Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu May 27, 2010 5:01 pm

it was in writing.

Go to the pines, and ask for laurie.

Tell em nicholasnickynic sent you (actually, dont do that).

She should offer you free cable/free 1st months rent/ and the first 12 months rent at 100 dollars cheaper a month than the interwebz says it is..

Thats what she offered me.

Oh, and after 3 months, numerous email and telephone correspondences, as well as a few text messages, Wake Forest has decided to up my scholly.

Hear I come, Wake Forest!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm

moandersen wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:If I end up going to wake (which is dependent on current negotiations 8) ) I would probably go with Pines at bethabara. A 1l told me that there were a lot of wake law students there. And, you get free cable and hbo for your entire lease, as well as first months rent free. Assuming the actual apartments aren't pos's I'd prob go for there.

is that in writing somewhere? that would probably seal the deal for me.....

*edit* nm i found it, but its for frebruary......not sure what they have going on now. They got some serious pet fees. 300/pet?! are they going to pick up the crap with that money?

That seems like a reasonable deposit for a pet. Another place I looked at had the exact same price. It makes sense- if your animals mess stuff up, they have money to fix it.

What i DID not like was the 10 dollar/month fee for pets. I mean, really?

But overall I still think its a pretty good deal (although not as good as UGA prices :| ).

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:it was in writing.

Go to the pines, and ask for laurie.

Tell em nicholasnickynic sent you (actually, dont do that).

She should offer you free cable/free 1st months rent/ and the first 12 months rent at 100 dollars cheaper a month than the interwebz says it is..

Thats what she offered me.

Oh, and after 3 months, numerous email and telephone correspondences, as well as a few text messages, Wake Forest has decided to up my scholly.

Heey cool, we will be neighbors!! Are you in a 1 bedroom? They just called and told me my apt number the other day.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Dunno. Haven't agreed to live there yet. Depends what the misses wants. But I definitly want to. Like I said though, a 1l told me there are lots of wakies from the law school there, so Im sure theyll be some zero Ls moving in 8)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu May 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Oh, and after 3 months, numerous email and telephone correspondences, as well as a few text messages, Wake Forest has decided to up my scholly.

jealous as hell, but congrats! Did they call you. Ive emailed (5 times i think) and written/sent letters but not even a peep in return. I dont have the leverage you had though. Who did you ask for when you called? Might as well call and tell them Im coming in next week to see if meeting in person will help my case.

Ive also been looking on the WF housing page and will probably check out a few of those apartments.

Also about the pines...not sure if you know. It says free cable, but how easy will it be to add HD and DVR? Any idea?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 am

moandersen wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Oh, and after 3 months, numerous email and telephone correspondences, as well as a few text messages, Wake Forest has decided to up my scholly.

jealous as hell, but congrats! Did they call you. Ive emailed (5 times i think) and written/sent letters but not even a peep in return. I dont have the leverage you had though. Who did you ask for when you called? Might as well call and tell them Im coming in next week to see if meeting in person will help my case.

Ive also been looking on the WF housing page and will probably check out a few of those apartments.

Also about the pines...not sure if you know. It says free cable, but how easy will it be to add HD and DVR? Any idea?

In terms of negotiating... I talked to just about every one. Melanie Nutt and Jennifer Hutcherson seem to be the two main ones. I also talked with Dean Gibbs after she text messaged me, saying she saw me deposit at two schools and would I be attending wake?.

I would ask for melanie, but shes out of office. So, if I were you, I'd call asking for Melanie. you'll be told shes out of office (cause she is) so then Id follow up with email to debbie walker asking them to please foward your message to mrs. nutt.

I guess Im outing myself to admissions staff that read this board, but, whatever.

Basically, I tried negotiate with Wake, but they pretty much ignored me. UGA was about 45k and wake was about 55.5k. In light of this, I started seriously looking at UGA (I've got a wifey with me who is struggling with jobs, so every penny counts).

The more I looked at UGA, the more I liked it. Visited and was floored etc.

Anyways, I called Wake, E-mailed them and stuff, and they pretty much ignored me. However, after first deposit, I called them to let them know that I had a competing offer from UGA and would they like to increase my scholly? They kind of brushed me off until I explained that I was serious about UGA and that I had deposited there. Thats when they kind of took note and took down my name and asked what uga was offering etc.

From then on we occasionally emailed back and fourth. A few days ago, I was like, look I need a decision on scholarly money to make up my mind (cause I did, UGA is a great school and I still feel a little uneasy about giving it up). The next day they offered me an extra 2.5k, making the diff 45k vs 48k. So I took it. Honestly, I think it was 1)Luck, 2) The fact that I liked UGA and let them know it 3) My deposit at uga and 4) Luck.

Re: HD and DVR, no clue. Im guessing they have some kind of package deal with the cable company, so that might be all they can offer. Still, I was looking at cable in the area and it was like 70.oo a month, so with hbo, thats like 90 bucks a month free. Great deal. If I live outside of pines im prob going to take dish networks introductry offer for a year (35/month) and then switch to directtvs introductory offer for a year (30/month). Cause I dont know what cable is like where you guys come from, but no way in hell am I paying 70/month for cable.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 pm

I'm going to be at Crowne Oaks. So many good deals around the WF area but only Crowne has personal garages. The rest of the complexes I contacted don't have any covered parking whatsoever. My car is not sitting outside for 3 years. Where I live there is some form of covered parking (overhangs, personal garages, parking garages), not the case around WF.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri May 28, 2010 6:19 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I'm going to be at Crowne Oaks. So many good deals around the WF area but only Crowne has personal garages. The rest of the complexes I contacted don't have any covered parking whatsoever. My car is not sitting outside for 3 years. Where I live there is some form of covered parking (overhangs, personal garages, parking garages), not the case around WF.
\

Fair enough. And there are a lot of sweet appts near wake.

Me and the wifey are gonna be here though:
--LinkRemoved--

But at a much cheaper price. I'm excited, theres a fenced in back yard for the dog!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri May 28, 2010 7:20 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I'm going to be at Crowne Oaks. So many good deals around the WF area but only Crowne has personal garages. The rest of the complexes I contacted don't have any covered parking whatsoever. My car is not sitting outside for 3 years. Where I live there is some form of covered parking (overhangs, personal garages, parking garages), not the case around WF.

Never had a garage before, and now that Im probably moving away from the cold, I dont see much of a use for one.

Oaks is the farthest one away from WF, right?

nick - thats quite a turnaround. one day you are heading to the pines, the next day a house. that place looks sweet. we (wife and dogs and I) have considered renting a house, can you pm me the price you will be paying? I would like to know how much more it would be. thanks

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 28, 2010 7:21 pm

moandersen wrote:Never had a garage before, and now that Im probably moving away from the cold, I dont see much of a use for one.

You will when it's sitting at 100 degrees outside.

Also, anyone know, or have any experience with, asking for a small delay in the deposit deadline?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 pm

moandersen wrote:

Never had a garage before, and now that Im probably moving away from the cold, I dont see much of a use for one.

nick - thats quite a turnaround. one day you are heading to the pines, the next day a house. that place looks sweet. we (wife and dogs and I) have considered renting a house, can you pm me the price you will be paying? I would like to know how much more it would be. thanks

I'm not sure, but it's 1.6 miles from campus or something like that.

I don't want my paint to turn to s*it. Rain + blistering heat is a horrible combination for paint (sunspots, oxidizing, peeling, cracking, etc.) and the summer heat will destroy a car's interior. My car rarely sees rain and it's not about to start.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 28, 2010 8:25 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I don't want my paint to turn to s*it. Rain + blistering heat is a horrible combination for paint (sunspots, oxidizing, peeling, cracking, etc.) and the summer heat will destroy a car's interior. My car rarely sees rain and it's not about to start.

You know it's only hot for like a month, right?

And that modern paint jobs can withstand Death Valley for 2 straight years before they start to show it?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
RSN_M3 wrote:I don't want my paint to turn to s*it. Rain + blistering heat is a horrible combination for paint (sunspots, oxidizing, peeling, cracking, etc.) and the summer heat will destroy a car's interior. My car rarely sees rain and it's not about to start.

You know it's only hot for like a month, right?

And that modern paint jobs can withstand Death Valley for 2 straight years before they start to show it?

I've seen what rain and sun do to a car in Texas. My car's paint is 11 years old, but the car looks like it rolled off the lot yesterday. Can't say the same for my beater car. Regardless, the car is like my pet, sunspots, dirt and the like are to be avoided if possible. That $95 dollars a month for a garage worth it to protect the car from the elements and door dents. Different strokes I guess.

vikspeed

Postby vikspeed » Sat May 29, 2010 12:23 am

So for those going to the House Hunt, how much are you having to pay to fly into Greensboro? The best I can now get is $500 round trip (and the lowest I had seen was $400). I don't know if it's worth paying at this point. I'm looking at houses and condo's in the area and probably won't be quick leasing over that weekend. I would like to visit and meet people. Nonetheless...

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat May 29, 2010 10:52 am

vikspeed wrote:So for those going to the House Hunt, how much are you having to pay to fly into Greensboro? The best I can now get is $500 round trip (and the lowest I had seen was $400). I don't know if it's worth paying at this point. I'm looking at houses and condo's in the area and probably won't be quick leasing over that weekend. I would like to visit and meet people. Nonetheless...

If you really don't want to spend the money...

See if anyone on here is going to househunt.

If they are, (which I gather a few are) Just ask them how it went, what their opinions were etc. Not quite as good as going there in person, but if you save $500 + $100 on hotel + $100 food (dinner, game, going out, breakfast next morning)... then it might be worth it if you really dont want to spend 700 dollars. Although its quite a risk to rent an apartment or house sight unseen.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 am

kalvano wrote:
moandersen wrote:Never had a garage before, and now that Im probably moving away from the cold, I dont see much of a use for one.

You will when it's sitting at 100 degrees outside.

Maybe. With my car you can roll all the windows down before getting to it. That allows all the heat to escape and lets it cool off before I open the doors. If I just bought a brand new 50k car, ya I would pay for a garage. But owning a car in the city and using street parking for the last 5 years has made me less concerned about its appearance.

500 r/t seems expensive. You must live in a small city/town. Im flying in next saturday for 240 r/t. The fiance got 2 interview lined up so she will be coming with to hopefully secure a job. As for housing Ive decided to look at the the pines, crowne park, a couple places from craigslist, and a couple from the WF housing site.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I'm not sure, but it's 1.6 miles from campus or something like that.

I don't want my paint to turn to s*it. Rain + blistering heat is a horrible combination for paint (sunspots, oxidizing, peeling, cracking, etc.) and the summer heat will destroy a car's interior. My car rarely sees rain and it's not about to start.

Sounds like my truck! Except the interior is fine.
If you're that worried, buy a tarp or something :D

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Did anyone else get the letter from Wake with their username and temporary password to log in to their system and e-mail? I wasn't expecting it until sometime in July. It's starting to seem so official.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat May 29, 2010 1:13 pm

WHAT!?!? *Runs to E-mail*!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat May 29, 2010 1:14 pm

no. :cry: :cry:

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Did anyone else get the letter from Wake with their username and temporary password to log in to their system and e-mail? I wasn't expecting it until sometime in July. It's starting to seem so official.

Got it!

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:30 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Did anyone else get the letter from Wake with their username and temporary password to log in to their system and e-mail? I wasn't expecting it until sometime in July. It's starting to seem so official.

No! Was it emailed or snail mailed? How cool!!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat May 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Will yours allow you to access the email account? It lets me onto the WIN site, but it won't let me onto the email account.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Sat May 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Any chance of any of you joining the Wake Law 2013 Facebook group? Also, look forward to seeing u guys (who are going) at the HH.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

Will yours allow you to access the email account? It lets me onto the WIN site, but it won't let me onto the email account.

Mine won't let me access the email account either but I can get into WIN.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”