Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gogo

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby gogo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 pm

guitarborder wrote:
gogo wrote:
guitarborder wrote:Yeah I'll be moving in August 1st, too. Sounds good.

oh, nice! where're you living?

I'll be in the Crown Polo apartments -- what about you?

same - polo as well!

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 pm

guitarborder wrote:When is everyone moving in? If possible, we should all definitely try and grab some beers at the bar before orientation starts =)

Sounds good, I move in next week!! Is anyone else living at the Pines?

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 pm

lml09 wrote:
guitarborder wrote:When is everyone moving in? If possible, we should all definitely try and grab some beers at the bar before orientation starts =)

Cool -- where are the pines? How far is that from campus/polo apts?

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm

gogo wrote:
guitarborder wrote:
gogo wrote:
guitarborder wrote:Yeah I'll be moving in August 1st, too. Sounds good.

oh, nice! where're you living?

I'll be in the Crown Polo apartments -- what about you?

same - polo as well!

I'll be at Polo, too!

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Haha awesome, hopefully I'll catch you all at the pool!

Also, people can feel free to PM me if you want to swap numbers/facebook/whatever.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:46 am

I'm moving in on August 1st too, but I'll be at Park. I have quite a bit going on the first week or so, but I'd definitely be up for getting together. I created the Facebook group for us, so it'd be pretty easy to figure out who I am. :D

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 am

guitarborder wrote:
lml09 wrote:

Cool -- where are the pines? How far is that from campus/polo apts?

Umm, they're a little bit West of the polo apts, about 5 minutes from campus.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 am

Hey is anyone doing that 1L mentoring program? I just got the email (it was sent to my spam) and it says 110 1Ls took part last year. I think I'll probably do it, it may make me feel more comfortable and I have a hard time meeting new people anyway (super shy around people I don't know).

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:39 am

lml09 wrote:Hey is anyone doing that 1L mentoring program? I just got the email (it was sent to my spam) and it says 110 1Ls took part last year. I think I'll probably do it, it may make me feel more comfortable and I have a hard time meeting new people anyway (super shy around people I don't know).

Hmm I didn't get this email and it doesn't seem to be in my spam. Would you mind posting some of the details?

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 am

guitarborder wrote:
lml09 wrote:Hey is anyone doing that 1L mentoring program? I just got the email (it was sent to my spam) and it says 110 1Ls took part last year. I think I'll probably do it, it may make me feel more comfortable and I have a hard time meeting new people anyway (super shy around people I don't know).

Hmm I didn't get this email and it doesn't seem to be in my spam. Would you mind posting some of the details?

Happy Summer!

I hope everyone is excited about beginning your first year of law school. August is going to be here before you know it! I remember last summer like it was yesterday. I could not wait to get started, but at the same time I was scared to death. One of the great things about Wake Forest Law is that the older students are always willing to help you out. I'm not sure I would have survived without some of the great advice I received from 2L's about everything from Civil Procedure with Professor Walker (Mad Dog) to what time I should arrive at Bar Review.

You might be wondering how you can get in touch with students that "have been there and done that". One way to do that is to take part in our 1L Mentor Program. As 2L Student Bar Association Reps, Brodie Erwin and I are in charge of making sure every 1L has an opportunity to be matched up with a student mentor. All you have to do is answer the questions below, send it to trapcm9@wfu.edu by August 1st, and we will be the matchmakers! You will be matched up with a 2L or 3L that will contact you at the beginning of the semester. I believe last year 110 1Ls took part! It's also a great way to meet other students outside of your small section. I remember I met my mentor for lunch the first week of school. Right away I had someone to talk to about all of my questions and concerns.

I hope you will decide to take part! Please send your information (by August 1st) and any questions to trapcm9@wfu.edu.

Thanks,

Caroline Trapeni and Brodie Erwin

1L Mentor Program Questions

Name:

Hometown:

Undergrad:

Interests:

Did you do anything after graduating college before coming to law school?:

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am

loveprofusion2 wrote:
guitarborder wrote:

Happy Summer!

I hope everyone is excited about beginning your first year of law school. August is going to be here before you know it! I remember last summer like it was yesterday. I could not wait to get started, but at the same time I was scared to death. One of the great things about Wake Forest Law is that the older students are always willing to help you out. I'm not sure I would have survived without some of the great advice I received from 2L's about everything from Civil Procedure with Professor Walker (Mad Dog) to what time I should arrive at Bar Review.

You might be wondering how you can get in touch with students that "have been there and done that". One way to do that is to take part in our 1L Mentor Program. As 2L Student Bar Association Reps, Brodie Erwin and I are in charge of making sure every 1L has an opportunity to be matched up with a student mentor. All you have to do is answer the questions below, send it to trapcm9@wfu.edu by August 1st, and we will be the matchmakers! You will be matched up with a 2L or 3L that will contact you at the beginning of the semester. I believe last year 110 1Ls took part! It's also a great way to meet other students outside of your small section. I remember I met my mentor for lunch the first week of school. Right away I had someone to talk to about all of my questions and concerns.

I hope you will decide to take part! Please send your information (by August 1st) and any questions to trapcm9@wfu.edu.

Thanks,

Name:

Hometown:

Undergrad:

Interests:

Thanks for the posting the mentoring e-mail. Didn't receive that.

Just some more info to boggle our heads: Just got off the phone with Debbie regarding a parking question. Parking has changed this year. She said this year the free parking at the large church is no longer free. Cost is now $150 for the church. Wake is instituting the free parking at the football stadium parking lot, which will offer shuttle service. If anyone cares about walking distance, she said about 1.5 miles. She said details will be posted on the WIN site, hopefully, around 1 August.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 pm

MarineKappa wrote:
loveprofusion2 wrote:
guitarborder wrote:

Happy Summer!

Thanks,

Name:

Hometown:

Undergrad:

Interests:

Thanks for the posting the mentoring e-mail. Didn't receive that.

Just some more info to boggle our heads: Just got off the phone with Debbie regarding a parking question. Parking has changed this year. She said this year the free parking at the large church is no longer free. Cost is now $150 for the church. Wake is instituting the free parking at the football stadium parking lot, which will offer shuttle service. If anyone cares about walking distance, she said about 1.5 miles. She said details will be posted on the WIN site, hopefully, around 1 August.

Meh. Is the church parking lot the one right across the road? That doesn't sound so bad. I mean, not ideal when it's raining or something, but still $150 is better than $500! Thanks for the info.

gogo

Postby gogo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 pm

lml09 wrote:
MarineKappa wrote:Thanks for the posting the mentoring e-mail. Didn't receive that.

Meh. Is the church parking lot the one right across the road? That doesn't sound so bad. I mean, not ideal when it's raining or something, but still $150 is better than $500! Thanks for the info.

is it $150/$500 (depending on where you choose to park) for the semester for for the year?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:55 pm

I signed up. I figured that, if so many people did it last year, it must be at least sort of useful. If not, I'm sure you're not obligated to continue it. I don't really see how it could hurt to try it.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Meh. Is the church parking lot the one right across the road? That doesn't sound so bad. I mean, not ideal when it's raining or something, but still $150 is better than $500! Thanks for the info.[/quote]

I believe it's the First Assembly church right outside the gate, which is very huge and difficult to miss. Definitely, $150 beats $500 unless you're Gates. Also, if anyone is tempted to try parking on campus w/o a pass during class times, a couple students informed me the fines are "heavy," and they actively search to give tickets.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 pm

is it $150/$500 (depending on where you choose to park) for the semester for for the year?[/quote]

The $150 is for the new parking program at the football stadium. I assume you will be able to park wherever you choose. I'm probably wrong.

The $500 is for actual campus-wide parking for the year. I believe a mutiny would occur if it's for each semester. I haven't heard anything about assigned spaces for the campus.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 pm

anyone staying at one of the Wake Forest Properties?

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm

lml09 wrote:

I'm staying at the Pines. Was moving in on the 9th, but they were able to get me into another apartment that's opening up a bit sooner, so now I'll be in W-S on the 6th.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:24 pm

wakemeup wrote:
lml09 wrote:

I'm staying at the Pines. Was moving in on the 9th, but they were able to get me into another apartment that's opening up a bit sooner, so now I'll be in W-S on the 6th.

Cool! Are you going to be in a 1 bedroom?

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:33 pm

lml09 wrote:
wakemeup wrote:
lml09 wrote:

Cool! Are you going to be in a 1 bedroom?

Yes, and I should mention that another opened up last week. Whether or not it's still available, I have no idea. So, for anybody who might still be looking, maybe you should give the Pines a call.

Yeah, the Pines had good reviews on the apartment rating sites I visited, so I'm pretty excited. I think I'm going to rent the stackable washer/dryer combo from Azuma. Any tips on where to buy furniture in W-S?

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 pm

just withdrew today with a decent scholly. hope one of you in the WL gets it!

loveprofusion2

Postby loveprofusion2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:17 pm

If only I could be so lucky. I'm in at Wake but so far I haven't been offered any money.
peeker82 wrote:just withdrew today with a decent scholly. hope one of you in the WL gets it!

guitarborder

Postby guitarborder » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm

loveprofusion2 wrote:If only I could be so lucky. I'm in at Wake but so far I haven't been offered any money.
peeker82 wrote:just withdrew today with a decent scholly. hope one of you in the WL gets it!

I wasn't offered any money initially either, but then I emailed them and asked them for some because it's such a huge expense, yadda yadda, and they offered me a lot. So don't be afraid to ask =)

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 pm

My financial aid email said that scholarships would not be offered after June 30th so I imagine they will just be holding on to that scholly money rather than redistributing it.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:My financial aid email said that scholarships would not be offered after June 30th so I imagine they will just be holding on to that scholly money rather than redistributing it.

Boo! Does anyone know if scholarships are offered to 2Ls? Like, say you end up doing extremely well your first year but were never offered any money? If some people with scholarships transfer or if some people lose some of their scholarships does anyone know where that money goes?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”