Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LadyTarHeelian
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
LadyTarHeelian wrote:After the email, my status checker kept its original date of 2/4/2010. But today mine changed to today's date. Anyone else experience this and want to hypothesize if it could mean anything? My guess is that they finally processed my email saying I want to remain on the wait list, which I sent last Thursday.


did your current status date change, also? or just your decision? if just your decision, then they just updated that you want to remain on the waitlist. If your current status changed, also, then I do not know what this means, but it happened to me.


The decision has been Wait List since 2/4/2010. Today the date beneath Wait List changed to 5/3/2010. The last time my date changed without a change in the decision I received an email telling me I had been waitlisted a few hours later. So this could mean a change in decision is headed my way (good or bad) or it could just mean that they've reaffirmed my position on the waitlist. Glad I'm not the only one who experienced a change though.

MarineKappa
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby MarineKappa » Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 am

Regarding the Dean's Certification Form:

Does anyone have any insight regarding the "right of access to this questionnaire" part of the form? Specifically, does anyone have any ideas if "NOT" waiving the right of access will hamper you in any way? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:04 pm

MarineKappa wrote:Regarding the Dean's Certification Form:

Does anyone have any insight regarding the "right of access to this questionnaire" part of the form? Specifically, does anyone have any ideas if "NOT" waiving the right of access will hamper you in any way? Thanks in advance.


I can't really see there being a problem with not waiving it. I know with letters of recommendation it is encouraged so that the person writing the recommendation is more honest since they know you won't be able to read it (but why would it matter if you're asking someone who's writing a good recommendation). The person filling out the Dean's Certification form really is just verifying that you graduated when you said you did and that there weren't any issues, so I can't see why they wouldn't be honest. Plus, most likely, they don't really know you unless you were really involved with the administration.

But that's just my thought. You could always e-mail Wake and ask them.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Sun May 09, 2010 11:54 pm

When is that due by? My UG takes forever to process those.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:52 am

kalvano wrote:When is that due by? My UG takes forever to process those.


I think August 1st but I'm not sure. Hopefully they will post a list of when everything is due soon.

GoGreenGoWhite
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby GoGreenGoWhite » Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 am

Hello I have a quick (2-part) question...for someone/anyone:

I recently applied to WFU a few months ago and although my numbers were no where near the medians for the school, I was surprisingly offered a reserve spot for the incoming class, meaning I was placed on the 'admit-hold' list. From what I read, 'admit-hold' is not the same as being on the waitlist, meaning that if in the event a seat becomes available due to late withdrawals, no deposits, etc., candidates on the 'admit-hold' a.k.a 'reserve' list will automatically get offered an opportunity before those candidates whove been placed on the WL.

Part A) I basically wanted to know what you think the likelihood is of someone getting off the reserve list at WFU this year, especially given the big increase in apps/deposits??...from what I've been told through another source, they've almost always ended up admitting people off the reserve list in the past because some ealier admits would inevitably drop out/withdraw either prior to or immediately after the June 15th deposit deadline.

Part B) If say, the admissions office @ WFU hypothetically received 100 seat deposits prior to the June 15th deadline, and there were hypothetically only 80 seats in the class max, would that indicate that they initially made 100 offers to other candidates prior to creating the 'reserve' list (meaning they over-admitted an extra 25% of class capacity)?? Or could that possibly mean that some of those 100 deposits are actually double counted because some of these earlier admits have already sent in multiple deposits??

I'm just trying to do the math in my head to assess what my chances are of being offered a seat of said 'reserve' list.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone...Thanks in advance for your input.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 am

GoGreenGoWhite wrote:I'm just trying to do the math in my head to assess what my chances are of being offered a seat of said 'reserve' list.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone...Thanks in advance for your input.


Your chances are better than someone who is on the WL i guess. Do you have a back up plan in case you dont get an offer? Yes, your post was confusing, or its just really early on a monday and nothing makes sense right now.

GoGreenGoWhite
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby GoGreenGoWhite » Mon May 10, 2010 11:18 am

Actually not really, I'm dead set on staying in NC for law school (currently live in Winston-Salem), although I've been admitted w/$$$ at my undergrad alma mater MSU Law School, which is a non-starter for me considering horrible the Michigan economy is, and the fact that I also went there for my MBA. In addition, I've only been waitlisted at UNC, which I know is about 1000 people long, so Wake is pretty much my last best hope.

I guess to put my long questions another way, what do you think the likelihood is of a mass of people either backing out or not sending in there deposits per the June 15th deadline?? Especially considering its already mid-May??

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 11:29 am

GoGreenGoWhite wrote:Actually not really, I'm dead set on staying in NC for law school (currently live in Winston-Salem), although I've been admitted w/$$$ at my undergrad alma mater MSU Law School, which is a non-starter for me considering horrible the Michigan economy is, and the fact that I also went there for my MBA. In addition, I've only been waitlisted at UNC, which I know is about 1000 people long, so Wake is pretty much my last best hope.

I guess to put my long questions another way, what do you think the likelihood is of a mass of people either backing out or not sending in there deposits per the June 15th deadline?? Especially considering its already mid-May??


I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.

GoGreenGoWhite
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby GoGreenGoWhite » Mon May 10, 2010 11:34 am

traehekat wrote:
GoGreenGoWhite wrote:Actually not really, I'm dead set on staying in NC for law school (currently live in Winston-Salem), although I've been admitted w/$$$ at my undergrad alma mater MSU Law School, which is a non-starter for me considering horrible the Michigan economy is, and the fact that I also went there for my MBA. In addition, I've only been waitlisted at UNC, which I know is about 1000 people long, so Wake is pretty much my last best hope.

I guess to put my long questions another way, what do you think the likelihood is of a mass of people either backing out or not sending in there deposits per the June 15th deadline?? Especially considering its already mid-May??


I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


Wow...just out of curiousity, what was the deciding factor in your case??

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am

GoGreenGoWhite wrote:
traehekat wrote:
GoGreenGoWhite wrote:Actually not really, I'm dead set on staying in NC for law school (currently live in Winston-Salem), although I've been admitted w/$$$ at my undergrad alma mater MSU Law School, which is a non-starter for me considering horrible the Michigan economy is, and the fact that I also went there for my MBA. In addition, I've only been waitlisted at UNC, which I know is about 1000 people long, so Wake is pretty much my last best hope.

I guess to put my long questions another way, what do you think the likelihood is of a mass of people either backing out or not sending in there deposits per the June 15th deadline?? Especially considering its already mid-May??


I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


Wow...just out of curiousity, what was the deciding factor in your case??


I visited Wake Forest, checked out Winston-Salem, drove out to Charlotte for a day, and loved it. Then I decided to go to Iowa :P.

Honestly, what really did it for me is the region. I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and when I actually made that 10 hour drive out to North Carolina, it really hit me how far away I would be moving from everything and everyone I have ever known. I deposited at Wake Forest after I received a scholarship thinking there was no way I was going to turn the offer down, but the idea of being tied to a region I have never even been to for more than 2 days just seemed wild. It would be one thing if it was just three years and if I wanted to come back to Chicago it wouldn't be a problem, but chances are you are going to be working in North Carolina after you graduate from Wake Forest. I just couldn't commit to that, even with the scholarship.

I have almost no complaints about the Wake Forest College of Law. The admissions office has been unbelievably kind and helpful, and the students I interacted with there were very friendly. The campus is beautiful, and Winston-Salem is, for the most part, a pretty nice city. Any prospective law student would be lucky to attend Wake, and I wish all you guys good luck. I have no doubt you will all be happy with your decision if you choose Wake.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Mon May 10, 2010 12:17 pm

traehekat wrote:I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


sorry to hear that. make sure when you withdraw to ask that your scholarship $$ goes my way (ill give you my lsac # if you want :wink: ) - they just sent out a financial aid email stating all $$ is gone :| where did you start from that only made the drive 10hrs to winston-salem? im ready to get out of the midwest and head some place warmer. i lived in a bunch of different cities/states and while i love chicago, im ready for a change.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 1:15 pm

moandersen wrote:
traehekat wrote:I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


sorry to hear that. make sure when you withdraw to ask that your scholarship $$ goes my way (ill give you my lsac # if you want :wink: ) - they just sent out a financial aid email stating all $$ is gone :| where did you start from that only made the drive 10hrs to winston-salem? im ready to get out of the midwest and head some place warmer. i lived in a bunch of different cities/states and while i love chicago, im ready for a change.


Started the drive from Champaign, so that saved a couple hours at least.

Re: Scholarship, I was actually planning on mentioning in the withdrawal email that it would be nice if the scholarship money went to someone in this thread, hahaha. I mean, they figured out who I am by watching this thread, so I'm sure they can figure out who you all are, too. Obviously I don't expect them to take into consideration anything I have to say regarding where I think the money should go, but hey you never know, everyone is so nice that it's a possibility.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Mon May 10, 2010 2:04 pm

traehekat wrote:
moandersen wrote:
traehekat wrote:I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


sorry to hear that. make sure when you withdraw to ask that your scholarship $$ goes my way (ill give you my lsac # if you want :wink: ) - they just sent out a financial aid email stating all $$ is gone :| where did you start from that only made the drive 10hrs to winston-salem? im ready to get out of the midwest and head some place warmer. i lived in a bunch of different cities/states and while i love chicago, im ready for a change.


Started the drive from Champaign, so that saved a couple hours at least.

Re: Scholarship, I was actually planning on mentioning in the withdrawal email that it would be nice if the scholarship money went to someone in this thread, hahaha. I mean, they figured out who I am by watching this thread, so I'm sure they can figure out who you all are, too. Obviously I don't expect them to take into consideration anything I have to say regarding where I think the money should go, but hey you never know, everyone is so nice that it's a possibility.


wow. I thought if i drove there, I would have to stay overnight somewhere.... maybe it will only take one long day. good to know. i absolutely love your scholarship idea. they no doubt know who i am since my username hides nothing, so just ask if it be given to moandersen. in return (and if they agree), ill give you two of my tickets i have for the conference finals if the hawks make it past the canucks (if hockey is your thing). if you dont like hockey, well....we can think of something else.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon May 10, 2010 6:03 pm

moandersen wrote:
traehekat wrote:I'll be withdrawing by the end of this week once finals are over, most likely, so there is one spot open at least.


sorry to hear that. make sure when you withdraw to ask that your scholarship $$ goes my way (ill give you my lsac # if you want :wink: ) - they just sent out a financial aid email stating all $$ is gone :| where did you start from that only made the drive 10hrs to winston-salem? im ready to get out of the midwest and head some place warmer. i lived in a bunch of different cities/states and while i love chicago, im ready for a change.


Really? Was it adressed to a lot of people?

I don't seem to have recieved one.

What did yours say?

Whether or not they can match my scholly from a higher ranked school is crucial in my decision.

I feel bad holding deposits and schollies at two schools, but I can't decide where to go until Wake responds with a definite "NO, we cannot give you any more money" or a "here's some more $$s"!

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Tue May 11, 2010 9:49 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Really? Was it adressed to a lot of people?

I don't seem to have recieved one.

What did yours say?

Whether or not they can match my scholly from a higher ranked school is crucial in my decision.

I feel bad holding deposits and schollies at two schools, but I can't decide where to go until Wake responds with a definite "NO, we cannot give you any more money" or a "here's some more $$s"!


It was kinda hidden in the Financial Aid Award Instructions email sent by Janet Cromer

Here is what it says:

Note: To date, all scholarship funds have been awarded. If funds become available after the second deposit, June 15 we will notify you if you have been selected for an award.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 11:07 am

So the second deposit is June 15, even for scholarship recipients?

I thought it was June 1. Good news.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 am

kalvano wrote:So the second deposit is June 15, even for scholarship recipients?

I thought it was June 1. Good news.


no idea, still no $$ for me :?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue May 11, 2010 2:39 pm

This is getting on my nerves, they told me a while ago that they would let me know in a few days.

If they are not going to give me money, they just need to tell me that so I can make my decision.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tarheel87 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:This is getting on my nerves, they told me a while ago that they would let me know in a few days.

If they are not going to give me money, they just need to tell me that so I can make my decision.


Same here, they really need to let us know. I kinda want to call but I tried twice a few weeks ago and Melanie Nutt wasn't in.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Wed May 12, 2010 10:07 am

tarheel87 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:This is getting on my nerves, they told me a while ago that they would let me know in a few days.

If they are not going to give me money, they just need to tell me that so I can make my decision.


Same here, they really need to let us know. I kinda want to call but I tried twice a few weeks ago and Melanie Nutt wasn't in.


its tough to get in touch with her. she asked me to email her and I did (three times) but never got a response. bummer. I hope they are giving out consistent information about scholarships/deadlines. that would be shady if they varied their answers depending on the person. anyways, i sent a snail mail letter - hopefully that is well-received.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed May 12, 2010 4:55 pm

At the bottom of the Dean's Certification Form it reads: NO ACTION CAN BE TAKEN ON THIS STUDENT'S APPLICATION UNTIL THIS FORM IS RETURNED.

Does that mean if they have already accepted me that I've already done the certification?

I'm asking because I did the certification for a number of schools already, and don't remember if Wake was one of them. I am no longer near my college, and don't want to try to do the whole certification process via snail-mail phone if I don't have to.

Thanks!

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed May 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:At the bottom of the Dean's Certification Form it reads: NO ACTION CAN BE TAKEN ON THIS STUDENT'S APPLICATION UNTIL THIS FORM IS RETURNED.

Does that mean if they have already accepted me that I've already done the certification?

I'm asking because I did the certification for a number of schools already, and don't remember if Wake was one of them. I am no longer near my college, and don't want to try to do the whole certification process via snail-mail phone if I don't have to.

Thanks!


No. You probably haven't done it yet. Wake doesn't require the certification until you've been accepted and are preparing to enroll.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm

So, I just got the info email from wake. June 11 is the deadline for submitting loan apps? Has anyone submitted this yet? How long does it take?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 pm

lml09 wrote:So, I just got the info email from wake. June 11 is the deadline for submitting loan apps? Has anyone submitted this yet? How long does it take?



Do your FAFSA. Takes about 20 minutes.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”