Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tstyler98

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

lawyerlover wrote:
peeker82 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:also add: complete/accept/alter financial aid package

For anyone who hasn't already sent in the loan application, you might want to get on it. One of the more recent emails we received says that the package is due by June 11.

what if we're still on other waitlists? does this affect our chance at modifying our loans down the road if we change schools?

same question

I don't believe so, cause you'd have a complete different financial aid package from the other school based off their Cost of Attendance.

gogo

Postby gogo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:43 pm

peeker82 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

For anyone who hasn't already sent in the loan application, you might want to get on it. One of the more recent emails we received says that the package is due by June 11.

what if we're still on other waitlists? does this affect our chance at modifying our loans down the road if we change schools?

I just PM'ed you about this.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
sufjan wrote:still haven't gotten my WIN access letter...should I get with Wake admissions?

just sent my second deposit and will be attending the Saturday portion of the House Hunt. Anyone else going?

If you don't get it by Monday, I'd give them a call.

I sent my 2nd deposit as well, and I'll also be at the House Hunt on Saturday. I already found my apartment (Crowne Park) and will be signing the lease on Saturday, but I wanted to get a chance to meet everyone. It's too bad you won't be at the game on Friday. Should be a lot of fun, especially since I love baseball. :D

Tyler, I'm at Crowne Park also, but I'm still coming to the House Hunt. I'll see you there.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 am

wakemeup wrote:I also lined up a place at the Pines. They said I snagged the last one bedroom, but salespeople always say stuff like that in order to create urgency. There may be more opening up. I'm glad I read the reviews in this thread and checked out apartmentratings.com. Made my decision pretty easy.

Anybody thinking about buying a scooter? I might.

I was down there on the 5th, and the lady said they were all out of 1BR. I really only visited just to see if they wowed me b/c I was already heavily leaning towards Polo or Park. I'm not trying to say I'm ritzy or something, but from what I'm used to, the Pines really didn't do it for me. They were nice and left lots of follow-up messages, but I ended up going with Park because of the feel of newness and less congestion in the area. The Pines is set in the midst of some crazy looking other apartments, while Park and Polo are set off by themselves. However, if price is definitely a concern, I could see leaning towards the Pines.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 am

Anybody have any insight about Providence Pointe apartments? They're about four miles from the school, so it's not too much of a drive. They're also pretty new, so I can't seem to find any ratings or anything.

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 am

MarineKappa wrote:
wakemeup wrote:I also lined up a place at the Pines. They said I snagged the last one bedroom, but salespeople always say stuff like that in order to create urgency. There may be more opening up. I'm glad I read the reviews in this thread and checked out apartmentratings.com. Made my decision pretty easy.

I was down there on the 5th, and the lady said they were all out of 1BR. I really only visited just to see if they wowed me b/c I was already heavily leaning towards Polo or Park. I'm not trying to say I'm ritzy or something, but from what I'm used to, the Pines really didn't do it for me. They were nice and left lots of follow-up messages, but I ended up going with Park because of the feel of newness and less congestion in the area. The Pines is set in the midst of some crazy looking other apartments, while Park and Polo are set off by themselves. However, if price is definitely a concern, I could see leaning towards the Pines.

I haven't actually seen the apartments. Now, the woman I deposited with said that the 1 bedrooms are in an older building (1980's construction) than the two bedrooms, but that they're still in the gated complex. Could those be the crazy looking apartments? Hmm.... Maybe I didn't get so lucky. And by crazy, do you mean architecturally experimental or sketchy crazy? They had me at cable + HBO included.

TarHeel2010

Postby TarHeel2010 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 am

gogo wrote:
peeker82 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I just PM'ed you about this.

can you PM me as well....I am curious to your answer, thanks!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 am

MarineKappa wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
sufjan wrote:still haven't gotten my WIN access letter...should I get with Wake admissions?

just sent my second deposit and will be attending the Saturday portion of the House Hunt. Anyone else going?

If you don't get it by Monday, I'd give them a call.

I sent my 2nd deposit as well, and I'll also be at the House Hunt on Saturday. I already found my apartment (Crowne Park) and will be signing the lease on Saturday, but I wanted to get a chance to meet everyone. It's too bad you won't be at the game on Friday. Should be a lot of fun, especially since I love baseball. :D

Tyler, I'm at Crowne Park also, but I'm still coming to the House Hunt. I'll see you there.

Yeah! It'll be good to meet someone else who will be living in Park.

Can't wait to meet everyone tonight or tomorrow. :D

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 am

wakemeup wrote:
MarineKappa wrote:

I haven't actually seen the apartments. Now, the woman I deposited with said that the 1 bedrooms are in an older building (1980's construction) than the two bedrooms, but that they're still in the gated complex. Could those be the crazy looking apartments? Hmm.... Maybe I didn't get so lucky. And by crazy, do you mean architecturally experimental or sketchy crazy? They had me at cable + HBO included.

Yes, indeed, that cable was almost a deal maker for me - made me think long and hard. The "crazy looking apts" I was speaking of were just some of the surrounding other apts in the immediate vicinity - such as The Trails. That one and some others just had a feel of "I don't really feel comfortable around here."

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 am

Heidi sent an e-mail about going out Saturday night and exploring the city. Sounds like a good time to let off some steam and energy. Anybody going for sure?

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:45 am

MarineKappa wrote:
wakemeup wrote:
MarineKappa wrote:

Yes, indeed, that cable was almost a deal maker for me - made me think long and hard. The "crazy looking apts" I was speaking of were just some of the surrounding other apts in the immediate vicinity - such as The Trails. That one and some others just had a feel of "I don't really feel comfortable around here."

Gotcha. The reviews on the Trails are OK, but the reviews on the Woods and a few of those other places in that vicinity should make anybody considering them think twice.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 am

Last edited by tarheel87 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:55 am

Anyone else moving to Wake Forest pretty much flat broke? I am moving with no real cash, no car, no furniture, and hardly any belongings; I cannot afford the cost of moving. I could not even afford the trip for the housing hunt, I elected to go with campus owned housing. I am worried that I will once again be singled out as the poor kid in class.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 pm

exitlane wrote:Anyone else moving to Wake Forest pretty much flat broke? I am moving with no real cash, no car, no furniture, and hardly any belongings; I cannot afford the cost of moving. I could not even afford the trip for the housing hunt, I elected to go with campus owned housing. I am worried that I will once again be singled out as the poor kid in class.

I'm coming with next to no money. I don't think you will be singled out, and if you are it's none of their business and anyone who comments on it is a jerk. There should be plenty of people coming straight from undergrad with no savings, real furniture or nice stuff.

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Which major carrier provides the best cell reception in W-S?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:18 pm

wakemeup wrote:Which major carrier provides the best cell reception in W-S?

I got fine reception with AT&T when I visited.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
wakemeup wrote:Which major carrier provides the best cell reception in W-S?

I got fine reception with AT&T when I visited.

I have Verizon and it seems good so far. But I would think any would be fine since you are in a well populated area.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm

how was house hunt weekend?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:41 am

moandersen wrote:how was house hunt weekend?

It has been a lot of fun. I'm glad I came and had a chance to meet everyone who came.

StephBee

Postby StephBee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm interested in hearing more about the house hunt, also. Was there a pretty good turnout?

I'll probably be moving around August 1 unless something changes. I'm excited about all the people interested in golfing, hopefully we'll be able to get something together. I don't know about golfing 10 months out of the year, though. I'm from the deep south, so I don't know how different a North Carolina winter is going to be.

As far as housing goes, does anyone know how easily the Crowne apartments fill up? I'm still on several waitlists, so I want to wait a while before signing a lease. Anyone in a similar situation?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

StephBee wrote:I'll probably be moving around August 1 unless something changes. I'm excited about all the people interested in golfing, hopefully we'll be able to get something together. I don't know about golfing 10 months out of the year, though. I'm from the deep south, so I don't know how different a North Carolina winter is going to be.

+1 for golf!! It looks like there are a few options in W-S. FYI, PAD sponsors an annual golf tournament; something to work towards :)

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Dumb question, but are we required to purchase a new laptop?

Also, what should we wear to orientation? The last email said something about professional attire. Suit, sportcoat, shirt & tie? Tuxedo? No, but seriously, I just don't want to be overdressed or underdressed and look like a tool.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 pm

wakemeup wrote:Dumb question, but are we required to purchase a new laptop?

Also, what should we wear to orientation? The last email said something about professional attire. Suit, sportcoat, shirt & tie? Tuxedo? No, but seriously, I just don't want to be overdressed or underdressed and look like a tool.

You're required to have a laptop, but, as long as you have one, I don't think you have to buy another one. Also, any chance you have the text from that email about professional attire? I must have missed that email or at least that part of the email.

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:01 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

You're required to have a laptop, but, as long as you have one, I don't think you have to buy another one. Also, any chance you have the text from that email about professional attire? I must have missed that email or at least that part of the email.

It came in the confirmation of receipt email for the 2nd deposit.

Here it is: "Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your tuition deposit! We're glad you'll be joining our community.
Please be prepared to be on campus Friday morning, August 13 to pick up your Orientation packet (contains WFU ID card and living expense check, if applicable and other informational handouts) and have your professional picture taken. Professional attire (at least from the waist up). Additionally, there will be training classes on Westlaw, Lexis, WIN and installing printers."

Eh, I'm guessing shirt and tie.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

wakemeup wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

It came in the confirmation of receipt email for the 2nd deposit.

Here it is: "Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your tuition deposit! We're glad you'll be joining our community.
Please be prepared to be on campus Friday morning, August 13 to pick up your Orientation packet (contains WFU ID card and living expense check, if applicable and other informational handouts) and have your professional picture taken. Professional attire (at least from the waist up). Additionally, there will be training classes on Westlaw, Lexis, WIN and installing printers."

Eh, I'm guessing shirt and tie.

Thanks. They cashed my check a while back, but I've yet to receive a confirmation. I guess that would explain why I "missed" that email.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”