Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lml09

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 am

What are you girls planning on wearing? I was going to wear a nice dress shirt and dark washed jeans. The picture is only waist up so I really don't want to wear dress pants or a skirt the rest of the day.

Plus, I woke up with a 102 degree fever this morning. Just another reason why i wont wear pantyhose on Friday.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

PirateCap'n wrote:So.....what's everybody planning on wearing Friday (the guys specifically)? I don't particularly care to be over or under-dressed, so a consensus would be kind of nice. Anybody else planning on just wearing shorts, button-down shirt and tie, and sports coat for the picture and then just changing afterwards? It'll look pretty odd, but that seems like the best way to go about it to me.

Im debating since ill probably go home and change completely since my last name starts with "A". As of right now im going with the full suit and tie. My issue is whether I go with the power ties I have, or the more stylish ones. I also dont know which suit to wear (black, light pinstripe, or gray). Black is boring, but since the pics are for our profs and potential employers, are we looking to conform or to stand out? haha, it probably doesnt matter which way and im just over-thinking it though.

I did send out an email to jenny and she said business up top and casual on the bottom is more than ok. if i end up not going home, ill probably do that.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:So.....what's everybody planning on wearing Friday (the guys specifically)? I don't particularly care to be over or under-dressed, so a consensus would be kind of nice. Anybody else planning on just wearing shorts, button-down shirt and tie, and sports coat for the picture and then just changing afterwards? It'll look pretty odd, but that seems like the best way to go about it to me.

Im debating since ill probably go home and change completely since my last name starts with "A". As of right now im going with the full suit and tie. My issue is whether I go with the power ties I have, or the more stylish ones. I also dont know which suit to wear (black, light pinstripe, or gray). Black is boring, but since the pics are for our profs and potential employers, are we looking to conform or to stand out? haha, it probably doesnt matter which way and im just over-thinking it though.

I did send out an email to jenny and she said business up top and casual on the bottom is more than ok. if i end up not going home, ill probably do that.

I'll be in the first group as well, so, like you said, that will probably leave time to go home and change. It might be easier to just go ahead and go "full-suit." As for suit choices, I'm probably going with a lightly pinstriped charcoal and a fairly conservative tie. I would say that it's probably better to conform than to stand out in those kinds of things (but....that's just me, and I doubt it really matters that much).

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:08 pm

I searched around online and decided to compare those prices to the Wake bookstore before I bought them. Luckily, the bookstore was a lot cheaper than the books I found on half.com (if the books in the bookstore were used). Even some of the new books were the same price as the ones on half. I ended up spending around $689, bought one book on half.com for 50, and I still have 3 more to get (all suggested). I am planning on getting all suggested books.

Also, for anyone interested: I found a used book store called Piedmont Used Books. It's on Reynolda Road in a shopping center next to Food Lion. I found one of the suggested books in there for 4 dollars, as well as a Civ Pro suggested book for 4 dollars (although it is an earlier edition). I also got the John Grisham book for 2 dollars. Anyway, it's worth checking out. They also buy books.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm

guitarborder wrote:Yeah I may not even wear a jacket unless we have to. Probably just a button down shirt and tie with khakis or jeans...then change after

You might want to take a jacket just to be safe. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wear one since the pictures will be used (at least sometimes) to show to prospective employers. Probably isn't a big deal either way, but it's worth giving it some thought.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:00 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
guitarborder wrote:Yeah I may not even wear a jacket unless we have to. Probably just a button down shirt and tie with khakis or jeans...then change after

You might want to take a jacket just to be safe. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wear one since the pictures will be used (at least sometimes) to show to prospective employers. Probably isn't a big deal either way, but it's worth giving it some thought.

Why would they show these pictures to perspective employers? Wouldn't we just send in our resume and then have an interview? I've never heard of that....

But if that's the case, then lookin sexy it is!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23 pm

guitarborder wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Why would they show these pictures to perspective employers? Wouldn't we just send in our resume and then have an interview? I've never heard of that....

But if that's the case, then lookin sexy it is!

I guess prospective employers want to get a sense of the stylishness of job candidates? Ha. I have no clue. I'm just basing this off what I've heard from a couple of sources and off the email from Dean Gibbs. The email says, "Pictures on Friday August 13: These are “head shots” that will be used as an internal directory but at times are used for professional purposes. My advice is to make sure that you look “professional” from the waist up. Some guys come in a nice shirt and shorts, simply bringing a jacket for the professional look. Women often wear a professional looking blouse with shorts or slacks."

I've heard that those "professional purposes" are for showing prospective employers. Just thought a heads-up might be in order. Like I said though, I doubt it will be seriously detrimental to your career if you just do a shirt and tie.

placencia

Postby placencia » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 pm

FYI, I went by and picked up the Office for $40. It's Office Professional if anyone is wondering, and it includes OneNote. It's a great deal. If anyone is interested, stop by the third floor of the Worrell Building and find Ed Ralinski. His office is near one of the elevators where they are doing some remodeling work. It's only cash or check, though, so just be aware of that.

Also, for anyone who is wondering, the financial aid checks, etc., will be addressed this Friday.

owt

Postby owt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 pm

placencia wrote:FYI, I went by and picked up the Office for $40. It's Office Professional if anyone is wondering, and it includes OneNote. It's a great deal. If anyone is interested, stop by the third floor of the Worrell Building and find Ed Ralinski. His office is near one of the elevators where they are doing some remodeling work. It's only cash or check, though, so just be aware of that.

Also, for anyone who is wondering, the financial aid checks, etc., will be addressed this Friday.

Thanks for the tip, OneNote sounds great.

Has anyone bought the Citation Blue Book by Columbia Law Review? It's for the legal writing class. I looked on Amazon and it was listed for $170 :shock: Maybe (hopefully) I'm looking at the wrong book?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:57 pm

owt wrote:
placencia wrote:FYI, I went by and picked up the Office for $40. It's Office Professional if anyone is wondering, and it includes OneNote. It's a great deal. If anyone is interested, stop by the third floor of the Worrell Building and find Ed Ralinski. His office is near one of the elevators where they are doing some remodeling work. It's only cash or check, though, so just be aware of that.

Has anyone bought the Citation Blue Book by Columbia Law Review? It's for the legal writing class. I looked on Amazon and it was listed for $170 :shock: Maybe (hopefully) I'm looking at the wrong book?

I bought one and it was $45 new. I see the one you're talking about. The folks selling that particular book are just jacking the price WAY up. Here's a link to the ones that are between 45-70 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/Bluebook-Uniform-System-Citation-19th/dp/9301010720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281480872&sr=8-1

I could very well be wrong, but I believe that it is the same Bluebook that everyone is referencing. It says "Harvard Law Review" in the title, but then it also says "Columbia Law Review" in several places too. It would be pretty nice if the profs would be so kind as to give an ISBN if there is one, but, without one, I think this is the correct book.

If you google "The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, 19th Edition," one of the first results is http://www.legalbluebook.com/Purchase/Products.aspx?op=Book, which seems to be what everyone is searching for (for only $32). If any current students can chime in on whether this is the right Bluebook as far as you know, that would be great.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I bought it new at the campus bookstore. I think it was 40 there.
owt wrote:

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Hey, I am living right next to the law school and I was wondring if anyone would consider trading a free parking place for occasional rides to costco--I dont have a car.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am

This morning, I was told by Janet Cromer not to purchase books until after the first day of orientation: the sections are changing for some students.

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 am

exitlane wrote:This morning, I was told by Janet Cromer not to purchase books until after the first day of orientation: the sections are changing for some students.

Nooooo! I like my section! And anyone else notice the major changes to the WIN VirtualCampus page?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 am

exitlane wrote:This morning, I was told by Janet Cromer not to purchase books until after the first day of orientation: the sections are changing for some students.

wow, that would suck incredibly for many of us.....time to check win.

edit- im still in the same section for now. two more days to sweat it out I guess. i just started to receive the books I ordered. it would be a huge pain if i had to return some of them.

owt

Postby owt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 am

I got moved the day after spending $650 on textbooks :evil: :evil: :evil:

edit: I spoke to the registrar on the phone and she agreed to put me back in my old section. Fortunately for me they were very friendly and understanding. Apparently admissions sent an e-mail which told us not to buy books yet? I didn't get it.
Last edited by owt on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 am

Just checked and I'm still in 2B. I think I would pull my hair out if they changed me.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm

owt wrote:I got moved the day after spending $650 on textbooks :evil: :evil: :evil:

edit: I spoke to the registrar on the phone and she agreed to put me back in my old section. Fortunately for me they were very friendly and understanding. Apparently admissions sent an e-mail which told us not to buy books yet? I didn't get it.

I'm like you. I don't remember ever receiving such an email, and I sure wouldn't be a happy camper if they changed my section on me this late in the game after I've ordered all my books.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
owt wrote:I got moved the day after spending $650 on textbooks :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm like you. I don't remember ever receiving such an email, and I sure wouldn't be a happy camper if they changed my section on me this late in the game after I've ordered all my books.

I never received this email, either. Fortunately I've been slacking off and haven't attempted to buy books yet :mrgreen:

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey guys, in case anyone hasn't done so within the past couple days, make sure to check your WFU email account. I just looked at mine and had a bunch (like 15) emails about changes and updates to orientation and even one from a professor on our first assignment and what to do before we meet for class on Monday. Just a heads up!

Edit. I actually got two emails from two different professors.
Last edited by lml09 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Whoa? I've checked my WFU email and I've only received one from my Torts professor and one about financial aid. None from admissions. Something's wrong here...

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:45 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:Whoa? I've checked my WFU email and I've only received one from my Torts professor and one about financial aid. None from admissions. Something's wrong here...

Hmm, I got at least 3 from Jen. Hutcherson.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 pm

exitlane wrote:Hey, I am living right next to the law school and I was wondring if anyone would consider trading a free parking place for occasional rides to costco--I dont have a car.

I already have a parking decal. If you run into problems and you need a lift, give me a ring.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:26 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:Whoa? I've checked my WFU email and I've only received one from my Torts professor and one about financial aid. None from admissions. Something's wrong here...

Don't feel bad. I got two from admissions and none from any of my professors.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Should I be worried that Walker has 4 suggested for CivPro and Taha only has 1 suggested? Is this a blessing or something more sinister waiting to happen....lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”