I don't want to get into specifics but last year, in a nice way, she was to the point that I would not get a scholarship with my old numbers.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Congrats everyone! I'm sure those of you 164+/3.0+ will be getting some nice scholarships in the future! Wake is known for showing the money. While I am not committed right just yet, I do like the small 1L class size Wake offers compared to most law schools.

Just in. 165, 3.0x. Do you have any basis for your claim of scholarship money?

I would love to go to Wake, but Georgia works out to about 60k. I'd much rather go to Wake, but unless they can get me near 60k total... well It be hard to go to Wake with little scholarship $ ITE

on http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/ look at the attending students (these are the ones who usually update their actual scholarship amounts, many withdraw before getting an offer). If you have a 164/3.0 and don't get money then it would be financially stupid to turn down the offers you would get from Alabama, UGA and possibly UNC as they are cheaper due to being public.

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:15 am

So is it safe to say that we probably won't hear anything again until next Friday? I seem to recall someone saying earlier that Wake was going to send out decesions on Fridays. Also is it just me or does it seem like no one has been rejected or waitlisted yet?

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 am

So has anyone else switched over to 'Admitted Scholar' or has it just been that first group so far? And has everyone from that first batch of 'Admitted Scholars' received some type of $$$?

Really hoping to get a money offer.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 am

jbrowning82 wrote:So has anyone else switched over to 'Admitted Scholar' or has it just been that first group so far? And has everyone from that first batch of 'Admitted Scholars' received some type of $$$?

Really hoping to get a money offer.

I'd give it a little time. I was accepted on 12/18, but we didn't hear about scholarships until almost a month later (changed to "Admitted Scholar" on 1/8, received scholarship e-mail on 1/12). I'm sure they'll start notifying people sooner now, but I'd still give it some time.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 am

I was admitted on 12/18 also but I'm still on Congratulations!

Anyone think I have a chance at some $$$?

3.1/169/Peace Corps

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 pm

I've heard from many people on this board that Ms. Nutt is very forthcoming with providing a candidate with an idea of whether they will get a scholarship. You could try calling her or e-mailing her, explaining that you really want to attend Wake, but that you'd need a scholarship, and ask what are your chances of receiving one. You might not get an answer or the answer you're hoping for, but you never know unless you give it a shot.[/quote]

DO you think doing that would increase or decrease chances of getting a scholarship? I don't want to do anything to mess up my chances?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”