Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
patrex4637
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby patrex4637 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/wake-for ... -meltdown/

Anyone else concerned that this seems to be an annual event? Also that there are groups of law students wasting their time stalking the Career Services people instead of studying/ being productive?

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

patrex4637 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/wake-forest-law-students-time-for-the-annual-meltdown/

Anyone else concerned that this seems to be an annual event? Also that there are groups of law students wasting their time stalking the Career Services people instead of studying/ being productive?


Im concerned for two reasons:

1. This does seem to be a recurring theme at Wake, but most schools Career Services seem sub-par if you go by TLSers. I for one plan to be very proactive in my job search and not wait for someone to 'find' a job for me.

2. You created an account to post this. Why now?


edit:

Any current students at wake care to give their stance of career services in general, and this new fiasco?

User avatar
gogo
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby gogo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:39 pm

moandersen wrote:
patrex4637 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/wake-forest-law-students-time-for-the-annual-meltdown/

Anyone else concerned that this seems to be an annual event? Also that there are groups of law students wasting their time stalking the Career Services people instead of studying/ being productive?


Im concerned for two reasons:

1. This does seem to be a recurring theme at Wake, but most schools Career Services seem sub-par if you go by TLSers. I for one plan to be very proactive in my job search and not wait for someone to 'find' a job for me.

2. You created an account to post this. Why now?


edit:

Any current students at wake care to give their stance of career services in general, and this new fiasco?


I would like to know this too - this seems to be a concern of students for over a year now...career services and career placement are my major hangup with wake.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

patrex4637 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/wake-forest-law-students-time-for-the-annual-meltdown/

Anyone else concerned that this seems to be an annual event? Also that there are groups of law students wasting their time stalking the Career Services people instead of studying/ being productive?



Does not concern me at all. This kid sounds like a real jerk and a super creeper. Maybe instead of spending an entire year stalking the career services coffee breaks he should have been studying or doing his own job search.

News flash: no one is just going to give you a job any more, you need to put in your own work. Maybe the problem lies with his piss poor attitude (and grades? If you have horrible grades I don't think career services can do much to help you)

Maybe he has legitimate concerns, but I'm not worried about him, I'm just going to focus on
doing the best I can.

Edits for fixing typos done while trying to hide iPhone from boss :D

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

The guy sounds like an idiot, but where there is smoke...

User avatar
Margo1020
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Margo1020 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm a 1L and have been extremely pleased with Wake's career services and placement rates for my class. Every 1L I know is doing something law-related this summer.

Probably 1/4-1/3rd are getting some type of payment (but most people don't talk about money so it's hard to know how accurate this is).

I don't think this is a problem at Wake and it's too bad one student felt the need to act like such an idiot.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:43 pm

I just got back from Florida for a friend's wedding, and I haven't received a blanket. :cry: I saw the posts on here while I was gone and was looking forward to coming home to my blanket...and nothing. So sad!

User avatar
carine44
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby carine44 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:55 pm

I don't have any complaints about career services, and I haven't heard any from people in my class (I have heard 3Ls complain about jobs, but they were affected the worst by the economy, just because of timing). They had a ton of contact with us this year--they've held monthly professional development programs, had mandatory one-on-one meetings and resume checks, offered an on-campus practice interview program that I know some people found really helpful, organized networking events, etc. There were quite a few spring 1L OCI sessions with more employers than I expected. Now, I have no idea whether anyone actually got a job through those, but if not I don't know how that would be the fault of career services.

It appears to me that they are doing the best they can in a bad market--and as I said upthread, I don't think anyone in my class has had any problems finding work for the summer. Obviously, people at the top of the class may have more numerous/better opportunities, but it's like that everywhere. Even so, I've never gotten the sense that they focus only on those students. Although a lot of the email was ridiculous (dusty books? really?), to address directly Wes Law's assertion that Elon places better in NC--if true, it's probably because they can't get hired anywhere else. People in my class have gotten summer jobs in NYC, D.C., Atlanta, California, Tennessee, Vermont, Florida, and Maryland, just to name a few off the top of my head. Those who actually wanted to work in NC are doing so.

My personal experience has been fine. My assigned advisor gave me a long list of employers that have hired from Wake in my desired area, sent me positions she thought I'd be interested in, and has been available and willing to help. I did not enter law school straight from undergrad and have some corporate work experience, so I definitely didn't expect someone to just hand me a job when I came to law school. All they can do is let you know what's out there and give you some advice about presenting yourself, but ultimately, you're the one who has to get yourself a job. I don't see any problem with that.

User avatar
carine44
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby carine44 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Sorry for the long posts!

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 pm

tstyler98 wrote:I just got back from Florida for a friend's wedding, and I haven't received a blanket. :cry: I saw the posts on here while I was gone and was looking forward to coming home to my blanket...and nothing. So sad!



Don't worry, I'm sure it's on it's way!! :P

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

yes... other than the elon bit (which above poster explained) there was absolutely no substance to the letter.

Just ranting.

Also, this is unbelievable.
He's been logging career services?

Really?

Edited to say, I like Ellie's responses.

I would not be worried about this being "another sign" of wake's bad career placement.

Sounds like he couldn't get a job, and had heard about the previous meltdown, and decided to do his own. He just wanted someone to blame, and CS had previously taken heat so he chose them.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 pm

lml09 wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:I just got back from Florida for a friend's wedding, and I haven't received a blanket. :cry: I saw the posts on here while I was gone and was looking forward to coming home to my blanket...and nothing. So sad!



Don't worry, I'm sure it's on it's way!! :P


I'm sure. But I'm in NC, so you'd think I'd have gotten it pretty quickly. Oh well...not a bit deal. :mrgreen:

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 am

carine44 wrote:Sorry for the long posts!


No need to apologize! The more info us prospective students get, the better. Its nice to hear the other side of career services and makes me feel a whole lot better. Im glad things for the current 1Ls werent all doom and gloom in terms of summer work.

A general 1L/2L summer question - If you work in a different city than the law school, are you expected to find and pay for housing during those 10 or so weeks? Im assuming yes, but that means I would be paying rent in two places for a couple months and would need to budget accordingly. Thanks for any insight.

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Any movement on the wait-list? Anybody on the wait-list get a status update, or email?

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:Any movement on the wait-list? Anybody on the wait-list get a status update, or email?


I received a wait list update e-mail today! Basically just asking me to reconfirm interest and update phone number(s) and my e-mail.

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Integrity wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:Any movement on the wait-list? Anybody on the wait-list get a status update, or email?


I received a wait list update e-mail today! Basically just asking me to reconfirm interest and update phone number(s) and my e-mail.


Did you reply? Has your decision status date changed at all over the last couple of weeks?

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Katherine » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I received the email as well. My status now says Wait List 4/28, however I am not sure when this changed (before or after I replied to the email).

Stats: 3.4/162

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Katherine wrote:I received the email as well. My status now says Wait List 4/28, however I am not sure when this changed (before or after I replied to the email).

Stats: 3.4/162


after....bummed, I guess I'm not so special!

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
Integrity wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:Any movement on the wait-list? Anybody on the wait-list get a status update, or email?


I received a wait list update e-mail today! Basically just asking me to reconfirm interest and update phone number(s) and my e-mail.


Did you reply? Has your decision status date changed at all over the last couple of weeks?


My status has not changed since my wait list notification (2/4). This was the e-mail:

Dear [Integrity]:

In anticipation of the Admissions Committee's review of waitlisted candidates later this summer, the admissions office requests notice of your desire to stay on or be removed from the waitlist. We do expect some accepted applicants to withdraw during the summer, both before and after the second deposit deadline (June 15th). We do not know when or how many spaces will be available, but we anticipate offering admissions to some candidates. If you wish to continue to remain on the list, please respond to this email at lawadmissions@wfu.edu at your earliest convenience and include the following information. If the information has not changed, please note this as well but you do not need to complete the data below.

Day telephone number:
Evening telephone number:
Cell phone number:
Current email address:
Date to remove from our wait list:

If you do not respond to this email by Friday, May 14th, your name will be removed from our wait list. Thank you for your continued patience and interest in Wake Forest University School of Law. If I may be of help, please feel free to call or write nuttme@wfu.edu.



Kind regards,
Melanie Nutt
Melanie Nutt, Director
Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University
School of Law
336-758-5705

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

most likely, you have yet to respond to that email.

Though I did get a status update last week for both app complete and decision status after being put on the waitlist a couple of weeks before. Odd...

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Integrity » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:most likely, you have yet to respond to that email.

Though I did get a status update last week for both app complete and decision status after being put on the waitlist a couple of weeks before. Odd...


Oh sorry, I did respond to the e-mail!

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Integrity wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:most likely, you have yet to respond to that email.

Though I did get a status update last week for both app complete and decision status after being put on the waitlist a couple of weeks before. Odd...


Oh sorry, I did respond to the e-mail!


Interesting...I am sure they will update you tomorrow, but interesting...

Hopefully, our little group of three here will get some good news soon, but I imagine we are all in for a long wait.

GoDucks85
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby GoDucks85 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I also got the waitlist email and responded to it today. My status checker still says 4/15 though.

User avatar
LadyTarHeelian
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 pm

After the email, my status checker kept its original date of 2/4/2010. But today mine changed to today's date. Anyone else experience this and want to hypothesize if it could mean anything? My guess is that they finally processed my email saying I want to remain on the wait list, which I sent last Thursday.

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:After the email, my status checker kept its original date of 2/4/2010. But today mine changed to today's date. Anyone else experience this and want to hypothesize if it could mean anything? My guess is that they finally processed my email saying I want to remain on the wait list, which I sent last Thursday.


did your current status date change, also? or just your decision? if just your decision, then they just updated that you want to remain on the waitlist. If your current status changed, also, then I do not know what this means, but it happened to me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal, mm2368 and 8 guests