Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
loveprofusion2

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby loveprofusion2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

guitarborder wrote:
loveprofusion2 wrote:If only I could be so lucky. I'm in at Wake but so far I haven't been offered any money.
peeker82 wrote:just withdrew today with a decent scholly. hope one of you in the WL gets it!

I wasn't offered any money initially either, but then I emailed them and asked them for some because it's such a huge expense, yadda yadda, and they offered me a lot. So don't be afraid to ask =)

Wow, wish that would happen to me! I have been emailing them since I was first accepted (around late Feb-early March) with no offer of money. I just sent another email, so we'll see what happens.

Mich_Guy

Postby Mich_Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Well it's official!

I was offered a seat today from the admissions office. I currently live in Winston Salem and Wake was always my first choice (reach school based on my stats). The other thing I found out is that I would have to pay sticker as there is $0 of scholly available, so I was told.

Stats:
UGPA: 2.9 (Electrical Engineering)
LSAT: 153

softs:
9 yrs of WE (3yrs in Corporate Banking & 6 yrs in Engineering)
MBA (3.35 GPA)
URM (AAM)

I was offered sticker admission into Rutgers - Newark, and I am still waitlisted at UNC, but I am pretty much a shoe-in for Wake. I am just worried about paying sticker though. Thoughts anyone??

Thanks.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:08 pm

dilemma. loyola chicago (a school i withdrew from two months ago) just gave me a 100k scholarship, provided i maintain a 3.0gpa. this means i would graduate debt free, i wouldnt have to move, and my wife wouldnt have to take a 20k pay cut at her job. please help. i am currently in the dominican on my honeymoon. who would have thought that a honeymoon would be so stressful!! insight please!! those of you who have been on this thread for a while know how much i have loved wake, and that they even threw me a few scholarship dollars (though not a very significant amount). damn im all confused.....

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:14 pm

moandersen wrote:dilemma. loyola chicago (a school i withdrew from two months ago) just gave me a 100k scholarship, provided i maintain a 3.0gpa. this means i would graduate debt free, i wouldnt have to move, and my wife wouldnt have to take a 20k pay cut at her job. please help. i am currently in the dominican on my honeymoon. who would have thought that a honeymoon would be so stressful!! insight please!! those of you who have been on this thread for a while know how much i have loved wake, and that they even threw me a few scholarship dollars (though not a very significant amount). damn im all confused.....

Hmm. That kind of depends on how much money Wake gave you.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 pm

moandersen wrote:dilemma. loyola chicago (a school i withdrew from two months ago) just gave me a 100k scholarship, provided i maintain a 3.0gpa. this means i would graduate debt free, i wouldnt have to move, and my wife wouldnt have to take a 20k pay cut at her job. please help. i am currently in the dominican on my honeymoon. who would have thought that a honeymoon would be so stressful!! insight please!! those of you who have been on this thread for a while know how much i have loved wake, and that they even threw me a few scholarship dollars (though not a very significant amount). damn im all confused.....

Do you know the curve at Loyola (higher or lower than the 2/3 required to keep the scholarship at Wake)? Also, I assume you want to work in/around Chicago, correct? If that's the case, I would try to talk Loyola into dropping the GPA stipulation (or at least into lowering it).

gogo

Postby gogo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm

if you have loved wake so much all along then i think you should stick with wake. you obviously withdrew from loyola chicago for some reason. if you had really wanted to go there with money at an earlier point in time you probably would have asked for it (and maybe you did). though it would be nice to come out virtually debt free, if you love wake enough then maybe you'd be better off being happier and at a higher ranked school. i'm sure wake has a strong alum base in chicago if you wanted to move back there. regarding your wife's paycut - while 20K is a lot, keep in mind you should factor in a significant amount for lower COL. Housing/rent + living expenses in chicago are much more expensive.

my thoughts are to follow your gut instinct. the fact that you withdrew from loyola two months ago tells me it wasn't strong enough in the running. down the road if you do well and are happy at a wonderful and reputable school i don't think you'll regret paying off the loans for wake! if your heart is set on wake go for!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 pm

about 1/4 tuition. so its no chump change at all. the main reason i withdrew from loyola was for monetary reasons. they initially offered me the same amount wake did, so it was a no brainer to chose wake then. if I were to stay in chicago, I was going to go to loyola.

I have done very little research on loyola since ive been set on wake for months now. Hopefully they grant an extension of their offer so I can meet with them once I get back to the states. I was honestly really excited to get out of Chicago and move to the southeast, but am I 70k (the approx difference between the two schools) more excited about wake than loyola? man. im going to try and get some sleep. maybe ill get an email tomorrow from loyola taking back their offer so i wont have to make a decision.

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:05 pm

moandersen wrote:

about 1/4 tuition. so its no chump change at all. the main reason i withdrew from loyola was for monetary reasons. they initially offered me the same amount wake did, so it was a no brainer to chose wake then. if I were to stay in chicago, I was going to go to loyola.

I have done very little research on loyola since ive been set on wake for months now. Hopefully they grant an extension of their offer so I can meet with them once I get back to the states. I was honestly really excited to get out of Chicago and move to the southeast, but am I 70k (the approx difference between the two schools) more excited about wake than loyola? man. im going to try and get some sleep. maybe ill get an email tomorrow from loyola taking back their offer so i wont have to make a decision.

I honestly don't know what I would do in your shoes, but I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:23 am

moandersen wrote:

I was initially not offered any money to wake, but was offered significant scholarships to other schools. After contacting Wakes admissions office and talking to them about the money the other schools had offered me, and my financial issues, they were willing to give me (the first email) /increase (the second email i sent) my scholarship. Maybe try emailing wake telling them loyola offered you a significant scholarship etc etc and see what they say. Can't hurt if you're leaning in the loyola direction anyway.

rmccord0001

Postby rmccord0001 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

I would definitely be up for grabbing a beer before school starts. There is a pretty good brewery downtown called Foothills bewery that i went to this past weekend while my wife and I were house hunting. Pretty good weekly specials on really good microbrews. We found a condo in Aspen Ct that is only a 5 min. walk to the law school....anyone else living in that complex?

rmccord0001

Postby rmccord0001 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

moandersen wrote:

tough situation...have to think about where you want to end up and market competition of both areas. when does your decision have to be made?

gogo

Postby gogo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 pm

guitarborder wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I was initially not offered any money to wake, but was offered significant scholarships to other schools. After contacting Wakes admissions office and talking to them about the money the other schools had offered me, and my financial issues, they were willing to give me (the first email) /increase (the second email i sent) my scholarship. Maybe try emailing wake telling them loyola offered you a significant scholarship etc etc and see what they say. Can't hurt if you're leaning in the loyola direction anyway.

yeah, i'd do that if i were you. email or call wake and inform them of the updated situation regarding loyola's offer. if you are truly excited about wake and set on it, maybe that would factor in in helping get an increase in your scholarship?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 pm

I contacted wake, and they doubled my scholarship. Pretty awesome. It has been an incredibly stressful 24 hours, but now I am 100% sure Ill be in w-s. Im actually moving down there next wednesday. We need to organize our early august golf outing! Once i get back to the states Ill see what can be done about that. Or if someone is a w-s local and wants to organize where/when that would be even better. Thanks for all the advice. :mrgreen:

Lsat101

Postby Lsat101 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 pm

I got declined today with 160/3.4 which I completely understand. It was a pretty big reach for me, but when someone gets in the very same day with a 153/2.9 (albeit strong softs/nontraditional/URM) it just doesn't seem fair...but hey, That's life. Good luck to all you Deacons!

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 pm

lml09 wrote:
LadyTarHeelian wrote:My financial aid email said that scholarships would not be offered after June 30th so I imagine they will just be holding on to that scholly money rather than redistributing it.

Boo! Does anyone know if scholarships are offered to 2Ls? Like, say you end up doing extremely well your first year but were never offered any money? If some people with scholarships transfer or if some people lose some of their scholarships does anyone know where that money goes?

I'm pretty sure a scholarship can be earned later on, but I have no idea what class ranking is required.

gogo

Postby gogo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:52 pm

moandersen wrote:I contacted wake, and they doubled my scholarship. Pretty awesome. It has been an incredibly stressful 24 hours, but now I am 100% sure Ill be in w-s. Im actually moving down there next wednesday. We need to organize our early august golf outing! Once i get back to the states Ill see what can be done about that. Or if someone is a w-s local and wants to organize where/when that would be even better. Thanks for all the advice. :mrgreen:

woohoo!

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 am

gogo wrote:
moandersen wrote:I contacted wake, and they doubled my scholarship. Pretty awesome. It has been an incredibly stressful 24 hours, but now I am 100% sure Ill be in w-s. Im actually moving down there next wednesday. We need to organize our early august golf outing! Once i get back to the states Ill see what can be done about that. Or if someone is a w-s local and wants to organize where/when that would be even better. Thanks for all the advice. :mrgreen:

woohoo!

Congrats, that's great!

rmccord0001

Postby rmccord0001 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:59 am

Congratulations! That is great news. Now you can enjoy the rest of your honeymoon. My wife and i are moving down there this weekend but will be out of town until wednesday. Are you moving on the 21st or the 28th?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 pm

congrats moanderson!
I know you've been working long and hard for a scholarship!

Seems like wake responds to one thing: competing offers.

Enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!

ruraljuror

Postby ruraljuror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say a quick "welcome to Wake"! I'll be a 2L, and even though I'm rarely on TLS anymore, I'd be happy to answer any last-minute questions about W-S or school in general.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm

rmccord0001 wrote:

Congratulations! That is great news. Now you can enjoy the rest of your honeymoon. My wife and i are moving down there this weekend but will be out of town until wednesday. Are you moving on the 21st or the 28th?

we are moving down the 21st, and will get there on the 22nd.

nic - it has been a long journey, but things have really worked out.

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 pm

I've emailed Wake at least 5 times over the past couple weeks about a schaolarship. Unfortunately, no one ever responds. I emailed Ms. Nutt twice over the past month and never received a response from her either. Do you guys suggest I call or go in person to get scholarship info?

primusux

Postby primusux » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:32 pm

loveprofusion2 wrote:I've emailed Wake at least 5 times over the past couple weeks about a schaolarship. Unfortunately, no one ever responds. I emailed Ms. Nutt twice over the past month and never received a response from her either. Do you guys suggest I call or go in person to get scholarship info?

If they don't respond it means they don't want to give you anything. Trust me...been there done that. It's unprofessional to completely ignore applicants, but, what can we do? That was one of the main reasons I withdrew.

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:09 pm

primusux wrote:
loveprofusion2 wrote:I've emailed Wake at least 5 times over the past couple weeks about a schaolarship. Unfortunately, no one ever responds. I emailed Ms. Nutt twice over the past month and never received a response from her either. Do you guys suggest I call or go in person to get scholarship info?

If they don't respond it means they don't want to give you anything. Trust me...been there done that. It's unprofessional to completely ignore applicants, but, what can we do? That was one of the main reasons I withdrew.

That's very odd. They have responded to all my emails within a day or two, regardless of the topic. What email address are you sending your emails to?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 pm

rmccord0001 wrote:I would definitely be up for grabbing a beer before school starts. There is a pretty good brewery downtown called Foothills bewery that i went to this past weekend while my wife and I were house hunting. Pretty good weekly specials on really good microbrews. We found a condo in Aspen Ct that is only a 5 min. walk to the law school....anyone else living in that complex?

When did you go? Me, the wife, and 4 friends who were helping us move went to foothills sunday night.

Wonder if I passed you? O.o

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”