Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
traehekat

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:16 pm

lml09 wrote:Anyways, Wake adcomms, I love you! Scholarship money?

Did you unroll the blanket yet? Maybe there are 3 $15,000 bills in there...

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
lml09 wrote:Anyways, Wake adcomms, I love you! Scholarship money?

Did you unroll the blanket yet? Maybe there are 3 $15,000 bills in there...

No such luck, but that would have been awesome. Maybe they'll send me a pillow next stuffed with $1000 bills?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm

lol @ kilvano and traehket.

Speaking of lurking...

Remember when everyone here talked about how much it sucked that wake forest didn't help pay for visits etc etc.

And then all of a sudden there was that 200 dollar reimbursment thing...

*cue twighlight zone music*

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:56 pm

lml09 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:one of the adcoms admitted to lurking in this thread. Didn't you express interest in a blanket?

Maybe she knows who you are.

(O.o)

That thought did occur to me since I was covetting traehekat's blanket a couple pages back, but my numbers on here and lsn are slightly fudged so if they managed to figure me out I would be impressed.

Anyways, Wake adcomms, I love you! Scholarship money?

Well if they only sent one blanket out, they know who you are now!

+1 wake adcomms

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

I got my blanket and looked for a scholarship letter, but nothing. :?

I almost forgot about the travel reimbursement. I should get the papers together so I can put that $200 toward my massive tuition payments.....unless the financial aid dept decides to be clutch and throw a few k my way, then I can use it towards something frivolous.

Also, anyone golf? Im looking to play every so often as a 'get away' from law stuff during the semesters. Im told NC has great, cheap golf.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:42 pm

lml09 wrote:Wake just sent me a WFU law school blanket via snail mail!!! They're so sweet, I love blankets!

I assume the rest of you will be getting yours shortly. :D

Got mine today as well!! A really nice gesture, and much appreciated. :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:54 pm

DNAgent wrote:
lml09 wrote:Wake just sent me a WFU law school blanket via snail mail!!! They're so sweet, I love blankets!

I cozied up with mine last night and watched The Verdict. Could I be any lamer? Wasn't last night a Friday too?

Ugh...

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

traehekat wrote:
DNAgent wrote:

I cozied up with mine last night and watched The Verdict. Could I be any lamer? Wasn't last night a Friday too?

Ugh...

You're in good company. I'm snuggled up with mine right now and getting ready to watch The Rainmaker. Once I break out the icecream, it's going to get wild. :twisted:

carine44

Postby carine44 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm a 1L at Wake--congrats and welcome! Just wanted to note a couple things re: orientation (mostly corroborating whenpigsfly):

The law school facebook is on the intranet. It is not like Facebook--the term "facebook" has generally been used interchangeably with yearbook, and that's all this is. You sign in with your WFU credentials to see it, it's organized by section and year, and you can search by name. All that's there is the student's photo with their name underneath, which you can click on to get their school email address. It's actually nice to have a professional headshot taken if you don't already have one, and it serves as a great resource when you're trying to figure out who everyone is.

Habitat for Humanity is not really required. A few people in my section did not attend, and no one cared. Your section will only be scheduled for one day, for a couple of hours. I thought it was nice to be outside and feel useful, but it wasn't really a major bonding experience for me. Show up, hammer/caulk/carry things, go home. You will have a lot of opportunities to volunteer in the community--I really don't think that Wake Law is insulated from the rest of Winston-Salem, as someone said upthread. This year many of us tutored at a nearby school, did volunteer tax prep through Legal Aid downtown, organized food drives, served as guardians ad litem, etc.

Anyway, by the end of that week you will have reading for the rest of your classes (especially if you get Walker for Civ Pro), as well as your first memo assignment to work on, so you'll probably welcome having the rest of the service day off from LRW/other orientation obligations.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm

carine44 wrote:I'm a 1L at Wake--congrats and welcome! Just wanted to note a couple things re: orientation (mostly corroborating whenpigsfly):

The law school facebook is on the intranet. It is not like Facebook--the term "facebook" has generally been used interchangeably with yearbook, and that's all this is. You sign in with your WFU credentials to see it, it's organized by section and year, and you can search by name. All that's there is the student's photo with their name underneath, which you can click on to get their school email address. It's actually nice to have a professional headshot taken if you don't already have one, and it serves as a great resource when you're trying to figure out who everyone is.

Habitat for Humanity is not really required. A few people in my section did not attend, and no one cared. Your section will only be scheduled for one day, for a couple of hours. I thought it was nice to be outside and feel useful, but it wasn't really a major bonding experience for me. Show up, hammer/caulk/carry things, go home. You will have a lot of opportunities to volunteer in the community--I really don't think that Wake Law is insulated from the rest of Winston-Salem, as someone said upthread. This year many of us tutored at a nearby school, did volunteer tax prep through Legal Aid downtown, organized food drives, served as guardians ad litem, etc.

Anyway, by the end of that week you will have reading for the rest of your classes (especially if you get Walker for Civ Pro), as well as your first memo assignment to work on, so you'll probably welcome having the rest of the service day off from LRW/other orientation obligations.

thanks for the additional info. Explaining the facebook-though-not-really-facebook question makes it a lot clearer.

Im sure everyone here would like to know what you have lined up for this summer, if you care to share, and what 1Ls in general have planned.

---
my wake blanket will not be shared with the dog, thats for sure. she thinks every blanket is hers, but im going to show her who the alpha is! :mrgreen:

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:12 pm

moandersen wrote:I got my blanket and looked for a scholarship letter, but nothing. :?

I almost forgot about the travel reimbursement. I should get the papers together so I can put that $200 toward my massive tuition payments.....unless the financial aid dept decides to be clutch and throw a few k my way, then I can use it towards something frivolous.

Also, anyone golf? Im looking to play every so often as a 'get away' from law stuff during the semesters. Im told NC has great, cheap golf.

I'm up for golf anytime. I'm honestly not very good, but it's fun nonetheless.

carine44

Postby carine44 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 pm

moandersen wrote:Im sure everyone here would like to know what you have lined up for this summer, if you care to share, and what 1Ls in general have planned.

:mrgreen:

I am doing one of the study abroad programs for half the summer; the other half, I will be working as a research assistant for one of my professors and as an intern at a small firm.

As for 1Ls in general, this is of course anecdotal but I think almost everyone is doing something law-related. I can say that everyone I know has a job: some are working for judges, doing research for a professor, interning with a DA or in government, volunteering with Legal Aid, and a few have firm jobs. It seems that most were able to find work wherever they wanted--in or outside NC. Split summers are fairly common.

Most people don't discuss pay, but research assistants are paid and I know one person (who did very well this year) has a paid summer associate position lined up.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:11 pm

carine44 wrote:
moandersen wrote:Im sure everyone here would like to know what you have lined up for this summer, if you care to share, and what 1Ls in general have planned.

:mrgreen:

I am doing one of the study abroad programs for half the summer; the other half, I will be working as a research assistant for one of my professors and as an intern at a small firm.

As for 1Ls in general, this is of course anecdotal but I think almost everyone is doing something law-related. I can say that everyone I know has a job: some are working for judges, doing research for a professor, interning with a DA or in government, volunteering with Legal Aid, and a few have firm jobs. It seems that most were able to find work wherever they wanted--in or outside NC. Split summers are fairly common.

Most people don't discuss pay, but research assistants are paid and I know one person (who did very well this year) has a paid summer associate position lined up.

Yeah, a buddy of mine did a paying RA gig in his 1L summer at WFU. So if money is a real issue, I know they do what they can with that type of stuff.

rickter

Postby rickter » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 pm

DNAgent wrote:

Indeed, swag is always nice. Got mine today too.

gogo

Postby gogo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:18 pm

moandersen wrote:I got my blanket and looked for a scholarship letter, but nothing. :?

wait there was travel reimbursement?! i didn't find out about this...?

got a blanket as well...go wake!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 pm

gogo wrote:

\
It was only for people who went to one of the first two open houses (as though were mostly scholarship recipients that wake was trying to lure in)/

gogo

Postby gogo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
gogo wrote:

\
It was only for people who went to one of the first two open houses (as though were mostly scholarship recipients that wake was trying to lure in)/

ahh gotcha. i went to the one i did because it was over spring break...o well. Thanks!

minkins

Postby minkins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 am

Has anyone made reservations at the Courtyard/Marriott for House Hunt? The new Wake website says to call by May 28th and mention WFU Law House Hunt to get a rate of $89 (I stayed with my family when we went to visit and it was like $119 or $129 so that's a nice deal) and anyway the girl on the phone said you were supposed to call by April 16th. I guess something got lost in translation since we JUST got an email with the website... it took a while but eventually she was able to give me the reduced rate. Just a heads up :)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:08 am

PirateCap'n wrote:

Im not great either. Hopefully I get some lessons in before I move down though, so that I can at least have my ball striking consistent.

elliwg6

Postby elliwg6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Im not great either. Hopefully I get some lessons in before I move down though, so that I can at least have my ball striking consistent.

UG now and future 1L here. Just started golfing again this year. A lot of decent public courses around where you can walk for 20-25 on weekends, and ride for a touch more. Most also have student discounts! Unfortunately i think i may have to give up midweek golfing when law school roles around and stick only to the weekends. College was so nice right? Most are pretty solid courses for beginners to intermediates, which i definitely am.

Let me know if your coming down for the house hunt, i'd love to get a few rounds in. Also, i already have my apt at crowne polo, but still figuring out the roommate situation. Anyone can PM me if your still in need of a roommate, or if you just want living/ housing recommendations in general. i'd be a happy to offer some reviews.

park22

Postby park22 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:24 pm

has anyone heard any recent news regarding the wait list?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:25 pm

elliwg6 wrote:UG now and future 1L here. Just started golfing again this year. A lot of decent public courses around where you can walk for 20-25 on weekends, and ride for a touch more. Most also have student discounts! Unfortunately i think i may have to give up midweek golfing when law school roles around and stick only to the weekends. College was so nice right? Most are pretty solid courses for beginners to intermediates, which i definitely am.

Let me know if your coming down for the house hunt, i'd love to get a few rounds in. Also, i already have my apt at crowne polo, but still figuring out the roommate situation. Anyone can PM me if your still in need of a roommate, or if you just want living/ housing recommendations in general. i'd be a happy to offer some reviews.

20-25 for 18holes? If so, thats awesome. I started golfing again last year, after giving it up for about 10 years. The game is just as frustrating as it was back when I was in hs, but I think I appreciate it more now.

I dont think ill be making it in for the house hunt because I will be coming whenever the fiance has job interviews, and the high school we work at has finals surrounding the house hunt weekend. In terms of housing, is there a nice place close to campus that isnt crowne owned? They seem somewhat expensive relative to the other complexes. Still cheap compared to what im used to though....

elliwg6

Postby elliwg6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 pm

moandersen wrote:
elliwg6 wrote:UG now and future 1L here. Just started golfing again this year. A lot of decent public courses around where you can walk for 20-25 on weekends, and ride for a touch more. Most also have student discounts! Unfortunately i think i may have to give up midweek golfing when law school roles around and stick only to the weekends. College was so nice right? Most are pretty solid courses for beginners to intermediates, which i definitely am.

20-25 for 18holes? If so, thats awesome. I started golfing again last year, after giving it up for about 10 years. The game is just as frustrating as it was back when I was in hs, but I think I appreciate it more now.

I dont think ill be making it in for the house hunt because I will be coming whenever the fiance has job interviews, and the high school we work at has finals surrounding the house hunt weekend. In terms of housing, is there a nice place close to campus that isnt crowne owned? They seem somewhat expensive relative to the other complexes. Still cheap compared to what im used to though....

I'd check out Alaris Village. Altough pricewise they may be about the same. They had a sweet special like a month ago for 3 bedroom for 900 but that's over now. There are honestly a bunch of cheaper places around, but they are cheaper for a reason, they aren't as nice and safety is a concern. Deacon Ridge might be another place to consider though. its like a townhouse condo-type thing. but you rent from a landlord not a complex and prices vary wildly and i hear some of the landlords arent very nice to their residents for whatever reason, but that's a small sample size so who knows. I know people who live there and they like it. It also comes furnished a lot of the time i think, so that's a plus for some people.

and yeah, that's the price for 18 holes. very very nice.

TarHeel2010

Postby TarHeel2010 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm

waitlisted today

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 pm

I got a blankie!

Sweet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”