Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tstyler98

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 am

StephBee wrote:I'm interested in hearing more about the house hunt, also. Was there a pretty good turnout?

I'll probably be moving around August 1 unless something changes. I'm excited about all the people interested in golfing, hopefully we'll be able to get something together. I don't know about golfing 10 months out of the year, though. I'm from the deep south, so I don't know how different a North Carolina winter is going to be.

As far as housing goes, does anyone know how easily the Crowne apartments fill up? I'm still on several waitlists, so I want to wait a while before signing a lease. Anyone in a similar situation?

I think there was about 50-60 people total, but I think that included a few significant others and parents. Some people only came for the game, while others only came for the actual house hunt. It was a lot of fun. Heather, who was in charge of the House Hunt, took people out to one bar on Friday night after the game, and out to dinner and bar-hopping Saturday night. It was great getting to meet many of my fellow classmates.

A lot of the people at the House Hunt applied for housing at the Crowne's. But most of them had quite a few places available. I'm not sure how many they have left. I'd contact them to find out what their availability is and ask their opinion on how long you could wait. But I don't think you'd want to wait too long.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am

wakemeup wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
wakemeup wrote:Dumb question, but are we required to purchase a new laptop?

Also, what should we wear to orientation? The last email said something about professional attire. Suit, sportcoat, shirt & tie? Tuxedo? No, but seriously, I just don't want to be overdressed or underdressed and look like a tool.

You're required to have a laptop, but, as long as you have one, I don't think you have to buy another one. Also, any chance you have the text from that email about professional attire? I must have missed that email or at least that part of the email.

It came in the confirmation of receipt email for the 2nd deposit.

Here it is: "Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your tuition deposit! We're glad you'll be joining our community.
Please be prepared to be on campus Friday morning, August 13 to pick up your Orientation packet (contains WFU ID card and living expense check, if applicable and other informational handouts) and have your professional picture taken. Professional attire (at least from the waist up). Additionally, there will be training classes on Westlaw, Lexis, WIN and installing printers."

Eh, I'm guessing shirt and tie.

I would think shirt & tie (and maybe a sports jacket) for guys, and a dress or nice shirt for girls. I know the pictures are given to the professors so they can start putting faces to names. And I heard that some schools will send these pictures to employers prior to on-campus interviews (but I don't know if Wake does that). If I remember correctly from seeing last year's orientation schedule, Friday consisted of checking in, taking the picture, getting your computer connected to the network/printers, and the picnic. It'd be easy just to wear regular clothes and change into something dressier for the picture, and then change back.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

tstyler98 wrote:If I remember correctly from seeing last year's orientation schedule, Friday consisted of checking in, taking the picture, getting your computer connected to the network/printers, and the picnic. It'd be easy just to wear regular clothes and change into something dressier for the picture, and then change back.

Ill be the guy wearing a shirt and tie on top, and shorts and sandals below. It will be way too hot to be sporting shoes/dress pants for the picnic.

Ive finally settled on a date to move in, and will be taking a short trip to the coast soon after I move in. Anyone know/like a particular coastal town in nc? I would like to stay somewhere with decent surf because I want to longboard a bit.

After the trip to the coast, I plan to golf a lot before the 13th. Who wants to be my golfing buddy?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 am

moandersen wrote:Ill be the guy wearing a shirt and tie on top, and shorts and sandals below. It will be way too hot to be sporting shoes/dress pants for the picnic.

Ive finally settled on a date to move in, and will be taking a short trip to the coast soon after I move in. Anyone know/like a particular coastal town in nc? I would like to stay somewhere with decent surf because I want to longboard a bit.

After the trip to the coast, I plan to golf a lot before the 13th. Who wants to be my golfing buddy?

Are you looking for a larger or smaller "beach town"? NC is full of both. For smaller beaches, you should check out Topsail Island. There isn't much there other than a few restaurants and lots of beach houses. It's a good place to relax and fish. For larger towns, you have Wrightsville Beach, the Outer Banks, Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, Carolina Beach, etc. Myrtle Beach in South Carolina isn't much farther south than Carolina Beach, and it's very nice as well. Most of the larger beaches have several golf courses, restaurants, malls/shops, etc. I don't know too much about the surfing aspects, but I'm sure you can google it.

StephBee

Postby StephBee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 am

moandersen wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:If I remember correctly from seeing last year's orientation schedule, Friday consisted of checking in, taking the picture, getting your computer connected to the network/printers, and the picnic. It'd be easy just to wear regular clothes and change into something dressier for the picture, and then change back.

Ill be the guy wearing a shirt and tie on top, and shorts and sandals below. It will be way too hot to be sporting shoes/dress pants for the picnic.

I'm up for a golfing buddy!

I agree that it'll be easier to change clothes, rather than be miserably uncomfortable and hot. I pictured a bunch of people walking around with dress shirts, ties, and flip flops too.

I've never surfed, but I think North Carolina would be a great place to start. Let me know what you find out, and I'll look into it more.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:03 pm

StephBee wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I'm up for a golfing buddy!

I agree that it'll be easier to change clothes, rather than be miserably uncomfortable and hot. I pictured a bunch of people walking around with dress shirts, ties, and flip flops too.

I've never surfed, but I think North Carolina would be a great place to start. Let me know what you find out, and I'll look into it more.

I'm up for golfing as well. Like I mentioned before, I'm not very good, but it's still fun.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
StephBee wrote:I'm up for a golfing buddy!

I'm up for golfing as well. Like I mentioned before, I'm not very good, but it's still fun.

nice. Im not that good either, and only went out my first time of the season last thursday. My short game was killing me. However, I plan to take a lesson this week and start playing 2-3 times a week before moving. Next step is to find some cheaper courses around campus. Last week i accidentally found myself at wake's golf center. looks like a good place to practice the short game.

StephBee

Postby StephBee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

nice. Im not that good either, and only went out my first time of the season last thursday. My short game was killing me. However, I plan to take a lesson this week and start playing 2-3 times a week before moving. Next step is to find some cheaper courses around campus. Last week i accidentally found myself at wake's golf center. looks like a good place to practice the short game.

I'm pretty good, but I'm definitely out of practice.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:34 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

There's a municipal course (Reynolds Park) that should be pretty cheap

I want to come!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:18 pm

awesome. we have rounded out our foursome. Ill be in nc the last week of july. lets get this done. from what i have found it seems reynolda park is $19/9holes and $32/18holes. pretty good deal considering i just paid 19 for 9 to walk at my local chicago public course that is in fair condition at best.

I set up a private lesson this wednesday, right after the stupid physical I have to take for school. then hitting the course in the late afternoon. definitely looking forward to it.

placencia

Postby placencia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 pm

It's now official, I am going to be a Demon Deacon. I look forward to seeing all of you in a couple of months. :)

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm

moandersen wrote:awesome. we have rounded out our foursome. Ill be in nc the last week of july. lets get this done. from what i have found it seems reynolda park is $19/9holes and $32/18holes. pretty good deal considering i just paid 19 for 9 to walk at my local chicago public course that is in fair condition at best.

what about first or second week of august? i don't think my wife and i will be there until then

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 pm

sufjan wrote:
moandersen wrote:awesome. we have rounded out our foursome. Ill be in nc the last week of july. lets get this done. from what i have found it seems reynolda park is $19/9holes and $32/18holes. pretty good deal considering i just paid 19 for 9 to walk at my local chicago public course that is in fair condition at best.

what about first or second week of august? i don't think my wife and i will be there until then

I'll be up around the first of August, so anytime in there would be great.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 am

Aug 2nd? Ill be settled in since we are moving a week and a half earlier. But if you guys need more time to get unpacked, etc..., we can move it more toward the end of the week.

rmccord0001

Postby rmccord0001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 am

first tls post. my wife and i are moving to winston-salem end of july as well. would love to get together to play some golf in early august at that muni track.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm

rmccord0001 wrote:first tls post. my wife and i are moving to winston-salem end of july as well. would love to get together to play some golf in early august at that muni track.

awesome.

Got my deposit confirmation today from wake, and handed in my resignation letter at work. Next tuesday is my last day!

StephBee

Postby StephBee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 pm

moandersen wrote:
rmccord0001 wrote:first tls post. my wife and i are moving to winston-salem end of july as well. would love to get together to play some golf in early august at that muni track.

awesome.

Got my deposit confirmation today from wake, and handed in my resignation letter at work. Next tuesday is my last day!

Early August sounds great... I'm looking forward to my last day at work, also! I just found out that it isn't common practice at my company to give notice before I quit, so that helps a lot. I was trying to figure out how long would give my employer enough time to replace me, but I still needed to be prepared for an immediate dismissal.

Moandersen, if you don't mind my asking... what are you doing until the middle of July?

lml09

Postby lml09 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

My last day at work is July 1 and it seriously can not come soon enough! :D

StephBee

Postby StephBee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:55 pm

lml09 wrote:My last day at work is July 1 and it seriously can not come soon enough! :D

Lucky... I guess I only have myself to blame. I could quit earlier, but I feel obligated to save as much as possible while I can. Besides, I want to be able to take a decent vacation before law school starts. If I quit now, then I'd just be watching tv all day... not that that sounds so bad. Check with me in a few weeks, and I might have changed my mind... like I said, I don't have to give notice...

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:05 pm

StephBee wrote:
moandersen wrote:

awesome.

Early August sounds great... I'm looking forward to my last day at work, also! I just found out that it isn't common practice at my company to give notice before I quit, so that helps a lot. I was trying to figure out how long would give my employer enough time to replace me, but I still needed to be prepared for an immediate dismissal.

Moandersen, if you don't mind my asking... what are you doing until the middle of July?

I work at a high school. school is officially over friday, but I need to be in monday and tuesday next week to make sure the start of summer school goes smoothly. then im getting married/going on the honeymoon - which will take me to mid-july.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:18 pm

moandersen wrote:then im getting married/going on the honeymoon - which will take me to mid-july.

way to squeeze that in :) oh, and congrats!

week of aug 1 sounds great; later that week is just about perfect

lml09

Postby lml09 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:19 pm

StephBee wrote:
lml09 wrote:My last day at work is July 1 and it seriously can not come soon enough! :D

Lucky... I guess I only have myself to blame. I could quit earlier, but I feel obligated to save as much as possible while I can. Besides, I want to be able to take a decent vacation before law school starts. If I quit now, then I'd just be watching tv all day... not that that sounds so bad. Check with me in a few weeks, and I might have changed my mind... like I said, I don't have to give notice...

Yeah, I have a beach house at Myrtle beach so I'm planning on spending all of July down there. I want to cram in as much as possible - golf, learning to surf, movies, sleeping, etc, before I sign my life over to law school.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 pm

sufjan wrote:
moandersen wrote:then im getting married/going on the honeymoon - which will take me to mid-july.

+1 to all this. Congrats and the week of the 1st is fine.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:49 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
sufjan wrote:

+1 to all this. Congrats and the week of the 1st is fine.

thanks, my fiance loves to snoop around this site when im away to see what im posting....she will be happy that i mentioned our wedding.

when the week of aug 1 gets closer, we might have to get each others' IRL emails to coordinate the golf outing. tls might be a little difficult.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 pm

moandersen wrote:when the week of aug 1 gets closer, we might have to get each others' IRL emails to coordinate the golf outing. tls might be a little difficult.

just pm'd you my email

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”