Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PirateCap'n

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm

How do we tell which books we need? Is there a list somewhere, or will they email that out later/maybe let us know at orientation?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:55 pm

--LinkRemoved--

PirateCap'n wrote:How do we tell which books we need? Is there a list somewhere, or will they email that out later/maybe let us know at orientation?

Im assuming the list is correct, but Ill probably wait till orientation to confirm - unless a current student can verify the sites' accuracy.

I also looked up my profs and 3 of the 4 got good reviews, but one was pounded by students for being horrible. Looks like half of the 1Ls will have him. :|

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:How do we tell which books we need? Is there a list somewhere, or will they email that out later/maybe let us know at orientation?

This is from the Registrar's office:
http://law.wfu.edu/registrar/documents/BookFall.pdf

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:

Does anyone know if the bookstore on campus will have our books, or is our best bet getting them online? I've had some pretty awful experiences buying textbooks online in the past (buying a new book but getting a used one missing 50 pages,, etc) and would love to avoid it if at all possible.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:31 pm

If anyone hasn't already done so, you should join the facebook group "Wake Forest Law Class of 2013". A bunch of us are meeting on there/exchanging phone numbers/etc and getting together this week. Feel free to PM me if you want to come hang out with us/go to bars/meet people.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:40 am

whenpigsfly wrote:

Pretty much the same question that I had about sections: is the book list more or less set or does it usually change before classes?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:06 am

lml09 wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

Does anyone know if the bookstore on campus will have our books, or is our best bet getting them online? I've had some pretty awful experiences buying textbooks online in the past (buying a new book but getting a used one missing 50 pages,, etc) and would love to avoid it if at all possible.

I haven't had problems with buying books in the past. I just try to look for people who have good feedback and try to get one with as little highlighting/writing in the book as possible.

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

Pretty much the same question that I had about sections: is the book list more or less set or does it usually change before classes?

That will stay set. Profs normally use the same book year after year, so the chance of that list changing is slim to none.

vikspeed

Postby vikspeed » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Okay, I am debating where to park: the $150 lot or the $500 lot. How far away is the $150 lot? Obviously, the $500 lot is close, but is it worth paying that much? Thoughts. Also, does anyone know if I can get one and change later if I change my mind? I kind of want to walk the farther lot before I commit.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:51 pm

vikspeed wrote:Okay, I am debating where to park: the $150 lot or the $500 lot. How far away is the $150 lot? Obviously, the $500 lot is close, but is it worth paying that much? Thoughts. Also, does anyone know if I can get one and change later if I change my mind? I kind of want to walk the farther lot before I commit.

A couple weeks ago I went and parked in the "god lot" and walked to the law school building and it took me about ten minutes. You do have to cross a busy street and I think walking it might get old real quick when you're lugging around 30 pounds of books in the heat or rain. Anyways, I went with the $500 lot and considered it an early birthday present to myself.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

That will stay set. Profs normally use the same book year after year, so the chance of that list changing is slim to none.

Is $700 a reasonable price for one semester's worth of books (all used and included supplements)? I've got them all in a "shopping cart" ready to place the order, but it would be reassuring for someone to tell me that I'm not getting ripped off. I got the lowest prices I could through 5-6 different sources. Also, when a prof has a "suggested" supplement, should we buy it?

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:41 pm

PirateCap'n, when I totaled my books up it reached $850. What sources are you going through? I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:46 pm

lml09 wrote:PirateCap'n, when I totaled my books up it reached $850. What sources are you going through? I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

I more or less "patch-worked" it. I ended up buying all but two books through half.com and Amazon. The other two, which I couldn't find on any of the other sites, I bought from lawbooksforless.com (it was a supplement for a casebook) and ebay (it was ~$5 cheaper than Amazon, but I figured I'd save the money). I ended up with 17 books for $705 including shipping, so I guess that isn't too bad.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm

lml09 wrote:PirateCap'n, when I totaled my books up it reached $850. What sources are you going through? I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

I think it all depends on the quality of the books and how many are used/new. My total for 14 books is a shade under 800. That includes all the required books, plus a supplement for each class (two for crim law). All my supplements are new, and all my casebooks are used, but fall under the 'very good' category. For the LRW class everything is new.

Anyone else who has walker figure out what supplements to buy? he has a ton listed, but as of right now, im just getting the E&E because it was highly rated on tls.

Im nervous to press 'buy' - ive never spent even close to this amount of $$ on books before.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:59 pm

moandersen wrote:

I think it all depends on the quality of the books and how many are used/new. My total for 14 books is a shade under 800. That includes all the required books, plus a supplement for each class (two for crim law). All my supplements are new, and all my casebooks are used, but fall under the 'very good' category. For the LRW class everything is new.

Anyone else who has walker figure out what supplements to buy? he has a ton listed, but as of right now, im just getting the E&E because it was highly rated on tls.

Im nervous to press 'buy' - ive never spent even close to this amount of $$ on books before.

I went ahead and bought all the supplements for Walker. He has such bad ratings on Ratemyprofessors that I figured I'd need all the help I could get. I might end up getting a couple more supplements for other classes, but I think I'm pretty set for now.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:03 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I went ahead and bought all the supplements for Walker. He has such bad ratings on Ratemyprofessors that I figured I'd need all the help I could get. I might end up getting a couple more supplements for other classes, but I think I'm pretty set for now.

you, my friend, are a shrewd purchaser. those supplements were freakin expensive. mad props for paying 700. i might still hold off. after a few weeks, let me know if the hornbooks are 'musts' and ill throw down the money. im going to just stick with the E&E for now. I also decided to wait and buy the bluebook at the bookstore. I couldnt find a price + shipping cost that sat well.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Bleh, just bought all my books from 3 different sources online. Some of them have an estimated delivery date from August 16-August 30. I really hope they all get here by the 23.

....now watch them switch me to a different section with completely different books.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:17 pm

lml09 wrote:Bleh, just bought all my books from 3 different sources online. Some of them have an estimated delivery date from August 16-August 30. I really hope they all get here by the 23.

....now watch them switch me to a different section with completely different books.

Haha. I'm afraid of that too. All of mine have the same ETA as yours, but it would be just my luck for my section to be switched.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I paid a little extra so the shipment doesnt wait till all the books are available to ship. all the casebooks were in stock, but the supplements said they would ship in 1-3 weeks. so hopefully all im waiting for once school starts are the supplements. the downside of not buying from the bookstore....

placencia

Postby placencia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm in 2A as well. I went ahead and ordered all of my books, I think the total came to around $650 after searching through multiple sites, but there is still one book for LRW that is not in stock anywhere, so I'll figure that out later. I ordered all my casebooks used, and I'm just hoping that they are still in good enough shape. My costs may have been a little cheaper than others because I already have all the E and Es, and I am holding off on ordering any additional supplements for now.

The best place that I found to go was half.com and textbooks.com, because of their integrated search capability.

I have to stop by school tomorrow to get the $40 copy of Office. I hope that it includes OneNote, because I don't want to have to purchase that separately, but I have heard it's a great organizational tool.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 am

off topic, but Sufjan Stevens is on tour again; he'll be in Asheville on Nov 7th. pre-sale tickets go on sale tomorrow at 1pm

if anyone else is interested let me know; my wife and are going to try to get some tickets

Mich_Guy

Postby Mich_Guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:07 pm

placencia wrote:I'm in 2A as well. I went ahead and ordered all of my books, I think the total came to around $650 after searching through multiple sites, but there is still one book for LRW that is not in stock anywhere, so I'll figure that out later. I ordered all my casebooks used, and I'm just hoping that they are still in good enough shape. My costs may have been a little cheaper than others because I already have all the E and Es, and I am holding off on ordering any additional supplements for now.

The best place that I found to go was half.com and textbooks.com, because of their integrated search capability.

I have to stop by school tomorrow to get the $40 copy of Office. I hope that it includes OneNote, because I don't want to have to purchase that separately, but I have heard it's a great organizational tool.

I would try the following sites:

http://www.chegg.com

http://www.rentscouter.com

Both sites are very reputable and the first site is for those who might be interested in "renting" their textbooks...check it out!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 pm

So.....what's everybody planning on wearing Friday (the guys specifically)? I don't particularly care to be over or under-dressed, so a consensus would be kind of nice. Anybody else planning on just wearing shorts, button-down shirt and tie, and sports coat for the picture and then just changing afterwards? It'll look pretty odd, but that seems like the best way to go about it to me.

vikspeed

Postby vikspeed » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 am

That's what Melanie said most guys do.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:34 am

Yeah I may not even wear a jacket unless we have to. Probably just a button down shirt and tie with khakis or jeans...then change after

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”