Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drewtrav
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby drewtrav » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Someone talk me out of GMU, and into Wake. I have never been to Winston-Salem but I do have some family in North Carolina (Raleigh) and love the area.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 pm

drewtrav wrote:Someone talk me out of GMU, and into Wake. I have never been to Winston-Salem but I do have some family in North Carolina (Raleigh) and love the area.


It all depends on where you want to work. They're both pretty equal schools overall. If you want the Virginia/DC area, GMU is your best bet. If you want NC/SC/GA(most of the southeast), I would think WFU is better. Also, did GMU give you any scholarship money? That could be a difference-maker also.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:50 pm

drewtrav wrote:Someone talk me out of GMU, and into Wake. I have never been to Winston-Salem but I do have some family in North Carolina (Raleigh) and love the area.



The mascots alone should convince you. An awesome demon deacon with a bow tie or a green chipmunk. Enough said.

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Okay, I am officially off the wait list at Wake Forest. Not sure what to do!

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:09 pm

You really want Vandy?

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Emma1 wrote:You really want Vandy?


Yes...

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Emma1 wrote:Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?


I am not sure. This is really difficult because I can only afford to take myself off of one wait list. I had not thought much about Wake Forest and stayed on the wait list mostly out of curiosity, but now I am wondering...

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm

Good luck!

lawyerlover
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lawyerlover » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:51 am

Integrity wrote:
Emma1 wrote:Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?


I am not sure. This is really difficult because I can only afford to take myself off of one wait list. I had not thought much about Wake Forest and stayed on the wait list mostly out of curiosity, but now I am wondering...


I feel that the statistics work against someone getting off two waitlists... If I were you I would forget about Vandy for now and just focus on Wake vs the school you are going to now

RSN_M3
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby RSN_M3 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 am

Integrity wrote:
Emma1 wrote:Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?


I am not sure. This is really difficult because I can only afford to take myself off of one wait list. I had not thought much about Wake Forest and stayed on the wait list mostly out of curiosity, but now I am wondering...

I am on the waitlist at Vandy and UC Davis as well, but have already paid 2 deposits at Wake. Still holding out hope.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 am

" I feel that the statistics work against someone getting off two waitlists... If I were you I would forget about Vandy for now and just focus on Wake vs the school you are going to now"

What statistical formula are you using? I think people can get off several waitlists depending on their numbers. I agree however, that for now it would be important to focus on Wake and the school you deposited on.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:11 pm

drewtrav wrote:Someone talk me out of GMU, and into Wake. I have never been to Winston-Salem but I do have some family in North Carolina (Raleigh) and love the area.


In order of importance:

Where do you want to work
Northern Va/Dc=GMU
North Carolina = Wake

which is cheaper
How much is tuition for you at each?
How much is CoL (hint: GMU is MORE).

How important is going out etc to you?
DC=Fun
W-S= um. Yeah.

So there ya go. GL!

lawyerlover
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lawyerlover » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Emma1 wrote:" I feel that the statistics work against someone getting off two waitlists... If I were you I would forget about Vandy for now and just focus on Wake vs the school you are going to now"

What statistical formula are you using? I think people can get off several waitlists depending on their numbers. I agree however, that for now it would be important to focus on Wake and the school you deposited on.


Statistics being that a minority of students are accepted off waitlists at every school so the odds that you will be in more than one minority especially during such a difficult application cycle.... those would be the statistics - obviously there is no statistical formula but schools generally dont accept more than 15-20% (on an easier year)

2013ek
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby 2013ek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Integrity wrote:
Emma1 wrote:Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?


I am not sure. This is really difficult because I can only afford to take myself off of one wait list. I had not thought much about Wake Forest and stayed on the wait list mostly out of curiosity, but now I am wondering...


Did she say if there was any money available to people accepted off the WL?

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 pm

2013ek wrote:
Integrity wrote:
Emma1 wrote:Hard decison then. If they don't take you off waitlist would you want Wake or not sure?


I am not sure. This is really difficult because I can only afford to take myself off of one wait list. I had not thought much about Wake Forest and stayed on the wait list mostly out of curiosity, but now I am wondering...


Did she say if there was any money available to people accepted off the WL?


Without my even asking, she said no scholarship money was available. This has complicated my decision tenfold.

traceface
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traceface » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:37 am

Hi all!

Congrats to everyone that has recently been accepted off the waitlist in the past few days!

I'm hoping to get some insight/opinions from you guys: I've put down a deposit at University of Richmond, where I've been offered a $10k/year scholarship and have signed a lease for a sweet apartment in the Fan area. I really really like the atmosphere of Richmond, really enjoyed the deposited students day, and feel like I'll have lots of opportunities for good internships and externships. The location of Richmond as compared to Winston also is soooo much more appealing.

That being said, I'm at an impasse now because of the higher... prestige (?) the Wake Forest U name has as compared with Richmond. What do you guys think? Would I be doing myself a disservice by attending University of Richmond because I think I'll be much happier in extra-curricular activities whereas statistically, Wake Forest is the better school? Does anyone think I have a misinformed perception of what's going on in Winston?

Oh, also, I have until Monday to decide. So seriously, any insight will be helpful. =) Thanks!

lfgsuperman
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:39 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lfgsuperman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 am

traceface wrote:Hi all!

Congrats to everyone that has recently been accepted off the waitlist in the past few days!

I'm hoping to get some insight/opinions from you guys: I've put down a deposit at University of Richmond, where I've been offered a $10k/year scholarship and have signed a lease for a sweet apartment in the Fan area. I really really like the atmosphere of Richmond, really enjoyed the deposited students day, and feel like I'll have lots of opportunities for good internships and externships. The location of Richmond as compared to Winston also is soooo much more appealing.

That being said, I'm at an impasse now because of the higher... prestige (?) the Wake Forest U name has as compared with Richmond. What do you guys think? Would I be doing myself a disservice by attending University of Richmond because I think I'll be much happier in extra-curricular activities whereas statistically, Wake Forest is the better school? Does anyone think I have a misinformed perception of what's going on in Winston?

Oh, also, I have until Monday to decide. So seriously, any insight will be helpful. =) Thanks!


This depends on where you want to practice. They are both pretty good regional schools in their respective states. so you have to decide whether you would want to be in NC or VA.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am

Has anyone else been able to fill out the waive insurance form or found out how to get their student ID number?

loveprofusion2
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby loveprofusion2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I filled out the waiver either last week or the week before. And I believe you can find your id number by logging into WIN and looking at your personal info. I found it but can't remember exactly what I did.
lml09 wrote:Has anyone else been able to fill out the waive insurance form or found out how to get their student ID number?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:
traceface wrote:Hi all!

Congrats to everyone that has recently been accepted off the waitlist in the past few days!

I'm hoping to get some insight/opinions from you guys: I've put down a deposit at University of Richmond, where I've been offered a $10k/year scholarship and have signed a lease for a sweet apartment in the Fan area. I really really like the atmosphere of Richmond, really enjoyed the deposited students day, and feel like I'll have lots of opportunities for good internships and externships. The location of Richmond as compared to Winston also is soooo much more appealing.

That being said, I'm at an impasse now because of the higher... prestige (?) the Wake Forest U name has as compared with Richmond. What do you guys think? Would I be doing myself a disservice by attending University of Richmond because I think I'll be much happier in extra-curricular activities whereas statistically, Wake Forest is the better school? Does anyone think I have a misinformed perception of what's going on in Winston?

Oh, also, I have until Monday to decide. So seriously, any insight will be helpful. =) Thanks!


This depends on where you want to practice. They are both pretty good regional schools in their respective states. so you have to decide whether you would want to be in NC or VA.


False.
Wake competes with UNC (basically equal) and Duke (much better).

Meanwhile richmond has to deal with George Mason (much higher ranked), William and Mary (much much hire ranked) Washington and Lee ( a lot hire ranked). Oh yeah, and then there some other school. UVA maybe?

The only reason I would take Richmond is if I KNEW I wanted to practice in Richmond and if savings were substantial.

22k richmond (with scholly) V 36k wake. I think this is a pretty big deal, thats not exactly pocket change.

SOme one correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression you'd be hard pressed to work anywhere in va except richmond. I'd think Northern VA would be dominated by george mason, as well as the other 8 zillion schools in and around DC.

Charlottesville, well thats home to UVA, so good luck with that. Oh, and as someone who lives in cville, its not exactly a city- I can't imagine there are many law jobs, and I can pretty much gaurantee you there is no Cville big law.

Maybe im being biased, but as a lifelong resident of Va, I can't imagine where you'd want to/be able to practice other than cvill/dc/nVA/richmond. So, I'd think if you go to UofR, you'd better want to stay in richmond. Luckily, as someone whos lived in va and had friends in richmond area, its a pretty cool city.

If you want to work in Richmond, and your trying to save yourself from unecessary debt, A strong case can be made for richmond. But go in knowing that there are 4 other VA school with much better reputations.

If you don't particularly care if you end up in Richmond or NC, I'd think wake might be a better choice, except be cautious about extra debt. What are Richmond scholly requirements?

GL!

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 pm

lml09 wrote:Has anyone else been able to fill out the waive insurance form or found out how to get their student ID number?


Do we automatically get enrolled, or do we need to fill something out? From what I have read so far, we only need to fill something out to waive the insurance. I sent in my health forms today, so I think all I got left on the checklist is sending in a picture.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:44 am

loveprofusion2 wrote:I filled out the waiver either last week or the week before. And I believe you can find your id number by logging into WIN and looking at your personal info. I found it but can't remember exactly what I did.
lml09 wrote:Has anyone else been able to fill out the waive insurance form or found out how to get their student ID number?


That is correct. Here's how to find it.

1. Log in to WIN
2. Click on the "Personal" link in the upper right corner
3. Click on "Your Personal Information"

Your ID# is right above your name.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:47 am

moandersen wrote:
lml09 wrote:Has anyone else been able to fill out the waive insurance form or found out how to get their student ID number?


Do we automatically get enrolled, or do we need to fill something out? From what I have read so far, we only need to fill something out to waive the insurance. I sent in my health forms today, so I think all I got left on the checklist is sending in a picture.


I believe you still need to enroll (--LinkRemoved--). Looks like they want bank account information if you're also providing coverage for a dependent, and prior insurance information. I'd recommend asking the Admin office whether you need to do anything, and then let us know what you find out.

traceface
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traceface » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:
traceface wrote:Hi all!

Congrats to everyone that has recently been accepted off the waitlist in the past few days!

I'm hoping to get some insight/opinions from you guys: I've put down a deposit at University of Richmond, where I've been offered a $10k/year scholarship and have signed a lease for a sweet apartment in the Fan area. I really really like the atmosphere of Richmond, really enjoyed the deposited students day, and feel like I'll have lots of opportunities for good internships and externships. The location of Richmond as compared to Winston also is soooo much more appealing.

That being said, I'm at an impasse now because of the higher... prestige (?) the Wake Forest U name has as compared with Richmond. What do you guys think? Would I be doing myself a disservice by attending University of Richmond because I think I'll be much happier in extra-curricular activities whereas statistically, Wake Forest is the better school? Does anyone think I have a misinformed perception of what's going on in Winston?

Oh, also, I have until Monday to decide. So seriously, any insight will be helpful. =) Thanks!


This depends on where you want to practice. They are both pretty good regional schools in their respective states. so you have to decide whether you would want to be in NC or VA.


False.
Wake competes with UNC (basically equal) and Duke (much better).

Meanwhile richmond has to deal with George Mason (much higher ranked), William and Mary (much much hire ranked) Washington and Lee ( a lot hire ranked). Oh yeah, and then there some other school. UVA maybe?

The only reason I would take Richmond is if I KNEW I wanted to practice in Richmond and if savings were substantial.

22k richmond (with scholly) V 36k wake. I think this is a pretty big deal, thats not exactly pocket change.

SOme one correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression you'd be hard pressed to work anywhere in va except richmond. I'd think Northern VA would be dominated by george mason, as well as the other 8 zillion schools in and around DC.

Charlottesville, well thats home to UVA, so good luck with that. Oh, and as someone who lives in cville, its not exactly a city- I can't imagine there are many law jobs, and I can pretty much gaurantee you there is no Cville big law.

Maybe im being biased, but as a lifelong resident of Va, I can't imagine where you'd want to/be able to practice other than cvill/dc/nVA/richmond. So, I'd think if you go to UofR, you'd better want to stay in richmond. Luckily, as someone whos lived in va and had friends in richmond area, its a pretty cool city.

If you want to work in Richmond, and your trying to save yourself from unecessary debt, A strong case can be made for richmond. But go in knowing that there are 4 other VA school with much better reputations.

If you don't particularly care if you end up in Richmond or NC, I'd think wake might be a better choice, except be cautious about extra debt. What are Richmond scholly requirements?

GL!


Thanks for your insight! Unfortunately/fortunately, I don't have anything in particular tying me down to any specific geographic area, so it's harder to pinpoint where I should go based on that. I totally understand the sentiment about competing in Virginia, specifically the NoVa area, but then again, you're basically competing with every law school across the country to practice in D.C. I'd imagine.

Your endorsement of Richmond being a cool city is a major thing that's coming into play in my choice... I want to be happy with where I am, and Winston just... sucks. There also seems to be much more opportunity to participate in out-of-classroom activities at Richmond versus Wake Forest.

Also, I could probably stand to work my ass of my first year and attempt to transfer into a higher ranking school (allegedly the greatest percentage of transfers to UVA are from Richie) if I decide I want to go for big D.C. firm work after school.

Thanks again!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 11 guests